HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > International Tournaments
International Tournaments Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

Was Bobby Clarke Breaking Kharlamov's ankle on Purpose Cheating?

Closed Thread

Old
02-15-2013, 06:30 PM
Stars23*

vCash: 500
Was Bobby Clarke Breaking Kharlamov's ankle on Purpose Cheating?

Was Bobby Clarke Breaking Valeri Kharlamov's ankle on Purpose Cheating?

Canada was losing the series 3-1-1 in after 5 games and in the 6th Game - Team Canada's coaching stuff directed Clarke to attack him.

Lots of people in here in Canada don't even know about the Slash - media has done a great job NEVER bring it up

Old
02-15-2013, 06:54 PM
JackSlater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stars23 View Post

Canada was losing the series 3-1-1 in after 5 games and in the 6th Game - Team Canada's coaching stuff directed Clarke to attack him.
Yes, it was cheating.

Quote:
Lots of people in here in Canada don't even know about the Slash - media has done a great job NEVER bring it up.
Complete lie, though a valiant trolling effort. Clarke's slash is one of the most well known aspects of the series, and the media brings it up frequently when discussing the series. I will say that there are some times when it is glossed over in an effort to make the Summit Series seem like more of a feel good story, but to say they never bring it up is a complete fabrication.

Old
02-15-2013, 07:25 PM
Stars23*

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackSlater View Post
Yes, it was cheating.

Complete lie, though a valiant trolling effort. Clarke's slash is one of the most well known aspects of the series, and the media brings it up frequently when discussing the series. I will say that there are some times when it is glossed over in an effort to make the Summit Series seem like more of a feel good story, but to say they never bring it up is a complete fabrication.
CBC and TSN during the 40th Ann. celebrations NEVER mentioned the incidents. FACT.

Old
02-15-2013, 07:49 PM
JackSlater

Quote:
CBC and TSN during the 40th Ann. celebrations NEVER mentioned the incidents. FACT.
You watched all of the coverage? Even if what you say is true, which I highly doubt (I do agree that those outlets glossed over it during the 40th anniversary shenanigans) your original post said that the media never brings it up, which is a different statement.

Old
02-15-2013, 07:57 PM
v-man

Canada was dirty the entire series. It's always surprised me how much they play up a series that they would have lost if it weren't for being them being dishonourable a-holes and outright cheaters. It was hilarious watching one of the anniversary specials where the narrator said something along the lines of "unseen to the cameras, the soviet players used every dirty play in the book", still trying to justify their use of thuggery all these years later.

Old
02-15-2013, 08:34 PM
Xokkeu

Quote:

Lots of people in here in Canada don't even know about the Slash - media has done a great job NEVER bring it up
Are these people babies, non hockey fans or otherwise mentally challenged? Everybody who has even a passing interest in the Summit Series knows the details. The only question is whether you are proud or ashamed of it.

Old
02-16-2013, 12:53 AM
Stars23*

Quote:
Originally Posted by v-man View Post
Canada was dirty the entire series. It's always surprised me how much they play up a series that they would have lost if it weren't for being them being dishonourable a-holes and outright cheaters. It was hilarious watching one of the anniversary specials where the narrator said something along the lines of "unseen to the cameras, the soviet players used every dirty play in the book", still trying to justify their use of thuggery all these years later.
Very well said! I don't care who wins a game/tournament honestly, as long as it's fair

Old
03-04-2013, 05:34 PM
PaulieVegas

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackSlater View Post
Yes, it was cheating.

The fact that Canada shamelessly considers this one of the great hockey moments in the history of their country is very much a shame. I've seen several documentaries on the Summit Series and every time they talk about this slash, Clarke not only says he doesn't regret it, but he does so with a smile on his face. And not more than 2 minutes after they showed a clip where Phil Esposito whines about a Soviet trying to step on a Canadians' achilles a.l.a. Cooke on Karlson. In fact, the only Canadian I've ever seen in any documentary re: 1972 criticize Clarke was Paul Henderson...who happened to score the series winning goal.

It's typical Canada: they win, and they're the greatest, even if they had to intentionally break an opponent's ankle to get there. If they lose, their opponent must have cheated. I mean, what other explanation could there be for all-mighty Canada losing, right?

Let's face it: we're talking about a country that's in serious denial about their place in the hockey world. No one can reasonably dispute they are #1...in fact, when you consider talent level, depth, accomplishments at the international level, and percentage of players at the NHL level, any reasonable person would say Canada is #1. But, only Canadians are unwilling to admit that other countries are getting closer and closer to knock them off that perch. This country is so desperate to cling to their place as the undispute kings of hockey that they'll make any excuse and any justification when they don't win.

What Bobby Clarke did was a disgrace, but the fact Canada considers it one of their greatest hockey monents is an even bigger disgrace (the other three: Henderson's series winning goal, Crosby's OT goal in 2010, and the Gretzky-to-Lemieux goal that won the 1986 Canada Cup (which, by the way, should never have counted given there was an obvious hook at center ice by Canada on a Soviet defender which a Canadian referee suspisciously didn't call). When Canada and Russia were playing actual hockey in the Summit Series, the Soviets dominated. When Canada decided playing hockey wasn't working and decided to turn it into a professional wrestling on ice, that's when they started winning. They couldn't win with talent, the could only win by "gooning" it up.

Clarke cheated. That he still smiles and laughs about it today and had no regrets, which is the same attitude most Canadians have about that monet, is dispicable.

Ban me if you don't like hearing the truth.

Old
03-04-2013, 05:50 PM
hitmen19

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulieVegas View Post
The fact that Canada shamelessly considers this one of the great hockey moments in the history of their country is very much a shame. I've seen several documentaries on the Summit Series and every time they talk about this slash, Clarke not only says he doesn't regret it, but he does so with a smile on his face. And not more than 2 minutes after they showed a clip where Phil Esposito whines about a Soviet trying to step on a Canadians' achilles a.l.a. Cooke on Karlson. In fact, the only Canadian I've ever seen in any documentary re: 1972 criticize Clarke was Paul Henderson...who happened to score the series winning goal.

It's typical Canada: they win, and they're the greatest, even if they had to intentionally break an opponent's ankle to get there. If they lose, their opponent must have cheated. I mean, what other explanation could there be for all-mighty Canada losing, right?

Let's face it: we're talking about a country that's in serious denial about their place in the hockey world. No one can reasonably dispute they are #1...in fact, when you consider talent level, depth, accomplishments at the international level, and percentage of players at the NHL level, any reasonable person would say Canada is #1. But, only Canadians are unwilling to admit that other countries are getting closer and closer to knock them off that perch. This country is so desperate to cling to their place as the undispute kings of hockey that they'll make any excuse and any justification when they don't win.

What Bobby Clarke did was a disgrace, but the fact Canada considers it one of their greatest hockey monents is an even bigger disgrace (the other three: Henderson's series winning goal, Crosby's OT goal in 2010, and the Gretzky-to-Lemieux goal that won the 1986 Canada Cup (which, by the way, should never have counted given there was an obvious hook at center ice by Canada on a Soviet defender which a Canadian referee suspisciously didn't call). When Canada and Russia were playing actual hockey in the Summit Series, the Soviets dominated. When Canada decided playing hockey wasn't working and decided to turn it into a professional wrestling on ice, that's when they started winning. They couldn't win with talent, the could only win by "gooning" it up.

Clarke cheated. That he still smiles and laughs about it today and had no regrets, which is the same attitude most Canadians have about that monet, is dispicable.

Really? I haven't ever heard one person complain about losing in Nagano that the czech's cheated, or anybody ever saying in 96 that the USA cheated, or in 06 torino, anybody ever claiming that it anything but a horrendous showing. Can you provide the proof, that Canadians made any such claims regarding cheating by the other team. These are the only example of Canada losing at the best on best level, as we have won all the others.

Second, Canada's talent and the worlds was considerably larger and is shrinking everyday. Again I would ask you to provide any proof that any Canadian has ever said it isn't, Everyone admits that the hockey talent in the world has caught up. it just makes the wins that much more satisfying. Please don't make sensational claims without proof.

Third, the summit series was a huge moment, and larger then a hockey series back in 72 because of where the world was. It was just as much as a communist vs free world thing back then. In the years since, has the slash diminished the hockey result. most definetly, it has. Has it diminished it in the context of what it meant to the country in 1972, as a east vs west, US vs them, no it hasn't.

Last edited by hitmen19: 03-04-2013 at 06:04 PM.
Old
03-04-2013, 06:06 PM
Frank the Tank
The Oiler Tankers

Quote:
Originally Posted by hitmen19 View Post
Really? I haven't ever heard one person complain about losing in Nagano that the czech's cheated, or anybody ever saying in 96 that the USA cheated, or in 06 torino, anybody ever claiming that it anything but a horrendous showing. Can you provide the proof, that Canadians made any such claims regarding cheating by the other team. These are the only example of Canada losing at the best on best level, as we have won all the others.

Second, Canada talent and the worlds was considerably larger and is shrinking everyday. Again I would ask you to provide any proof that any Canadian has ever said it isn't, and that the world has caught up. Please don't make sensational claims without proof.

Third, the summit series was a huge moment, and larger then a hockey series back in 72 because of where the world was. It was just as much as a communist vs free world thing back then. In the years since, has the slash diminished the hockey result. most definetly, it has. Has it diminished it in the context of what it meant to the country in 1972, as a east vs west, US vs them, no it hasn't.
I congratulate you on a well thought out response to a poster building a lot of strawmen and spouting hyperbole in an effort to start an argument.

As to the original post, was it a violation of the rules? Yes. Was it part of the battle that was the Summit Series? Yes.

Old
03-04-2013, 06:47 PM
JackSlater

Quote:
Sorry to PaulieVegas that the players involved in the most tense hockey a Canadian has ever experiences don't express tremendous remorse over Clarke's actions. They should be more like the Soviets. They never stop apologizing for the kick at Bergman or the blatant slash that lead to Henderson's concussion. Obviously it is reasonable to expect the players involved to collectively denounce their whole team due to the actions of one player.

Quote:
Typical indeed. Would you care to provide some of the examples of Canadian opponents cheating that are typically cited? They seem to be slipping my mind.

Quote:
Well you see, most Canadians aren't aware that it is their responsibility to pump the tires of every other country when it comes to hockey. Anyway, this year there are only 14 Canadians among the top 20 NHL scorers. Way back in the year 2000, there were a whopping 9 Canadians in the top 20. Congratulations, rest of the world, for getting closer and closer to knocking Canada off its perch.

Quote:
Legitimate question: how many times have you actually watched the full games of the SS?

Quote:
Clarke is undoubtedly a jerk. Sadly so are all Canadians, since they do not collectively issue a formal apology for Clarke's actions.

Quote:
You are truly a brave martyr.

Old
03-04-2013, 07:13 PM
Alberta tough

Quote:

How in the Hell do you know what most Canadians think about that "monet".

Old
03-05-2013, 01:35 AM
Xokkeu

Quote:
Originally Posted by hitmen19 View Post

Second, Canada's talent and the worlds was considerably larger and is shrinking everyday. Again I would ask you to provide any proof that any Canadian has ever said it isn't, Everyone admits that the hockey talent in the world has caught up. it just makes the wins that much more satisfying. Please don't make sensational claims without proof.

Very good point.

Question though, does 1981 not count as best on best?

Old
03-05-2013, 03:31 AM
stv11
Global Moderator

This won't go anywhere good.

Closed Thread