HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Prospect Thread XV

Closed Thread

Old
02-23-2013, 04:54 PM
Hodgy

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hansen 36 View Post
Beattie could surprise too. Once you can just absolutely dominate a league like he did in highschool and know how to do it, being a good player in a higher league isn't exactly out of reach with determination and great work ethic.
The disparity in talent in high school hockey in the US is huge. It isn't like the CHL, or even like the BCHL. It isn't that uncommon for players to dominate high school hockey in the US. The overwhelming majority of US high school hockey players have almost zero prospects of even playing competitive hockey after high school, let alone being drafted or playing pro hockey. So I wouldn't put tons of stock into the fact he dominated. I think a late draft pick coming out of the CHL with pretty mediocre offensive numbers could dominate US high school hockey.

Patrick White also dominated US high school hockey....

Old
02-23-2013, 05:11 PM
vanuck
#Gaunce4GM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hodgy View Post
Patrick White also dominated US high school hockey....
Problem was, he was a 1st round pick.

Old
02-23-2013, 05:40 PM
RobertKron

Pat White also did well in limited USHL games. He just got to college and totally sucked.

Last edited by RobertKron: 02-23-2013 at 06:26 PM.
Old
02-23-2013, 05:47 PM
Hansen 36
BASED JIM BENNING

vCash: 420
Ah, alright, didn't know that Highschool hockey was that terrible in comparison.

That said, I still think Matt Beattie could surprise us, and if not, it's a seventh round pick.

Old
02-23-2013, 05:54 PM
thefeebster

The Good:

Price - by most accounts has taken a big leadership role on his team. Colgate started out well, but began to stumble in since mid Jan. He may match his last seasons stats, in terms of points, but he already has more goals than last season and may reach a career high which is 6 goals. He has 5 right now. But this is not the important focus. His coach has leaned on him defensively and he has really rounded out his game in that sense according to his coach. This can be seen with the oh-so controversial +/- stat. He has been a career minus player in his time with Colgate (-2, -8, and -6). He is a +14 this season.

Hutton- is said to have been a key player on the back-end for Maine. Prior to his injury, he was used on the PP and sparingly on the PK, and was leading in defensive scoring on Maine (still is), who was the lowest scoring team in the Nation (meaning across all NCAA leagues). Before the injury to i think his shoulder (my speculation), he had a lull statistically, but has 3 PTS in his last 2 games. Using the +/- again, he has impressed, he is even on the year, leading all defensemen on the team, 3rd in +/- on the team. This is even more impressive when you see that Maine is a collective -17 and when he is not being given easy minutes. When i listen to his games, he appears to have a knack on the PP, holding in pucks at the line and getting them on the net. By the sounds of it, he has not at all hesitant in shooting.

The Average:

LaBate - started out the season listless and was quite the passenger. Something clicked after their weekend series with Minnesota (Nov 16-17) and he became a different player per Andy Johnson (aka Chuck Schwartz for those who have been following him). He turned his game around, became an impact player and for several games the best skater on the ice. During this time he was on the first line with Lee and Mersch. They showed great chemistry and were the line that was driving the play in the couple of games i saw in Jan. He looked much stronger on his skates, better awareness defensively, and created a lot of chances himself. He does not get PK time, but is on the PP. Then because Barnes+Zengerle+Kerdiles showed little chemistry and weren't producing like they should, Coach Eaves broke up the top line and put Zengerle with LaBate and Mersch. This led to lowered production by LaBate, perhaps they didn't have much chemistry, because i think Zengerle got moved down and they reunited the first line again.

Statistically, he has regressed, but a lot of players on Wisconsin have with the departure of Schultz and they had a really poor 1st half. Expected better, but seems to becoming more of an impact player. And as an aside, the Badgers do a shootout every week, i believe, LaBate won for several weeks consecutively.

The Bad:

Beattie - started out the year as a regular on the bottom 6 LW. In the games I watched, he looked good in a forechecking role, but accomplished little offensively at ES and brief promotions on the PP. He looks afraid to shoot. Then was either benched or injured or simply lost his place in the roster for more than a month. And ever since then, has been rotated in and out of the lineup. Last game i watched, he was used on the 4th line, which played very little, benched in the 3rd. Only player who has played more than 10 games to not have a point. Disappointing, considering how much he dominated prep.

He has good tools and a good base. He will need his full 4 years and I hope he will not leave early.

The Naughty

McNally - Nothing more needs to be said really.

Old
02-23-2013, 06:06 PM

Matt Beattie has played in only 15 of Yale's 26 games, and has been in and out of the lineup in an apparently random pattern (I checked every lineup and box score). He's also been spotted around on different lines at both LW and RW. His stat line is as flat as Kansas except for 8 penalty minutes. For a gung-ho guy who said he wanted to make an impact, and was billed as Yale's prize forward recruit, this season must be very disappointing.

I don't think the Pingry school's New Jersey hockey league can compare with big time Minnesota high school hockey, although being originally from Minnesota, that might be no more than a prejudice of mine. Beattie did do exceptionally well as a scorer during his grad year at Exeter, however, which is in a higher league than Pingry. Yale is a strong team despite its recent string of losses. Let's hope that Beattie learns from this freshman season, and finds a regular spot in the lineup next fall.

Edit: Aw man feebs ya beat me to it

Old
02-23-2013, 06:36 PM
vanuck
#Gaunce4GM

Thanks for the writeup, feebs. Hopefully Beattie stays the course for all 4 years. He seems to have the tools but just needs to put it together somehow.

Hutton sure seems to shoot a lot. Does he play the right side?

Also looking forward to Price joining the Wolves in a few months... they could use another RH D-man.

Old
02-23-2013, 06:51 PM
thefeebster

Quote:
Originally Posted by 701 View Post
Matt Beattie has played in only 15 of Yale's 26 games, and has been in and out of the lineup in an apparently random pattern (I checked every lineup and box score). He's also been spotted around on different lines at both LW and RW. His stat line is as flat as Kansas except for 8 penalty minutes. For a gung-ho guy who said he wanted to make an impact, and was billed as Yale's prize forward recruit, this season must be very disappointing.

I don't think the Pingry school's New Jersey hockey league can compare with big time Minnesota high school hockey, although being originally from Minnesota, that might be no more than a prejudice of mine. Beattie did do exceptionally well as a scorer during his grad year at Exeter, however, which is in a higher league than Pingry. Yale is a strong team despite its recent string of losses. Let's hope that Beattie learns from this freshman season, and finds a regular spot in the lineup next fall.

Edit: Aw man feebs ya beat me to it
Turn that frown upside down! Never a bad thing to have another opinion.

I think I've only ever seen him on the LW, but with the way he plays, he is sort of all over the ice positionally.
------

Hutton plays the left side.

Old
02-23-2013, 07:11 PM
vanuck
#Gaunce4GM

^ But is it a bad thing to have a second opinion?

With Hutton, it looks like we got yet another 5th round diamond in the rough. Very impressive first season in college.

Old
02-23-2013, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefeebster View Post
Turn that frown upside down! Never a bad thing to have another opinion.

I think I've only ever seen him on the LW, but with the way he plays, he is sort of all over the ice positionally.
------

Hutton plays the left side.
It might be an ongoing official box score screwup, feebs, but on the other hand, they always have, say, Laganiere at RW, but Beattie is shown on the right side and listed at RW for several games, though much more at LW as you say. Might be erroneous, but I actually was mildly pleased to see him being spotted in a versatile fashion in the 58 % of Yale's games that he's been dressed for.

Box scores with lineups for all the games here:

http://collegehockeystats.net/1213/schedules/yalm

Old
02-23-2013, 07:34 PM
OEL for Norris
"Derpman-Larsson"

Gaunce with 2 assists so far

Old
02-23-2013, 07:42 PM
Hansen 36
BASED JIM BENNING

vCash: 420
Quote:
The Good:

The Average:

LaBate - started out the season listless and was quite the passenger. Something clicked after their weekend series with Minnesota (Nov 16-17) and he became a different player per Andy Johnson (aka Chuck Schwartz for those who have been following him). He turned his game around, became an impact player and for several games the best skater on the ice. During this time he was on the first line with Lee and Mersch. They showed great chemistry and were the line that was driving the play in the couple of games i saw in Jan. He looked much stronger on his skates, better awareness defensively, and created a lot of chances himself. He does not get PK time, but is on the PP. Then because Barnes+Zengerle+Kerdiles showed little chemistry and weren't producing like they should, Coach Eaves broke up the top line and put Zengerle with LaBate and Mersch. This led to lowered production by LaBate, perhaps they didn't have much chemistry, because i think Zengerle got moved down and they reunited the first line again.

Statistically, he has regressed, but a lot of players on Wisconsin have with the departure of Schultz and they had a really poor 1st half. Expected better, but seems to becoming more of an impact player. And as an aside, the Badgers do a shootout every week, i believe, LaBate won for several weeks consecutively.
Maybe LaBate was on a dry streak in more ways then one until he got back home to Minny. Maybe he has a girl back home in Minny. That could explain him being off his game.

Old
02-23-2013, 08:12 PM
lindgren

Quote:
The Good:

Price - by most accounts has taken a big leadership role on his team. Colgate started out well, but began to stumble in since mid Jan. He may match his last seasons stats, in terms of points, but he already has more goals than last season and may reach a career high which is 6 goals. He has 5 right now. But this is not the important focus. His coach has leaned on him defensively and he has really rounded out his game in that sense according to his coach. This can be seen with the oh-so controversial +/- stat. He has been a career minus player in his time with Colgate (-2, -8, and -6). He is a +14 this season.

Hutton- is said to have been a key player on the back-end for Maine. Prior to his injury, he was used on the PP and sparingly on the PK, and was leading in defensive scoring on Maine (still is), who was the lowest scoring team in the Nation (meaning across all NCAA leagues). Before the injury to i think his shoulder (my speculation), he had a lull statistically, but has 3 PTS in his last 2 games. Using the +/- again, he has impressed, he is even on the year, leading all defensemen on the team, 3rd in +/- on the team. This is even more impressive when you see that Maine is a collective -17 and when he is not being given easy minutes. When i listen to his games, he appears to have a knack on the PP, holding in pucks at the line and getting them on the net. By the sounds of it, he has not at all hesitant in shooting.

The Average:

The Bad:

Beattie - started out the year as a regular on the bottom 6 LW. In the games I watched, he looked good in a forechecking role, but accomplished little offensively at ES and brief promotions on the PP. He looks afraid to shoot. Then was either benched or injured or simply lost his place in the roster for more than a month. And ever since then, has been rotated in and out of the lineup. Last game i watched, he was used on the 4th line, which played very little, benched in the 3rd. Only player who has played more than 10 games to not have a point. Disappointing, considering how much he dominated prep.

He has good tools and a good base. He will need his full 4 years and I hope he will not leave early.

The Naughty

McNally - Nothing more needs to be said really.
I'm surprised that nobody has thanked me for requesting this information and thus making such an important contribution to the thread ...

Thanks to thefeebster!

Old
02-24-2013, 05:52 AM
e91a

About Jensen

The article on his trade is absolutley wrong. The reason for AIK wanting to trade him was not that "they thought they would miss the playoffs" and try to get something back. It was that Jensen has been a struggle in the lineups cause he does not do a defensive job. He is lazy as **** when it comes to helping the teammates. And he does not use his body enough.

It was simple, we had better players who worked out better in the play-style. He is a really great player offensive with that shot, but he needs to work on his defense. The reason AIK wanted to trade was to get a greater asset into the team FOR the playoffs since they have never said " we will miss it" and it sure looks like they might make it now.

The coach had a talk with jensen just some days ago about that he has to work better as a teamplayer in the group, not only solo-performence.

Old
02-24-2013, 06:48 AM
me2
Team Ben Anti-Tank 0

vCash: 93
Thanks for that update e91a. Sounds like we are getting to the bottom of the Jensen saga.

Old
02-24-2013, 09:30 AM
IComeInPeace

Quote:
Originally Posted by e91a View Post
About Jensen

The article on his trade is absolutley wrong. The reason for AIK wanting to trade him was not that "they thought they would miss the playoffs" and try to get something back. It was that Jensen has been a struggle in the lineups cause he does not do a defensive job. He is lazy as **** when it comes to helping the teammates. And he does not use his body enough.

It was simple, we had better players who worked out better in the play-style. He is a really great player offensive with that shot, but he needs to work on his defense. The reason AIK wanted to trade was to get a greater asset into the team FOR the playoffs since they have never said " we will miss it" and it sure looks like they might make it now.

The coach had a talk with jensen just some days ago about that he has to work better as a teamplayer in the group, not only solo-performence.
That is great info to read, but it would be nice to know the source(s) you are hearing/learning that from.
Could you please provide a link?

Old
02-24-2013, 09:46 AM
ImGoingNucks
Worst Poster Ever xo

vCash: 407
Im hearing the word Lazy & Jensen allot! If true, that is of great concern!

Old
02-24-2013, 10:05 AM
BerSTUzzi

Quote:
Originally Posted by VikingNuck View Post
Im hearing the word Lazy & Jensen allot! If true, that is of great concern!
We heard the opposite of that during last years training camp, AV loved the effort that Jensen gave. AV is not one to go out of his way to compliment a rookie unless they play his type of hockey. If this is only an issue at "lower" levels and never becomes one at the NHL (can't see with the Twins here) the who cares?

Old
02-24-2013, 10:08 AM
Tiranis

Last time we trusted rumours we were proven completely wrong. I'm just going to trust what Gillis says for now. With them 5 points behind a playoffs spot, it's pretty safe to say they're going to miss them.

When he played in the AHL I didn't think he was very good defensively but he wasn't lazy or poor, just average maybe slightly below average for pro standards. Honestly, he's not a lot worse than Kassian in that regard.

Old
02-24-2013, 10:47 AM
ImGoingNucks
Worst Poster Ever xo

vCash: 407
Quote:
Originally Posted by BerSTUzzi View Post
We heard the opposite of that during last years training camp, AV loved the effort that Jensen gave. AV is not one to go out of his way to compliment a rookie unless they play his type of hockey. If this is only an issue at "lower" levels and never becomes one at the NHL (can't see with the Twins here) the who cares?
That's true, and I did say to myself I wouldn't believe any further rumours.
I also said at some point, that I think there is more to it.

But as you say, as long as this only go's for the lower leves, the who cares

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiranis View Post
Last time we trusted rumours we were proven completely wrong. I'm just going to trust what Gillis says for now. With them 5 points behind a playoffs spot, it's pretty safe to say they're going to miss them.

When he played in the AHL I didn't think he was very good defensively but he wasn't lazy or poor, just average maybe slightly below average for pro standards. Honestly, he's not a lot worse than Kassian in that regard.
I think you are dead right in doing so, and I will too My heart just really want's this one to pan out

Yeah, well as long as we aren't talking Hodgson bad, then im ok with it.

Old
02-24-2013, 11:28 AM
Catamarca Livin

Quote:
Originally Posted by e91a View Post
About Jensen

Seems like spin from the team to Justify not playing their top goal scorer and trying to trade him. He is no longer good enough defensively to play on the pp? You can tell they are spinning. He has impefections in his game but being the best goal scorer on the team should cover those up right. I have not watched a game but i know you do not have better players available if you did Jensen would not have played so much to begin with. Not important as AIK has got to worry about there future and getting a player back for a rental would have been good for them. Luckily rumors do not spread from Sweden to NA well so it will not affect Jensen repretation here.

Old
02-24-2013, 11:28 AM
IComeInPeace

With his fathers pro experience to pull from, I think Jensen's hockey career seems to be very well planned out.
It seems they thought out and planned the decision to play in Oshawa, and also even moreso to go to Sweden this yr.
There was risk in going to Sweden, and I think they were well aware of that. I would think they thought the decision through in great detail.

I have a hard time believing he's just suddenly start acting like a donkey, like a kid who has no idea what it takes both on and off the ice to make it to the show.

Could he have an ego? Sure he could. He excelled in his first pro camp, excelled in his first pro call up and is exceeding expectations in the SEL.

However, I have a very hard time believing a guy who has planned his every step towards an NHL career so well, and with the aid of his father who knows what it takes, would suddenly start acting like a donkey, as if he has no idea that could hurt his future.

When Cody seemed to be milking his injury (not to me and most of you), the Canucks had no problem calling him on it.
If Jensen screwed up in Sweden, I don't think the Canucks would make any excuses for him at all. I think they'd go the same route and be very honest and say something to the effect that 'he's a kid, on a struggling team, and he experienced some frustration', or 'like a lot of guys his age, he has to learn to play without the puck etc...'
It would take nothing to simply make a statement like that. But Gillis didn't say that. He stated there were other factors at play, and I believe him.

Also, when a young kid is 'punished' for transgressions, it usually doesn't play out like this does it? He's still not seeing any significant ice, although he's the best scorer on the team. Wouldn't they play him, and ascertain if his commitment to defense has improved?
It doesn't seem like they are even giving him a chance to show them he's willing to commit to better play without the puck.
Your leading scorer is going to be shut down for the season because he sucked on defense. There will be no opportunity to show he's improved in that respect???
I don't believe that at all.

I've never seen that happen before, and have a really difficult time believing there is not something else at play here (as Gillis alluded to).

Old
02-24-2013, 11:40 AM
Lundface*

Looks like its time to use Jensen with the Sedins, build up his value and unload him at the draft

Old
02-24-2013, 11:59 AM
Bad News Benning
no news is good news

vCash: 390
Send a message via MSN to Bad News Benning
Bad news, AIK gave up 5 goals and it's all Jensen's fault.
good news, he scored a goal but needs to score 4 more to make up for all the goals he's directly responsible for.

Old
02-24-2013, 11:59 AM
ItsAllPartOfThePlan

Man..at times like this, I wish MacT was still coaching the Wolves. He did wonders with Schroeder's defense game. Could do the same with Jensen

Closed Thread