HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Hockey Fights
Hockey Fights Discuss and rate hockey fights and fighters of today and from the past. Videos welcome!

Joe Thornton vs Jonathan Toews Feb 15th 2013

Closed Thread

Old
02-16-2013, 08:38 AM
ThirdManIn
Mod Supervisor

vCash: 500

ITT: Toews being an idiot. Great fight! Even better quote!

Old
02-16-2013, 08:46 AM
BmxHockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by sub_zero94 View Post
Randy is from Edmonton and Drew is from Saskatoon ....

unless you meant American, as in North American announcers?
Canadian announcers are brutal.

Old
02-16-2013, 08:47 AM
ThirdManIn
Mod Supervisor

Any announcer I don't like is brutal. Who cares? Back on topic.

Old
02-16-2013, 08:53 AM
Oshie97

sharp is too funny.Thornton was like sure I guess, don't wanna hurt ya sport.

Old
02-16-2013, 08:53 AM
ovenbaked

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokey McCanucks View Post
Why can't anybody beat these stupid tools, they are not that good. Didn't anybody see Sharp hit himself in the face to draw a hi-sticking the other night? Why do the Hawks get a free pass on all their BS? Granted the Sharks are garbage too and karmically have it coming, but why won't anyone bear down and beat this dang team, they are wicked overrated.
They have been beaten bud...3 times so far

Anyhow, I know I wasn't the only one holding my breath during that fight. Thornton could have destroyed him

Old
02-16-2013, 09:08 AM
Caroline Says ll
Bismarck

Send a message via ICQ to Caroline Says ll
Quote:
Originally Posted by LetEmKnow View Post
Ah yes, he's won a lot of cups in SJ. My bad. Point being they'll never win a cup with that nucleus. They just don't get the job done in the biggest games when it counts the most. Sorry most people want to talk about Toews like he's inferior to Thornton for losing a fight, but he's accomplished everything in hockey at 24, not sure about No Show Joe. Who cares if Thornton won the fight, it was the message that they're not gonna take his antics. But blame the refs, it was their fault SJ gave up 9 goals in two games
Ah this again. Winning the Stanley Cup is a team accomplishment, not an individual accomplishment. Take Thornton's time in San Jose, and he is a PPG player.

Take for example Chicago winning the cup. Toews won the Conn Smythe, however, it could be argued that Kane or Keith were just as valuable. It was a group effort, take one player out of the equation and the success of Chicago would be drastically different.

This image of "No Show Joe" is by the media who loves to equate Cups with individual success, and than is passed on by hockey fans who don't have time to actually watch him play in the playoffs, but want to act like they are informed in all things hockey, so they spread it blindly thinking it makes them sound smarter.

Old
02-16-2013, 09:43 AM
Shockmaster

You can tell Thornton went easy on him. Had he not, and considering Toews' past issues with concussions, Thornton really could've put him out for a while.

Old
02-16-2013, 10:36 AM
Mattb124

Thornton didn't go that hard to begin with and quit when Toews turtled. I was pretty shocked Toews pussed out so badly once his lid came off after the cross check and instigating the fight. If only Thorton would have yanked him back to his feet and beat on him some more a al the Doughty fight from game 81 or 82 last year. That was hilarious.

Old
02-16-2013, 10:49 AM
Getz2perry

Thorntons overall reaction to the whole thing was priceless, i think he was slightly embarrassed that the lil guy was trying to fight him lol

Old
02-16-2013, 10:52 AM
fly4apuckguy
Mr. Old School

My respect for Toews just went up. I am a fan of big Joe, but the fact that Toews knowingly takes on a guy who is so big shows how much heart the guy has.

Good on both of them. Just boys having fun.

Old
02-16-2013, 10:57 AM
nabob
Hall for captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoobMoob View Post
No, he got the original call for boarding(before the fight) but no instigator or visor call. There is no visor call without an instigator.

Edit: After looking at the box score, he took an unsportsman like in lieu of the double minor for instigator+visor.
well that sure was nice of the refs to call it that way instead of by the book. Not preferential treatment for star players at all lol.

Old
02-16-2013, 11:05 AM
topnotch

Toews was goading Thornton into a fight, hence the unsportsman like conduct penalty. But if you read the game writeup, Thorton admits that Toews challenges him, and Thornton accepted the fight. How is that an instigator?

Old
02-16-2013, 11:08 AM
Getz2perry

Quote:
Originally Posted by topnotch View Post
Toews was goading Thornton into a fight, hence the unsportsman like conduct penalty. But if you read the game writeup, Thorton admits that Toews challenges him, and Thornton accepted the fight. How is that an instigator?
He did go out of his way to challange him while wearing a visor.... seems like text book instigating to me.... hell he could got a cross check an interference an instigator and a fightin.

Old
02-16-2013, 11:08 AM
Mattb124

Quote:
Originally Posted by fly4apuckguy View Post
My respect for Toews just went up. I am a fan of big Joe, but the fact that Toews knowingly takes on a guy who is so big shows how much heart the guy has.

Good on both of them. Just boys having fun.
I would have agreed until he turtled, but I actually lost respect for him due to the way he pussed out after his helmet was removed. The concussion history probably plays into that, but he shouldn't be starting things he is unwilling to finish.

Old
02-16-2013, 11:09 AM
BlackhawksPower88

To the shark fans that say the Hawks are over rated. what has your team accomplished? Blackhawks are better in every aspect of the game then the Sharks, with the exception of the powerplay... Hawks are the best team in the nhl hands down.

Old
birddog*

Quote:
Originally Posted by CousCous33 View Post
That kid led his team to a Stanley Cup.
That kid is lucky Thornton didn't want to hurt him because he could have.

Old
Stahl2Stall
LOTTERY RALLY TEXT

Quote:
Originally Posted by HF007 View Post
Toews is gonna demand that the hawks sign lindros
Don't remember those Rangers jerseys, they look like the ones from the 70s

Old
02-16-2013, 11:11 AM
Getz2perry

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackhawksPower88 View Post
To the shark fans that say the Hawks are over rated. what has your team accomplished? Blackhawks are better in every aspect of the game then the Sharks, with the exception of the powerplay... Hawks are the best team in the nhl hands down.
I wouldn't call it hands down.

Old
02-16-2013, 11:24 AM
deytookerjaabs
Registered Smut User

Quote:
Hawks are the best team in the nhl hands down.
Yeah, no, way too much parity to make a statement like that.

Old
02-16-2013, 11:31 AM
Chris Hansen
Team Tyrion

Quote:
Haven't read this thread too thoroughly but I think it's been only one person to say that, and he was a Vancouver fan.

Also, no, they aren't. Regular season means nothing come playoff time, and a bunch of wins in the first 14 games of the year don't make you the best team in the NHL at all, let alone "hands down."
Hottest team (at the moment)? Sure.

Old
02-16-2013, 11:32 AM
Milan the God*
king karlsson

vCash: 860
Not sure why Toews wanted to fight him. He hit Thornton and was getting a penalty and just starts cross checking him.

Seemed like Toews wanted to fight just to fight. Stupid, especially considering he has a visor while Thornton didn't. Good thing Jumbo Joe took it easy on him.

Old
02-16-2013, 11:33 AM
Chris Hansen
Team Tyrion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milan the Great View Post
Not sure why Toews wanted to fight him. He hit Thornton and was getting a penalty and just starts cross checking him.

Seemed like Toews wanted to fight just to fight. Stupid, especially considering he has a visor while Thornton didn't. Good thing Jumbo Joe took it easy on him.
Just guessing but given I've never seen Toews like that in his career, I think he was going after him since Thornton was the one to give Toews his concussion last year. Off of a cheap punch to the back of the head when Toews was being pulled away from a scrum near the benches.

Good on Thornton for not going a little harder. To be honest, I think he knows why it happened, is fully aware that he's much stronger and bigger than Toews, and may have even respected Toews for sticking up for himself... sort of.
After getting crosschecked like that, I know I would've been pretty pissed. Thornton kept his cool.

Old
02-16-2013, 11:34 AM
stakesishigh
how swede it is

Toews seemed a little too aggressive there. He's lucky Thornton didn't kill him.

Love both of these players though!

Old
02-16-2013, 11:35 AM
Killem Dafoe
modus operandi

vCash: 263
1. Great fight. Humorous to begin with and even funnier after reading the quotes.

2. A super big LOL to the people saying the Hawks are overrated. They are a solid team and I for one will be biting off all my nails and removing breakable objects in my house when we have to play them, that's for sure.

Old
02-16-2013, 11:36 AM
BlamBlam

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyH3aven View Post
So, is that going to be awkward when they're on the Olympic team together next year?
I'm not so sure Thornton is a lock for that team.

Closed Thread