HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Notices

Islanders Ownership Future

Old
02-11-2013, 12:52 PM
beach
Things are looking

vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to beach
Islanders Ownership Future

The more I analyze the team's actions recently, the more I think they are about to be sold, or already have an agreement in principal to be sold. The Tim Thomas move will essentially allow the Isles to unload even more salary before the trade deadline. If the intent was to start spending in anticipation of putting a good product on the ice upon initial arrival in Brooklyn, then this action is contrary to that supposition.

Usually, for accounting purposes, a team's payroll will be brought down as low as possible just before a team is sold. I think that ultimately, Wang was willing to keep the team and spend some money if the Lighthouse Project was approved. Now, even if there is money to be made in Brooklyn, I think Wang's interests lie in real estate.

I predict that the team's sale will be announced this summer. And I think Ratner will have some sort of stake in the team. Makes too much sense. Steps down from his role at his own company, signs on as a consultant for the new coliseum development......

beach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 12:56 PM
lorwood

If there is ever going to be a sale the move to Brooklyn would be the opportune time and it seems (at least on the surface) that the Barclays ownership group would be the logical buyers.

With that said we are talking the Islanders so logic has nothing to do with it.

lorwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 12:58 PM
OlTimeHockey

Wang won't sell until the value is higher.....much higher. If only the NHL allowed 13 month calendars.

Then again, it's tough to cook the books when your product is on live TV and several media outlets.

OlTimeHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 12:59 PM
IceAce
HEY BUD, LETS PARTY!

vCash: 300
It doesnt make sense for the Barclay's group to buy us now unless they plan on buying us out of the last two years of the Coliseum lease 2 years early.

IceAce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 01:02 PM
lorwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by IceAce View Post
It doesnt make sense for the Barclay's group to buy us now unless they plan on buying us out of the last two years of the Coliseum lease 2 years early.
Agreed a sale to Barclay's would happen in 2015 or 2016.

Old
02-11-2013, 01:04 PM
lorwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by OlTimeHockey View Post
Wang won't sell until the value is higher.....much higher. If only the NHL allowed 13 month calendars.

Then again, it's tough to cook the books when your product is on live TV and several media outlets.
I wonder if come 2015 Barclays would be willing to "overpay" a bit for the team. Those extra 41 dates the TV contract and getting the entire pie may be pretty enticing.

Old
02-11-2013, 01:05 PM
CDirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by beach View Post
The more I analyze the team's actions recently, the more I think they are about to be sold, or already have an agreement in principal to be sold. The Tim Thomas move will essentially allow the Isles to unload even more salary before the trade deadline. If the intent was to start spending in anticipation of putting a good product on the ice upon initial arrival in Brooklyn, then this action is contrary to that supposition.

Usually, for accounting purposes, a team's payroll will be brought down as low as possible just before a team is sold. I think that ultimately, Wang was willing to keep the team and spend some money if the Lighthouse Project was approved. Now, even if there is money to be made in Brooklyn, I think Wang's interests lie in real estate.

I predict that the team's sale will be announced this summer. And I think Ratner will have some sort of stake in the team. Makes too much sense. Steps down from his role at his own company, signs on as a consultant for the new coliseum development......
Holy crap!!! I just posted the same exact thing nearly word for word on another thread.

Quote:
Wang is going to sell this team. It's only a matter of time. I'll put it by the summer he announces his intention to sell. Since his Lighthouse Project went belly up he's doing everything to decrease his payroll hence boost potential profits from the sale.

It really wasn't much of a secret that his intention buying this team was as a political pawn for the hub project. I'd venture to guess that the next owner (s) will be a conglomerate of people including Bruce Ratner.

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh...1346521&page=2

CDirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 01:10 PM
Original Rob

Barclay's doesn't own anything, they just bought the naming rights to the arena. Prokhorov owns the Nets and he would seem like a great fit to buy the Isles and (gulp) turn them into a major league franchise.

Original Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 01:15 PM
Bones45

I heard that Kramerica is the company who bought them..

Bones45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 01:23 PM
Dan-o16

On the one hand we have a pattern of cheap-o moves that help the Islanders shed real dollar salaries while allowing them to take on salary cap monopoly salary. The Tim Thomas move fits squarely with that pattern.

On the other hand we have a traumatized fan base who is happy to speculate that an ownership change will happen when there's no absolutely zero evidence.

I'd love an ownership change, but I don't see the Thomas trade, in context, as evidence of it.

Here's an alternative scenario: Isles see ticket receipts dropping as they start losing some members of the Long Island fanbase in expectation of the move. So, they want to cut costs for the short term, especially expecting that the salary cap and floor will be lower next year. I realize that's depressing, but it's more reasonable conjecture than an ownership change.

Cheers,

Dan-o

Dan-o16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 01:32 PM
Bunk Moreland

vCash: 234
It could just be Wang trying to save a few bucks.. I won;t believe he's selling the team until its really out there cause it pointless using conventional wisdom to speculate about a franchise that is eternally unconventional in its practices.

Bunk Moreland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 01:33 PM
lorwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan-o16 View Post
On the one hand we have a pattern of cheap-o moves that help the Islanders shed real dollar salaries while allowing them to take on salary cap monopoly salary. The Tim Thomas move fits squarely with that pattern.

On the other hand we have a traumatized fan base who is happy to speculate that an ownership change will happen when there's no absolutely zero evidence.

I'd love an ownership change, but I don't see the Thomas trade, in context, as evidence of it.

Here's an alternative scenario: Isles see ticket receipts dropping as they start losing some members of the Long Island fanbase in expectation of the move. So, they want to cut costs for the short term, especially expecting that the salary cap and floor will be lower next year. I realize that's depressing, but it's more reasonable conjecture than an ownership change.

Cheers,

Dan-o
I agree that Wang just may be losing to much money and the numbers may show that, in Nassau, even if every game was sold out at box office prices and every playoff game was played to the finals that he would still lose money. So he keeps it at rock bottom until Brooklyn.

Who knows?

Wang has always been cagey

What worries me, based on Wang's history, is that beating the system is what gets Wang off, doesn't matter what the system is, IRS, NHL salary cap whatever, as long as he "shows" how smart he is and the rules don't apply to him, that's his Stanley Cup.

Old
02-11-2013, 01:38 PM
Bones45

Quote:

Cheers,

Dan-o
Logic and reason have no place on this board.

Last edited by Bones45: 02-11-2013 at 04:01 PM. Reason: Horrific grammar error
Bones45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 03:10 PM
OlTimeHockey

If you could have a team play in the arena and not sustain operating losses inherent with an Islander team playing in NYR territory, would you?

Prokorov or Ratner would have to be pretty certain the Isles would sell tickets and merchandise and so on. They would have to want to make an investment in big dollars on a team. They own the arena and make money whether Wang, Pickett or Bernie Maddoff owns them.

Just food for thought.

OlTimeHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 03:55 PM
scott99

I don't think there is any evidence to Wang selling anytime soon. Since HE basically made the Thomas trade, it's obvious there is no move to sell in the near future. It's status quo, cheapo moves as always. I think we will get some decent mid-ground FA's the next 2 offseasons, and then Wang goes for the big stars in 2015. Best way to sell out games at the new arena.

scott99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 04:09 PM
Isles Fan

So I guess a few questions come to mind.

Why is the assumption that a group headed by Ratner would buy them? I would think it would be open to anyone with the right amount of money.

IF he did sell who's to say they stay in Brooklyn? Perhaps a new owner has other plans?

And of course why would we be lucky enough to have the team sold to someone who cares and lets hockey people make hockey decisions? Because we're Islanders fans and good things like that don't happen to us.

Just throwing it out there.

Isles Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 04:14 PM
Isles Fan

Quote:
I thought speculating on things with absolutly zero evidence or facts was a prerequisite here.....no?

Isles Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 04:31 PM
GusTheo

The trade for Tim Thomas saved the New York Islanders and Charles Wang approximately $0,000,000,000,000,000.00. People keep over looking that fact. If you're going to say that it puts us in a position to trade guys at the deadline which will save them money, then you'd be right, but then again so would the Islanders. If they have a pending UFA who isn't apart of the future, they might as well ship him off and get some sort of compensation in return.

As far as Wang selling, I just don't see it. Granted he may just wanted to cut his losses and be done with it, most successful businessmen don't get to their positions by selling low.

GusTheo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 04:55 PM
lacunacoil777

I dont see Wang selling for at least 8 years. He loves having young men, 20-30 years younger then him pretending to be his friend. He gets none of that without owning the team. (dipietro/kevin connelly/garth snow/mike milbury). There is a reason he owns the team. Its not to win hockey games, or to make money.

lacunacoil777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 05:00 PM
scott99

Quote:
Originally Posted by GusTheo View Post
The trade for Tim Thomas saved the New York Islanders and Charles Wang approximately $0,000,000,000,000,000.00. People keep over looking that fact. If you're going to say that it puts us in a position to trade guys at the deadline which will save them money, then you'd be right, but then again so would the Islanders. If they have a pending UFA who isn't apart of the future, they might as well ship him off and get some sort of compensation in return.

As far as Wang selling, I just don't see it. Granted he may just wanted to cut his losses and be done with it, most successful businessmen don't get to their positions by selling low.
Actually it did save Wang some money. He had to be at or over the cap floor by last Friday, or else he was breaking cap rules and he would've gotten fined. Thomas puts the Isles over the cap floor enough to dump a veteran or 2 and still be at the cap floor.

Old
02-11-2013, 05:50 PM
Homeland Security
Mod Supervisor
#beLIeve

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott99 View Post
Actually it did save Wang some money. He had to be at or over the cap floor by last Friday, or else he was breaking cap rules and he would've gotten fined. Thomas puts the Isles over the cap floor enough to dump a veteran or 2 and still be at the cap floor.
I believe the Isles were over the cap floor already. The Thomas trade allows them to move Streit, Vis, and others at the deadline and remain over.

02-11-2013, 06:29 PM
scott99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homeland Security View Post
I believe the Isles were over the cap floor already. The Thomas trade allows them to move Streit, Vis, and others at the deadline and remain over.
Actually, from what I read, the Vis suspension, which oddly enough ended on Wednesday also helped put them over th top.

Old
02-11-2013, 08:09 PM
Bert Marshall days

No luck

We suck

BROOKLYN please

Bert Marshall days is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 08:16 PM
Bert Marshall days

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isles Fan View Post

IF he did sell who's to say they stay in Brooklyn? Perhaps a new owner has other plans?
Just throwing it out there.

Well there's this little thing called a 25 year "ironclad" lease in Brooklyn.

{MOD EDIT}

Last edited by Homeland Security: 02-11-2013 at 08:44 PM. Reason: Edit
Bert Marshall days is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 09:58 PM
Steve55

I would say Wang sells the team no later than 2020 (or can get involved in AY), with Prokhorov getting the 45% of the team. (IF the Barclays ownership breakdown remains intact)

IF Wang asks for 400M by 2020, Prokhorov pays 180M. Forest City and other Nets Sports and Entertainment can pick up the other 220M.

Steve55 is offline   Reply With Quote