HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Chicago Blackhawks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Kruger Man Crush Thread

Old
02-16-2013, 12:41 AM
HawksFan74
Tread Lightly

vCash: 500
Kruger Man Crush Thread

This guy is showing a couple things this year. He was clearly thrust in to a role he was not prepared for last season. Thing is, with Bolland on the team many (including myself) didn't see a spot for him. Kruger on a checking line?!?!

So any 4th line with Frolik and Kruger will not be a checking line but what they are is a solid defensive unit with smart decisions. They are also creating some offense, they're like a couple of gnats out here. Kruger's offensive game is better, he's showing some moves and scoring points. PK is awesome, now if he could just improve his face off numbers.

Discuss. Future Bolland replacement?

HawksFan74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2013, 12:47 AM
Chris Hansen
THESE LEGS ARE FRESH

I don't think he'll ever have the edge that Bolland plays with (although Bolland doesn't have it consistently either). But man has Kruger looked good this year. Finally playing a role he belongs in right now, and he's been playing great in it.

Chris Hansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2013, 12:54 AM
Bring Back GLR
Commit to the Indian

Krugers been great, has provided timely goals, been huge on the PK has totally made me eat my words.

Bring Back GLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2013, 01:26 AM
Sevanston

In before faceoffs.

Kruger has been great this year. Amazing what happens when you put guys in roles they're actually capable of performing.

Sevanston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2013, 01:42 AM
Sir Psycho T
More Cowbell!

Our much maligned Swedes, Kruger and Hammer, have been 2 of our best and most consistent players this year. Both have drastically stepped up their games and both have really helped this team in major ways.

Sir Psycho T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2013, 01:59 AM
LandofLincoln*

Discuss. Future Bolland replacement?

No not even close to the offensive talent. Bolland has 2nd line center skills. Look at his goals this year only guys in front of Bolland...Hossa, Toews & Kane

Kruger absolutely has talent to be a 3rd liner. He still needs to add 10lbs. His shot sucks. Everything else in his game is rockstar awesome for a rd liner.

Danault I think will pass Kruger not next year but within 2 years. Kruger will have to work, work, work to stay on this team.

Give Kruger credit he is a much stronger player this season. His numbers will be .35 PPG at the end of the year nothing special. He plays the game the right way. Lets not act like he is worth more than 1.5 million per year.

LandofLincoln* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2013, 03:33 AM
DisgruntledHawkFan
Blackhawk Down

Send a message via ICQ to DisgruntledHawkFan
It's hard to judge his offensive upside. Clearly he was a scorer in the SEL and is finally this year showing that offensive upside on NA ice. He's 22 and should become even better moving forward.

Limiting to him just being a third line center isn't fair. He's a keeper and if he ever learns to win faceoffs he'll be a very solid contributor for a long time.

DisgruntledHawkFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2013, 09:40 AM
zytz
lumberjack

I think he has 2C upside. I felt like I could see it in his game last year, what he was trying to accomplish on the ice and things just weren't working out for him... this year he doesn't seem to be doing anything particularly different, IMO, things that he tries are just working now were they weren't before. Maybe it was just developmental.

He's not a super athlete, but he's got great work ethic, and I feel like he's really ****ing smart almost anywhere on the ice. I think if he can learn to win some more faceoffs, that yes, he will always be a welcome addition to this team.

zytz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2013, 09:49 AM
Marotte Marauder

Kruger is certainly on a bit of a roll, hopefully he can keep it up going forward.

(I like my crow w/Tabasco, IF his play continues )

Marotte Marauder is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2013, 10:20 AM
BobbyJet
Casual fan - Free Q

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubba88 View Post
MM, just don't post here. You will never accept him or acknowledge what he really offers.

Call me shocked, a young player improves after some time...
Let's not get carried away now. Frolik also had a fine game, he just didn't get the gift goal, but created some pretty good chances on his own.... and no one is touting him here.

BobbyJet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2013, 10:25 AM
Bubba88
Toews = Savior

vCash: 50
get carried away? Cause I said Krüger improved and some guys will never accept him? Like MM or you? Can't wait till he has some games where he doesn't do much and you guys calling him out again.

Bubba88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2013, 11:20 AM
ColdSteel2

Yeah, what else can you say but he's living up to potential. Doesn't always happen so enjoy it.

ColdSteel2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2013, 11:25 AM
TorMenT
Go Blackhawks!

Kruger has really improved from last year. I like what I'm seeing from him, and I think he's doing great as the 4th line center. Seems like right now, that's where he belongs. He could move up a line or maybe even 2 down the road, but right now he's excellent in his role, including the PK. His goal tonight was pretty lucky, but to create the luck he also did everything right by following the bouncing puck hoping for the best. Even without that goal, he still had a solid night.

TorMenT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2013, 11:38 AM
Recoil

Here's my thoughts:

I don't see him as a future Bolland replacement, because I don't believe he has the offensive upside that Bolland has. While his defense may be just as good as Bolland's, I also don't think he plays with that annoying edge that Bolland does which has benefited this team so many times before, including the Cup run.

That being said, I was very critical of Kruger last season in the 2nd line center role, and rightfully so --- he was forced into a role he either wasn't suited for, or at least wasn't ready for. I was also skeptical of our 3rd and 4th lines this year, thinking they may have been bottom 10 in the NHL. Clearly that has been proven wrong thus far. Shaw's line with Bickell and Stalberg has been defensively sound and provided a scoring spark. And Kruger's 4th line hasn't been what is typically expected of a 4th line, but just as bit as effective. I like Kruger where he's at now, and I didn't think I would. I always thought the 4th line should be defensively sound, but also very physical and hard to play against. We aren't the most physical team, and no one is going to fear a hit from Kruger or Frolik, but those two our there do bring a LOT of energy. They are buzzing all around the defensive and offensive zones, and playing solid defense, and most importantly when they do have the puck, they can play the puck possession game too. Neither of them have the greatest shots in the world, but their play has been so solid that they have gotten a few goals here and there.

I don't know that this is the model I expected. I don't know how it will hold up in the playoffs, which is an entirely different brand of hockey, but I like the way Kruger looks manning that 4th line.

He's only 22, and I could see him potentially being a 3rd line Center, and I suppose there's the chance he could see the 2nd line again, but IMO for that to happen, he REALLY has to improve his shot, and I'm not certain of what that ceiling is.

But his value so far is undeniable: Solid bottom 6 center, and great on the PK as well. ( love that we can skate Frolik and Kruger out there on the PK and not worry about who we are playing, giving Toews and Hossa some much needed rest )

EDIT: For clarity, I don't see him as a BOLLAND replacement, but I do see him being a solid #3C. I just don't think he will deliver in those extra areas as Bolland did, or perhaps have #2C upside. To me, Bolland was a GREAT #3C, and Kruger will probably be a very good one.

Recoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2013, 11:51 AM
Hawkaholic

Like I dais in another thread, he's only 22 and has already shown flashes that he can be a decent NHLer, not just a 4th liner. He still needs to improve in the offensive zone, but he has been a treat to watch in his role.

A lot of people said we had the worst bottom 6 in the league this year when Q said Bolly would be playing in the top 6, hope they are enjoying some crow right now too!

Hawkaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2013, 12:08 PM
KanetoToews2883

Kruger's offensive "upside" is only limited by the linemates that he plays with. Let's not forget that Bolland has played with Andrew Ladd, Kris Versteeg and now Kane and Sharp. Whereas Kruger plays with Michael Frolik and one of Jamal Mayers and/or Brandon Bollig. Neither set the world on fire. Also, the way that the 3rd line was used in the past (shutdown line) increased the ice time that Bolland saw, of course he scored more points....

Kruger has good offensive upside as a playmaker... He's got 6 pts in 17 G's thus far this season (0.33 PPG). He's 22 years old and in his 2nd year since coming over from Sweden (a different kind of rink). Yes he's smaller in stature, but that doesn't mean he can't adjust to the smaller rink. He's been willing to go into the dirty areas and help chip pucks out. He's been monumental on the PK. And despite him getting less PP and 5 on 5 ice time than Bolland he's got 6 pts to Bolland's 7. I'm not even going to talk about the strength of the linemates here...

KanetoToews2883 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2013, 12:22 PM
Recoil

Quote:
Originally Posted by KanetoToews2883 View Post
Kruger's offensive "upside" is only limited by the linemates that he plays with. Let's not forget that Bolland has played with Andrew Ladd, Kris Versteeg and now Kane and Sharp. Whereas Kruger plays with Michael Frolik and one of Jamal Mayers and/or Brandon Bollig. Neither set the world on fire. Also, the way that the 3rd line was used in the past (shutdown line) increased the ice time that Bolland saw, of course he scored more points....

Kruger has good offensive upside as a playmaker... He's got 6 pts in 17 G's thus far this season (0.33 PPG). He's 22 years old and in his 2nd year since coming over from Sweden (a different kind of rink). Yes he's smaller in stature, but that doesn't mean he can't adjust to the smaller rink. He's been willing to go into the dirty areas and help chip pucks out. He's been monumental on the PK. And despite him getting less PP and 5 on 5 ice time than Bolland he's got 6 pts to Bolland's 7. I'm not even going to talk about the strength of the linemates here...
I don't agree with that assessment in a vacuum. The facts are Bolland has a wicked shot and also has some good scoring moves. Yes, he has had good linemates, but he also can bring it on his own. That is something Kruger doesn't have yet, and may never develop to the level Bolland has. Simply saying it's his linemates doesn't quite tell the tale.

Recoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2013, 01:15 PM
HockeySensible
Smug Teuvo

I had this outstanding pun involving Kruger and his Defense.. but I think it would have just been deleted.

Either way, a few posters saw Kruger's upside and improvement last year. Glad I was one of them. Keep it up Krugs.

HockeySensible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2013, 01:19 PM
Blue Liner

Quote:
Originally Posted by HossTheBoss View Post
I had this outstanding pun involving Kruger and his Defense.. but I think it would have just been deleted.

Either way, a few posters saw Kruger's upside and improvement last year. Glad I was one of them. Keep it up Krugs.
Me too. High five!

Blue Liner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2013, 01:39 PM
HockeySensible
Smug Teuvo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Liner View Post
Me too. High five!
Yeah!

HockeySensible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2013, 01:43 PM
Blue Liner

Boom.

Blue Liner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2013, 03:48 PM
Crazy_Ike
Cookin' with fire.

As Staal proved you can never have too many centers. There is no need for anyone to be replacing anyone.

Crazy_Ike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2013, 05:03 PM
Sarava

Kruger has been a pleasant surprise so far this year.

Sarava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2013, 05:22 PM
Nothingman*

The guy from Sweden said he played W there and looked better in hat role. Racked up more points. If he is in a W role we might see more of his O skills. I am extremely happy with how he has progressed.

Nothingman* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2013, 03:43 AM
Bubba88
Toews = Savior

that's true. He played Wing for some time in Sweden. His playmaking looked better on the Wing with a bit less Defensiv responsibility

Bubba88 is offline   Reply With Quote