HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

C Aleksander Barkov - Tampere Tappara, FEL (2013, 2nd overall, Florida) III

Closed Thread

Old
04-02-2013, 09:36 AM
Loffer

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabranth View Post
It doesn't matter if he falls or not, the question is... Is this guy good? Looks like below average player to me. Finnish hockey is pretty much dead these days... you guys should cheer for our beloved neighbours instead.
Compared to NHL All-Star - well, yes, he is below average as 17 yrs old. But that's it-.

Old
04-02-2013, 10:16 AM
JJTT

vCash: 50
2 months? Looks like that it is possible that he is somewhat healthy at the draft combine.

Old
04-02-2013, 10:16 AM
JacketsFanWest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaps View Post
I'm guessing the 5 months is a worst-case scenario, but I'm more inclined to believe what Tappara's team doctor says than a tabloid that deliberately dramatizes things.
I'm not sure how close Barkov's shoulder injury is to Ryan Murray's injury (torn labrum), but Murray had surgery in January and three months later is rehabing and doing light practices skating and stickhandling, but not full contact. He'll be ready to in the summer for prospect camp (more than 6 months after surgery) for full contact.

Old
04-02-2013, 10:32 AM
thomast

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacketsFanWest View Post
I'm not sure how close Barkov's shoulder injury is to Ryan Murray's injury (torn labrum), but Murray had surgery in January and three months later is rehabing and doing light practices skating and stickhandling, but not full contact. He'll be ready to in the summer for prospect camp (more than 6 months after surgery) for full contact.
Dislocated shoulder. It's typical shoulder injury and it isn't serious nothing has been torn or fractured. The main (can't remember the name) joint in his shoulder has dislocated and in this case it requires surgery.

Old
04-02-2013, 12:57 PM
JacketsFanWest

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomast View Post
Dislocated shoulder. It's typical shoulder injury and it isn't serious nothing has been torn or fractured. The main (can't remember the name) joint in his shoulder has dislocated and in this case it requires surgery.
A dislocated shoulder can result in a torn labrum or other tissue. The labrum is the cartilage that surrounds the shoulder joint.

Typically if surgery is needed for a dislocated shoulder, something has been torn.

Old
04-02-2013, 01:57 PM
Gaps

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacketsFanWest View Post
A dislocated shoulder can result in a torn labrum or other tissue. The labrum is the cartilage that surrounds the shoulder joint.

Typically if surgery is needed for a dislocated shoulder, something has been torn.
Yes, I believe he tore something but we don't what exactly or how extensive the damage is. The doc just said it's an injury that commonly occurs with a dislocated shoulder.

Old
04-02-2013, 02:11 PM
sjci

vCash: 172
From Wikipeida:

Quote:
Some cases require non-emergency surgery to repair damage to the tissues surrounding in the shoulder joint and restore shoulder stability. Arthroscopic surgery techniques may be used to repair the glenoidal labrum, capsular ligaments, biceps long head anchor or SLAP lesion and/or to tighten the shoulder capsule
Quote:
When the front of the shoulder socket has been broken or worn, a bone graft may be required to restore stability.[16] When the shoulder dislocates posteriorly (out the back), a surgery to reshape the socket may be necessary. Surgery to build up the back of the glenoid socket using an osteotomy and graft can restore shoulder anatomy and lessen pain and improve function.
From Buzzle: http://www.buzzle.com/articles/dislo...r-surgery.html

Quote:
Surgery Options

The gravity of the condition will enable an experienced arthroscopic shoulder surgeon to determine which of the following surgical options will suit the needs of the patient best. Any single one of these options, or a combination of them, can be used as a means of separated shoulder surgery.
  • Repairing the rotator cuff.
  • Repairing of the biceps anchor, or SLAP lesion.
  • Anterior or posterior labral repair.
  • Tightening of the shoulder capsule, using capsulorraphy shift or capsular shift.
  • Repairing of the capsular ligaments.
The surgeon will be the best judge of whether the surgery must be carried out depending on the severity of the condition, the damage induced, and the medical history of the patient.

Recovery Time

The recovery time from the surgery depends on many factors like the individuals age, health conditions, previous medical history, and extent of the injury. A minimum of 2 months time will be necessary to resume normal activities and perform a full range of motions, and for some people this can even go up to 3-5 months. The kind of rehabilitation program that is undertaken and the nature of dislocated shoulder exercises that are performed also play an integral part in this process. The recovery time can only be considered complete when the entire range of motions can be carried out by the injured shoulder, and the old strength has returned to it. Resuming strenuous activities before the recovery is complete, can result in a major and painful relapse of the condition.

Old
04-06-2013, 02:04 PM
Loffer

Barkov seems to be winning the FEL championship - so, he should cross the pond next fall since he has nothing to win in Finland any more.

Old
04-09-2013, 10:33 AM
Auzzie19

So this guy is done for the year right?

Was hoping to see him in WC.

Does his draft stock drop?

Old
04-09-2013, 10:56 AM
JJTT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auzzie19 View Post

Yes, done for a year. Will miss sm-liiga finals and wc's.

Not likely to drop drastically, but he may slip out of top 5.

Old
04-09-2013, 11:10 AM
madmike77

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auzzie19 View Post

I'm not sure. Calgary is desperate for a young centre and right now would likely be picking 3-5. If both Mackinnon and Jones (yeah he's D, but anyone could use him) are gone, which is likely, I have a hard time seeing the Flames pass on Barkov.

Old
04-12-2013, 08:25 AM
100 Third Graders
BBQ Anyone?

I have a question for those who have actually seen Barkov play.

I have read that he might not be a great skater. Is this more in the way that the Sedin's aren't viewed great skaters, but are still more than adequate in that department?

Old
04-12-2013, 08:56 AM
thomast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abbotsford Heat View Post

I have read that he might not be a great skater. Is this more in the way that the Sedin's aren't viewed great skaters, but are still more than adequate in that department?
There is some main points about his skating:

First of all he is one of the youngest players for the draft and doesen't turn 18 until september. He was great skater at junior level but suffered growing spurth. He is probably +6'3 and about 205-210+ pounds. It's typical problem for player of his age and size that skating isn't fully developed.

His skating have improved in very fast rate lately and doesen't show signs that his developement in skating have stopped or slowed down.

He isn't bad skater or even slow skater. His style of game isn't racing up and down on the ice. His very good positioning saves him for skating hard all the time. He seem to be always there where he needs to be despite of not being fast skater. His hockey skating and glide are very good and style wise he is good skater. When he sees the openings he can suprise with his underrated speed.

His biggest weaknesses is explosiveness in his skating and agility despite he has improved alot in agility. But skating is highlighted because there is very hard to pick any other weaknesses from his game.

The thing is how good skater Barkov would be in his prime and not today. He has alot of raw potential in his skating and he has shown signs of getting better at it. He works very hard off ice. He stated in a interview when the reporter asked him if he is satisfied with his developement. His answer was when you're satisfied with the developement you stop developing.

I could see him getting very good range in skating. Not elite but tier below which is more than enough for him. People at these boards can't see further from today. Skating won't be issue for Barkov at the NHL.

Very good review from his skating especially for north american poster:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponder View Post
Re: Barkov's skating, he has a long, smooth stride, he's a pretty good skater. He's not particularly explosive, but most big guys aren't, and he's still quick enough to stay with speedy players defensively. The main reason people might see him as slow is that he's a very positional player. Some guys are flying around at full speed constantly, that's not Barkov at all, he knows where to be on the ice and that often means that he's not skating overly fast. When he needs to get somewhere quickly, he does, but he only goes all out occasionally/when necessary. I don't see it as a problem, many of the best big NHL forwards have played the game in a similar way (Mats Sundin, Jaromir Jagr, Joe Thornton, Eric Staal, Ryan Getzlaf, etc. are all guys who can really skate, but who chose to play positionally and only use their speed when they need to). Not all big forwards need to be explosive like Ovechkin, Malkin, Lemieux, etc.
Some clips of his skating:

At 0.15

I hope that this post helped you.

Last edited by thomast: 04-12-2013 at 09:22 AM.
Old
04-12-2013, 09:41 AM
Hagged

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abbotsford Heat View Post

A bit better skater than Mikko Koivu was in his age for example. The bigger players tend to take longer in that department. He is above average skater in FEL, but I don't know what kind of tier that means among the NHL players. Among finnish prospects his age, I think he is one of the best skaters. Still, he can improve it a lot for sure. But I guess he won't reach the elite skating level ever due to his size, but I could see him getting to above average to great level in the NHL too. His game doesn't need that much of elite skating / speed though, it's more of his "speed of the game" that makes him a special prospect.

Old
04-12-2013, 10:27 AM
100 Third Graders
BBQ Anyone?

thanks, just what I was curious about

Old
04-16-2013, 09:05 AM
agent082

FEL players voted this years best players. Barkov wasn't in top 3.

Old
04-16-2013, 09:12 AM
thomast

Quote:
Originally Posted by agent082 View Post
FEL players voted this years best players. Barkov wasn't in top 3.
Raanta wasn't top 3 and to me he was the best and seperated himself from everyone.

Old
04-16-2013, 10:48 AM
R S

vCash: 1000
I've asked a similar question in the MacKinnon thread just now...but...what are the chances that Barkov ends up as a winger in the NHL?

For me, he's likely the 4th guy on my board and with how Colorado has been playing I could see them ending up in that spot (I'm an Avs fan). Colorado is already very deep down the middle so I am wondering if guys like Barkov or MacKinnon could transition to the wing.

I think that he's played some wing in the past, and I know that his skating is still an area that does need to improve somewhat. So for me, there could be a fit there because I want my C's to be above average skaters.

But, would a move to LW be good for his development, the right move, does he have the hockey sense to adjust, etc etc.

Any insight would be great as I have only had the chance to watch him in limited TV viewings over the last 2+ years.

Old
04-16-2013, 11:14 AM
thomast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade Stylings View Post
I've asked a similar question in the MacKinnon thread just now...but...what are the chances that Barkov ends up as a winger in the NHL?

For me, he's likely the 4th guy on my board and with how Colorado has been playing I could see them ending up in that spot (I'm an Avs fan). Colorado is already very deep down the middle so I am wondering if guys like Barkov or MacKinnon could transition to the wing.

I think that he's played some wing in the past, and I know that his skating is still an area that does need to improve somewhat. So for me, there could be a fit there because I want my C's to be above average skaters.

But, would a move to LW be good for his development, the right move, does he have the hockey sense to adjust, etc etc.

Any insight would be great as I have only had the chance to watch him in limited TV viewings over the last 2+ years.
He is natural center and winger position isn't good for his game. He is excellent defensively. Great at sharing the puck from center to wingers. He can pass very well to both sides and has great backhand pass which makes it faster and easier to share the puck to LW or RW from the center. It's like putting Mikko Koivu, Toews, Bergeron etc.. do everything center to a winger position.

Old
04-16-2013, 11:15 AM
Gaps

Everything about Barkov screams center to me. Using him as a winger would be a huge waste IMO. There are a lot of Finnish center/winger prospects, but Barkov is not one of them.

Old
04-16-2013, 11:33 AM
R S

Thanks guys...you very much echo my thoughts. Maybe if the Avs do end up drafting him then it will finally mark the end of days for Stastny...giving them Duchene, Barkov and O'Reilly down the middle.

Old
04-16-2013, 11:36 AM
Veritas0Aequitas

Quote:

More like take MacKinnon or Barkov, keep em at C where they'll excel and trade O'Reilly and Stastny for D-men.

Old
04-16-2013, 11:40 AM
R S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veritas0Aequitas View Post
More like take MacKinnon or Barkov, keep em at C where they'll excel and trade O'Reilly and Stastny for D-men.
Yep, that's also an option. For me, I would trade Stastny if the team was going to trade either of them.

Old
04-16-2013, 11:42 AM
umwoz

I think one of the most enticing features about Barkov is that he is far less likely than Mackinnon to end up a winger.

Old
04-16-2013, 11:51 AM
Veritas0Aequitas

Quote:
Yep, that's also an option. For me, I would trade Stastny if the team was going to trade either of them.
Same here but sadly unless we have a big turnaround next year (including change in coaching and management) I think ROR might still want out.

As an Avs fan, I'd be happy with any player in the top 5 (Jones, MacKinnon, Drouin, Barkov, Lindholm) but would prefer to have Jones. Doesn't look like that will happen unless we win the lottery.

Closed Thread