HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

C Aleksander Barkov - Tampere Tappara, FEL (2013, 2nd overall, Florida) III

Closed Thread

Old
05-02-2013, 06:08 PM
thomast

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haite View Post
Compiled a video of Barkov's 2012-13 season highlights if anyone's interested:

What impressed me the most in those videos is that those goals will translate to the NHL. Barkov is effective infront of net picking up rebounds. He has quick release, accurate and heavy shot. He is very good at picking up top corners in close range. But afterall Barkov is natural playmaker and is better at making plays but i could see Barkov scoring alot of goals too.

Nice video Haite!

Old
05-02-2013, 06:31 PM
geoo9

AH AH Golden helmet of best rookie that means -Come elbow)))why y need it)
So sasha looks better than all other from this draft

Old
05-02-2013, 06:34 PM
ReyHF
Neutral fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarry Curry View Post
Next year he would be too good for FEL and that doesn't help his development in anyway. You said it yourself he was probaply the best two way center in the league at age 17.
There is nothing to be gained by staying.
By moving he get's an early start for his career in NA and can always play a year in the AHL if NHL doesn't workout.
There is no need to rush him but if he is ready, he is ready.
Best two-way center yes, but his offense can still improve. There's a lot to gain. Skating is the most important thing for him to improve on so on the big ice there's more skating no?

I don't see as much benefit as normally Finnish players would gain from playing in AHL. Barkov has shown to be effective around the net and he can make his decisions quickly. Should fit the NA game style well. Only thing i'm concerned about it his strength along the boards. He's a strong kid but during the WJC's i thought he was losing his balance surprisingly often. In FEL there's not as much 1 on 1 physical battles than in NA. And players are generally stronger at that in NA.

Old
05-03-2013, 01:56 AM
Temego

It's amazing how Barkov is projected to go only fourth, such a complete player with all the tools in the world. Would not be at all surprised if he ends up the best forward from this draft.

And yeah, I think he should go to NA as soon as possible. A year in the Ahl working on his skating and getting used to battling players who are the same size as him.

Old
05-03-2013, 02:20 AM
Gaps

Quote:
Originally Posted by YARR123 View Post
I don't agree he has nothing to learn here. It's not like he was torching the league even though he was already one of the best players on his team.
Also we have to remember he's a 17-year-old kid. It might not be the best thing for his development to go straight into the bright lights, into a different culture with different people and different language. Not only do you have to be ready as a player, but you also have to be mature enough as a normal young man. And I'm not saying he's not ready, he might be. And for all I know he might be a very mature person. But it's an important thing to recognize and saying there's nothing for him here is just false.

Also I don't see the AHL being much of a step up at this point. Since he's so close to being NHL ready he might as well play here until he's ready.
Exactly. People tend to forget that he's very young and that moving to play in NA at this point would be a much bigger thing for him than it is for the American or Canadian kids from the NA junior leagues who can sometimes play in the NHL right after being drafted. Those kids have grown up in North America and speak English as a native tongue, and neither one of those things apply to Barkov. Even if he stays here for another year before leaving, he'll still be younger than Armia, Granlund etc. when he leaves. Another year here isn't going to ruin him, and there are new challenges here that are hopefully waiting for him, such as playing with the men's NT.

Old
05-03-2013, 04:27 AM
thomast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaps View Post
Exactly. People tend to forget that he's very young and that moving to play in NA at this point would be a much bigger thing for him than it is for the American or Canadian kids from the NA junior leagues who can sometimes play in the NHL right after being drafted. Those kids have grown up in North America and speak English as a native tongue, and neither one of those things apply to Barkov. Even if he stays here for another year before leaving, he'll still be younger than Armia, Granlund etc. when he leaves. Another year here isn't going to ruin him, and there are new challenges here that are hopefully waiting for him, such as playing with the men's NT.
You shouldn't compare Barkov to Armia because Barkov is much more NHL-ready than him despite being 2 years younger. I believe that Barkov has the physical tools and frame to go with. Barkov plays very NA game with straight foward style. Granlund had small frame, is slower and played very european kind of hockey with holding the puck to slow down the game. His game was based on patience and drawing players to him to make plays. That don't work in the NHL and Granlund has to change his game because he has all the skills and work ethic to become good NHL player.

This is all speculation. I think that team which drafts him and he himself know if he is ready mentally. Nothing wrong to have early career start because Barkov started his career 2 season ago. Was one of the best players in entire league. Men NT doesen't benefit anyone look at case Granlund. Best thing for him would probably be if he plays 9 games in the NHL if it works he should stay there if not he knows exactly why it didn't work and can start working on those things.

Old
05-03-2013, 07:32 AM
jigsaw99
#fireAV

Barkov is must NHL ready out of all the prospects. Those hands are sick! You know its a stacked drafted when a player of this caliber is project to be 4 to 6.

Old
05-03-2013, 09:37 AM
AG
HFBoards Sponsor

So excited to see this kid play at the AHL level.

Old
05-03-2013, 09:49 AM
tikkanen5rings*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neros View Post
He's done that for two years now

Old
05-03-2013, 10:58 AM
Faerun

vCash: 509
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neros View Post
Can he actually play in the AHL isn't there some kind of rule for under agers to play in AHL or was it only for NCAA and CHL players??

Old
05-03-2013, 11:07 AM
Haite
x

vCash: 1089
Quote:
Originally Posted by Faerun View Post
Can he actually play in the AHL isn't there some kind of rule for under agers to play in AHL or was it only for NCAA and CHL players??
There's the CHL transfer agreement due to which you have to be either 20 years old, or have played at least 4 seasons in CHL in order to play in the AHL. However, it doesn't concern Europeans and for example Hampus Lindholm played this season down in Norfolk despite being drafted just last year.

If anything, it's Barkov's SM-liiga contract with Tappara that would stop him from playing in the AHL.

Old
05-03-2013, 11:22 AM
satchmo

Barkov is a really safe pick. If he doesnt become an offensive dynamo, hell surely be a helluva defensive center. Cant go wrong with him.

Old
05-03-2013, 11:27 AM
Faerun

vCash: 509
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haite View Post
There's the CHL transfer agreement due to which you have to be either 20 years old, or have played at least 4 seasons in CHL in order to play in the AHL. However, it doesn't concern Europeans and for example Hampus Lindholm played this season down in Norfolk despite being drafted just last year.

If anything, it's Barkov's SM-liiga contract with Tappara that would stop him from playing in the AHL.
so it's unlikely he plays in the AHL unless the team that drafts him wants to give him a NHL/AHL contract immediately. My guess is he goes to training camp and if he shows something the coaches like plays those 8-9 games in the NHL and then come's back to Tappara for the rest of the season.

Old
05-03-2013, 11:28 AM
AG
HFBoards Sponsor

I meant NHL. Didn't have my morning coffee yet lol.

Old
05-03-2013, 01:10 PM
Curufinwe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaps View Post
Are there any Finnish players on Nashville who could mentor him? If Philly picks Ristolainen at 11 I'm sure Kimmo Timonen will ahve a big role in helping him adjust.

Old
05-03-2013, 01:12 PM
PredaDORES
**** you Dale Tallon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curufinwe View Post
Are there any Finnish players on Nashville who could mentor him? If Philly picks Ristolainen at 11 I'm sure Kimmo Timonen will ahve a big role in helping him adjust.

Old
05-03-2013, 01:25 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curufinwe View Post
To be honest, I would be surprised if Kimmo is still playing by the time Ristolainen is ready. Most projections have him playing another year or two in Finland, and then he'll probably spend some time in the AHL after that.

Old
05-03-2013, 01:38 PM
InjuredChoker

Quote:
What good has that done to anyone since.. Koivu?
Who has been as good and as ready as Barkov of them who have tried?

Old
05-03-2013, 01:44 PM
tikkanen5rings*

Quote:
Originally Posted by InjuredChoker View Post
Who has been as good and as ready as Barkov of them who have tried?
No one. Ever.
Olli Jokinen was closest and he was nowhere near as good overall.
That's the main reason, why I think he should go right away.

Old
05-03-2013, 03:15 PM
Tormentor

Quote:
Originally Posted by OurGocIsAnAwesomeGoc View Post
To be honest, I would be surprised if Kimmo is still playing by the time Ristolainen is ready. Most projections have him playing another year or two in Finland, and then he'll probably spend some time in the AHL after that.
A lot depends on the team that drafts him, but it's not out of the question that Ristolainen plays in North America next season. He's one of the most NHL ready prospects in this year's draft.

Old
05-03-2013, 07:24 PM
Aaron Vickers
FC Hockey

Send a message via ICQ to Aaron Vickers Send a message via MSN to Aaron Vickers
Quote:
Barkov, who underwent successful surgery three weeks ago, expects to be back at 100 per cent by the time next season rolls around.

I dont know how long it takes, but I think I am in full condition at beginning of the next season, he said.

Where the 17-year-old ends up playing, though, remains to be seen.

Barkov, who finished second on Tappara in scoring with 21 goals and 48 points in 53 games, was noncommittal as to which side of the ocean he envisions himself skating on come September.

I dont want now speak about that, Barkov said. I have now this shoulder injury. I try to rehabilitate it and we will see it then, where I will play next season.
http://futureconsiderations.ca/shoul...s-draft-dream/

Old
05-06-2013, 02:43 AM
tikkanen5rings*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron Vickers View Post
I love his attitude. It's rare to see a top prospect with such a good head on his shoulders.
I wish Yakupov had even half of his humbleness.

Old
05-06-2013, 02:49 AM
Vanqu1sh

Quote:
I love his attitude. It's rare to see a top prospect with such a good head on his shoulders.
I wish Yakupov had even half of his humbleness.
lol

Old
05-06-2013, 02:52 AM
tikkanen5rings*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanqu1sh View Post
lol
wat?

Old
05-06-2013, 03:02 AM
Vanqu1sh

Quote:
wat?
Have you ever read a yakupov interview? It sounds the same as the barkov one you commented on. Always brushing away expectations, focusing on the team, etc. Your post is quite ironic. Show me why he isn't humble?

Closed Thread