HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

C Aleksander Barkov - Tampere Tappara, FEL (2013, 2nd overall, Florida) III

Closed Thread

Old
11-17-2013, 11:19 AM
Loffer

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by YARR123 View Post
Where exactly did the notion come from that Barkov can't develop much anymore?
I read it first on the Habs draft thread last year: speculation that he might have peaked already - as 17 yo...

Well, that he is a cerebral player playing mature game in a mature big strong body might be the reasons for these ideas.

Old
11-17-2013, 12:02 PM
YARR123

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loffer View Post
I read it first on the Habs draft thread last year: speculation that he might have peaked already - as 17 yo...

Well, that he is a cerebral player playing mature game in a mature big strong body might be the reasons for these ideas.
Sounds far fetched imo. Would be good to hear some arguments as to why having a mature game = less potential. And as for having a mature body, I strongly disagree. If anything, his body looks a bit soft. I'm pretty sure that athletically he's far from peaked yet.

edit: obviously making huge improvements in game skills is very hard. Mostly the areas with room to improve are things like athleticism, confidence, defensive nuances, etc. I think that improvements such as building more confidence and learning how to become a pro athlete (think Selšnne, Stamkos) can take him to the next level.

Old
11-17-2013, 12:22 PM
gudzilla

TIL that you have to be a skinny, 6'1 and have a one dimensional game when you're drafted to develop

Old
11-17-2013, 02:00 PM
edruga

vCash: 666
Can't wait to see what he looks like in a few years. Hoping for another E Staal, Getzlaf, Sundin...

Old
11-22-2013, 09:22 AM
glassbangers
5-14-6-1

vCash: 97
I don't care if he plays for Florida, but the fact that he's NHL team's best centre at the age of 18 completely amazes my mind. It makes me wonder how good he will be when he hits his prime? I knew that he is good but damn I never imagined that he could make such an impact this season. He needs to shoot more though, he has great wrister but he doesn't use it at all.

Personally the thing I've enjoyed most has been how Don Strawberry made himself look like a complete idiot yet again.

Old
11-22-2013, 12:39 PM
Loffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by glassbangers View Post
I don't care if he plays for Florida, but the fact that he's NHL team's best centre at the age of 18 completely amazes my mind. It makes me wonder how good he will be when he hits his prime? I knew that he is good but damn I never imagined that he could make such an impact this season. He needs to shoot more though, he has great wrister but he doesn't use it at all.

Personally the thing I've enjoyed most has been how Don Strawberry made himself look like a complete idiot yet again.
Barkov's been pretty impressive but let's not get carried away by it. Bjugstad has been pure force and the best center of the Panthers,

Old
11-22-2013, 01:24 PM
Henderson19

Quote:
Barkov's been pretty impressive but let's not get carried away by it. Bjugstad has been pure force and the best center of the Panthers,
Okay...got it. Really. Got it.

Old
11-22-2013, 01:33 PM
Follower of Yzlam
OH YEEEEAH

vCash: 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by glassbangers View Post

TBF the Panthers are barely an NHL team.

Old
11-23-2013, 12:44 AM
Boxscore
#oldNHL

Quote:
Originally Posted by edruga View Post
Can't wait to see what he looks like in a few years. Hoping for another E Staal, Getzlaf, Sundin...
A mixture of Joe Thornton / Mats Sundin / Jason Allison IMO

Old
11-23-2013, 06:27 AM
SufferingCatFan

Quote:
As a Panther STH (there are a few of us), I will start by admitting that the team, as a whole, pretty much sucks with about half the current squad consisting of NHL castoffs and NHL/AHL tweeners. As a consequence, neither Barkov or Bjugstad have been sheltered in anyway and have literally been thrown to the wolves playing major minutes in all situations. Both have not only been impressive, but have exceeded every reasonable expectation.

Bjugstad looks very much like he will develop into a legitimate (maybe even dominant) No.1 center. He is already a force on both ends of the ice at 6'6", 215 lbs playing with grit. He is also continuing to develop physically at 20 as young, bigger players often do.

Barkov is less physical, but has the "magic." I cannot tell you how many times Barkov has made a jaw dropping pass creating a scoring chance for a teammate, who fails to finish.

Old
12-13-2013, 02:29 PM
JawandaPuck
Lost Art of Dynasty

new thread: http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh....php?t=1560135