HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Notices

Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

C Aleksander Barkov - Tampere Tappara, FEL (2013, 2nd overall, Florida) III

Closed Thread

Old
03-12-2013, 09:07 AM
thomast

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oan View Post
So, we can then sum up his regular season:

9th in scoring with

53gp 21g 27a 48p (=0,90ppg) +18 and only 8 penalty minutes

SM-Liiga scoring record for a 17-year old. One of the most complete 2-way players in the whole league.
Youngest player ever to register point and youngest goal scorer ever, Most points ever by draft eligible player(by 7 points), most goals ever by draft eligible player, best +\- by draft eligible player. Top players in entire league, arguably best two-way foward of the league.

Other records:

Youngest finnish player ever at WJC, 2nd youngest player ever to score goal at WJC(youngest player to score an goal by today rules because IIHF doesen't allow players under 16 anymore, younger than Crosby i believe

Impressive season by 17 year old kid. Played most of the season against NHL-lockout players. Didn't have major slumps and he was very consistent. The difference between his good and bad game is very small. Didn't see even single bad game off him. There was some games where he was invisible offensively but he was defensively so solid in all games. His weakest moment of the season was around the WJC when he looked exhausted.

Special year for him and i hope he plays strong playoffs and cracks into WHC team. One of the best if not the best draft eligible season in europe?

Best U20 point scorer in the league by 15 points(Joel Armia 2nd with 33points)

Best U24 point scorer by 7 points(Sallinen 2nd with 41 points)

He doesen't turn 18 until september. Special talent by finnish standards and even by european standards.

Last edited by thomast: 03-12-2013 at 11:39 AM.
Old
03-12-2013, 10:39 AM
edd1e

Special talent by any standards

Old
03-13-2013, 08:35 AM
thomast

Barkov ended up as 7th best player in the league MVP race and 5th best skater.Goalie Antti Raanta was clearly the MVP by votes. 104 Well known hockey journalists chose the MVP.

Old
03-13-2013, 09:56 AM
SaekkiPaelli

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomast View Post
Barkov ended up as 7th best player in the league MVP race and 5th best skater.Goalie Antti Raanta was clearly the MVP by votes. 104 Well known hockey journalists chose the MVP.
Feel this is about correct, although I'd swap metsola and viitaluoma to 7 and 8 and have azevedo at 5 or 4 (before erik karlsson), and barkov at 6.

Link to the list if anybody is interested :
http://www.sm-liiga.fi/arkisto/assat...s-pelaaja.html

Old
03-15-2013, 06:01 PM
fr9dd9

Chanses for WHC

What do you guys think about his chanses to play in WC?

Old
03-16-2013, 04:34 AM
Gaps

Quote:
Originally Posted by fr9dd9 View Post
What do you guys think about his chanses to play in WC?
That depends. If he's amazing in the playoffs, it will improve his chances and at this point we already know they're interested in having him on the men's team. Right now I think he has a chance of being the extra center at best, which could mean he gets a few games. If he doesn't make it this time, he will be there next season. It might actually be better that way, because he wouldn't have to wear the full mask anymore.

Old
03-16-2013, 05:27 AM
thomast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaps View Post
That depends. If he's amazing in the playoffs, it will improve his chances and at this point we already know they're interested in having him on the men's team. Right now I think he has a chance of being the extra center at best, which could mean he gets a few games. If he doesn't make it this time, he will be there next season. It might actually be better that way, because he wouldn't have to wear the full mask anymore.
NHL regular season ends up 27th of april and WHC starts 3rd of may. I doubt that many of our NHL players will come especially our centers who will most likely play playoffs.

In europe we lack size in center. Barkov is effective two-way player and can kill penalties. Not sure how he will contribute offensively in that stage. I'm pretty sure that Barkov will be atleast at the WHC camp or in WC roster.

What makes me think that Barkov should be in the team?

Despite the age Barkov is very complete player, he can play against any type of opponent effectively. Physical, hard forechecking, trap teams. Barkov is very Jalonen like player with his puck control, puck moving ability who controls the game with his hockeyIQ. Hard working kid in every area of the game.

But there is possibility that Barkov isn't chosen if Jalonen takes all the veterans again. But i would like to see Nieminen-Barkov-Osala line as 3rd line. That line would be beast of an 3rd line bringing alot of energy and physicality. Doubt that will happen but that line would be pure gold.

Old
03-16-2013, 05:29 AM
jonlin

Quote:
NHL regular season ends up 27th of april and WHC starts 3rd of may. I doubt that many of our NHL players will come especially our centers who will most likely play playoffs.

In europe we lack size in center. Barkov is effective two-way player and can kill penalties. Not sure how he will contribute offensively in that stage. I'm pretty sure that Barkov will be atleast at the WHC camp or in WC roster.

Despite the age Barkov is very complete player, he can play against any type of opponent effectively. Physical, hard forechecking, trap teams. Barkov is very Jalonen like player with his puck control, puck moving ability who controls the game with his hockeyIQ. Hard working kid in every area of the game.

But there is possibility that Barkov isn't chosen if Jalonen takes all the veterans again. But i would like to see Nieminen-Barkov-Osala line as 3rd line. That line would be beast of an 3rd line bringing alot of energy and physicality. Doubt that will happen but that line would be pure gold.

Jalonen has some sort of personal agenda against Nieminen. He wouldn`t take Nemo over any of SM-liigas 4th line grinders even...

Old
03-16-2013, 06:26 AM
thomast

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonlin View Post
Jalonen has some sort of personal agenda against Nieminen. He wouldn`t take Nemo over any of SM-liigas 4th line grinders even...
I've heard that too. Is there any clue why?

Old
03-16-2013, 12:12 PM
Gaps

Quote:

What happens in the NHL has very little relevance to whether Barkov will make the team or not, because I can only think of one forward who would be sure to play center and I think we all know who that is. But Jalonen has a bunch of KHL centers (some of whom are defensively responsible and can easily fill that 3rd/4th line role) who are more experienced than Barkov and thus will probably be on the team over him. Barkov does seem to be exactly the kind of a player Jalonen would like, if he wasn't, there's no way they would've shown any interest in having him play for the men's team at the age of 17.

If it were up to me, Barkov would take part in the camp (assuming Tappara's no longer playing), but this is Jukka Jalonen. He hasn't used many U20 players in the men's team, especially in the actual WHC tournament. I'd be willing to give Barkov a role as 3rd/4th line C and even take Ville Nieminen along to help him out, but I don't see it happening. I expect the WHC team to be filled with Jalonen's favorite veterans as usual, with a few newer faces to complete it.

Quote:
I've heard that too. Is there any clue why?
Nothing concrete, but Nieminen was quite vocal in his criticism toward Liitto (or someone, I'm not really sure who he was attacking in his statements) after Juti, Nurminen and Salmela had too much to drink during the 2011 celebrations. I don't know if that has anything to do with this, but obviously Jalonen thinks Nieminen doesn't fit into his team for whatever reason.

Old
03-16-2013, 02:14 PM
Jussi
I am siege face

vCash: 612
Quote:

World Championships begin May 3rd. If Tappara make it to the SM-Liiga finals and the series goes to 7 games, the final game is scheduled for April 25th. I'd assume the the camp is pretty much done by then.

Old
03-20-2013, 11:16 AM
RaskY
Re-registered User

vCash: 50
Barkov plays his first playoff-game ever in SM-liiga against HIFK in quarterfinals.

Barkov's wingers are Olli Palola and ex-NHLer and Stanley Cup -winner from Colorado 01' Ville Nieminen.

Let's see how he can handle the pressures.

Old
03-20-2013, 11:53 AM
Loffer

vCash: 954
how does he look out there?

Old
03-20-2013, 01:03 PM
Oan

As good as ever, strong plays, strong on boards and nice puck protecting.

Old
03-20-2013, 01:22 PM
thomast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oan View Post
As good as ever, strong plays, strong on boards and nice puck protecting.
He looks stronger than before! Very hard to win at the boards. Have seen him winning alot of pucks from the boards and can't remember many if any turnovers. The thing which impresses me the most that his decisionmaking and poise are pure excellence in this playoff game. He looks like veteran player. Hard to believe that this kid wont turn 18 until 6 months...

Old
03-20-2013, 01:27 PM
Coolburn

Send a message via AIM to Coolburn Send a message via MSN to Coolburn Send a message via Yahoo to Coolburn
Question for those Finns who have the knowledge, but my fear with Barkov is that he could have a similar development curve to Olli Jokinen. There are some obvious similarities between the 2 players IMO (size, similar draft yr in terms of scoring, style, apprehensiveness, etc). What do you think of Barkov's development curve in terms of coming over to North America? Does he follow a similar path as Jokinen where it will take him several yrs before he's a guy who can score as a top 6 forward??

Old
03-20-2013, 01:37 PM
Jussi
I am siege face

vCash: 612
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolburn View Post
Question for those Finns who have the knowledge, but my fear with Barkov is that he could have a similar development curve to Olli Jokinen. There are some obvious similarities between the 2 players IMO (size, similar draft yr in terms of scoring, style, apprehensiveness, etc). What do you think of Barkov's development curve in terms of coming over to North America? Does he follow a similar path as Jokinen where it will take him several yrs before he's a guy who can score as a top 6 forward??
He's much more complete as player and more grown than Jokinen at this age. Jokinen however developed a lot in his later years, mostly in Florida. Barkov does however have plenty of room for development but it's not reasonable to expect as big of a development curve as Jokinen had few years later.

Last edited by Jussi: 03-20-2013 at 02:01 PM.
Old
03-20-2013, 01:50 PM
thomast

Quote:
Olli Jokinen was one dimensional player at the draft year, was pretty lazy and bad player in the defensive-zone. Olli Jokinen was nowhere near Barkov in physical department. There was very big dfference in mental maturity aswell. Olli Jokinen was pretty lazy at practices and quite cocky. He was thought as diva.

Offensively they played very different kind of hockey. Olli Jokinen played more european like offensive game with slower decisions, and hogged the puck. He slowed down when he was at offensive zone. Barkov plays very NA like offensive game with quick decisions and straight foward style. Barkov scores clear majority of his goals from close range at the most crucial scoring areas in hockey especially in the NHL.

Olli Jokinen was almost 1 year older than Barkov at his draft year. Jokinen was offensively very good but i would put Barkov higher. Olli Jokinen had alot of problems in the defensive-zone being lazy player and wasn't very motivated at the defensive-zone. Barkov is probably the best two-way player in the league. I think that Barkov is superior prospect compared to Jokinen. Barkov is ahead Jokinen at every aspect of the game despite being almost 1 year younger at his draft year and at certain areas the gap is huge.

Old
03-20-2013, 02:23 PM
Gaps

Quote:
Olli's development was affected by his personal issues. He was cocky (which caused him to get lazy) and eventually ended up with an alcohol problem. These problems don't exist with Barkov, he's not like OJ personality-wise at all. One of the biggest differences when it comes to their play is that Barkov can already defend and he wants to do it, while Jokinen only learned to do it a few years ago. The only thing I'd worry about in Barkov's development is his skating, although I'm not particularly worried about that either as he's improved significantly from last season and I expect it to improve even more during this off-season.

Old
03-20-2013, 02:47 PM
JJTT

Umm why did he only play 13 minutes and koskiranta played 24 minutes, seems kinda weird?

Old
03-20-2013, 03:20 PM
Syan Ruter
Snus boogey woogey?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjtt View Post
Umm why did he only play 13 minutes and koskiranta played 24 minutes, seems kinda weird?
They were clearly the better team, and didn't want to exhaust Barkov too much. Atleast, thats my take.

Old
03-20-2013, 04:06 PM
thomast

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHeroldEFX View Post
They were clearly the better team, and didn't want to exhaust Barkov too much. Atleast, thats my take.
It's more about Nieminen who plays with minor injury.

Old
03-21-2013, 12:13 AM
Flair Hay

vCash: 155
Quote:
Olli Jokinen was one dimensional player at the draft year, was pretty lazy and bad player in the defensive-zone. Olli Jokinen was nowhere near Barkov in physical department. There was very big dfference in mental maturity aswell. Olli Jokinen was pretty lazy at practices and quite cocky. He was thought as diva.

Offensively they played very different kind of hockey. Olli Jokinen played more european like offensive game with slower decisions, and hogged the puck. He slowed down when he was at offensive zone. Barkov plays very NA like offensive game with quick decisions and straight foward style. Barkov scores clear majority of his goals from close range at the most crucial scoring areas in hockey especially in the NHL.

Olli Jokinen was almost 1 year older than Barkov at his draft year. Jokinen was offensively very good but i would put Barkov higher. Olli Jokinen had alot of problems in the defensive-zone being lazy player and wasn't very motivated at the defensive-zone. Barkov is probably the best two-way player in the league. I think that Barkov is superior prospect compared to Jokinen. Barkov is ahead Jokinen at every aspect of the game despite being almost 1 year younger at his draft year and at certain areas the gap is huge.
Jesus, this guy sounds awesome. Sounds like he's going to make a fine #1 center one day. I wish the Jets would have a chance at him but that's not happening anymore...

What's his skating and acceleartion like?

Old
03-21-2013, 12:48 AM
thomast

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhay1987 View Post
Jesus, this guy sounds awesome. Sounds like he's going to make a fine #1 center one day. I wish the Jets would have a chance at him but that's not happening anymore...

What's his skating and acceleartion like?
His skating is his weakest area in his game but it is very raw. He is 17 year old and about 210+lbs. Have developed with big leaps this year. His top speed is very underrated. I think that Barkov has fairly good speed with great glide. First steps and explosiveness are the things he needs to work with. Considering his age, style of play, Rawness in his skating, latest improvements i wouldn't be so worried. His skating technique and stride is good. I think that Barkov has potential to reach excellent range in skating but doubt that he will ever be elite. His style of play doesen't need elite speed tier below is more than enough.

At 0.15 you see him skating. This was taken month ago.

His skating at the 94's ivan hlinka

you can see big difference and how it has developed and still continues to improve. Wouldn't be suprised if he is good to very good skater after next offseason.

Barkov has chance to be elite #1 C if he reaches his potential. Think Kopitar, Toews, Bergeron they all play effectively in every situation and are very valuable at crucial moments. They are all #1 C in last 3 SC winning teams. Barkov has good potential to become similar do everything #1 C.

Last edited by thomast: 03-21-2013 at 04:02 AM.
Old
03-21-2013, 12:09 PM
thomast

Sick 2nd pass by Barkov for Tappara first goal in game 2.

Closed Thread