HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

C Aleksander Barkov - Tampere Tappara, FEL (2013, 2nd overall, Florida) III

Closed Thread

Old
03-21-2013, 12:15 PM
JurassicTunga

vCash: 575
God I hope the Flames get Barkov.

Just what we need.

Old
03-21-2013, 12:18 PM
Money Baer
COYS

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by JurassicTunga View Post
God I hope the Flames get Barkov.

Just what we need.
I'm really hoping he is available when we draft. I'm assuming we end up around 4-8. I hope GMs ahead of us fall in love with other players. I see Barkov going really early.

Old
03-21-2013, 12:33 PM
thomast

vCash: 500
2assist now to make it 2-0. He seems to be very effective player despite of very physical and hard game. He is able to play similar game in playoffs as regular season which is important. He seem to adjust very well in different type of games.

Most physical and one of the most entertaining games i've seen this year.

Last edited by thomast: 03-21-2013 at 12:40 PM.
Old
03-21-2013, 12:45 PM
Jussi
I am siege face

vCash: 612
That's two secondary assists for Barkov tonight.

Old
03-21-2013, 12:50 PM
thomast

Barkov just flatout dominates right there. Basically winning all puck battles and he is too hard to stop for opposite team.

Old
03-21-2013, 01:13 PM
RaskY
Heir to Lidstrom

1st line center Koskiranta out -> Barkov steps up. I've seen his games daily for a 2 years now and I still can't believe that he's that young.

Old
03-21-2013, 01:30 PM
thomast

Tappara get's 2 minors in the same shift and Barkov is the first one who is killing the penalty in the 5 on 3 PK. So much responsibility for 17 year old in a playoff game. Killed +1.30minutes of 5 on 3 and 4 on 3 PK. Tappara survived from the PK. There is no doubt that who is the king of the ice today.

Old
03-21-2013, 01:58 PM
SaekkiPaelli

I don't think even Granlund was this hyped by any finnish people on hfboards as thomast hypes Barkov. We finns overhype any and every athlete with potential and then wonder what goes wrong when they dont turn into a superstar. Seriously this is getting ridiculous.

Right now I don't see him hitting above 70 points. I expect him to become a solid #2C with 55-60 points and this would be a terrific outcome. And contrary to what many might think this is not bashing him, how many centers in the NHL get over 60 points regularly. And you never know, if everything goes really well, perfectly, he might become a offensively productive #1C, with really good defensive game.

Old
03-21-2013, 02:01 PM
Oan

Been reading on the draft-threads of various teams on their forums lately, and it seems that most of them are already dropping him in rankings and/or expecting Barkov to go 4th-6th. Why is that? Just because some few odd rankings lists lately put him at those positions? Do people just blindly believe them?

I've been watching Barkov play whole season, and he has constantly been brilliant, and now he seems to take the next step in playoffs too. There really isn't any logical reason to drop him outside of top 3 (where he was at the beginning of the season too), other than this Drouin-mania, and him being the new flavour of the month. And Canadian...

Old
03-21-2013, 02:08 PM
Arktos

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaekkiPaelli View Post
I don't think even Granlund was this hyped by any finnish people on hfboards as thomast hypes Barkov. We finns overhype any and every athlete with potential and then wonder what goes wrong when they dont turn into a superstar. Seriously this is getting ridiculous.

Right now I don't see him hitting above 70 points. I expect him to become a solid #2C with 55-60 points and this would be a terrific outcome. And contrary to what many might think this is not bashing him, how many centers in the NHL get over 60 points regularly. And you never know, if everything goes really well, perfectly, he might become a offensively productive #1C, with really good defensive game.
Not certain but I think Granlund was even more hyped. He was going to be above ppg and even if everything went wrong his downside would be a better Pierre-Marc Bouchard. His lack of speed and explosiveness wasn't supposed to be an issue because he can dictate the pace of the game lol. He's a joke and can't even crack the Wild roster.

IMO Barkov can become a 60-70 point two-way center and nothing more. People expecting another Finnish superstar are beyond mad.

Old
03-21-2013, 02:15 PM
Oan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arktos View Post
Not certain but I think Granlund was even more hyped. He was going to be above ppg and even if everything went wrong his downside would be a better Pierre-Marc Bouchard. His lack of speed and explosiveness wasn't supposed to be an issue because he can dictate the pace of the game lol. He's a joke and can't even crack the Wild roster.

IMO Barkov can become a 60-70 point two-way center and nothing more. People expecting another Finnish superstar are beyond mad.
You are just being another typical negative/pessimist Finn, I'd say that Barkovs ceiling is around 90pts, and floor at 40-50pts.

Old
03-21-2013, 02:16 PM
SaekkiPaelli

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arktos View Post

Ye, I meant Granlund wasn't hyped by a single person as much as thomast hypes barkov. But in general yes, he was hyped more than any other athlete ever in Finland and way more than Barkov.

There have only been two finnish forwards that have been superstars, Selanne and Kurri. Jokinen showed flashes of it but his stardom was shortlived, unfortunately.

Old
03-21-2013, 02:18 PM
thomast

Quote:
Ye, I meant Granlund wasn't hyped by a single person as much as thomast hypes barkov. But in general yes, he was hyped more than any other athlete ever in Finland and way more than Barkov.

There have only been two finnish forwards that have been superstars, Selanne and Kurri. Jokinen showed flashes of it but his stardom was shortlived, unfortunately.
Tell me how i have hyped him? I'll argue against you.

Old
03-21-2013, 02:22 PM
SaekkiPaelli

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oan View Post
You are just being another typical negative/pessimist Finn, I'd say that Barkovs ceiling is around 90pts, and floor at 40-50pts.

How can 60-70 be pessimistic! How many players reach that consistently season after season? 60-70 point player is a firstliner and incredibly rare

We always overhype and then we don't appreciate the players that make it and are really good, just because they didn't reach the impossible expectations of the fans. This isn't just hockey btw, in every sport.

Old
03-21-2013, 02:22 PM
Finnished

I think us Finns should just update how he's playing and show highlights etc and stop saying he will do this and that.. you never know how well kids who have played on the big ice all their live will adapt to the NHL rinks. That said Barkov is already a great hockey player and he has a great career ahead I just hope everyone would calm down a little bit with all these expectations.. People won't take our opinions seriously much longer if we keep hyping all the kids non stop.

Old
03-21-2013, 02:24 PM
Loffer

vCash: 954
Thomast is right. Barkov is something else.

Old
03-21-2013, 02:30 PM
Tuomaz

I just threw up a little reading this. People drowning on self pity is so ugly. "We finns overhype prospect and nobody will believe us anymore yadayada...". Everyone can make their own opinion and listen others with grain of salt. Atleast thomast is keeping us posted and he clearly watches these prospects that is more than we can say about couple whiners here.

Old
03-21-2013, 02:31 PM
Jussi
I am siege face

vCash: 612
IFK are just horrible and wouldn't be at this stage if not for Ortio and SaiPa crapping the bed. People need to consider that before making any long term projections.

Old
03-21-2013, 02:35 PM
SaekkiPaelli

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomast View Post
Tell me how i have hyped him? I'll argue against you.
First of all Barkovs skating is a much bigger issue than many say. Also, he is not nearly as flawless in his own zone as people tend to give him credit, he does give the puck away, seen couple that directly resulted in goals. But the image from your posts is this:

1. Dominates every single game
2. Never gives away the puck
3. Never loses at the boards (which he does occasionally, although he is very good there)
4. Best player in the FEL
5. Incredible offensive potential(which he does have but I don't think he uses his good shot enough)

I'm not saying he doesn't have great potential but with these posts, not just you, it's like we have the next datsyuk on our hands

And almost no prospect is a sure thing. The probability of drouin or mackinnon being ppg players is really small as well. People don't realize how hard it is even after you are a great prospect.

Old
03-21-2013, 02:36 PM
thomast

Quote:
How can 60-70 be pessimistic! How many players reach that consistently season after season? 60-70 point player is a firstliner and incredibly rare

We always overhype and then we don't appreciate the players that make it and are really good, just because they didn't reach the impossible expectations of the fans. This isn't just hockey btw, in every sport.
You're the guy who said that Armia has 75+pt 40g ceiling. Barkov is at 17 year old better offensively than armia at 19. Armia is much more flashier but how would you think that whose game translates better to the NHL? Armia dekes? Or Barkov straight foward style with quick puck moving ability? Armia is great sniper but Barkov is much better at close range hitting rebounds in and these areas are most crucial scoring areas especially in the NHL. Barkov is still raw physically despite being very strong, his skating is improving with fast pace. Barkov is 2 weeks off 2014 draft. I've seen Barkov outplaying guys like Mikko Koivu. Hell even Jussi Jokinen scored 60. Barkov is special player and honestly i've never seen as good 17 year old in finland and it's not even close. I've been watching hockey for quite long time. Of course there is possibility that he fails to develope but it's highly unlikely. There is no guarantee that he becomes star or busts but i think that Barkov in right enviroment, good linemates and improving skating could be elite #1 C. He has much better tools than Mikko Koivu had. If he stopped developement right now then i could agree 60points would be pretty good but he is still 17 and right now he is developing faster than ever. Highly doubt that it will hit on the wall.

Granlund and Barkov are 2 complitely different players and play different style. Granlund is still learning give him time.

Old
03-21-2013, 02:42 PM
SaekkiPaelli

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuomaz View Post
I just threw up a little reading this. People drowning on self pity is so ugly. "We finns overhype prospect and nobody will believe us anymore yadayada...". Everyone can make their own opinion and listen others with grain of salt. Atleast thomast is keeping us posted and he clearly watches these prospects that is more than we can say about couple whiners here.
What does this have to do with self pity? I just don't respect the fact that some players are overhyped to the heavens and once the do not meet the expectations the sports exposure itself suffers and it decreases appreciation for other athletes. Finlands funding of athletes is already on a pathetic level. This doesn't concern hockey since its probably exposurewise the biggest sport in Finland.

Old
03-21-2013, 02:43 PM
edd1e

Quote:
First of all Barkovs skating is a much bigger issue than many say. Also, he is not nearly as flawless in his own zone as people tend to give him credit, he does give the puck away, seen couple that directly resulted in goals. But the image from your posts is this:

3. Never loses at the boards (which he does occasionally, although he is very good there)
5. Incredible offensive potential(which he does have but I don't think he uses his good shot enough)

I'm not saying he doesn't have great potential but with these posts, not just you, it's like we have the next datsyuk on our hands

And almost no prospect is a sure thing. The probability of drouin or mackinnon being ppg players is really small as well. People don't realize how hard it is even after you are a great prospect.

No, its not. Number of people (for example GM of Columbus Blue Jackets) have stated that he's a relatively good skater for his size and age.

Old
03-21-2013, 02:48 PM
SaekkiPaelli

Armias ceiling is if everything goes perfectly, if everything goes perfectly for Barkov he might hit ppg for a few season, but I don't expect either to do it. I'd be ecstatic if either nets 30 for a couple of seasons or hits 60-70 points. I think Armia has more raw offensive potential, however right now Barkov is the better player. And about Granlund I see him getting to the NHL, if he puts the work into it. But I don't see him getting close to the numbers that some said, like 90+ points for multiple seasons.

Old
03-21-2013, 02:50 PM
thomast

Quote:

Quote my post where i have stated that he dominates every game, never gives away puck(you really think that i would mean it right that? He would be best player pf the world and ever if he had that kind of ability

Everyone loses board battles. If i state that he seems to win all the puck battles it doesen't mean that he wins all but majority of them. Did you even watch the game? I want to hear if someone disagrees or agrees with me seeing todays game.

Quote where i have stated that he is best player of FEL? I have stated that he is best two-way player of the FEL and that is my opinion and many people shares similar view. He has incredible offensive potential IMO, he isn't flashy or do flashy plays but he has excellent vision, quick head and he positions himself very well in the offensive zone, great goal scorer at the close range. Very good hands in traffic and handling the bouncing passes, his coolness in scoring chances, his constistency. There is various reasons that he has excellent offensive potential. Watch Sidney Crosby, he doesen't do much flashy stuffs anymore his head his faster than everyone else and he makes simple effective plays. Barkov doesen't have as quick head because it's pretty special but he is elite in that area and plays pretty simple and effective game aswell. Barkov is excellent passer and posesses good shot like you said and i agree he should use it more often but maybe he'll learn.

But maybe you value flashy dangles, passes and other offensive plays highly and determine how good they are offensive based on that. I value myself smart, simple plays, how they pass and receive passes especially hard bouncing pucks, how cool they are at scoring chances, decision making, positioning in the offensive zone, offensive awareness. I've seen Barkov doing flashy dangles and all if he wants to Effectiveness>Flash and Barkov is very effective and lethal player in the offensive zone. He plays very straight foward quick offensive game.

You're absolutely right that it is very hard to score 80 or even 90 points in the NHL but claiming that Barkov is lucky to hit 60-70 isn't smart especially without any arguments just shouting and whining. Barkov has excellent potential and he is probably most promising 17 year old ever from Finland. Not sayin that he is another Selänne or Kurri but definetly has potential to score alot of points if he developes like expected.

Last edited by thomast: 03-21-2013 at 03:09 PM.
Old
03-21-2013, 02:53 PM
SaekkiPaelli

Quote:
Originally Posted by edd1e View Post
No, its not. Number of people (for example GM of Columbus Blue Jackets) have stated that he's a relatively good skater for his size and age.
Skating is hard to change and improve. People say he is young and he has time but time goes by awfully fast. And when I watch him I just don't see a skatingstyle that could ever become dynamic or explosive. Although I do agree that it's not terrible as some (maybe including myself?) have said. But I still see it as an issue, and Iäd love to see him shoot more.

Closed Thread