HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Notices

Wang in preliminary talks to sell team!

Old
02-17-2013, 08:57 AM
Mavericknyc1980

vCash: 500
BD is seriously shooting down this rumor.

Mavericknyc1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2013, 09:16 AM
IslesBeBack*
NHL Free Agent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mavericknyc1980 View Post
The same ****** who was so sure the 8/1 vote was going to pass, and paraded his "sources" around on twitter?

{MOD EDIT} He knows jack ****. He started as a blog box member, what does he really know?

Last edited by Homeland Security: 02-17-2013 at 11:45 AM. Reason: Edit
IslesBeBack* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2013, 09:33 AM
HyeDray
HFB Partner

I can't put any credibility into something the NY Post reports. That much is first and foremost.

IF/When TSN, NHL, CBC, Newsday begin reporting that the team is quietly being put on the market then it may have some legs.

I have no doubt Charles Wang would sell this team for the right price but no one is going to pay him the supposed $300 mil according to the article.

The man is not going to keep the team forever. He is getting older, tired of losing money so sure, the team could be sold, but right now, I would not hang my hat on a BS rumor from the NY Post.

HyeDray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2013, 09:37 AM
IslesBeBack*
NHL Free Agent

Quote:
Originally Posted by HyeDray View Post
I can't put any credibility into something the NY Post reports. That much is first and foremost.

IF/When TSN, NHL, CBC, Newsday begin reporting that the team is quietly being put on the market then it may have some legs.

I have no doubt Charles Wang would sell this team for the right price but no one is going to pay him the supposed $300 mil according to the article.

The man is not going to keep the team forever. He is getting older, tired of losing money so sure, the team could be sold, but right now, I would not hang my hat on a BS rumor from the NY Post.
On one hand, you're right. Can't trust the NY Post.

But do you really think anyone at Failsday will report this? You think Staple will get this type of info?

The post is a NYC paper. They would have this type of information.

Lastly, nobody just pulls this information out of thin air. Why would a newspaper just randomly make up that Wang is talking to the Raine group?

There is smoke here. It may not come to fruition, but I think there are signs Wang wants out. BTW, I have paid attention to Wang's box, and he hasn't been at the last three home games, even when his precious RIcky was in net.

For the home opener, Wang was with Ratner at the Coliseum.

Stay positive. Maybe we all need to stay positive for once and it will happen.

IslesBeBack* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2013, 09:49 AM
Bert Marshall days

Where does this guy get his source about 10 mil being the most Wang lost when Forbes says NYI lost 16 mil last season?

Wang being with Ratner a lot is a good sign. Partners or Ratner's people being a majority if not sole owner or via Prokhororv?

Quietly Wang probably is tryng to sell but doubt he'll announce it offcially publicly.

Last edited by DaveG: 02-17-2013 at 04:30 PM. Reason: politics
Bert Marshall days is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2013, 09:51 AM
nyscene

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mavericknyc1980 View Post
BD also said there was "no chance" the Isles would go to Brooklyn.

nyscene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2013, 10:50 AM
Bert Marshall days

"An Islanders spokesman said there is no truth to the story"

...From the article.

Got it.

Old
02-17-2013, 11:24 AM
Wanderson

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bert Marshall days View Post
Looks like it's for sale to anyone with 300 mil, just like before with LaFontaine and the Euro investors. Bogus then and probably bogus now.

Wang wll sell one day but not for 300 mil.
Didn't the owners of Atlanta Thrashers sold the team for 110 million dollars? For me it's hard to believe that someone is ready to pay 300 million dollars for the Isles.

Anyway, let's wait and see...

Wanderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2013, 11:43 AM
Yitz

Quote:
"An Islanders spokesman said there is no truth to the story"

...From the article.

Got it.
if wang is looking to sell he's not going to just announce that right now during the season. he's a businessman, he's gonna do this right and sell the team when they move to Brooklyn.

Yitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2013, 11:47 AM
Homeland Security
Mod Supervisor
#beLIeve

https://twitter.com/BDGallof/status/303144684124008449

By the way, post report is not just denied by #isles but laughed at by those I have spoken to

For what its worth.

02-17-2013, 11:51 AM
StrongIslanders90

Because Wang Snow and CO. never kept things quiet right?

Thats all the do, we wont know whats going on until it hapens..

StrongIslanders90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2013, 11:58 AM
Bert Marshall days

There might be something to this after all. This investment firm has major connections with China and technology, 2 of Wang's loves.

Read this really interesting article -

Raine

The partners plan to make "select investments in the sports, entertainment and digital media sectors," both in China and around the world.

http://m.hollywoodreporter.com/news/...partner-415016

Old
02-17-2013, 12:08 PM
nyscene

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homeland Security View Post
https://twitter.com/BDGallof/status/303144684124008449

By the way, post report is not just denied by #isles but laughed at by those I have spoken to

For what its worth.
Yes but taking Gallof at face value is like taking Eklund at face value.

I have little doubt this team will have a new owner, if not now than shortly after moving to Brooklyn.

nyscene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2013, 01:05 PM
HyeDray
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by IslesBeBack View Post
On one hand, you're right. Can't trust the NY Post.

But do you really think anyone at Failsday will report this? You think Staple will get this type of info?

The post is a NYC paper. They would have this type of information.

Lastly, nobody just pulls this information out of thin air. Why would a newspaper just randomly make up that Wang is talking to the Raine group?

There is smoke here. It may not come to fruition, but I think there are signs Wang wants out. BTW, I have paid attention to Wang's box, and he hasn't been at the last three home games, even when his precious RIcky was in net.

For the home opener, Wang was with Ratner at the Coliseum.

Stay positive. Maybe we all need to stay positive for once and it will happen.
Im not suggesting that Newsday has a stellar track record either but if it is reported in Newsday of the NY Times, I am far more inclined to consider that there is some truth to it. The post is dog poop top to bottom.

I think anyone connected with NHL hockey, they know Staple is the beat writer, and Newsday is the only paper that covers the Isles regularly. So on one hand, if they are making moves, they would want to keep it from Newsday. But on the other yes, I think Staple is capable of getting this information.

I have felt that the Islanders were "for sale" for a long time but there is actively making attempts to sell the franchise, and then there is the "this is my price, and if you pay it, I'll sell it," method and I think Wang has been doing the latter.

If someone comes to him with $300 mil in a suitcase yes, then he would hand them the keys. But there is no report of that, and there is no one who believes that he will get that price at this time.

If there is any paper in the world that makes s_it up its the NY Post. Why? because it gets people talking about it, and that generates hits to the article, sales of the paper.

As I said yes *he will sell it for HIS price. And he may sell after the move, but right now? Nope. I don't buy it, unless TSN/CBC or NHL.com pick it up.

HyeDray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2013, 01:28 PM
doublechili

vCash: 600
So the consensus seems to be that we are not to believe that Wang will sell the Isles because:

1. it's being reported in the NY Post; and

2. Wang wants $300 million, as reported in the NY Post.

doublechili is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2013, 03:10 PM
periferal

Quote:
Quietly Wang probably is tryng to sell but doubt he'll announce it offcially publicly.

Well if Wang wants a ridiculous 300 million, he'd probably want to publicize it a bit...

periferal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2013, 03:18 PM
periferal

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublechili View Post
So the consensus seems to be that we are not to believe that Wang will sell the Isles because:

3. It HASN'T been reported in places that it would be if it were true (like Newsday, TSN, NY Times, etc.)

And even if the Post report is true, if Wang is looking for 300 million (even as a negotiating point), then the Isles might as well not be for sale. That's like me saying my iPad is for sale for $50,000.

Old
02-17-2013, 03:30 PM
Pnut

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublechili View Post

Forget about "the Post" for a second, does anyone here believe that Wang will get $300 million for the Isles?
Anyone??

Second, people have seen that the NY Post has a long track record of throwing **** against the wall and seeing if it sticks. Even if other media outlets or newspapers had this track record it would make their claims a little (or a lot) more doubt-able. Post has this record. No one else is running with this.

I believe that Staple would be able to uncover this-this you or anyone else can debate, but the Post's record is pretty consistent (consistently crummy)

Pnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2013, 03:51 PM
periferal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pnut View Post
Forget about "the Post" for a second, does anyone here believe that Wang will get $300 million for the Isles?
Anyone??

Second, people have seen that the NY Post has a long track record of throwing **** against the wall and seeing if it sticks. Even if other media outlets or newspapers had this track record it would make their claims a little (or a lot) more doubt-able. Post has this record. No one else is running with this.

I believe that Staple would be able to uncover this-this you or anyone else can debate, but the Post's record is pretty consistent (consistently crummy)

Bingo.

Regardless if you believe the Post report or not, it's now out there and you can be sure that Staple/Newsday, TSN, the NY Times, or anyone else has done their due diligence on this and if it was true then you'd have follow up articles from those media outlets within 48 hours the latest.

Because I don't believe the article, I'm willing to bet you don't hear much more about this going forward.

I think so many of us realize how horrid Wang is so we're in denial about the report just praying it were true,

Old
02-17-2013, 04:11 PM
Homeland Security
Mod Supervisor
#beLIeve

Let's move along from the Romney talk!

Homeland Security is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2013, 04:16 PM
Bert Marshall days

Quote:
Originally Posted by periferal View Post
Well if Wang wants a ridiculous 300 million, he'd probably want to publicize it a bit...
So you're saying he should take out a classfied ad in Crain's or leak it to the Post? Anywhere but NYP.

Old
02-17-2013, 04:24 PM
Bert Marshall days

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yitz View Post
if wang is looking to sell he's not going to just announce that right now during the season. he's a businessman, he's gonna do this right and sell the team when they move to Brooklyn.
Agreed.

Old
02-17-2013, 05:06 PM
19 in a row

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homeland Security View Post
So you're going to stop following hockey because the team is moving 20 miles west? I moved 1200 miles away and follow the Isles more now than I ever did before. The feeling doesn't change. The only difference is a new building and a few more miles drive. Now if you said you were fed up cause Wang is a cheap SOB, that I can buy, but because the team is moving a few miles? Damn! Ask Thrasher fans how they felt losing a team all together or Winnipeg fans the first time their team left. Wang could of sold and the Isles could have been known as the Kansas City Tornados, but instead a 20 mile move allows them to remain the New York Islanders and the best part, the name is still true to a location.

It has nothing to do with moving 20 miles. No need to comment further as it will be invariably be misinterpreted.

19 in a row is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2013, 06:18 PM
doublechili

vCash: 600
Quote:
Originally Posted by periferal View Post
3. It HASN'T been reported in places that it would be if it were true (like Newsday, TSN, NY Times, etc.)

And even if the Post report is true, if Wang is looking for 300 million (even as a negotiating point), then the Isles might as well not be for sale. That's like me saying my iPad is for sale for $50,000.
Note that the Wang article was not in the Sports section of the NYP - it was in the business section and was written by the Post's private equity reporter. Maybe he's got connections in this Raine outfit that others don't have.

doublechili is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2013, 06:23 PM
Mr Wentworth
Arch Duke of Raleigh

Let us assume that in 10 days, someone else will own the Isles...

Do they move to Brooklyn for the fall?

Mr Wentworth is offline   Reply With Quote