HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Wang in preliminary talks to sell team!

Old
02-17-2013, 09:48 PM
potvins4cups

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 19 in a row View Post
This... so I can add him to my list with Kate Murray and the rest of the politicians. I ran into a friend on the train the other day who I hadn't seen in 20 years. He was a huge Islander fan in the day, said he will no longer root for them but become a Ranger fan since they will be the most convenient for him and can't root for an Islander team in Brooklyn since it will no longer be our Islanders.. two years ago this would have been blasphemy, now I don't think it will be so crazy.. me, i will most likely stop following pro hockey when they move.. I have bled blue and orange through the lean years, now I still go to every game(bought my season tix before the move was announced) but the feeling is not the same... ownership and the politicians have given us the middle finger for too long.

Whaaaaa whaaaaa whaaaaa the islanders are moving to brooklyn whaaaaaa whaaaaa whaaaaa i can never root for them again whaaaa whaaaaa i am going to root for the rangers now whaaaaa whaaaaa.

good riddance. the islanders don't need people like this as fans. you will be replaced very easily.

potvins4cups is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 03:22 AM
Bert Marshall days

Raine was involved with Ratner and Forest City for Nets, Brooklyn project. This could be what many have been saying including yours truly, NYI to be sold to a Ratner colleague?

Article below explains it -

"The transaction is expected to close by the first quarter of next year upon certain conditions being fulfilled, including approval by the NBA's Board of Governors. The Raine Group and Goldman, Sachs & Co. advised FCRC and NSE. Simpson Thacher & Bartlett LLP acted as legal counsel to FCRC and NSE. Hogan & Hartson advised Onexim Group."

http://ir.forestcity.net/phoenix.zht...934&highlight=

Bert Marshall days is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 04:16 AM
ichabod13

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriCycleDriveBy View Post
I also don't think he or anyone else with nearly a billion dollars really gives a ****. Oh wow, he only has 900 million dollars now, what a shame. His lifestyle hasn't changed personally, I can guarantee that.
do you know why millionaires keep investing their money instead of just sitting on it? its because they want to become billionaires. if you are worth a perfect 1 billion dollars, you are in the "billionaires club".......if you lose a dollar, you are no longer a billionaire and you get relegated to the "millionaires club". millionaires strive to be billionaires, billionaires strive to be the first trillionaire.
warren buffett is already a billionaire, and he and an ivstment group ( i think theyre called 3G capitol ) just bought the h.j. heinz company..........for 23 BILLION dollars. do you think its been a lifelong dream of buffets to own a ****ing ketchup company? he and his partners bought that company so they could make more money.
i used to work for a company called durrett shepperd steel, the largest steel distributor in maryland. both owners were worth around 70 million each. one of them got mad because the vending company that owned the machines in the break room raised the price of a pack of peanutbutter crackers from 35 cents to 40 cents. he canceled the contract with that vending company and brought in a different one.......that would sell the crackers for 35 cents. he did that over a ****ing nickle!!!!

so dont try to ******** me with your "I also don't think he or anyone else with nearly a billion dollars really gives a ****.". the richer they get, the greadier they get.

ichabod13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 08:46 AM
IceAce
HEY BUD, LETS PARTY!

vCash: 178
not surprising, I've been saying since the Brooklyn move was announced that they'd be sold. Beyond the short term, that move only makes sense if the Isles are a loss leader for the folks who own Barclay's. It doesnt make sense for them to be a tenant in that arena under Wang's ownership.

IceAce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 10:01 AM
Bert Marshall days

Quote:
Originally Posted by IceAce View Post
not surprising, I've been saying since the Brooklyn move was announced that they'd be sold. Beyond the short term, that move only makes sense if the Isles are a loss leader for the folks who own Barclay's. It doesnt make sense for them to be a tenant in that arena under Wang's ownership.
Exactly. That makes perfect sense as the plan. The time and energy wasted by some thinking Wang would never move to Brooklyn because of being a tenant or sell was ridculous.

Bert Marshall days is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 11:42 AM
eastonhockey22*

Quote:
Originally Posted by potvins4cups View Post
Whaaaaa whaaaaa whaaaaa the islanders are moving to brooklyn whaaaaaa whaaaaa whaaaaa i can never root for them again whaaaa whaaaaa i am going to root for the rangers now whaaaaa whaaaaa.

good riddance. the islanders don't need people like this as fans. you will be replaced very easily.
Agreed, anyone who can just switch over to being a Ranger fan just like that wasn't a real Islander fan to begin with.

Also, to people saying that the Islanders will be come "the city's" new team, you're crazy. Just like the Knicks will always be the kings of new york basketball the rangers will always be #1 in Manhattan... you know, the actual city...

And finally, to those of you crying about how you hate public transportation, I personally love it. It's gonna be cheaper, faster, safer, and more convienient than driving for me and many many other people. So my opinion cancels yours out haha.

Good Day.

eastonhockey22* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 11:48 AM
lorwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by ichabod13 View Post
do you know why millionaires keep investing their money instead of just sitting on it? its because they want to become billionaires. if you are worth a perfect 1 billion dollars, you are in the "billionaires club".......if you lose a dollar, you are no longer a billionaire and you get relegated to the "millionaires club". millionaires strive to be billionaires, billionaires strive to be the first trillionaire.
warren buffett is already a billionaire, and he and an ivstment group ( i think theyre called 3G capitol ) just bought the h.j. heinz company..........for 23 BILLION dollars. do you think its been a lifelong dream of buffets to own a ****ing ketchup company? he and his partners bought that company so they could make more money.
i used to work for a company called durrett shepperd steel, the largest steel distributor in maryland. both owners were worth around 70 million each. one of them got mad because the vending company that owned the machines in the break room raised the price of a pack of peanutbutter crackers from 35 cents to 40 cents. he canceled the contract with that vending company and brought in a different one.......that would sell the crackers for 35 cents. he did that over a ****ing nickle!!!!

so dont try to ******** me with your "I also don't think he or anyone else with nearly a billion dollars really gives a ****.". the richer they get, the greadier they get.
What you describe is the same mental illness that causes people to become hoarders or extreme couponers. It's generally a fear based anxiety except instead of collecting junk or five years worth of free ketchup the object is money. No rational person continues to spend the one thing that has a limit (time) obtaining something that at a certain point has no use (five year old newspapers or more salad dressing than you can consume in a lifetime or more money than one can spend) The difference is that in our consumer based economy the money hoarder is looked up to as opposed to the money giver (Bill Gates) who people look at and scratch their heads (Why is he giving it all away?)

lorwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 11:50 AM
IceAce
HEY BUD, LETS PARTY!

I always get a good chuckle at the "terrified suburbanite" rants you see here every so often. Amazing how terrified some our of cities.

Old
02-18-2013, 12:01 PM
MJF

Quote:
Originally Posted by wakawaka View Post
Agreed, anyone who can just switch over to being a Ranger fan just like that wasn't a real Islander fan to begin with.

Also, to people saying that the Islanders will be come "the city's" new team, you're crazy. Just like the Knicks will always be the kings of new york basketball the rangers will always be #1 in Manhattan... you know, the actual city...

And finally, to those of you crying about how you hate public transportation, I personally love it. It's gonna be cheaper, faster, safer, and more convienient than driving for me and many many other people. So my opinion cancels yours out haha.
Good Day.
LOLOLOL. I wouldn't ride the subway from Brooklyn back to Queens at 10pm if you paid me double.

I'd like to get home the same night the game ended.

MJF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 12:36 PM
eastonhockey22*

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJF View Post
LOLOLOL. I wouldn't ride the subway from Brooklyn back to Queens at 10pm if you paid me double.

If you're trying to say you're afraid of getting robbed/beaten/kidnapped/etc. I guess we're just gonna ignore the fact that you're gonna be surrounded by 10,000 other people and a ton of cops/police officers and it's not the 1990's any more. And lets be honest here bro... taking the subway from BK to queens is about the same amount of time as a drive from nassau to queens and it only costs $2.50

Anyway i was speaking about people traveling to/from Long Island who will be able to walk across the street to the LIRR station. You're much less likely to be involved in a train collision than a car accident is what i was getting at... especially if you like those $10 beers haha

Last edited by eastonhockey22*: 02-18-2013 at 01:06 PM.
Old
02-18-2013, 01:09 PM
Bexlyspeed

Quote:

are you joking? its not 1988 anymore, the trains run great at 10, at 11 and even at midnight on weekdays. and there are plenty of people on them.

too many ridiculous excuses on here.

Bexlyspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 01:20 PM
MJF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bexlyspeed View Post
are you joking? its not 1988 anymore, the trains run great at 10, at 11 and even at midnight on weekdays. and there are plenty of people on them.

too many ridiculous excuses on here.
I couldn't be more serious.

Try riding the F from Jay St to 179th St or taking the 4 at Atlantic Av to the 7 to Main St and tell me how long that will take at 10pm.

There's more to Queens than Astoria.

Last edited by MJF: 02-18-2013 at 01:30 PM.
Old
02-18-2013, 01:23 PM
MJF

Quote:
If you're trying to say you're afraid of getting robbed/beaten/kidnapped/etc. I guess we're just gonna ignore the fact that you're gonna be surrounded by 10,000 other people and a ton of cops/police officers and it's not the 1990's any more. And lets be honest here bro... taking the subway from BK to queens is about the same amount of time as a drive from nassau to queens and it only costs $2.50

Anyway i was speaking about people traveling to/from Long Island who will be able to walk across the street to the LIRR station. You're much less likely to be involved in a train collision than a car accident is what i was getting at... especially if you like those $10 beers haha
Well, I don't drink anymore. And I've been driving home from the Coliseum after games for the better part of 33 years and the worst thing that ever happened to me was dealing with the snow.

Don't pigeon-hole everyone into the same situation.

Old
02-18-2013, 01:41 PM
eastonhockey22*

Quote:
I couldn't be more serious.

Try riding the F from Jay St to 179th St or taking the 4 at Atlantic Av to the 7 to Main St and tell me how long that will take at 10pm.

There's more to Queens than Astoria.
Isn't the jay street station all the way up north by the Brooklyn and Manhattan bridges? Or, like, around ploytechnic? If your walking all the way there from the Barclays center to catch the Subway im pretty sure i figured out why it takes you SOOOOOOO long to get home haha.

Quote:
Well, I don't drink anymore. And I've been driving home from the Coliseum after games for the better part of 33 years and the worst thing that ever happened to me was dealing with the snow.

Well, i do drink. And i've been taking the train from the city to Suffolk county for 3 years and the worst thing that ever happened to me was dealing with my ipod dying mid ride.

Old
02-18-2013, 02:37 PM
MJF

Quote:
Isn't the jay street station all the way up north by the Brooklyn and Manhattan bridges? Or, like, around ploytechnic? If your walking all the way there from the Barclays center to catch the Subway im pretty sure i figured out why it takes you SOOOOOOO long to get home haha.

Well, i do drink. And i've been taking the train from the city to Suffolk county for 3 years and the worst thing that ever happened to me was dealing with my ipod dying mid ride.

I know where Jay Street is. Its the station I'm going to have to take the R train to to get the F.

Old
02-18-2013, 03:25 PM
MJF

Why do so many people on this board think the anti-Brooklyn sentiment is a "fear factor" type of thing?

Old
02-18-2013, 03:33 PM
A Pointed Stick
There Is Always...

vCash: 250
Bad coaching again today. I noticed Tavares' line out for extended shifts, no response to the physical play except Martin on a personal level, total panic lines in the third period, no preparation for the first period again... Just awful.

Of course what is the alternative, promote the janitor for the Wheat Kings?

A Pointed Stick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 03:37 PM
Doshell Propivo

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorwood View Post
What you describe is the same mental illness that causes people to become hoarders or extreme couponers. It's generally a fear based anxiety except instead of collecting junk or five years worth of free ketchup the object is money. No rational person continues to spend the one thing that has a limit (time) obtaining something that at a certain point has no use (five year old newspapers or more salad dressing than you can consume in a lifetime or more money than one can spend) The difference is that in our consumer based economy the money hoarder is looked up to as opposed to the money giver (Bill Gates) who people look at and scratch their heads (Why is he giving it all away?)
Bill Gates isn't giving it all away. What he is doing is noble to be sure, but he can double what he is giving away and still be in the top 1% of the top 1%.

When you have a lot of money, it becomes easier to make even more money. Greed, compulsion, obsession may be a part of it but I can imaginbe how difficult it must be to "turn off." Lots of people become reliant on you - and you eventually get to a point where you want to ensure the comfort of future generations, not just your children's.

Doshell Propivo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 03:46 PM
IceAce
HEY BUD, LETS PARTY!

Quote:
Why do so many people on this board think the anti-Brooklyn sentiment is a "fear factor" type of thing?
when that sentiment involves arguments about crime, parking, lack of understanding of public transportation, etc. it's the typical angry suburbanite response about anything involving the city.

Old
02-18-2013, 09:21 PM
potvins4cups

The long island railroad is in the midst of a tremendous project that is scheduled to conclude in 2016 that will make taking the train from nassau and suffolk alot easier than now. by the time the islanders make it to brooklyn, getting to the barclays will become simpler and quicker than at the present time.

Old
02-18-2013, 09:56 PM
iLandHer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ichabod13 View Post

I think you missed what I said.

"There is no guarantee that he'll make money on the Isles, especially considering the only way to do that would be to spend money...which is obviously something he is unwilling to do."

Your entire story/rant about millionaires wanting to become billionaires only furthers my point. He's unwilling to make the investment into the Islanders anymore, he's looking to cut his losses on this project and look for another one he's more passionate about and likely with a better ROI. Billionaires make calculated decisions and cut their losses when they think the time is right.

The time seems to be right for Wang and something is always better than nothing.

Quote:

So drive. It's not impossible to drive into Brooklyn. Getting there might be a little bit of a hassle, but the ride home wouldn't be bad at all.

Quote:
The long island railroad is in the midst of a tremendous project that is scheduled to conclude in 2016 that will make taking the train from nassau and suffolk alot easier than now. by the time the islanders make it to brooklyn, getting to the barclays will become simpler and quicker than at the present time.
It's not hard to take the train into Brooklyn currently from Suffolk. Transferring isn't all that bad, so I'm sure the improvements will just make it more smooth than it already is.

When the Mets play they put extra trains there waiting for the games to let out, I'm sure train schedules will likely be influenced by the games being played to make it easier on people.

iLandHer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 10:25 PM
periferal

Quote:

And why are so many here whining so much because the Isles are moving to Brooklyn?

I've lived in Manhattan for the past 10 years with no car and made my way to games when I wanted to. The problem isn't their location...It's the product on the ice. Wang is not getting another penny from me. The 2/3 train ir right out my front door currently so I can be at the Barclays' center in 30 minutes and not even wear a jacket. Yet if the Isles were there now I still wouldn't go to games.

In fact I encourage those of you going to games to stop going. The only chance we have of wang getting the message that we don't support him is to stop supporting him financially. I'm not talking about 8,000 fans...I'm talking about under 1,000. Someone make a website...www.notgoingtogamessowangwillsell.com. Get the message out. Tell the players we still love them, but this is short-term pain to get them an owner they deserve.

periferal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 10:46 PM
potvins4cups

Quote:
Originally Posted by periferal View Post
And why are so many here whining so much because the Isles are moving to Brooklyn?

I've lived in Manhattan for the past 10 years with no car and made my way to games when I wanted to. The problem isn't their location...It's the product on the ice. Wang is not getting another penny from me. The 2/3 train ir right out my front door currently so I can be at the Barclays' center in 30 minutes and not even wear a jacket. Yet if the Isles were there now I still wouldn't go to games.

In fact I encourage those of you going to games to stop going. The only chance we have of wang getting the message that we don't support him is to stop supporting him financially. I'm not talking about 8,000 fans...I'm talking about under 1,000. Someone make a website...www.notgoingtogamessowangwillsell.com. Get the message out. Tell the players we still love them, but this is short-term pain to get them an owner they deserve.

If he sells the team then the total opposite should occur. every islanders fan from every corner of the tri-state area should make it to a game and cheer him no longer being the teams owner.

Old
02-19-2013, 01:19 AM
19 in a row

Quote:

classy, we definitely need more fans like you... you have used this same response multiple times over the last year or two for those who disagree with you and once again you have misinterpreted my comments.. I will never root for the rangers, noone is whining or asking for your empathy (lol).. but the statements are valid, this team has driven away fans in droves to the point even the many of the hardcore fans (and few are more hardcore than me) are getting turned off.. and that sucks for any fan base ... so don't take it personally kid (at least i hope you are with juvenile responses like yours to comments which were not directed at you), no need to get so upset with those who disagree with you.. funny how the nastiest people in these threads all seem to be those who have pushed for brooklyn all along.. maybe insulting everyone else and long island specifically is the only way they can feel good about themselves.. who knows but it takes all kinds..I have always tried to be as inclusive as possible for the fan bases which I belong to but maybe this exclusionary approach where you attack anyone who doesnt agree with you is the new trend..however that is beyond me for a team that is looking to expand its base.. good luck to you in selecting who the islanders need and don't need as fans.... i wonder if this is how the marketing team for the islander will operate as the move approaches.

19 in a row is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 01:27 AM
Paulinho
No Man's Sky

They are in Brooklyn now, get over it or go elsewhere.

Paulinho is offline   Reply With Quote