HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Bauer 920 (half visor + half cage)

Old
02-16-2013, 10:22 AM
Kevin8se7en
Unregistered User

vCash: 500
Bauer 920 (half visor + half cage)

I play D and block a lot of shots. I hate my current cage so I want a Visor but want to keep my teeth... this seems like a decent choice.

Reviews are good and bla bla... has anyone actually tried this? Thoughts?
What if it gets scratched or cracked? is the visor replaceable or would I have to buy a new one entirely?

Also, where in the world can I buy one in Canada for a reasonable price? Bauer doesn't ship to Canada from US sites.

Kevin8se7en is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2013, 10:30 AM
AIREAYE

Those things don't typically go on sale, so any of your local retailer should have some or be able to order one in from Bauer for you.

Sportchek, Pro Hockey Life etc. should all have that item in inventory.

The visor is not replaceable.

AIREAYE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2013, 01:09 PM
macgyverthatshiz

I literally just threw one in the trash that came with a used 4500 I picked up on Craigslist, crap. Sorry man, I would have given it to you.

macgyverthatshiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2013, 01:35 PM
Malarowski

Additional question on this, do I need a special helmet for this one, or would it fit on a Easton?

Basically, are cages standardized in how they attach?

Edit:

I looked around and found this for all those interested:

http://www.hockeymonkey.com/itech-ca...ity-chart.html

Looks mostly standardized size.

Last edited by Malarowski: 02-16-2013 at 01:59 PM.
Malarowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2013, 05:15 PM
AIREAYE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malarowski View Post
Additional question on this, do I need a special helmet for this one, or would it fit on a Easton?

Basically, are cages standardized in how they attach?

Edit:

I looked around and found this for all those interested:

http://www.hockeymonkey.com/itech-ca...ity-chart.html

Looks mostly standardized size.
Hmm, I believe different people in different positions will tell you different things. I'm sure some will tell you that the only cages compatible with certain helmets have to be of the same brand, while others might add on that certain cages are compatible with every helmet.

Cages are standardized in that the hardware is generally interchangeable, however fit may vary as certain cages might be a bit shorter/narrower etc. Remember that a cage is sized to one's face and not to the helmet size.

What Easton helmet do you have?

Obviously it would be best to install and try it on before buying.

Old
02-16-2013, 08:33 PM
Wilch
Unregistered User

Been using a Re-akt cage with my E700 helmet.

Closing and opening the cage feels a bit clunky, but it breaks in eventually. When it does, it's great.

Wilch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2013, 09:56 AM
Malarowski

Quote:
Originally Posted by AIREAYE View Post
Hmm, I believe different people in different positions will tell you different things. I'm sure some will tell you that the only cages compatible with certain helmets have to be of the same brand, while others might add on that certain cages are compatible with every helmet.

Cages are standardized in that the hardware is generally interchangeable, however fit may vary as certain cages might be a bit shorter/narrower etc. Remember that a cage is sized to one's face and not to the helmet size.

What Easton helmet do you have?

Obviously it would be best to install and try it on before buying.
I have an Easton Stealth S13. Funny enough it isn't on the chart at all, but the cage seems to fit all other Eastons above and below, so I figure it shouldn't be an issue. I have a HockeyMonkey 20 mins away though, so I'll just take it there and try it out. Don't expect major issues though.

Old
02-18-2013, 01:24 PM
ChiTownHawks
HFBoards Sponsor

I don't wear one but a couple guys on my team have before and the review each time seems to be that they are too heavy so guys just switch back to their cages.

Also I have a ReAkt cage on my Easton E400 and it does fit, but you kind of have to bend the cage a bit to get it right. In my experience Easton helmets are a little thinner/more low profile than Bauers so the fit is not exact, but it will work.

ChiTownHawks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 07:49 PM
AIREAYE

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiTownHawks View Post
Also I have a ReAkt cage on my Easton E400 and it does fit, but you kind of have to bend the cage a bit to get it right. In my experience Easton helmets are a little thinner/more low profile than Bauers so the fit is not exact, but it will work.
Thanks for raising that point, I wanted to say that due to the visor setup as the upper half of that 920 combo, it is naturally rigid. So if it fits a little too tightly on the temples, you're SOL. Another reason to try it on first.

Old
02-19-2013, 01:10 AM
Bengerm77

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiTownHawks View Post
I don't wear one but a couple guys on my team have before and the review each time seems to be that they are too heavy so guys just switch back to their cages.
I had the same problem so I stuck with a visor. The combo is super heavy, and since I have to look down a lot anyway (not a good stick handler) the cage part on the bottom obstructs visibility a bit.

Bengerm77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 09:20 AM
redbranch

there is also this style

I used one for a while, and didn't find it heavy at all. But it did add to the heat.
Make sure you buy anti fog spray, and be a bit more gentle with your helmet when tossing it in the bag. I put my helmet in a little bag to keep the visor from scratching

redbranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 11:44 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Check it out but save the tags and receipt.

I bought a fishbowl but it fogged up and made it hard to breathe and really was hot out on the ice. Exchanged it for a 9900 cage that was lighter, had thinner bars, and no fogging/heat issues.

Just my two cents...

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 07:59 PM
Malarowski

Fits fine, and I see what you mean with the weight. I noticed though that attaching the chin strap properly makes it a non issue mostly, very comfortable and the improved vision is awesome. I am yet to take it to the rink, hope the fogging won't be too bad. It seems to have vents in the right places though to dissipate heat well.

Problem with my old cage was that there was a horizontal bar right across my eyes essentially no matter what I did. That caused me to having to tilt my head down all the time like a bull about to charge something.

Old
10-11-2013, 09:23 AM
TLow97

I have this shield, and I'm wondering if it's possible to use Oakley anti-fog spray for a Bauer shield/visor without any adverse effects later.

TLow97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2013, 02:08 PM
Jackson12

dude, you live in ottawa... there are so many hockey stores here. google and a telephone are your friends.

Jackson12 is offline   Reply With Quote