HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > The AHL
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The AHL Discuss the American Hockey League; its players, teams, and games.

Bouwmeester tearing it up

Closed Thread

Old
03-19-2005, 09:17 PM
PanthersRule96

vCash: 500
Bouwmeester tearing it up

It seems as if Bouwmeester's problems were a result of being in San Antonio around players way below his skill level and playing for a stupid coach.

He already has 5 goals in 5.5 games (2 tonight, half way through the second). He had 4 all season in San Antonio and he's scoring a ton in Chicago.

Has anyone seen him play that could tell me how he's playing up in Chicago along with Weiss? He would be a valuable addition to team Canada seeing how he can elevate his game to fit in with those around him.

Old
03-19-2005, 09:31 PM
Jacob

Bouwmeester should be talented enough to produce on an AHL team that lacks overall talent no problem. I question his heart and his head.

Old
03-19-2005, 09:34 PM
Joe T Choker
Wookin' Pa Nub in...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacobv2
Bouwmeester should be talented enough to produce on an AHL team that lacks overall talent no problem. I question his heart and his head.
yup ... he needs to learn how to LEAD a TEAM instead of taking the easy way out

Old
03-19-2005, 09:36 PM
Jacob

He could have learned a ton by leading a crappy team with both effort and production, but he really didn't. He slacked off. Yet he still gets rewarded for it by an All-star appearance and a chance at the Calder Cup. He won't learn anything from that.

Old
03-19-2005, 10:03 PM
Vlad The Impaler

Quote:
He could have learned a ton by leading a crappy team with both effort and production, but he really didn't. He slacked off. Yet he still gets rewarded for it by an All-star appearance and a chance at the Calder Cup. He won't learn anything from that.
The all-star appearance is out of his or management's control. It's only a "reward" if one cares a lot about those things and he has never struck me at that kind of guy.

Otherwise, it's just a show for fans, where you get to entertain them a little. In other words, it's not anything to care about.

The chance at the Calder cup could be more of a problem, and was definitly under the control of Panthers management. Right now, it seems their gamble as paid off as Bouwmeester is doing better and this can only be good for his confidence level.

There might have been abyssmal coaching involved, or maybe he truly slacked off or maybe the truth is in between. Regardless, their decision was a lot less flattering for their own organization than for Bouwmeester as no matter how you cut it, the message they sent is that they couldn't develop him themselves this year and looking at how well he performs so far statistically for Chicago, it seems they were right.

The rest of the criticisms are fair but perhaps misguided. I'll take a player who can't elevate lower level teams but can do his job wonderfully well on top flight squads over dozens of juniors and AHLers who are extremely dynamic and leaders but can't do **** in the NHL.

To me, it boils down to Bouwmeester being a well known quantity and a very reliable elite talent. This is a guy who can barely shave and doesn't look out of place on team Canada. That's good enough for me. If he can learn to elevate his play, that's gravy. If not, that's really not the big deal people are making it out to be.

I could name players who do not elevate their games but are usually recognize as top 10 at their positions by virtually everybody but that would be sacrilegious. Suffice it to say one day, Bouwmeester will probably be in that category and no one will care whether he is the leader of his team or not if he is a great part of his team.

And that's if he doesn't figure out how to be a leader. I suppose he can greatly improve in that area.

The fact that so many guys in San Antonio have been disappointments should also definitly be a red flag right now. I find it impossible to believe this was just a huge bunch of players underachieving and had nothing to do with the coaching at all.

Anyway, I'm not sure this is seen in the proper perspective by everybody.

Finally, I've never envisioned Bouwmeester being an offense generator. I do think he has all the tools to support a great offense but he is predominantly a very solid two-way defenseman. If you want an offense dynamo, he's not your guy. However, he will rack up points playing on a good team. Once again, this is similar to many top flight Ds out there.

It would be a problem if Jay's role was mainly to generate offense but I do not see it that way.

Old
03-19-2005, 10:24 PM
fcbarcelona

Quote:
what are you talking about??? I've seen the guy play with the Rampage and even though he didn't get any points the night I saw him, he was clearly the best player on the team. Sure, he's a little suspect defenisively, but he controls the puck like no other d-man in the AHL can. He's always an offensive threat. Unfortunately, when you don't have any talented players to team up with, you're not gonna get your points.

Old
03-19-2005, 10:31 PM
Bulldog fan
Timmy Dogs Alum 1999

Bouwmeester scores 2 tonight but his team is losing 4-2. The other Wolves players better start playing up to Jason's level or he might just quit on them too.

Old
03-19-2005, 11:05 PM
bruins4777*

4-3, he added an assist with the extra attacker

Jay i think has finally found something to shoot for or something, i dunno but it seems like he's finally trying.

Old
03-20-2005, 01:53 AM
Pie Man
A-Pie

Quote:
Originally Posted by PanthersRule
It seems as if Bouwmeester's problems were a result of being in San Antonio around players way below his skill level and playing for a stupid coach.

He already has 5 goals in 5.5 games (2 tonight, half way through the second). He had 4 all season in San Antonio and he's scoring a ton in Chicago.

Has anyone seen him play that could tell me how he's playing up in Chicago along with Weiss? He would be a valuable addition to team Canada seeing how he can elevate his game to fit in with those around him.
PanthersRule, my beloved Olé supporter I was just gonna to do a J-Bo thread but I guess ya was quicker

Old
03-20-2005, 07:44 PM
MrMastodonFarm*

Quote:
Originally Posted by PanthersRule
You forgot downright sucking.

Sorry, but a large chunk of the blame goes to Jay himself

Old
03-20-2005, 07:47 PM
Joe T Choker
Wookin' Pa Nub in...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm
You forgot downright sucking.

Sorry, but a large chunk of the blame goes to Jay himself
and he gets rewarded for sucking by being loaned to a really good team and all of a sudden he wakes up

remember kids, if you are a good player on a bad team, you can always be traded/loaned to a better team no matter who you're under contract with

Old
03-20-2005, 07:49 PM
Jacob

Maybe he'll use that argument as a Panther.

Old
03-21-2005, 01:41 AM
Crossbar

Stats aside, I still question whether Bouwmeester even really wanted to be in the American Hockey League this season, considering what his fellow 2002 draft-mate Rick Nash is probably making in comparison playing over in the Swiss National League.

Old
03-21-2005, 11:26 PM
bruins4777*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crossbar
Stats aside, I still question whether Bouwmeester even really wanted to be in the American Hockey League this season, considering what his fellow 2002 draft-mate Rick Nash is probably making in comparison playing over in the Swiss National League.
not to mention nash gets to play with thornton, that must be hella fun.

I think bouw is making something like 90,000? as oppose to his 1.2 mil he normally makes.

Old
03-25-2005, 04:48 AM
Colt.45Orr

Quote:
I couldn't agree more. Always talented and capable... heart of a lion (that has been pampered and kept in a zoo it's whole life)...

Closed Thread