HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Rochester Amerks / Minors Thread '12-'13 Ed. II (Marlies win series 3-0)

Closed Thread

Old
03-27-2013, 08:09 PM
Rhett4
Buffalo Selects Jack

vCash: 500
The Amerks are playing awful hockey. Saying it's the worst anything is hyperbole, though. They're stilling hanging onto a lead...somehow. Everything settled with everyone now?

Old
03-27-2013, 08:11 PM
sabrefan27

Quote:
Originally Posted by jflory81 View Post
Is Leggio not part of the team?

Hey, one more "worst period ever" just like the 2nd and the Amerks can walk out with a win.
Ah nothing like someone who hasn't watched the game calling out someone who has. The beat writer and about 3000 others can vouch. But clearly you're an expert.

Old
03-27-2013, 08:13 PM
sabrefan27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhett4 View Post
The Amerks are playing awful hockey. Saying it's the worst anything is hyperbole,you've gh. They're stilling hanging onto a lead...somehow. Everything settled with everyone now?
I said the 2nd period was the worst I've ever seen a pro team play. Not the entire game. Can you honestly say you've seen worse? Not hyperbole at all. My god the shots are 35-8 with 8 minutes left. The Amerks buried their one chance and Leggio has stood on his head.

Old
03-27-2013, 08:15 PM
Rhett4
Buffalo Selects Jack

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabrefan27 View Post
I said the 2nd period was the worst I've ever seen a pro team play. Not the entire game. Can you honestly say you've seen worse? Not hyperbole at all. My god the shots are 35-8 with 8 minutes left. The Amerks buried their one chance and Leggio has stood on his head.
It was terrible, but I'm sure I've seen worse. I've watched a lot of hockey in my day. I'm just amazed they're somehow winning with 8 SOGs...that has to be some sort of record if they pull it off.

Old
03-27-2013, 08:17 PM
sabrefan27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhett4 View Post
It was terrible, but I'm sure I've seen worse. I've watched a lot of hockey in my day. I'm just amazed they're somehow winning with 8 SOGs...that has to be some sort of record if they pull it off.
Maybe you have. I've watched hockey for 20 years and I haven't. They had maybe 30 seconds possession time in the offensive zone.

Old
03-27-2013, 08:17 PM
jflory81
Garbo is coming

Send a message via AIM to jflory81
Quote:
I know the worst professional period I've ever seen played has included a number of defensive breakdowns that left the goaltender no chance to make a save.

A period that you enter up 1-0 and leave up 1-0 just does not qualify. It doesn't even meet the minimum requirements for consideration.

EDIT: You could maybe say it was the worst territorial period you've ever seen, or worst offensive period you've ever seen...but to only give up 13 SOG and no goals with the puck in their end all period says they're doing something right defensively in their own end.

Old
03-27-2013, 08:21 PM
sabrefan27

The entire period was a defensive breakdown. The Amerks managed to survive 2 posts and a goal review. Trust me, we were all amazed they didn't have 5 goals that period. I guess you had to watch it to believe it.

Old
03-27-2013, 08:26 PM
jflory81
Garbo is coming

Quote:
The entire period was a defensive breakdown. The Amerks managed to survive 2 posts and a goal review. Trust me, we were all amazed they didn't have 5 goals that period. I guess you had to watch it to believe it.
And you want people to take you seriously?

If the entire period was a defensive breakdown, Syracuse would have been worse than the Amerks not to score.

Old
03-27-2013, 08:33 PM
sabrefan27

Quote:
And you want people to take you seriously?

If the entire period was a defensive breakdown, Syracuse would have been worse than the Amerks not to score.
Listen I'm not in an argumentative mood. It was an incredible game for whatever it was. Leggio was unreal. It was the worst "team" effort I've ever seen in the 2nd. It's not a big deal if you agree or not. They won, that's what matters.

Old
03-27-2013, 08:38 PM
Rhett4
Buffalo Selects Jack

L-E-G-G-I-O! L-E-G-G-I-O! What an effort.

Old
03-27-2013, 08:40 PM
stokes84

Send a message via AIM to stokes84
Call up the man already! He deserves his shot.

Old
03-27-2013, 09:29 PM
sabrefan27

For the record...

@PSCrunchHockey: Jacques said in all his years pro he's never played on a team that dominated an opponent like that and lost

Old
03-27-2013, 09:41 PM
jflory81
Garbo is coming

Quote:
For the record...

@PSCrunchHockey: Jacques said in all his years pro he's never played on a team that dominated an opponent like that and lost
Cool. "and lost" are key words there.

It may very well have been the worst period played by a team that didn't get scored on. It could have been the worst game ever played by a team that won.

But in a results orientated buisness, calling a 0-0 period that resulted in the Amerks holding onto a 1-0 lead "the worst period you've ever seen from a professional team" is laughable, no matter what the aesthetics.

Old
03-27-2013, 09:50 PM
Moskau

vCash: 67
Quote:

It may very well have been the worst period played by a team that didn't get scored on. It could have been the worst game ever played by a team that won.

But in a results orientated buisness, calling a 0-0 period that resulted in the Amerks holding onto a 1-0 lead "the worst period you've ever seen from a professional team" is laughable, no matter what the aesthetics.
I'm not sure why you're being so abrasive and semantic over a team that you don't even watch.

Old
03-27-2013, 09:52 PM
sabrefan27

Quote:

I guess we're more disagreeing on what "worst" means. I don't think it has to result in giving up 5 goals in one period. So we'll never agree. My point was I had never seen one team dominate possession and create so many scoring chances in one period like that. They didn't score, which was incredible. Didn't take away their total domination.

Your argument, without seeing the period, is pretty pointless. Like someone looking at a boxscore and seeing a team get out shot and automatically thinking they were outplayed. There doesn't need to be a correlation. The team who got out shot may have had many several more prime scoring chances. This isn't about goals or shots, just the sheer domination they had which was almost unbelievable to watch.

Old
03-27-2013, 09:55 PM
French Connection

Quote:
Originally Posted by stokes84 View Post
Call up the man already! He deserves his shot.
Not with this sad sack of an organization. You witnessed a game for the ages which should have warranted a chance, but because he is penciled in as just a spare body he has no hope in hell. Pitiful to just let players rot.

Old
03-27-2013, 09:55 PM
sabrefan27

@kevinoDandC: #Amerk D Alex Biega after 1-0 win, despite seemingly spending entire game in own zone:"It felt like we were on the penalty kill all night."

Old
03-27-2013, 09:58 PM
sabrefan27

@MatthewWGR: 2nd was as bad as ive ever seen and have a team still be in a game

Old
03-27-2013, 10:01 PM
French Connection

How the hell can that be? Why would a coach hang a goalie out to dry and do zilch?

Old
03-27-2013, 10:05 PM
jflory81
Garbo is coming

Quote:
I guess we're more disagreeing on what "worst" means. I don't think it has to result in giving up 5 goals in one period. So we'll never agree. My point was I had never seen one team dominate possession and create so many scoring chances in one period like that. They didn't score, which was incredible. Didn't take away their total domination.

Your argument, without seeing the period, is pretty pointless. Like someone looking at a boxscore and seeing a team get out shot and automatically thinking they were outplayed. There doesn't need to be a correlation. The team who got out shot may have had many several more prime scoring chances. This isn't about goals or shots, just the sheer domination they had which was almost unbelievable to watch.
You could just admit you were being hyperbolic, but I guess that would be admitting you were wrong...

I've watched periods where the other team couldn't help but score. If it was truly the worst period ever, there would have been an unstoppable goal or two with guys wide open for tap-ins on wide open nets. A goaltender can only do too much. Clearly the rest of the guys, while territorially poor, did enough to prevent those.

Also, Leggio is part of the team. His play alone precludes it from being "the worst period ever from a team")

A 0-0 period will never, ever be the worst period I've seen a professional team play.

Old
03-27-2013, 10:05 PM
jflory81
Garbo is coming

Quote:
@MatthewWGR: 2nd was as bad as ive ever seen and have a team still be in a game
More key words.

Old
03-27-2013, 10:08 PM
sabrefan27

Quote:
More key words.
I read it. Doesn't mean I agree with everything he said. Thought I'd throw it out there though. But 2 players have essentially confirmed what I said.

Old
03-27-2013, 10:09 PM
Woodhouse
Global Moderator

vCash: 54
Puck possession in the second was totally dominated by SYR, but in the end it was more of the same "bend but don't break" RCH defense, among some sloppy decisions and SYR posts .. however, when I think of the absolute worst periods I've witnessed, typically the goal differential is at best -3 with egregious errors and lackadaisical play throughout .. in this case, it was a total absence of o-zone possession/time, coupled with a dominant opponent, but no GA to speak of, so in the scheme of things, it's not much to fuss about other than they have to be better going forward, as they can't expect to win more games playing like that.

Leggio shines as Amerks shutout Crunch, 1-0:
Quote:
The Rochester Americans may have been outshot 38-14 in the contest, but it was goaltender David Leggio’s brilliant 38-save performance that proved to be the deciding factor as the Amerks earned a gritty 1-0 win over the Eastern Conference leading Syracuse Crunch Wednesday night at The Blue Cross Arena.

Leggio was flawless, stopping all 38 shots, including 29 through the final two periods, en route to his league-leading 34th win of the season while matching a career-high with his fourth shutout of the campaign. The win also marked the first time this season the Amerks posted back-to-back shutouts after rookie goaltender Nathan Lieuwen pitched a 39-save effort in Rochester’s 3-0 whitewash of the San Antonio Rampage on Sunday.

Old
03-27-2013, 10:13 PM
sabrefan27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodhouse View Post
Puck possession in the second was totally dominated by SYR, but in the end it was more of the same "bend but don't break" RCH defense, among some sloppy decisions and SYR posts .. however, when I think of the absolute worst periods I've witnessed, typically the goal differential is at best -3 with egregious errors and lackadaisical play throughout .. in this case, it was a total absence of o-zone possession/time, coupled with a dominant opponent, but no GA to speak of, so in the scheme of things, it's not much to fuss about other than they have to be better going forward, as they can't expect to win more games playing like that.
]
I respect your well thought out post as someonewho actually watched the game. We may not agree, but I see where you're coming from. Arguing with someone who didn't watch is a waste of time and I'm not even going to bother anymore.

What I will say is there was plenty of lackadaisical play that period, which Cassidy confirmed in his post game interview .

Old
03-27-2013, 11:07 PM
jflory81
Garbo is coming

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabrefan27 View Post
I read it. Doesn't mean I agree with everything he said. Thought I'd throw it out there though. But 2 players have essentially confirmed what I said.
No, they haven't.

No one's arguing the Amerks played very poorly. Just your ridiculous hyperbole.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mosaku
I'm not sure why you're being so abrasive and semantic over a team that you don't even watch.
Who said I don't watch them?

Closed Thread