HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Rochester Amerks / Minors Thread '12-'13 Ed. II (Marlies win series 3-0)

Closed Thread

Old
03-28-2013, 11:19 AM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

vCash: 500
Awards:
Folks, stop with the personal stuff. Debate post point, not poster.

03-28-2013, 01:08 PM
Zip15

vCash: 67
Gotta ride this out and make the playoffs, and then wait for the reinforcements to come from Buffalo/juniors/abroad. It isn't unfeasible that the Amerks could dress an absolutely ridiculous playoff lineup.

Old
03-28-2013, 02:16 PM
vcv
Deal with it

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to vcv
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zip15 View Post
Gotta ride this out and make the playoffs, and then wait for the reinforcements to come from Buffalo/juniors/abroad. It isn't unfeasible that the Amerks could dress an absolutely ridiculous playoff lineup.
My understanding was that any players in the NHL have to be sent down before April 3rd (NHL Rule), which would mean Hodgson and Foligno probably won't be on the team. Possibly not Porter either.

Old
03-28-2013, 02:25 PM
jfb392

Quote:
Originally Posted by vcv View Post
My understanding was that any players in the NHL have to be sent down before April 3rd (NHL Rule), which would mean Hodgson and Foligno probably won't be on the team. Possibly not Porter either.
You can just send them down at the deadline and recall them.
It'd use two or three of the five non-emergency recalls allowed after the deadline, but that doesn't really matter for this team.

Old
03-28-2013, 02:33 PM
vcv
Deal with it

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfb392 View Post
You can just send them down at the deadline and recall them.
It'd use two or three of the five non-emergency recalls allowed after the deadline, but that doesn't really matter for this team.
Right, sorry. Only players recalled after the deadline can be sent down.

Do the Sabres use 4 of the 5 recalls on Hodgson, Foligno, Porter and Flynn? I'm guessing not all 4.

Old
03-28-2013, 02:52 PM
Zip15

Quote:
Originally Posted by vcv View Post
Right, sorry. Only players recalled after the deadline can be sent down.

Do the Sabres use 4 of the 5 recalls on Hodgson, Foligno, Porter and Flynn? I'm guessing not all 4.
I wouldn't have a problem with that. McNabb is out a minimum of four weeks, which takes us to the end of the Sabres' season, so they won't be recalling him. Also, they can make several recalls in the minutes preceding the deadline. Otherwise, we can keep doing emergency recalls. The Sabres only have two post-deadline road games, so it shouldn't be too difficult to get guys up from the Amerks quickly if need be.

Old
03-28-2013, 03:02 PM
Rammstein816

I'm thinking this could go one of two ways, either the Sabres could send everyone down and stack Rochester for the playoffs or they could give a lot of more fringe prospects a look. Crawford, Biega, Schiestel, etc. would be in that group likely since they have to make decisions on whether to keep these guys around. It also may open up slots down there for players coming in from college free agency or players like Jacobs and Alex Lepkowski that have upcoming decisions to be made.

Old
03-28-2013, 04:05 PM
SackTastic
Embrace The Suck

I am 90% sure the 4 recall rule went away with the clear day rule.

EDIT : Source : http://www.pennlive.com/sports/index...-gm_dou_1.html

Quote:
Another change is that NHL clubs no longer will be limited to four free recalls from the trade deadline to the end of the season. That limitation affected the Bears, who had to go without defenseman Sean Collins, on recall to the Washington Capitals, in their first-round playoff elimination by the Charlotte Checkers in 2010-11.

“It was a situation where Hershey was for that, because all your NHL clubs look at that,” Yingst said. “If you look at the past two years, things that have happened, where there has been a player recalled and they didn't want to send him down because then they'd have to use up two recalls on the same player [to send him back to the AHL and then bring him back up].”
With respect to the playoff roster, they have to set that by April 22nd, also in linked story, so they could hold out until the end and send people down for those last 2 games, as long as they had bodies to fill the spots.

Old
03-28-2013, 04:16 PM
jfb392

Quote:
Originally Posted by SackTastic View Post
I am 90% sure the 4 recall rule went away with the clear day rule.

EDIT : Source : http://www.pennlive.com/sports/index...-gm_dou_1.html

With respect to the playoff roster, they have to set that by April 22nd, also in linked story, so they could hold out until the end and send people down for those last 2 games, as long as they had bodies to fill the spots.
I was mistaken in thinking it was five, not four, but it's still in effect:
Quote:
The existing “Four Recall Rule” will continue to be applicable, but only during the period between the Trade Deadline and the end of the Regular Season. Following the conclusion of the NHL Regular Season, a Club may exercise an unlimited number of additional Regular Recalls provided that it may have no more than three (3) Players on its Active Roster who were recalled by way of Regular Recall after the Trade Deadline, unless the fourth Player had been recalled during the Regular Season in which case such Player may remain in the NHL.
http://cdn.agilitycms.com/nhlpacom/P...ms-1-10-13.pdf

Also, they cannot keep them until the 22nd and then send them down:
Quote:
And per National Hockey League rules, only those players who have been recalled from an AHL club following the NHL trade deadline (Wednesday, Apr. 3 at 3 p.m. ET) may be returned to the AHL during the remainder of the season.
http://theahl.com/ahl-weekly-release-p182341

Old
03-28-2013, 05:28 PM
French Connection

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rammstein816 View Post
I'm thinking this could go one of two ways, either the Sabres could send everyone down and stack Rochester for the playoffs or they could give a lot of more fringe prospects a look. Crawford, Biega, Schiestel, etc. would be in that group likely since they have to make decisions on whether to keep these guys around. It also may open up slots down there for players coming in from college free agency or players like Jacobs and Alex Lepkowski that have upcoming decisions to be made.
If they so called stack this team by sending everybody down, the Amerks are doomed and will suffer a very short play off run.

Old
03-28-2013, 06:06 PM
barcs

Quote:
Originally Posted by French Connection View Post
If they so called stack this team by sending everybody down, the Amerks are doomed and will suffer a very short play off run.
Yeah, nothing like NHL caliber players to make an injury riddled AHL team worse...

Old
03-28-2013, 06:45 PM
French Connection

Quote:
Originally Posted by barcs View Post
Yeah, nothing like NHL caliber players to make an injury riddled AHL team worse...
(Shakes Head) have you been watching the same Sabres team as I? ARE the players mentioned even NHL caliber?

Howevr I will agree that a couple of the called up regular Amerks forwards can help if they are returned sooner rather than later tho.

Old
03-28-2013, 07:08 PM
barcs

Quote:
(Shakes Head) have you been watching the same Sabres team as I? ARE the players mentioned even NHL caliber?

Howevr I will agree that a couple of the called up regular Amerks forwards can help if they are returned sooner rather than later tho.
You know Hodgson is nearly a PPG player in the NHL at the moment, right?

Old
03-28-2013, 07:36 PM
French Connection

Quote:
Originally Posted by barcs View Post
You know Hodgson is nearly a PPG player in the NHL at the moment, right?
...And just god awful on the other side of the puck, can not win a face off and is a terrible skater. Oh ya did I mention the Canucks moved him for a reason?

Old
03-28-2013, 07:50 PM
Dubi Doo

Quote:
...And just god awful on the other side of the puck, can not win a face off and is a terrible skater. Oh ya did I mention the Canucks moved him for a reason?

Old
03-28-2013, 07:56 PM
New Sabres Captain
ForFriendshipDikembe

Quote:
Because they had 2 centers ahead of Hodgson on the depth chart and wanted a (future) physical presence in their top 6?

Nobody is calling Hodgson good--or even tolerable--defensively. But remember how Vanek was when he broke in, and now while he's never going to be a Selke candidate, he's not a liability either. Defense is something that gets better over time (as long as the player in question puts in the effort).

2 years from now if Hodgson is still this bad, then we have a problem. But my guess is that he will show improvement between now and then. And we can afford to wait, we're not in "win now" mode yet. By the time we are ready to be contenders, Hodgson will be fine.

Old
03-28-2013, 09:28 PM
vcv
Deal with it

Quote:
Name a single player in the NHL that is a "3rd line player" and scores 70 points a year.

Hint: you can't. Hodgson is not a 3rd line player by any measure NOW not will he be in the future.

"3rd line player" was a terrible choice of labels and you know it.

Old
03-28-2013, 09:54 PM
Connor McDavid
Generational Poster

Cody's defensive woes would be well hidden by AHL talent :v

Old
03-29-2013, 06:52 AM
barcs

Quote:
Just so I can gauge where you're really at: Which player would help a hockey team more, Cody Hodgson or Colin Jacobs?

Old
03-29-2013, 07:44 AM
sabrefan27

Quote:
I'd have to look at the schedule, but I think the Sabres have 2 games after the Amerks season ends, so that could be a big issue. It's a 5 game series in the first round, and if they go down quick with their depleted roster, it could be all but over before they get reinforcements. But we don't know what the playoff scheduling could be and it also depends on building availability.

Old
03-29-2013, 07:58 AM
UncleBenny

Sabres do have two games after the Amerks' season ends, one on Monday the 22nd and then they don't play again until Friday the 26th. It's likely the Amerks' playoffs start in the middle of that week some time. Last year, Buffalo sent down Tropp and Foligno prior to their final game since they were already out, I see no reason why the same can't happen this year if Buffalo is healthy enough to have a couple extra bodies around.

Old
03-29-2013, 08:03 AM
Zip15

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabrefan27 View Post
I'd have to look at the schedule, but I think the Sabres have 2 games after the Amerks season ends, so that could be a big issue. It's a 5 game series in the first round, and if they go down quick with their depleted roster, it could be all but over before they get reinforcements. But we don't know what the playoff scheduling could be and it also depends on building availability.
Yep. I made this same comment on March 11.

Quote:
They'll probably make the playoffs as a 6- or 7-seed and be summarily dismissed by Grand Rapids or the Marlies. The Amerks' season ends on Sunday, April 21, and knowing the Sabres, they'll probably have already called up McNabb, as well as another player or two, to fill the roster spots of the traded impending UFAs. The Sabres will then keep those players up through Buffalo's final game on Friday, April 26, just long enough to allow the Amerks to play themselves into an 0-2 series hole before they send back the cavalry--Porter, Flynn, McNabb, Foligno, and possibly even Hodgson and Grigorenko--but it'll be too late by then.
It'd be so very typical.

Old
03-29-2013, 08:10 AM
sabrefan27

Yeah it would be a shame, but absolutely typical of Darcy and the way he operates.

Old
03-29-2013, 10:35 AM
sabrefan27

Rob Sanderson is claiming Corey Tropp is playing tonight. If so, A) that's awesome. B) that's an insane recovery.

Old
03-29-2013, 10:46 AM
stokes84

Send a message via AIM to stokes84
Quote:
Originally Posted by sabrefan27 View Post
Rob Sanderson is claiming Corey Tropp is playing tonight. If so, A) that's awesome. B) that's an insane recovery.
Good for him if true.

Closed Thread