HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Rochester Amerks / Minors Thread '12-'13 Ed. II (Marlies win series 3-0)

Closed Thread

Old
03-24-2013, 12:40 PM
LaxSabre

vCash: 119
Kevin Oklobzija ‏@kevinoDandC - #Amerks complete 4-game trip to Okla. and Texas with 5:00 pm ET game in San Antonio against the Rampage.

Kevin Oklobzija ‏@kevinoDandC - #Amerks injury update - 4 players lost to injury on this road trip: D Brayden McNabb (lower body), D Matt MacKenzie (lower) - C Phil Varone (upper) and C Shawn Szydlowski (upper). Plus RW Evan Rankin, LW Kevin Sundher still hurt. Varone will be out long-term. 3-4 weeks. McNabb, Szydlowski, MacKenzie all day-to-day, per coach CC.

Kevin Oklobzija ‏@kevinoDandC - #Amerks played with 5 D-men and just 16 skaters after Brayden McNabb was hurt on his 2nd or 3rd shift on Saturday at Houston. Corey Fienhage's arrival from Gwinnett will give #Amerks 6 D-men in San Antonio today. They're hoping Jacob Lagace's flight(s) are on time.

Kevin Oklobzija ‏@kevinoDandC - This is the time AHL vet rule defies common sense. #Amerks short players but Patrick Rissmiller still sat out because they had 5 other vets. Of course, AHL vet rule has been in existence for eons. Every team understands, most like the rule. Just that odd time now for #Amerks.

Kevin Oklobzija ‏@kevinoDandC - Oh, and there's a good chance Nathan Lieuwen starts in goal for #Amerks. David Leggio needs a break (6 games in 11 days, lots of travel).

Last edited by LaxSabre: 03-24-2013 at 12:49 PM.
Old
03-24-2013, 02:00 PM
Jacob582

vCash: 500
Any highlights from last night's game?

Old
03-24-2013, 02:02 PM
Jacob582

Brian Flynn: 11 NHL games played
Colin Jacobs: 2 AHL games played

Observation/question:

So how come Jacobs' picture is on his bio page (AHL.com), but Brian Fynn's picture is not on NHL.com?

Last edited by Jacob582: 03-24-2013 at 02:54 PM.
Old
03-24-2013, 05:16 PM
LaxSabre

vCash: 119
Amerks lead 2-0 after the first period on goals by Legault (assists from Tarnasky and Adam - 15:18) and Ellis (lone assist from McCormick - 19:13) Amerks have 11 shots on goal on Rampage goalie - Grumet-Morris while Amerks goalie Lieuwen has stopped all 10 Rampage shots.

Kevin Oklobzija ‏@kevinoDandC - Jacob Lagace didn't arrive in San Antonio in time for #Amerks game.
Is listed in online gamesheet. Maybe on game lineup in case he arrives?

Kevin Oklobzija ‏@kevinoDandC - 9:01 into 2nd period, #Amerks still lead #Rampage 2-0.
#ROC G Nathan Lieuwen, making 3rd start, has stopped 15 shots.

Kevin Oklobzija ‏@kevinoDandC - The #Amerks extend lead to 3-0 at 11:16 of 2nd period. Nick Tarnasky yet another goal. No. 15, a career high. (LaxSabre: The assists on what was a power-play goal - Adam and Pardy)

Kevin Oklobzija ‏@kevinoDandC - #Amerks rookie G Nathan Lieuwen, making his 3rd AHL start, has stopped the 21 shots he has faced.
#ROC up 3-0 in San Antonio after 2. (LaxSabre: Amerks have 17 shots - 3 goals - on Rampage goalie - Dov Grumet-Morris.)

Kevin Oklobzija @kevinoDandC - With a 3-0 lead and playing 3rd game in 3rd different Texas city in 3 nights, #Amerks are in slow-it-down, be-boring mode. Under 9 left.

Kevin Oklobzija @kevinoDandC - Nathan Lieuwen gets his first AHL victory - a shutout no less - as the #Amerks win 3-0 at San Antonio.

Kevin Oklobzija @kevinoDandC - The last goalie with a shutout as his first #Amerks victory:
Mike Brodeur on Dec. 7, 2008, over Albany.

Kevin Oklobzija @kevinoDandC - I think this also true: last #Amerks goalie to make his first AHL victory a shutout:
Mika Noronen, Oct. 13, 1999, at Albany. #84percentsure

Kevin Oklobzija @kevinoDandC - #Amerks win 3-0 in San Antonio though oushot 39-25.
The Rampage had 18 shots in 3rd period so rookie G Nathan Lieuwen earned his shutout.

LaxSabre: Congrats to Nathan on his first AHL win/Amerks win with a shutout even!

Last edited by LaxSabre: 03-25-2013 at 12:31 AM.
Old
03-24-2013, 07:10 PM
Woodhouse
Mod Supervisor
HFBoards

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacob582 View Post
Any highlights from last night's game?
None on YouTube from either team, so go to: ahllive.com > Free Highlights > Rochester vs.Houston 3/23.

Old
03-24-2013, 08:07 PM
Woodhouse
Mod Supervisor
HFBoards

Amerks end road trip with 3-0 win over Rampage:
Quote:
Rookie goaltender Nathan Lieuwen stopped all 39 shots he faced to earn his first American Hockey League win and Maxime Legault scored what proved to be the game-winner as the Rochester Americans completed their season-long five-game road swing with a 3-0 victory over the San Antonio Rampage Sunday at the AT&T Center. The win also snaps a six-game winless streak against the Rampage as the Amerks finish their road trip with a 3-2-0-0 record and improve to 35-25-3-1 overall on the season.

Legault, along with veteran forwards Matt Ellis and Nick Tarnasky each scored for the Amerks, who have now won three of their last four games to move within one point of Houston for fifth place in the Western Conference standings. Tarnasky also added an assist for a two-point game while Luke Adam also notched a pair of assists in the win. Lieuwen, who was making just his third start of the season, was brilliant between the pipes for Rochester, especially in the third period when he steered aside all 18 San Antonio shots, including several from close range.

Old
03-24-2013, 09:53 PM
sabresfan129103
So it begins...

Damn, a 39 save shutout for Lieuwen. Good for him.

Old
03-25-2013, 07:58 AM
UncleBenny

Agreed, we need a legitimate backup goalie so we don't have to ride Leggio into the ground just to make the playoffs.

Old
03-25-2013, 09:51 AM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Is Lieuwen progressing or is that a blind-squirrel-finding-a-nut sort of game?

03-26-2013, 09:32 AM
vcv
Deal with it

Send a message via AIM to vcv
Amerks signed Nick Bailen to an ATO

Old
03-26-2013, 09:44 AM
sabrefan27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainshot View Post
Is Lieuwen progressing or is that a blind-squirrel-finding-a-nut sort of game?
Probably a little of both. I do think he's better than Knapp, who mostly looked clueless.

Anyone know anything about Bailen?

Old
03-26-2013, 10:09 AM
Jacob582

Never heard of Bailen.

At the beginning of the season, I never would have thought the org would have added more depth at defense.

But with the loss of Finley and Brennan, current injuries to Sulzer, McN, MaC, the depth has been tested.

Old
03-26-2013, 10:24 AM
whenIlostmybet

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabrefan27 View Post
Probably a little of both. I do think he's better than Knapp, who mostly looked clueless.

Best player for the last couple years at RPI, though that's not saying a ton. Really good offensively, big dangerous shot, can skate well. Not overly impressive in his own zone, but his skating generally leaves him in decent enough position.

Old
03-26-2013, 10:29 AM
sabrefan27

So a smaller version of Brennan or JGL. Great. Not exactly what they need, but we'll see what he can do.

Old
03-26-2013, 10:34 AM
Jacob582

More like a version of Biega.

Old
03-26-2013, 10:36 AM
Buffaloed
Administrator
Webmaster

vCash: 2635
Quote:

He gives good interviews.

Quote:
Q: Favorite NHL team?

A: Sabres, unfortunately.

Q: Bills fan, too?

A: Yeah, that is another very unfortunate fan base in Buffalo. We are loyal, but the patience is wearing thin, for sure. When I was younger, I would go to one or two games. Buffalo is like 40 minutes from our house. They are pretty tough to watch. I don't even watch them on TV anymore, they've been so bad.
A conversation with ... RPI hockey player Nick Bailen

Old
03-26-2013, 10:37 AM
sabrefan27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacob582 View Post
More like a version of Biega.
Biega is good defensively, though. Maybe he'll adjust quick due to his age. But Amerks don't need another defensive liability. They already have to play JGL.

Old
03-26-2013, 11:26 AM
whenIlostmybet

Bailen is not as good as Biega in his own zone, he just doesn't have that kind of awareness.

Old
03-26-2013, 12:38 PM
sabrefan27

Varone out 3-4 weeks. McNabb on crutches. Pysyk, Flynn and Porter called up. Rankin and Sundher hurt. Yet, no help from the Sabres at all. It's a miracle the team is holding it together, let alone winning some games.

These are the times when a parent club has to step up and offer some help. But as usual it's nowhere in sight. People will write off this post as me whining again (hint: I don't care) but it would be nice for Darcy to awake from the slumber and help a team literally limping to the playoffs.

Old
03-26-2013, 01:02 PM
Woodhouse
Mod Supervisor
HFBoards

Bailen wasn't the PP1 QB / point man per se .. in what I saw, he played a bit lower in the left circle typically .. RHD, small (5'9") and local (Fredonia, NY) .. good offensively, shot and skating .. though I did not see RPI enough this year to speak on any improvements in his defensive game .. read tagged articles at: http://www.rpihockey.net/roster/articles.php?id=bailen

Edit: Here's what his coach had to say about him after they were eliminated by Brown; he missed the elimination game with a leg injury:
Quote:
"Nick Bailen's going to go down as one of the greatest defensemen who ever played here," Appert said. "He's our best player. We missed him, but those things happen. I thought our guys played valiantly. I thought Phil Hampton played really well. We missed (Bailen's) quality, but we also missed his quantity."

Link: http://www.timesunion.com/sports/art...on-4362215.php

Old
03-26-2013, 01:39 PM
cybresabre
Mad Magazine Scoutin

vCash: 751
Send a message via ICQ to cybresabre
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodhouse View Post
local (Fredonia, NY)
Awesome!

Old
03-26-2013, 02:08 PM
AmerksPuck

Quote:
Varone out 3-4 weeks. McNabb on crutches. Pysyk, Flynn and Porter called up. Rankin and Sundher hurt. Yet, no help from the Sabres at all. It's a miracle the team is holding it together, let alone winning some games.

These are the times when a parent club has to step up and offer some help. But as usual it's nowhere in sight. People will write off this post as me whining again (hint: I don't care) but it would be nice for Darcy to awake from the slumber and help a team literally limping to the playoffs.
you left out additions of Rismiller (yes I know he hasn't been playing because of the vet rule), Ellis, McCormick, Pardy, Jacobs.

What do you want the Sabres to do? Send Pysyk back? Not sure what else they can do besides that. Once half these guys are back healthy , not to mention the Sabres season presumably ending and getting the other eligble guys back, there will a huge logjam in the AHL. Throw Grigorenko and possibly Armia in there too.

Old
03-26-2013, 02:17 PM
Jacob582

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmerksPuck View Post
you left out additions of Rismiller (yes I know he hasn't been playing because of the vet rule), Ellis, McCormick, Pardy, Jacobs.

What do you want the Sabres to do? Send Pysyk back? Not sure what else they can do besides that. Once half these guys are back healthy , not to mention the Sabres season presumably ending and getting the other eligble guys back, there will a huge logjam in the AHL. Throw Grigorenko and possibly Armia in there too.
Sign more vets!! .........oh wait

Old
03-26-2013, 02:30 PM
sabrefan27

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmerksPuck View Post

There's many moves at a GM's disposal. I'm not talking vets or all stars here. Just a capable player or two. As it is, they'll have to play a defenseman at forward tomorrow. The ridiculous veteran rule certainly doesn't help. Don't get me started at how dumb that is. There needs to be a limit, but not 5. Rissmiller just sitting in the press box while the team is short just proves how idiotic it is.

Old
03-26-2013, 07:56 PM
SabresFan26

I have seen a handful of RPI games and Bailen was their best players most nights. Looks smaller than he is listed. He real good skater, good vision, can run a PP. Will see how he deals with bigger, faster forecheckers. Good depth guy to have for the Amerks.

Closed Thread