HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Notices

Matt Martin **Awarded Bobby Nystrom Award**

Old
02-16-2013, 03:48 PM
LostInAwe

vCash: 500
Matt Martin **Awarded Bobby Nystrom Award**

Hey everyone, I'm not an Islanders fan (doesn't mean I hate them, just I don't follow him) but what is up with Matt Martin? By his stats he looks like he is still playing well but is extremely snakebitten on the scoresheet. If anyone could let me know that would be great!

Last edited by Isles Junkie: 03-05-2013 at 09:09 PM.
LostInAwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2013, 03:53 PM
Renbarg

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostInAwe View Post
Hey everyone, I'm not an Islanders fan (doesn't mean I hate them, just I don't follow him) but what is up with Matt Martin? By his stats he looks like he is still playing well but is extremely snakebitten on the scoresheet. If anyone could let me know that would be great!
He's a key penalty killer. And he plays in a 3rd/4th line role (they kinda fluctuate as to who gets more ice time based on play), with an odd shift on different line here and there.

He's playing Martin hockey, throwing the body around, beastly forechecking, and tirelessly outworking the opposition.

He can score goals but he doesn't have a great shot (but does have good hands). I could see him scoring 15ish in a second line role.

Last edited by Renbarg: 02-16-2013 at 04:01 PM.
Renbarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2013, 04:03 PM
camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostInAwe View Post
Martin is quite a player tough as nails, great PK'er. Kid has had to play with multiple diff. players constantly and has not been given the ice time he deserves. His offensive side always pokes out but since he is on the 4th line he has a role to do. Theres no better checker in the nhl , other teams make sure they know when he is on the ice. When he steps on the ice everyone yells here comes the boom at our watering hole. He also has to play multiple wings since due to the constant changing of the 4th line. Marts is a perfect add of guts and glory for any team, I bet you see him gobbled up once he reaches free agency, i see him in a leafs,Philly,Boston, Ranger uniform. Many a game you can tune in to watch matt fighting off 3 of the opposition while still having the puck. I understand he loves LongIsland but I am betting his agent tells him where to go.

May I add..Matt Martin has always answered the bell for a mate that was not up to it..often fighting larger, more experienced goonish types yet never showing any fear. Matt also has a reputation as thunderous checker yet clean...Kid has a code.

Last edited by camper: 02-16-2013 at 04:22 PM.
camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2013, 04:14 PM
MattMartin
KillerInstinct™

Send a message via MSN to MattMartin
He is a fan favorite type of player who leaves it on the ice much like Steve Webb but he is a much better player all around. I would love to see the Islanders try to use him as they did with Clarkson in Jersey but he is so valuable on PK and igniting the team that he must stay on that 4th line for now. Stats do not always show the whole picture as we all know and if you watched the Islanders vs Rags the other night JT played great and was on the score sheet where as MM was held off but in my eyes was the best player on the ice that night and played a complete game where as most of the team took the 1st 18 minutes off in the 1st period.

02-16-2013, 04:25 PM
camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattMartin View Post
He is a fan favorite type of player who leaves it on the ice much like Steve Webb but he is a much better player all around. I would love to see the Islanders try to use him as they did with Clarkson in Jersey but he is so valuable on PK and igniting the team that he must stay on that 4th line for now. Stats do not always show the whole picture as we all know and if you watched the Islanders vs Rags the other night JT played great and was on the score sheet where as MM was held off but in my eyes was the best player on the ice that night and played a complete game where as most of the team took the 1st 18 minutes off in the 1st period.

Best thing that happened to Clarkson was De Boer, he coached him in jr. Matt is a larger tougher more skilled version. But is being used like Clarkson was early in his career. Stamkos was much like JT would not stick up for himself or fight...when he played with Martin he got tougher and would even drop the gloves periodically, thats what happens when you play with Martin.

Last edited by camper: 02-16-2013 at 04:31 PM.
Old
02-16-2013, 04:39 PM
IslesBeBack*
NHL Free Agent

Not being developed properly but ill be lambasted for saying it.

IslesBeBack* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2013, 04:43 PM
DarkHorse
Go Banana!

I would install Martin on JT's wing and see what happens. Size to open space, toughness to sheriff for JT and hands to put home open pucks. Tell him, you go to the net. Stop. Then watch MM and JT throw pucks past the screened goalie. Anyone tries to touch JT...he gets Martinized.

DarkHorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2013, 04:55 PM
MattMartin
KillerInstinct™

Send a message via MSN to MattMartin
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkHorse View Post
I would install Martin on JT's wing and see what happens. Size to open space, toughness to sheriff for JT and hands to put home open pucks. Tell him, you go to the net. Stop. Then watch MM and JT throw pucks past the screened goalie. Anyone tries to touch JT...he gets Martinized.
When i did my 1st line poll i said JT Boyes Martin for the same reasons you had plus i think Moulson could actually play with other guys who get pucks to the net and balance our scoring a little better. I know it sounds a little nutty but i think Moulson can be just as good as long as his line mates can get shots to the net because obviously that's his forte so i don't see you needing him with dynamic players just guys who shoot the puck. Nielsen and Grabner would not be a good fit for him but i think Ullstrom and Bailey would.
Moulson should stay on the 1st pp unit without question but like in 2001/2002 Parrish was one our best scores but he was playing on the 2nd line with Peca and Bates and he still was effective.

MattMartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2013, 10:24 AM
A Pointed Stick
Spend? Of Course!

Another good game from Marts. Squish them, anger them, then backskate as they take a penalty & smiling all the way.

I'd like to see some more points though. Looks like he was close to a breakaway several games now. Needs to keep working on his starts.

A Pointed Stick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2013, 10:53 AM
IslandersFan17

Quote:
Originally Posted by IslesBeBack View Post
Not being developed properly but ill be lambasted for saying it.
I'm not going to jump down your throat but in what way would Martin need to be developed? What have the Islanders done wrong with MM?

IslandersFan17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2013, 10:53 AM
BROOKLYnKNIGHTS

Us fans love Matt Martin. These are the type of role players you need on the team. Great hands and a good skater for sure but he does so much more. The scoresheet cant equate his value and he isnt really paid to score goals.

BROOKLYnKNIGHTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2013, 10:58 AM
SLAPSHOT723
Big Brock

The three players considered untouchable on the Islanders are Tavares, Hamonic, and Matt Martin. That's how much he means to us.

SLAPSHOT723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2013, 11:49 AM
iLandHer

He's never been a scorer, but he has some flashes of offensive capability.

I don't buy into him having great hands. His hands are decent, but nothing spectacular in my opinion. He brings the physical play and helps set the tempo, can also fight and just wear the opposition out in the corners. It's an added bonus that he PK's so freaking well.

He's a great player to have, but I don't think he will ever be able to be a legitimate scoring threat. I've seen him miss a lot of chances that a true scorer wouldn't.

iLandHer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2013, 11:59 AM
redbull
Expect more

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLAPSHOT723 View Post
The three players considered untouchable on the Islanders are Tavares, Hamonic, and Matt Martin. That's how much he means to us.
Well put.

Cizikas will soon be on this list. And I wouldn't deal AMac or Bailey or Nielsen either. Very versatile players who can play in any situation.

redbull is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2013, 12:07 PM
IslesBeBack*
NHL Free Agent

Quote:
Originally Posted by IslandersFan17 View Post
I'm not going to jump down your throat but in what way would Martin need to be developed? What have the Islanders done wrong with MM?
Hes not a third or fourth line player, and just because hes the only player who plays the body he plays with grinders. He should be on the first line creating tons of open space for JT. Not only that, he has the skills to keep up with moulson and tavares so why is he not there?

It looks ok now because were winning again but during that five game losing streak he should have had at least a couple games with the big boys.

That or were just wasting his potential. Hes going to develope into a checking line player and hes soooo much more than that.

IslesBeBack* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2013, 12:09 PM
JetsMetsIsles

People wanting to Martin on our first line are crazy. The guy is not a finisher but is all intangibles. I love him on our 4th line with McDonald and Cizikas. A hard working physical line that can score occasionally and won't give up many goals. He's also a beast PKer. He's got 0 creativity creating offense but has decent hands in front of the net. Very inaccurate shot. 3rd or 4th line winger. If Matt Martin is on your first line you are a lottery team.

JetsMetsIsles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2013, 12:17 PM
OlTimeHockey

Martin CAN play first line in a tough game. The guy passes well and is defensively responsible and skates well.

The issue is his scoring. Boyes is better. But in a tough game where JT needs protection.....smart coaching.

I'd like to see Matt get chances on line 2 and develop his scoring. Rick Tocchet was a goon and eventually wound up becoming an all star, but the Tocchet early on was a long haired Philly *rick!

Matt is smart and skates and passes well and knows his position. That doesn't make him a line 1 guy, but hey? Okposo plays on line 1 now and then!

OlTimeHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2013, 12:36 PM
DarkHorse
Go Banana!

If Gretzky could have Semenko in the go-go '80s, JT can have Martin today.

DarkHorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2013, 12:57 PM
iLandHer

Quote:
Hes not a third or fourth line player, and just because hes the only player who plays the body he plays with grinders. He should be on the first line creating tons of open space for JT. Not only that, he has the skills to keep up with moulson and tavares so why is he not there?

It looks ok now because were winning again but during that five game losing streak he should have had at least a couple games with the big boys.

That or were just wasting his potential. Hes going to develope into a checking line player and hes soooo much more than that.
He really doesn't. His hands are decent, his passing is okay, but he has no moves and can't finish, so what exactly is he going to do on the top line other than dig in the corner? You take away another potential scoring threat in Boyes and add in Martin who can't hit the net with any consistency.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetsMetsIsles View Post
People wanting to Martin on our first line are crazy. The guy is not a finisher but is all intangibles. I love him on our 4th line with McDonald and Cizikas. A hard working physical line that can score occasionally and won't give up many goals. He's also a beast PKer. He's got 0 creativity creating offense but has decent hands in front of the net. Very inaccurate shot. 3rd or 4th line winger. If Matt Martin is on your first line you are a lottery team.
I agree with this 100%.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OlTimeHockey View Post
Martin CAN play first line in a tough game. The guy passes well and is defensively responsible and skates well.

The issue is his scoring. Boyes is better. But in a tough game where JT needs protection.....smart coaching.
He doesn't need protection and if he does, Martin will take care of it later on. How many times have you watched a game and said, 'Wow, JT really is getting hit dirty'? Not many.

Quote:
I'd like to see Matt get chances on line 2 and develop his scoring. Rick Tocchet was a goon and eventually wound up becoming an all star, but the Tocchet early on was a long haired Philly *rick!
This is part of the problem I think, he's not a scorer so there isn't anything to develop. You don't develop these instincts when you're at his age/level, you either are a scorer or you aren't. He doesn't even show flashes of being a legitimate scorer.

Quote:
Matt is smart and skates and passes well and knows his position. That doesn't make him a line 1 guy, but hey?
That's a great point.

iLandHer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2013, 03:10 PM
IslesFanatic
**** you SnoWang

Quote:

Still a fee agent? Noone has picked you up yet?

IslesFanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 02:24 PM
camper

Kid Martin eats shoe leather and raw pasta as a gamer meal.......no marshmellows for this kid

Old
02-20-2013, 07:50 AM
camper

http://www.msg.com/content/msgsite/e...deo.2336659087

Nice vid.....Marts at age 2-3 with a shiner..>Some 10yr old trash talkin his sister....your born with the code

Old
02-20-2013, 07:45 PM
camper

http://www.lighthousehockey.com/2013...t-martin-stone

Flash forward to present day…

”Marty [client Matt Martin of the New York Islanders] is made out of stone. I couldn’t over train that guy if I tried. The guy is a genetic freak. I wish I could say everything I have done is why he is 220 pounds and in incredible shape.

http://1.cdn.nhle.com/canucks/images...3_kass3_rr.jpg

Last edited by camper: 02-21-2013 at 05:03 AM.
Old
02-24-2013, 10:44 AM
camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by OlTimeHockey View Post

Matt is smart and skates and passes well and knows his position. That doesn't make him a line 1 guy, but hey? Okposo plays on line 1 now and then!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iPIKicnpr2I

Here's a reminder what happened when you messed with Stamkos back in the day....Stamkos by the way was never in a fight in his life...after playing with marts he got in 4 fisticuffs....This is what Jt needs...it will make him tougher.

Last edited by Homeland Security: 02-24-2013 at 11:54 AM. Reason: Embed YT
Old
02-24-2013, 11:04 AM
Isles Enforcer

Send a message via AIM to Isles Enforcer Send a message via Yahoo to Isles Enforcer
Quote:
Originally Posted by camper View Post
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iPIKicnpr2I

Here's a reminder what happened when you messed with Stamkos back in the day....Stamkos by the way was never in a fight in his life...after playing with marts he got in 4 fisticuffs....This is what Jt needs...it will make him tougher.
Stamkos got into 2 fights while playing in Sarnia, including one in the all star game. This clip is more Ryan Wilson defensing Stamkos than Martin. Martin went after Harry Young because they have had a feud their entire OHL careers. Look it up.

And no I'm not nitpicking you, just providing some facts.

Isles Enforcer is offline   Reply With Quote