Notices

Possible Trade Ideas v.7

Closed Thread

Old
03-26-2013, 01:39 PM
DeuceMN
Really?

vCash: 50
While Falk makes a fair amount of mistakes, and is not as consistent as he needs to be yet, he has shown improvement. Currently he's a decent bottom pairing d-man. Maybe he can grow some more to work his way into the second pairing d, but the jury is still out on that.

I wouldn't mind seeing what we have in Clark. It sounds like a few teams were going after him, and we won. He can't be that bad.

For next year, we currently do not have a good #4 d. Gilbert should do well as our third. He's been a little sketchy lately, but I still believe he'll turn it around.

There is no one from within that is good enough to be a true #4 d on a good team. If we want to become a stronger team, I think we need to go outside and trade for, or sign an UFA to fit that role. We don't need anymore of this shifting around bottom pairing d into that second pairing role.

Old
03-26-2013, 01:54 PM
Puhis
@Puhis46

Send a message via MSN to Puhis Send a message via Skype™ to Puhis
Falk is actually decent when he chips in offensively. He has a decent shot and as others mentioned, he is surprisingly fast when he wants to be.

03-26-2013, 02:01 PM
nickschultzfan

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeuceMN View Post
While Falk makes a fair amount of mistakes, and is not as consistent as he needs to be yet, he has shown improvement. Currently he's a decent bottom pairing d-man. Maybe he can grow some more to work his way into the second pairing d, but the jury is still out on that.

I wouldn't mind seeing what we have in Clark. It sounds like a few teams were going after him, and we won. He can't be that bad.

For next year, we currently do not have a good #4 d. Gilbert should do well as our third. He's been a little sketchy lately, but I still believe he'll turn it around.

There is no one from within that is good enough to be a true #4 d on a good team. If we want to become a stronger team, I think we need to go outside and trade for, or sign an UFA to fit that role. We don't need anymore of this shifting around bottom pairing d into that second pairing role.
Dude, Clark is terrible. Falk is so much better.

Old
03-26-2013, 02:05 PM
DeuceMN
Really?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickschultzfan View Post
Maybe. I still haven't seen him play this year, and from what I've read, he's had a good year in the AHL.

Falk currently is no better than a bottom pairing d. He never has been. Maybe he can get there, but he still has a ways to go.

Imo, we still need to acquire a true second pairing d.

Old
03-26-2013, 04:27 PM
Sharppi
Nothing to see here

Who would pair well from the eastern conference? Who would work well with Gilbert? Who would be available and under a somewhat reasonable contract? Who is actually willing to trade Dmen? Buffalo? Tampa Bay? Florida?

Should think about western conference options too? Who are the teams here who might be possibly trading their extra/nonfitting/nonwanted Dmen away? Columbus maybe? Calgary?

Old
03-26-2013, 04:58 PM
Dr Jan Itor

I don't watch Philly all that much, but I wonder about the availability and/or cost of Coburn.

28 years old and will make $4.5m for the next 3 years. Probably would take more than what we would like to get him, if he's even available, but I see him as the ideal partner for Dumba on the 2nd pairing (eventually).

Old
03-26-2013, 05:11 PM
Killerjug

not sure what Giodarno's cap hit is but feel he would fit well with gilbert

Old
03-26-2013, 05:11 PM
J22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharppi View Post
Who would pair well from the eastern conference? Who would work well with Gilbert? Who would be available and under a somewhat reasonable contract? Who is actually willing to trade Dmen? Buffalo? Tampa Bay? Florida?

Should think about western conference options too? Who are the teams here who might be possibly trading their extra/nonfitting/nonwanted Dmen away? Columbus maybe? Calgary?
Giordano is the one name that I can think of that might be both- worth going after/actually available.

there are a few rentals out there that might be worth it if the price is right. Hainsey/Leopold
Cant say that I have seen all that much of either of them this year TBH

Old
03-26-2013, 05:26 PM
Dr Jan Itor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killerjug View Post
not sure what Giodarno's cap hit is but feel he would fit well with gilbert
$4.02m per year through 2015-16. His numbers have looked good in the past, but I can't really speak to his defensive play.

Old
03-26-2013, 06:21 PM
Teddy10Beers

Quote:
Does Chuck Fletcher know this?

Old
03-26-2013, 06:25 PM
Minnesota
L'Étoile du Nord

I wish someone would pay me $900,000 to be terrible at hockey.

Old
03-26-2013, 06:57 PM
pbunder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teddy10Beers View Post
I just rewatched the Dallas game. Falk had a really strong game. Now that he is being more consistent with d-zone responsibilities, and physicality he is a great bottom D. He's out playing Stoner recently for sure.

Old
03-26-2013, 07:15 PM
nickschultzfan

Quote:
Yeo certainly does.

Old
03-26-2013, 07:23 PM
Teddy10Beers

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbunder View Post
I just rewatched the Dallas game. Falk had a really strong game. Now that he is being more consistent with d-zone responsibilities, and physicality he is a great bottom D. He's out playing Stoner recently for sure.
Agreed. Falk has played well of late, but if Clark ever gets a start, it's Falk that's coming out, not Stoner. Signing Clark may have lit a fire under Falk and got him more motivated (although one would hope that it wouldn't take something like that to get a guy going).

As for Falk playing more physical, I wouldn't count on that lasting too long. Multiple times over the past few years Russo or others in the media have reported that the Wild coaching staff wants Falk playing more physical. Seems like he gets the message and takes it up a notch but then reverts back to being semi-soft. Doesn't seem like it's in his nature to play a hard nose physical game on a consistent basis; more of a finesse guy.

Old
03-26-2013, 07:25 PM
Teddy10Beers

Quote:
Yeo certainly does.
Based on what ... not changing the line-up during a winning streak?

Seriously how does Yeo know that Clark is terrible and much worse than Falk?

Old
03-26-2013, 07:29 PM
MK9

The thing I think bugs me most about Falk is, dude is huge. Half the time he plays like he's Spurgeon's size. Hit people, move people. Get a nasty edge to your game. It's a waste of that much mass.

Old
03-26-2013, 10:03 PM
nickschultzfan

Quote:
Based on what ... not changing the line-up during a winning streak?

Seriously how does Yeo know that Clark is terrible and much worse than Falk?
You caught Yeo. He doesn't play who he thinks are the best player at the present. He just plays the same guys as last game, unless that game was a loss. In that case he just gets real confused and asks somebody else what to do because his game plan was broken.

Clark was a good player. He is not now. He is just a warm body for injuries.

Old
03-26-2013, 11:11 PM
Dampland
YEO must GO

**** I know this would never happen, but if it was proposed, would you do it? ****

TO:

Steven Stamkos

TO:

2013 1st rd pick
Cal Clutterbuck
Matt Hackett
Mikael Granlund
Marco Scandella/Matt Dumba

So.... is it close to a fair value? Or would the Wild still have to add....what would they add?

I know that Tampa is lacking in goalie (Hackett) and d-man (Scandella/Dumba), plus a replacement for soon to retire Marty St.Louis in Granlund. And with Clutterbuck, they get that replacement for Downie that they real seem to be missing.

Think an offer like that would ever be considered by Yzerman?

Old
03-26-2013, 11:25 PM
Billy Mays Here
Optimistic Pessimist

Not even gonna bother speculating on what it would take to get Stammer here. He's a Bolt for life.

Old
03-26-2013, 11:25 PM
Sheng Peng

Not a big fan of Gilbert

Quote:
Falk and Scandella will be fine for that #4 role. Falk has been playing really well the last 15 games. Stoner looks so much better on the bottom pairing with Spurgeon.
Gilbert's played less than Spurgeon and Stoner recently, so right now, he's the bottom-pairing defenseman. In fact, the last time he played more than either Spurgeon or Stoner was 3/5 at Chicago. I'd expect more for $4 million/year. He's not a winning long-term solution at D imo, too expensive for the inconsistency.

Old
03-26-2013, 11:30 PM
tomgilbertfan
CRAAAWWWFFFOOORD

To even get Stevie Y to not hang up immediately you'd have to Offer Brodin+Granlund+1st and go from there. Whatever we'd have to give up would not be worth it.

Old
03-26-2013, 11:31 PM
Blizzard6411
#benchstoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheng Peng View Post
Gilbert's played less than Spurgeon and Stoner recently, so right now, he's the bottom-pairing defenseman. In fact, the last time he played more than either Spurgeon or Stoner was 3/5 at Chicago. I'd expect more for $4 million/year. He's not a winning long-term solution at D imo, too expensive for the inconsistency.
He's been hurt

Old
03-26-2013, 11:32 PM
Sheng Peng

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dampland View Post
**** I know this would never happen, but if it was proposed, would you do it? ****

TO:

Steven Stamkos

TO:

2013 1st rd pick
Cal Clutterbuck
Matt Hackett
Mikael Granlund
Marco Scandella/Matt Dumba
HFBoards Trade Proposal of the Week? Like tomgilbertfan said, start with Brodin, Granlund, and a 1st.

Old
03-26-2013, 11:33 PM
goatvindaloo

Don't see anyway the Wild would get him without trading away the majority of our future. If there's one thing I've learned this year is that a Stamkos alone does not a playoff team make. Besides, another blockbuster contract would severely handcuff the Wild going forward.

Old
03-26-2013, 11:37 PM
Sheng Peng

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blizzard6411 View Post
He's been hurt
Not the whole time. Played on 3/9, 3/12-3/16. Not just basing my judgment of Gilbert on ATOI either. Too many defensive coverage lapses for a relatively expensive, top-four guy on an expected playoff team.

Closed Thread