HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Montreal at the Draft

Old
02-17-2013, 11:02 AM
subbanged
Gal-Sub-Price-Pacio

vCash: 500
Montreal at the Draft

Montreal Currently has four picks in the top 60, lets assume they finish 20th,

How high do you think they could get using MON 1st, CGY 2nd, NSH 2nd, MON 2nd and Mon 3rd (Just to even out deals, Does anyone believe they could crack the top ten with two moves? Or is it unreachable with that group? For example 20th-15th 15th - 9th?

subbanged is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2013, 11:11 AM
Stormcrow

At this stage of the game for the Habs I would let things play out in the draft as they fall, with the exception of moving bodies.
ie. Mtl 2nd+xx player to move up.

Stormcrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2013, 11:14 AM
internetdotcom
11 + 15 + 19 = 666

Send a message via MSN to internetdotcom Send a message via Yahoo to internetdotcom
I don't think all those picks move you into the top 8 or 10 picks, given the depth of the draft, and how much talent there is at the top end. As a Sens fan, there is a good chance we pick in the top 10 this year, and if that happens, I wouldn't trade our pick for that package (mind you, we have a deep prospect pool already, but need that blue chip top line prospect).

internetdotcom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2013, 01:49 PM
Prairie Habs

Quote:
Originally Posted by internetdotcom View Post
I don't think all those picks move you into the top 8 or 10 picks, given the depth of the draft, and how much talent there is at the top end. As a Sens fan, there is a good chance we pick in the top 10 this year, and if that happens, I wouldn't trade our pick for that package (mind you, we have a deep prospect pool already, but need that blue chip top line prospect).
Wouldn't the depth of the draft help facilitate movement? If Montreal really wanted a player at spot X and the team that has that pick thinks that all the players around that point are blue chips but have no preference why wouldn't they move back, take the BPA + the extra asset from the trade?

Prairie Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2013, 01:52 PM
Captain Smurf
Naively Optimistic

Goaltending aside, Montreal has good prospect depth. I expect that they'll simply wait to see how the cards fall. It's generally very costly to move into the top 10 and it's not a given that you'll get anything significant to show for it.

Captain Smurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2013, 01:53 PM
PricerStopDaPuck
#PrayForBozon

Best move would be to keep all for unless a hell of a deal comes along I want lots of high quality prospects not just one or 2 really good ones.

PricerStopDaPuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2013, 01:56 PM
FanHabtic

With Trevor Timmins at the helm i would hold onto the pics and just draft. Timmins has found gems in the second round and with three 2nd round picks he will have a lot to work with!

FanHabtic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2013, 02:05 PM
Beendair Donedat

Keep them. Timmins and Dudley are there in place for their drafting abilities, let them do their jobs.

No guarantees anyone pans out if you load up for one prospect. Better to have multiple prospects and a solid development program in place.

I wouldn't be surprised if Bergevin moved Kaberle and possibly Moen for picks.

Beendair Donedat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2013, 02:18 PM
Wizeman*

I find it hard to believe any GM moves up in the draft without using a 'jaws of life' to pry the pick out of the other GM.

Wizeman* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2013, 02:23 PM
BROOKLYnKNIGHTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by subbanged View Post

How high do you think they could get using MON 1st, CGY 2nd, NSH 2nd, MON 2nd and Mon 3rd (Just to even out deals, Does anyone believe they could crack the top ten with two moves? Or is it unreachable with that group? For example 20th-15th 15th - 9th?
They could go very high in the draft with a package like that. How about 7-10 overall?

BROOKLYnKNIGHTS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2013, 03:11 PM
glenbuis

It would be so sweet if we could get rid of Kaberla's contract. Even if we use our second compliance buy-out on him his contract will still count against our cap next year just like Gomez' is this year.

glenbuis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2013, 03:15 PM
Captain Smurf
Naively Optimistic

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenbuis View Post
It would be so sweet if we could get rid of Kaberla's contract. Even if we use our second compliance buy-out on him his contract will still count against our cap next year just like Gomez' is this year.
No, it wouldn't. The only reason Gomez's counts this year is because they made a special exception this year for guys like Gomez and Redden who would have been forced to stay of the ice. (that, and the cap hasn't dropped yet). If Kaberle is bought out next offseason there would be no cap hit.

Whats the point of an amnesty buy-out if the cap hit still counts against the cap?

Old
02-17-2013, 03:23 PM
glenbuis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Smurf View Post
No, it wouldn't. The only reason Gomez's counts this year is because they made a special exception this year for guys like Gomez and Redden who would have been forced to stay of the ice. (that, and the cap hasn't dropped yet). If Kaberle is bought out next offseason there would be no cap hit.

Whats the point of an amnesty buy-out if the cap hit still counts against the cap?
I think you are referring to next off-season as in the summer of 2014. Although Gomez is bought out, that 1st amnesty buyout does not come off our cap this year. When the 2013-2014 season starts, Gomez' contract will not be against our cap. Each team is allowed one each summer 2013 and one next summer 2014. Gomez was our first buout and Kaberle if not traded will be our 2nd. Both Gomezs and Kaberle's contracts cannot be dropped against the cap for the season2013-14. These amnesty buy-outs were not supposed to start until this summer.

Old
02-17-2013, 03:25 PM
BrimStone64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beendair Donedat View Post
Keep them. Timmins and Dudley are there in place for their drafting abilities, let them do their jobs.

No guarantees anyone pans out if you load up for one prospect. Better to have multiple prospects and a solid development program in place.

I wouldn't be surprised if Bergevin moved Kaberle and possibly Moen for picks.
Moen has no movement clause he's going nowhere. Kaberle is untradeable unless Habs eat some of his contract.

BrimStone64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2013, 03:30 PM
Captain Smurf
Naively Optimistic

Quote:
I think you are referring to next off-season as in the summer of 2014. Although Gomez is bought out, that 1st amnesty buyout does not come off our cap this year. When the 2013-2014 season starts, Gomez' contract will not be against our cap. Each team is allowed one each summer 2013 and one next summer 2014. Gomez was our first buout and Kaberle if not traded will be our 2nd. Both Gomezs and Kaberle's contracts cannot be dropped against the cap for the season2013-14. These amnesty buy-outs were not supposed to start until this summer.
false. Each team has 2. they can spend them both this offseason or the next if they so choose. if kaberle's contract is bought out, it wont count towards the cap next season.

Old
02-17-2013, 03:31 PM
Beendair Donedat

While Moen does have a NMC, it's only for the first two years of his contract. Would he waive it for a shot with a contender? I wouldn't be surprised if he did...

I think someone would bite on Kaberle if they were in trouble for blueliners. Habs might have to eat some salary though you're right.

Ryan White may have played himself out of Montreal as well, although I hope not... I think he's a solid bottom 6 player.

Beendair Donedat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2013, 03:31 PM
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston

If the habs aren't close to moving into the top 10, then I'd say keep all the picks and build our prospect pool to potentially top 5.

Analyzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2013, 03:33 PM
BrimStone64

Quote:
Originally Posted by subbanged View Post

If MB was going to do that I would offer first pick alone for Teravainen. Who Timmins had rated 3rd best prospect last year, Timmins would have him rated around 6-8th if he was in this draft. Teravainen just missed this draft by few days.

Otherwise, I wouldn't trade all those picks unless somebody they had rated in top 2-3-4 slides. If a Drouin still there then sure. Last deep draft Timmins drafted Kostitsyn...best to keep his picks spreading out his chance of finding above average player

Last edited by BrimStone64: 02-17-2013 at 03:39 PM.
BrimStone64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2013, 03:34 PM
waitin425

I would love to move up in the draft. We have some dynamic young prospects and could acquire more in this draft.

What if we added Pleks to one of our 2nds? Where would that get us. Would any of the top 10 teams be willing to part with their pick for that? Would it be top 5 worthy? Would those seemingly rebuilding teams do it?

Okay so Pleks + 2nd at draft????

waitin425 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2013, 04:23 PM
Hugo Sham

Quote:
Originally Posted by waitin425 View Post
I would love to move up in the draft. We have some dynamic young prospects and could acquire more in this draft.

What if we added Pleks to one of our 2nds? Where would that get us. Would any of the top 10 teams be willing to part with their pick for that? Would it be top 5 worthy? Would those seemingly rebuilding teams do it?

great idea! let's trade the habs best, most versatile, point and minute eating forward

terrific

Hugo Sham is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2013, 04:44 PM
glenbuis

Quote:
false. Each team has 2. they can spend them both this offseason or the next if they so choose. if kaberle's contract is bought out, it wont count towards the cap next season.
I'm sorry but i think your wrong on that. Each team is allowed 1 amnesty buyout this summer and 1 next summer. May we have some other input to help us out here. Guys like Redden and Gomez were allowed out because they would not have made their respective teams this year. A guy like Horcoff will likely be Edmonton's first buyout this summer. Since the oilers are paying him anyways they have not used their buyout on him yet because they do not have a better replacement to take his spot. When they use their first buyout on Horcoff this summer his salary will be taken away from their cap for the 2013-14 season. They will not be able to drop 2 salaries for the 2013-14 season. Next summer 2014 they will be able to use their amnesty buyout #2.

Old
02-17-2013, 05:06 PM
Captain Smurf
Naively Optimistic

Quote:
I'm sorry but i think your wrong on that. Each team is allowed 1 amnesty buyout this summer and 1 next summer. May we have some other input to help us out here. Guys like Redden and Gomez were allowed out because they would not have made their respective teams this year. A guy like Horcoff will likely be Edmonton's first buyout this summer. Since the oilers are paying him anyways they have not used their buyout on him yet because they do not have a better replacement to take his spot. When they use their first buyout on Horcoff this summer his salary will be taken away from their cap for the 2013-14 season. They will not be able to drop 2 salaries for the 2013-14 season. Next summer 2014 they will be able to use their amnesty buyout #2.
I'm not

Quote:
During *the *Ordinary *Course *“Buy-Out” *periods following the 2012/13 season and 2013/14 season, in *addition *to *any *other *Ordinary *Course *“Buy-Outs” *a *Club *may *elect to effectuate pursuant to Paragraph *13 *of *the *SPC, *Clubs *may *elect *to *terminate *and *“buy-out” the already existing SPCs of up to two (2) additional Players (in the aggregate over the two (2) years) on a Compliance basis (a “Compliance *Buy-Out”). Such Compliance Buy-Out(s) would be effectuated on the same terms as are set forth in Paragraph 13 of the *SPC, *except *that *the *amounts *paid *under *such *“buy-out(s)” will not *be *charged *against *the *Club’s *Cap *in *any *of *the *years *in *which *the *payments *are *made *to *the * Player. Amounts paid under such Compliance Buy-Out(s) will, however, be counted against the Players’ *Share *during *any *League *Year *in *which *the *“buy-out” *payments *are *made. A Player that has been bought out under these Compliance Buy-Out provisions shall be prohibited from re-joining the Club that bought him out (via re-signing, Assignment, Waiver claim or otherwise) for the duration of the 2013/14 League Year (if the Player was bought out in 2013) and the 2014/15 League Year (if the Player was bought out in 2014).
Note how it says aggregate over 2 years.

Source - NHLPA summary of the new CBA

http://cdn.agilitycms.com/nhlpacom/P...ms-1-10-13.pdf

Old
02-17-2013, 05:09 PM
Patty Roy

Quote:
Originally Posted by waitin425 View Post

Thats nuts? Why do you want to trade our #1 center?

Unless there is someone we absolutely have to have i say hang onto the picks. We need to continue to build up the org depth.

Patty Roy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2013, 05:12 PM
Patty Roy

Kaberle will certainly be the Habs 2nd "amnesty" buyout this summer (2013). With Gomez and Kaberle off the books going into next season they will be reasonably well positioned from a Cap standpoint.

Patty Roy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2013, 05:17 PM
glenbuis

Quote:
I'm not

Note how it says aggregate over 2 years.

Source - NHLPA summary of the new CBA

http://cdn.agilitycms.com/nhlpacom/P...ms-1-10-13.pdf
I am sure you are reading your information wrong. Are there any other posters out there who can set the record straight on the rules regarding the two amnesty buyouts in the new collective bargaining agreement.