HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must use the RUMOR prefix in thread title. Proposals must contain the PROPOSAL prefix in the thread title.

Ryan O'Reilly Headed to Offer Sheet or Trade? (Part 3)

Closed Thread

Old
02-17-2013, 03:49 PM
Crisp Breakout

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DougGilmour93 View Post
I'm entitled to my opinion of Gardiner, as you are of O'Reilly. The way you are valuing him is as if he was Getzlaf.

Regardless of what you think my opinion of him is, I still would consider a deal revolving around Gardiner and O'Reilly.
Just to get this on record, are you suggesting Getzlaf's value would be Gardiner and Kulemin if he weren't an impending UFA?

Old
02-17-2013, 03:50 PM
DougGilmour93

Quote:
Originally Posted by KIRK View Post
I'm stunned that no Avs fan has jumped at even one of what must be a hundred fair offers from Leafs fans.
I concur.

Old
02-17-2013, 03:52 PM
DougGilmour93

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crisp Breakout View Post
Just to get this on record, are you suggesting Getzlaf's value would be Gardiner and Kulemin if he weren't an impending UFA?
I would pay more asset wise for a Getzlaf over an O'Reilly, if that's what you are getting at.

Old
02-17-2013, 03:53 PM
Crisp Breakout

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougGilmour93 View Post
I would pay more asset wise for a Getzlaf over an O'Reilly, if that's what you are getting at.
Nope. Just answer yes or no.

Old
02-17-2013, 03:54 PM
david999

Bozak +Franson+Colborne

Old
GoBs

Khoko
Kelly/Peverly
Krug
1st

Old
NothingLikeAnEJ
Jimmies: Rustled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iracundia View Post
Glad you're not the GM of the Avs. When healthy we have a great mix of skill and grit upfront. Problem is that we are lacking in scoring punch and skill from our D. We have zero goals from our D. We have the lowest scoring D in the NHL and you geniuses want to trade for a undersized forward
Landeskog is the only other skilled forward. Please don't say Stastny, Jones, McGinn and Downie are skilled forwards.

Our D is not only low scoring, but they also suck at actually playing D . Sekera helps with that, along with EJ and Wilson getting healthy. Barrie is growing into that offensive d-man role, and we still have Elliot developing.

Not saying Sekera + Ennis is the best package possible, but it's a very good one.

Old
02-17-2013, 04:02 PM
islandermaniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by david999 View Post
Bozak +Franson+Colborne
the horror...the horror...

Old
02-17-2013, 04:03 PM
AslanRH
Plebeian Poster

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by NothingLikeAnEJ View Post
Landeskog is the only other skilled forward. Please don't say Stastny, Jones, McGinn and Downie are skilled forwards.

Our D is not only low scoring, but they also suck at actually playing D . Sekera helps with that, along with EJ and Wilson getting healthy. Barrie is growing into that offensive d-man role, and we still have Elliot developing.

Not saying Sekera + Ennis is the best package possible, but it's a very good one.
Dutch, Lando, and maybe PAP.

Old
02-17-2013, 04:32 PM
Iracundia

vCash: 77
Quote:

How does Sekera help with anything? What are you basing this on? His career high 29pts? Is he a heavy hitter? Is Sekera even a top 4 Dman? The package absolutely sucks for what the avs need.

I think you need to look at our Defense a little closer. Look at where they were drafted and look at their scoring throughout their career. Look at some of the better teams in the league and check their draft pedigree and scoring history.

If ROR has to be traded the main piece coming back has to be a LD.

Yandle
MDZ
Kulikov
Gardiner
Rielly
Gormley

Old
02-17-2013, 04:36 PM
cgf
Fire [new coach]

Quote:
How does Sekera help with anything? What are you basing this on? His career high 29pts? Is he a heavy hitter? Is Sekera even a top 4 Dman? The package absolutely sucks for what the avs need.

I think you need to look at our Defense a little closer. Look at where they were drafted and look at their scoring throughout their career. Look at some of the better teams in the league and check their draft pedigree and scoring history.

Yandle
MDZ
Kulikov
Gardiner
Rielly
Gormley
Sekera would be our second best dman, and best dman playing right now by a mile. He could be a good fit next to EJ and give him a reliable partner he wasn't always covering for for the first time in his career. Ideally Sekera is a #3, but he can do the job on the top pairing to. I'd prefer Yandle, Kulikov, Rielly and maybe MDZ, although MDZ IMO wouldn't be a great fit next to EJ as Erik would have to keep playing a conservative, cover for your partner, style, but Sekera and Ennis is a package that holds value to and is an alternative that wouldn't be as terrible as most of the proposals you see in threads like this.

We could start next year with
McGinn-Duchene-PAP
Ennis-Staz-Skogger
Jones-Sgar-Downie
Bordy/Highlander-Malone/Mitchell-Olver

Sekera-EJ
Hejda-Barrie
Wilson-O'Brien
+ a great pick (Jones?)

while Gaunce, Siemens and Elliott keep developing in the AHL until somebody gets hurt.

Old
02-17-2013, 04:39 PM
birddog*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crisp Breakout View Post
Nope. Just answer yes or no.
I this a court of law? Is he on the witness stand? Can he not express himself?

Old
02-17-2013, 04:40 PM
Crisp Breakout

Quote:
Originally Posted by birddog View Post
I this a court of law? Is he on the witness stand? Can he not express himself?
I just wanted to emphasize the hilarious hyperbole he was using. You folks need someone to keep you honest.

Old
02-17-2013, 04:56 PM
Curtinho
Spero Meliora

Is this stuff with Colorado/Toronto still going on? Nobody cares about that...Ottawa needs O'Reilly more than any team out there.

Please, give us some help!

Old
02-17-2013, 05:00 PM
JoemAvs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cujomi View Post
Is this stuff with Colorado/Toronto still going on? Nobody cares about that...Ottawa needs O'Reilly more than any team out there.

Please, give us some help!
The team that needs ROR the most is by far the Avalanche .
3 or 4 NHL caliber defensemen would also be of some help .

I could easily see Ottawa getting ROR and I think he would be a great fit but unfortunately I hope that the price for him (the one you would pay) would make you cry

Old
02-17-2013, 05:00 PM
Iracundia

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgf View Post
Sekera would be our second best dman, and best dman playing right now by a mile. He could be a good fit next to EJ and give him a reliable partner he wasn't always covering for for the first time in his career. Ideally Sekera is a #3, but he can do the job on the top pairing to.
Buffalo must have the best D is the NHL. Sekera is 5th in TOI for Dmen on Buffalo. Teams usually dress 6 D per game. Maybe the Sabres are resting him for the Cup run. I'm using stats off of NHL.com and have only seen highlights of Sekara (the very few that are out there). I'm having a very hard time seeing how this hidden gem has the value you place on him.

Statistically can you articulate why Sekera is so good. What are you basing your high regard on him on?

Old
02-17-2013, 05:01 PM
McSuper
5-14-6-1

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiny norman View Post
I read today that they Avs were interested in Gagner . Not sure if it was just a reporter thinking up a trade . He was saying a prospect and a late round pick going to the Avs . Keep in mind that he said the Avs have interested in Gagner . Not that the Oilers have offer this

Old
02-17-2013, 05:02 PM
umbertovanek
Je suis Charlie

Quote:

Yeah, but you're not getting both of them. It's either one or the other + something.

As much as I'd like ROR, if he's being advertised as a future Selke winner, you have to see Ennis as a future PPG player and Sekera as a potential top pairing D.

And you won't get both of them for O'Reilly.

Old
02-17-2013, 05:47 PM
tsujimoto74

Quote:

Yandle
MDZ
Kulikov
Gardiner
Rielly
Gormley
His advanced stats from last season say he's amongst the better shutdown defenders in the league. He faced the 2nd highest QOC on the Sabres blue line (his partner Robyn Regehr was #1), he had high defensive zone starts and the highest offensive zone finish % on the team, and had the best Corsi rating on the team (not counting Sulzer because small sample size). Also, as a Sabres fan who watches him all the time, his skating is fantastic, and he is more than capable of being dangerous offensively when given the chance.
On top of that, he's on a steal of a contract with a cap hit of 2.75m for the next 3 years. He would immediately be the Avs #2 d-man behind EJ if they acquired him.

Old
02-17-2013, 05:49 PM
Janks
Pope Janks

vCash: 218
Gio + for ROR from the Flames?

Old
02-17-2013, 06:06 PM
Gigantor The Goalie

Quote:
Originally Posted by supert View Post
I read today that they Avs were interested in Gagner . Not sure if it was just a reporter thinking up a trade . He was saying a prospect and a late round pick going to the Avs . Keep in mind that he said the Avs have interested in Gagner . Not that the Oilers have offer this
Where did you read this? Why would the Avs be interested in Gagner and why would they be interested in sending him to a team that its our division? Sure let's give our division rival a darn good centerman that would make that 2nd line unbeatable, thats a great idea.

Old
02-17-2013, 06:07 PM
Avs_19
Peter the Great

Quote:
Originally Posted by supert View Post
Link to where you read this?

Why would the Avs want Gagner?

Old
02-17-2013, 06:11 PM
wunderpanda
cooly cough

Quote:
Originally Posted by umbertovanek View Post
Yeah, but you're not getting both of them. It's either one or the other + something.

As much as I'd like ROR, if he's being advertised as a future Selke winner, you have to see Ennis as a future PPG player and Sekera as a potential top pairing D.

And you won't get both of them for O'Reilly.
I'm a Sabres fan..... you have over valued Sekera and Ennis quite a bit. I see Ennis as a 50 point guy with bad defense, awful at faceoffs and too small to work along the boards. Sekera is an offensive defenseman who struggles to get points. If anything, Buffalo would need to add to that offer to get O'rielly.

Old
02-17-2013, 06:24 PM
umbertovanek
Je suis Charlie

Quote:
Originally Posted by wunderpanda View Post
I'm a Sabres fan..... you have over valued Sekera and Ennis quite a bit. I see Ennis as a 50 point guy with bad defense, awful at faceoffs and too small to work along the boards. Sekera is an offensive defenseman who struggles to get points. If anything, Buffalo would need to add to that offer to get O'rielly.
Ennis is on pace for a pro-rated 67pt. season RIGHT NOW, and that's with underperforming linemates (Stafford) and without sheltered minutes. And noone in his right mind would argue that he's on top of his game right now.

Calling Sekera an offense first dman who struggles to get points might have somehow worked two seasons ago, right now it makes you look ignorant, no offense. He's clearly emerged as a shut down dman last season.

Old
02-17-2013, 06:35 PM
Iracundia

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsujimoto74 View Post
His advanced stats from last season say he's amongst the better shutdown defenders in the league. He faced the 2nd highest QOC on the Sabres blue line (his partner Robyn Regehr was #1), he had high defensive zone starts and the highest offensive zone finish % on the team, and had the best Corsi rating on the team (not counting Sulzer because small sample size). Also, as a Sabres fan who watches him all the time, his skating is fantastic, and he is more than capable of being dangerous offensively when given the chance.
On top of that, he's on a steal of a contract with a cap hit of 2.75m for the next 3 years. He would immediately be the Avs #2 d-man behind EJ if they acquired him.

The Avs need SCORING from their D. We have an over abundance of defensive Dmen and don't need another one. The best year Sekera has ever had is 29pts.

You guys should keep him and play him with Myers if he's that good.

Closed Thread