HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must use the RUMOR prefix in thread title. Proposals must contain the PROPOSAL prefix in the thread title.

Ryan O'Reilly Headed to Offer Sheet or Trade? (Part 3)

Closed Thread

Old
02-21-2013, 12:55 AM
Elever
Hth

vCash: 1963
Zack Smith? Joe Sacco can never have enough grinders I guess.

Old
02-21-2013, 01:18 AM
S E P H
@Krzysztof_WHL

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowblindNYR View Post
I understand why you'd not want to throw in Barrie and I still haven't gotten an answer on the Rangers board why a team needing D-men will trade a promising young D-man to us. That said, Boyle is no great shakes, but calling a 41 point +20 D-man who is 22 is unfair.
You're not going to like hearing this, but I am not a fan of MDZ. I think we can go for someone better, IMO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kloparren View Post
Zack Smith? Joe Sacco can never have enough grinders I guess.
Smith is a pretty underrated player, but there is no need for him here.

Old
02-21-2013, 01:30 AM
SnowblindNYR

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by S E P H View Post
You're not going to like hearing this, but I am not a fan of MDZ. I think we can go for someone better, IMO.

Smith is a pretty underrated player, but there is no need for him here.
I'm fine hearing that. What do you expect for ROR? If the contract problems are as legit as it sounds, seems to me like the Avs would be wise to get someone like MDZ. He's a 40 point physical D-man who was +20 last year and is (usually) pretty solid in his own end. He has some pretty bad games, but usually he's good defensively. He's not McDonagh on defense, or even Girardi, but a guy that's solid defensively (usually) and can get you 40 points, is he really that bad of a haul in a trade for a guy that doesn't want to play for your team? If you can get someone better then G-d bless.

Old
02-21-2013, 01:33 AM
Fire Lindy
Trust the System

I wonder if O'Reilly being moved this season depends on whether or not the Av's are in a position to possibly make a run for the playoffs or not. Right now, they've been actually winning some games despite all of their injuries. Trading O'Reilly could give some valuable pieces back to help the team make the playoffs right now.

Old
02-21-2013, 01:36 AM
The Mars Volchenkov
Everbeast

vCash: 127
Send a message via MSN to The Mars Volchenkov
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foligno and Barnes View Post
I wonder if O'Reilly being moved this season depends on whether or not the Av's are in a position to possibly make a run for the playoffs or not. Right now, they've been actually winning some games despite all of their injuries. Trading O'Reilly could give some valuable pieces back to help the team make the playoffs right now.
If they can make a move soon, that'd be ideal. Landeskog will be back soon, EJ is apparently feeling better, and if you get a top 4 defenseman back for O'Reilly, suddenly the team looks a lot better. A return from Ryan Wilson would also be nice.

Duchene and Varlamov have been carrying the team.

Old
02-21-2013, 01:37 AM
JoemAvs

Quote:
I hope it depends solely on the return they can get back.

Lets face it. We are neither going to make the playoffs nor will we be bad enough to get a top5 pick. Varlamov and Duchene are too good to let this happen. And it looks like we are getting our captain back soon.

So I really hope that Sherman just simply goes with the best offer (and I also hope that he goes with the best offer and not with the offer which sucks but includes one of his mancrushes)

Old
02-21-2013, 01:39 AM
Freudian
Clearly deranged

Quote:
I don't think it matters at all. They're going to move him when they get a return they like. They can't get this wrong and I wouldn't be surprised to see it drag on to draft day.

Old
02-21-2013, 01:43 AM
Iracundia

Dater on the live chat was saying that the Avs are more than willing to go into the off season to deal ROR.

Old
02-21-2013, 01:54 AM
Bubba88
Toews = Savior

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyboy8920 View Post
any reason Chicago isn't in on this? They are clearly a ROR type piece away from putting the team over the top.

McNeil/Denault + Terravanen/Saad
The Hawks can't take on the salary ROR wants and isn't worth yet.

That's why.
now add in that you want 1 of our 2 best prospects + another former 1st round that looks good as prospect and you have your answer.

Saad plays on our 1st line already, why give him up for ROR when you consider how cheap Saads contract is and will be the next 2-4 years? Same with Teräväinen. Looks good in SM-Liiga already more pts than last year while playing better overall and after a bad start to the season playing out of position and battleing with injuries.
Those guys will give the Hawks some solid depth and good play for little money. If Saad, Teräväinen and Danault are on the Roster in 1-2 years, they would make less money combined than what ROR is searching.

Long story short: It just doesn't make sense for the Hawks

Old
02-21-2013, 01:55 AM
deytookerjaabs
Registered Smut User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iracundia View Post
Dater on the live chat was saying that the Avs are more than willing to go into the off season to deal ROR.
Once the season is over can't he sign an offer sheet?

If I was the Avs I'd try to get a 1st + from a surefire non-playoff team asap. Two high picks is a lot better than one.

Old
02-21-2013, 02:02 AM
Avs44

Quote:
Originally Posted by deytookerjaabs View Post
Once the season is over can't he sign an offer sheet?

If I was the Avs I'd try to get a 1st + from a surefire non-playoff team asap. Two high picks is a lot better than one.
He could sign an offer sheet right now if he wanted.

Old
02-21-2013, 02:02 AM
TMLFC
Tank-thews

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubba88 View Post
The Hawks can't take on the salary ROR wants and isn't worth yet.

That's why.
now add in that you want 1 of our 2 best prospects + another former 1st round that looks good as prospect and you have your answer.

Saad plays on our 1st line already, why give him up for ROR when you consider how cheap Saads contract is and will be the next 2-4 years? Same with Teräväinen. Looks good in SM-Liiga already more pts than last year while playing better overall and after a bad start to the season playing out of position and battleing with injuries.
Those guys will give the Hawks some solid depth and good play for little money. If Saad, Teräväinen and Danault are on the Roster in 1-2 years, they would make less money combined than what ROR is searching.

Long story short: It just doesn't make sense for the Hawks
I don't want anything - I was just suggesting. I am a fan of neither team.

I understand what you are saying though. Never really put thought into the cap. Was just looking at it as another one of those last piece pickups, similar to a Jeff Carter for the King.

Old
02-21-2013, 02:03 AM
officeglen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iracundia View Post
Sens willing to go into the off season to get ROR

Old
02-21-2013, 02:04 AM
deytookerjaabs
Registered Smut User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avs44 View Post
He could sign an offer sheet right now if he wanted.
Ah, I must be mistaken, I thought there was some rule about signing them once the season started.

Old
02-21-2013, 02:46 AM
ShouldveDraftedFiala

Has anyone confirmed how much he's looking to make? As far as I know everyone is just assuming he's after big money.

Reminds me of Subban. Everyone figured he must've been asking for 5 or 6+. Then after the 3.whatever he got, everyone was like wtf was Montreal front office doing?

Old
02-21-2013, 08:27 AM
InjuredChoker

vCash: 925
Quote:
Originally Posted by canuklehead View Post
Has anyone confirmed how much he's looking to make? As far as I know everyone is just assuming he's after big money.

Reminds me of Subban. Everyone figured he must've been asking for 5 or 6+. Then after the 3.whatever he got, everyone was like wtf was Montreal front office doing?
He declined 2y/7mil and 5/17.. They were close to signing in the offseason but the when EJ signed something pushed them off.. reports say he wasn't happy with Duchene taking bridge contract.

IIRC ROR's agent said that he's NOT asking for 5x5 type of money.. for what it's worth.

This isn't all about money, though, imo.

Subban signed fairly fast, these sides haven't been talking for like few weeks.

Old
02-21-2013, 08:57 AM
Stepan Glass

MDZ, Christian Thomas, 3rd

for

ROR and Elliott

No Miller and no Barrie, players which both fanbases are reluctant to give up. Thoughts?

Old
02-21-2013, 09:07 AM
JoemAvs

Quote:
Originally Posted by allerotrot View Post
MDZ, Christian Thomas, 3rd

for

ROR and Elliott

No Miller and no Barrie, players which both fanbases are reluctant to give up. Thoughts?
Pretty bad.
Elliott is close to Barrie in value and to us he is >>>> Thomas.
So we are basically adding to ROR in order to get MDZ.
Not gonna happen (if Sherm wants to keep his job).......

Old
02-21-2013, 11:41 AM
derriko

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qward View Post
Not at all.

His father is very passionate about his feelings towards pharmaceuticals and Melnyk owned a very large one. I am opposed to guns and I would not want my son playing for an owner that was on the chair of the NRA.
That's like saying players wouldnt want to play for a team if the owner was gay. I think its illogical personally. What someone does in their free time really shouldn't matter to someone else unless it affected job performance.

And its not like an owner / player even really work together that much. I think ROR's dad could stand his son taking a photo or two and going to a team event here or there together. (Actually the dudes a huge dingbat so he might not)

Old
02-21-2013, 11:43 AM
SI90

ROR

for

Nelson + Jesse Grahm+ 3rd

Old
02-21-2013, 11:43 AM
otto bond

Looks like he just want out of Colorado.

Old
02-21-2013, 12:49 PM
PerryTurnbullfan

Berglund for ROR?

Old
02-21-2013, 12:52 PM
Drij

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockLobster View Post
What does this bring to the table?
You?

Old
02-21-2013, 01:36 PM
Nihiliste

With the way this is playing out I have a hard time imagining that we will get more than a player like MDZ in return. Hopefully the Avs are patient and a GM somewhere gets desperate but otherwise IDK.

I like MDZ as a player but he never stands out to me in a "best player on the ice" kind of way the way O'reilly very often did last season.

I remember watching O'reilly and Landeskog make Datsyuk and Zetterberg look human last year. He doesn't numerically have that much value around the league and the holdout doesn't help at all but I can imagine very few scenarios in which Avs fans will be happy with the return.

Old
02-21-2013, 01:56 PM
iamitter
Thornton's Hen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nihiliste View Post
With the way this is playing out I have a hard time imagining that we will get more than a player like MDZ in return. Hopefully the Avs are patient and a GM somewhere gets desperate but otherwise IDK.

I like MDZ as a player but he never stands out to me in a "best player on the ice" kind of way the way O'reilly very often did last season.

I remember watching O'reilly and Landeskog make Datsyuk and Zetterberg look human last year. He doesn't numerically have that much value around the league and the holdout doesn't help at all but I can imagine very few scenarios in which Avs fans will be happy with the return.
There's plenty of games where Del Z was the catalyst on our offense. Spending a whole summer learning defense also went a very long way for him. He's great along the boards, physical and has frankly been very solid in his own zone since the beginning of the 11-12 season.

His skating isn't exactly Doughty/Karlsson level so that will always hold him back. He likes to pick corners when shooting so it's goal or wide a lot of the time. His wrister>slapper. He's got great offensive instincts on the rush and in pinching. He's got plenty of endurance and (not frequently, but sometimes) plays the most minutes for us in a game. He's always matched up against Stamkos whenever we play Tampa for some reason and always does well, which is odd, because in general his weaknesses are incredibly fast forwards. He would do better against a Jagr than a Stalberg defensively. He had one of the highest +/- on our team last year.

Whenever PMD get moved, they return a LOT. Del Zotto's PPG is similar to ROR's and Sather isn't going to add to DZ to get ROR. It's not going to be Miller/Kreider AND MDZ going. If one of those two goes, and I doubt it, Barrie is going to be coming back.

Closed Thread