HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must use the RUMOR prefix in thread title. Proposals must contain the PROPOSAL prefix in the thread title.

Ryan O'Reilly Headed to Offer Sheet or Trade? (Part 3)

Closed Thread

Old
02-21-2013, 01:58 PM
SnowblindNYR

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nihiliste View Post
With the way this is playing out I have a hard time imagining that we will get more than a player like MDZ in return. Hopefully the Avs are patient and a GM somewhere gets desperate but otherwise IDK.

I like MDZ as a player but he never stands out to me in a "best player on the ice" kind of way the way O'reilly very often did last season.

I remember watching O'reilly and Landeskog make Datsyuk and Zetterberg look human last year. He doesn't numerically have that much value around the league and the holdout doesn't help at all but I can imagine very few scenarios in which Avs fans will be happy with the return.
That's fair. There were a few games this year where I think that was the case. He and Staal were probably the best players on the ice this year against the Leafs in a game with a lot of good play by the Rangers. However, he's a second pairing defenseman who is good, but he's not exactly going to dominate like a #1 D-man.

Old
02-21-2013, 02:33 PM
hockeyGod

Just thinking out loud...

Nino + Hamonic

for

ROR + Elliot

Old
02-21-2013, 02:52 PM
SnowblindNYR

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyGod View Post

Nino + Hamonic

for

ROR + Elliot
Isn't Hamonic easily the Islanders' best D-man?

Old
02-21-2013, 03:43 PM
pspot

Oilers need to offersheet ROR yesterday

Old
02-21-2013, 03:45 PM
AslanRH
Plebeian Poster

vCash: 172
Quote:
Originally Posted by pspot View Post
Oilers need to offersheet ROR yesterday
Assuming he would sign it, what would you want the terms of the offer sheet to be?

Old
02-21-2013, 03:49 PM
pspot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aslanrh View Post
Assuming he would sign it, what would you want the terms of the offer sheet to be?
I'd probably threaten an offer sheet and then offer Gagner and a 1st (1st overall protected)

Old
02-21-2013, 03:51 PM
S3rkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyGod View Post

Nino + Hamonic

for

ROR + Elliot
I doubt the avs would target Nino, and I doubt the Isles would move Hamonic / not to mention they are most liking looking for a LHD to partner with EJ

Old
02-21-2013, 03:56 PM
Anth93

Quote:
Give him something ridiculous like a 7/8 million dollar bonus in year 1 and maybe 4/5 in year 2 and then raise the base salary to try and hit a 5 ish million cap.

Old
02-21-2013, 04:01 PM
S E P H
@Krzysztof_WHL

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowblindNYR View Post
I'm fine hearing that. What do you expect for ROR? If the contract problems are as legit as it sounds, seems to me like the Avs would be wise to get someone like MDZ. He's a 40 point physical D-man who was +20 last year and is (usually) pretty solid in his own end. He has some pretty bad games, but usually he's good defensively. He's not McDonagh on defense, or even Girardi, but a guy that's solid defensively (usually) and can get you 40 points, is he really that bad of a haul in a trade for a guy that doesn't want to play for your team? If you can get someone better then G-d bless.
I just don't like MDZ as the MAIN piece coming back the other way. He has good talent, but lacks speed for his puck moving abilities. His physical game is underrated, but won't be his greatest strength. I am personally looking for a solid two-way defender and MDZ's best strengths is more on the offensive side (his shot would do wonders on our PP though) where we have Hunwick, Elliott, and Barrie.

The best deal I have seen so far is from the Sens fans, proposing,

Zibanejad/Silvferberg + Wiercioch + 3rd
for
O'Reilly + O'Brien

Last edited by S E P H: 02-21-2013 at 04:18 PM.
Old
02-21-2013, 04:04 PM
birddog*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anth93 View Post
Give him something ridiculous like a 7/8 million dollar bonus in year 1 and maybe 4/5 in year 2 and then raise the base salary to try and hit a 5 ish million cap.
And you'd be wasting a lot of money for a second line center. A kid that has never scored 20 goals -- even in junior. Also never scored at a ppg clip. Five million for this kid is a huge overpayment and it's the reason he won't be dealt anywhere for a long time.

Old
02-21-2013, 04:09 PM
pspot

Quote:
Originally Posted by birddog View Post
And you'd be wasting a lot of money for a second line center. A kid that has never scored 20 goals -- even in junior. Also never scored at a ppg clip. Five million for this kid is a huge overpayment and it's the reason he won't be dealt anywhere for a long time.
considering he'd be complimenting RNH, Yak, Hall and Eberle how much scoring do you think they'd need from him?

potentially a perenial selke candidate added to that team would be unreal

Old
02-21-2013, 04:12 PM
derriko

If a team offer sheets him, I would put money on it not being the Oilers. Why would they use quality picks on a player where they have a strength (top 6 forwards) when those picks can be used to draft quality defensive and / or goalie prospects or traded for NHL players which they desperately need.

Old
02-21-2013, 04:13 PM
AslanRH
Plebeian Poster

Quote:
I'd probably threaten an offer sheet and then offer Gagner and a 1st (1st overall protected)
Don't think Gagner would do it for the Avs. Even thinking of him as a wing, not sure he's enough upgrade, and his next contract will probably be an issue, but the value is not bad in my opinion and many would say the Avs add something small.

Just asked, because unless the sheet is pretty high, (4.5+m/yr) the Avs would most likely match, which means if ROR wants out of Colorado, he would not sign it.

Old
02-21-2013, 04:15 PM
pspot

Quote:
Originally Posted by derriko View Post
If a team offer sheets him, I would put money on it not being the Oilers. Why would they use quality picks on a player where they have a strength (top 6 forwards) when those picks can be used to draft quality defensive and / or goalie prospects or traded for NHL players which they desperately need.
one of the few teams that probably don't need another high pick (apart from Jones which is why i suggested 1st overall protection)
have a ton of offensive talent
need defensive focus and leadership in their top 6
They have a group of dmen coming back but probably a position they could address via FA

IMO Oilers might be the perfect fit for ROR and one of the few teams that would make sense to offer sheet him

Old
02-21-2013, 04:16 PM
pspot

Quote:
Don't think Gagner would do it for the Avs. Even thinking of him as a wing, not sure he's enough upgrade, and his next contract will probably be an issue, but the value is not bad in my opinion and many would say the Avs add something small.

Just asked, because unless the sheet is pretty high, (4.5+m/yr) the Avs would most likely match, which means if ROR wants out of Colorado, he would not sign it.
in terms of salary either way I'd think it would be something 5+ per year

if its not a trade and was an offersheet then Oilers could most likely turn Gagner in to at least a 2nd

Old
02-21-2013, 04:22 PM
islandermaniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by S3rkie View Post
I doubt the avs would target Nino, and I doubt the Isles would move Hamonic / not to mention they are most liking looking for a LHD to partner with EJ
first, i think that niederreiter WOULD be something of interest to the avs. if they trade o'reilly and go forward with stastny and duchene as their centres, a winger with size, hands, skating ability, and physical play would likely be welcome...no?

also, you are exactly correct with regards to hamonic. i think the only players that snow would never trade would be jt, hamonic, and this year's first round pick which could turn out to be seth jones.

Old
02-21-2013, 04:25 PM
Avs44

Quote:
Empty threat.

Oilers don't have their 3rd round pick. They can threaten to offer sheet all they want. It's impossible for them to actually do it.

Old
02-21-2013, 04:26 PM
AslanRH
Plebeian Poster

Quote:
in terms of salary either way I'd think it would be something 5+ per year

if its not a trade and was an offersheet then Oilers could most likely turn Gagner in to at least a 2nd
I do think that if a team decides O'Reilly is the guy to be their 2C (with 1C potential) for years to come, and are willing to pay their 2C 5m/yr or more, they will offer sheet him. Right now, I think the trades would be approached first, but if Avs are asking too much, other teams will do what they need to do to get ROR.
I don't see anyone doing that until after the season ends, unless a team making a run at he cup loses their 1C for the year.

Old
02-21-2013, 04:29 PM
AslanRH
Plebeian Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avs44 View Post
Empty threat.

Oilers don't have their 3rd round pick. They can threaten to offer sheet all they want. It's impossible for them to actually do it.
Yep, teams can't find a way to get their pick back in this league.

Old
02-21-2013, 04:34 PM
Avs44

Quote:
Yep, teams can't find a way to get their pick back in this league.
Wake me up when they get it back.

I'll actually pretend to be scared of an Oilers offer sheet if they get it back from Dallas.

Old
02-21-2013, 04:37 PM
Avs_19
Peter the Great

Quote:
IMO Oilers might be the perfect fit for ROR and one of the few teams that would make sense to offer sheet him
Oilers aren't ready to contend so their picks could still be high. You would also have to offer something ridiculous to get him to not only sign the offer sheet, but also for the Avs to not match it and let him go to a division rival. The Oilers also have to re-sign RNH, Schultz, Yakupov, and Smid in the coming years.

I think giving O'Reilly $5M+ and giving up picks would be dumb for the Oilers but you never know with Tambellini and Lowe running the show.

Old
02-21-2013, 04:43 PM
GaryU

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avs_19 View Post
Oilers aren't ready to contend so their picks could still be high. You would also have to offer something ridiculous to get him to not only sign the offer sheet, but also for the Avs to not match it and let him go to a division rival. The Oilers also have to re-sign RNH, Schultz, Yakupov, and Smid in the coming years.

I think giving O'Reilly $5M+ and giving up picks would be dumb for the Oilers but you never know with Tambellini and Lowe running the show.
For any team...ROR isn't worth it, and between he & his Dad, he looks like a bigger tool since Daddy helped him with that email..

Old
02-21-2013, 04:46 PM
Flair Hay

Probably been mentioned before but is there any interest in Burmistrov or Little with a not so big +?

Burmistrov is another gifted defensive player with unreal puck handling skills. His offensive IQ is sub par and he's not all that gritty. But his defense is already at a pretty high level (He'd be 3rd behind Stastny/Duchene anyway right?) enough to be a shut down 3rd liner with room to improve.

Little has pretty good finish, good speed and generally plays pretty smart. A smaller forward, but can switch between center and right wing pretty seamlessly. He's makin in the $3M+ range but is a UFA after 2014.

Jets have Chicago's 2nd and 3rd as well as their own. First rounder will be too high for us to trade away though.

If one of those guys plus a 2nd isn't enough then too bad so sad for us I guess.

Old
02-21-2013, 04:48 PM
AslanRH
Plebeian Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avs44 View Post
Wake me up when they get it back.

I'll actually pretend to be scared of an Oilers offer sheet if they get it back from Dallas.
Point taken. thanks for the added dialog in a reasonable conversation. Avs fans are getting as snide as Leafs fans.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryU View Post
For any team...ROR isn't worth it, and between he & his Dad, he looks like a bigger tool since Daddy helped him with that email..
Daddy wrote the letter not ROR.

Old
02-21-2013, 04:50 PM
Avs For Life
#92 #9 #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhay1987 View Post
Probably been mentioned before but is there any interest in Burmistrov or Little with a not so big +?

Burmistrov is another gifted defensive player with unreal puck handling skills. His offensive IQ is sub par and he's not all that gritty. But his defense is already at a pretty high level (He'd be 3rd behind Stastny/Duchene anyway right?) enough to be a shut down 3rd liner with room to improve.

Little has pretty good finish, good speed and generally plays pretty smart. A smaller forward, but can switch between center and right wing pretty seamlessly. He's makin in the $3M+ range but is a UFA after 2014.

Jets have Chicago's 2nd and 3rd as well as their own. First rounder will be too high for us to trade away though.

If one of those guys plus a 2nd isn't enough then too bad so sad for us I guess.
We need Dmen not forwards

Closed Thread