HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Non-Sports > Geek Emporium
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Geek Emporium Discuss computers, hardware, software, electronics, video games, internet, etc.

The Official Android Thread Part IX: Glorious Stock Android User Master Race

Closed Thread

Old
04-09-2013, 01:02 PM
SolidSnakeUS

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post
Most of the previews claim the phone feels exactly like the 3. I know one of them even had a broken back after getting to use it. So yeah. I assume it's just as cruddy as the 3.
Cruddy huh? Can you name a plastic phone you do like? Or does it have to be glass/metal?

Outside of the Gorilla Glass screen on my Dinc 2, its entirely plastic and durable as hell. If Verizon had the HTC One, I might go for that, but you know how Verizon is... and don't tell me to switch. I'm on a family plan.

Also, are you sure you aren't reading the One vs S4 articles where of course the One is better construction/materials?

Old
04-09-2013, 01:05 PM
ECL
Very slippery slope

Send a message via AIM to ECL
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidSnakeUS View Post
Cruddy huh? Can you name a plastic phone you do like? Or does it have to be glass/metal?

Outside of the Gorilla Glass screen on my Dinc 2, its entirely plastic and durable as hell. If Verizon had the HTC One, I might go for that, but you know how Verizon is... and don't tell me to switch. I'm on a family plan.

Also, are you sure you aren't reading the One vs S4 articles where of course the One is better construction/materials?
Most of the Motorola phones are pretty solid in terms of not breaking and not being junky feeling. If the X-Phone comes out being a great device, it will probably be what I buy next. I'll be stuck between either the X-Phone or the SG4 unless AT&T loses the stupid exclusivity on the One 64GB.

And yes. I'd just about always prefer a non-plastic phone.

Old
04-09-2013, 01:15 PM
SolidSnakeUS

Quote:
Most of the Motorola phones are pretty solid in terms of not breaking and not being junky feeling. If the X-Phone comes out being a great device, it will probably be what I buy next. I'll be stuck between either the X-Phone or the SG4 unless AT&T loses the stupid exclusivity on the One 64GB.

I know I'm done to pretty much this month and next month for a phone upgrade (the contract is up in June), and as it is right now, we might not even get the X-Phone this month or the next. And since we're still on Verizon, we're kind of limited. And I want something that can easily last 2 years without feeling slow (my phone is pretty damn slow, since it's a single core).

I will say, the build quality argument isn't as much annoying as it was with a friend of mine when it came to expandable storage. If there was no expandable storage, even if the storage was anywhere between 32GB and 128GB internally and MUCH faster than what he has, he wouldn't buy it. I understand both reasons to have and not have it, but considering it a deal breaker with large storage in general and something much faster is just stupid.

Sorry, had to rant there.

Old
04-09-2013, 04:59 PM
Led Zappa
Tomorrow Today!

Quote:

Do you realize you can mount a USB device and play what ever you want on the One? I'm getting the 64GB, but I'd be happy with the 32GB if that was my only choice and I could mount other disks. The reviewer from Anandtech even mounted his SD chip from his DLR camera, transferred pics and shared them.

Youth Movement! Tally Ho...
Old
04-09-2013, 05:08 PM
Dave
( ͡ ͜ʖ ͡)

I really don't get the love affair with aluminum phones. Aluminum isn't really a special material at all. And I've never heard of people complaining about their S3's falling apart because of poor materials/construction. I've seen a lot of complaints about the iphones bending/glass shattering though.

Almost every single review of the htc One has to be taken with a grain of salt, because everyone seems to have such a hard on for aluminum. It's like if a manufacturer makes an aluminum phone it's automatically one of the best on the market.

Spec's/features/OS will always come first for me when deciding what phone to buy. Unless manufacturers start making phones out of titanium or carbon fiber, materials will never sway me either way.

Old
04-09-2013, 05:11 PM
ECL
Very slippery slope

Quote:
Originally Posted by Led Zappa View Post
Do you realize you can mount a USB device and play what ever you want on the One? I'm getting the 64GB, but I'd be happy with the 32GB if that was my only choice and I could mount other disks. The reviewer from Anandtech even mounted his SD chip from his DLR camera, transferred pics and shared them.
That's fine and dandy for most people. I use every single ounce of available memory on my iPhone (and I actually use what is on it). Mounting does nothing for me when I only use my phone when I am mobile.

Old
04-09-2013, 05:13 PM
ECL
Very slippery slope

Quote:
I know I'm done to pretty much this month and next month for a phone upgrade (the contract is up in June), and as it is right now, we might not even get the X-Phone this month or the next. And since we're still on Verizon, we're kind of limited. And I want something that can easily last 2 years without feeling slow (my phone is pretty damn slow, since it's a single core).

I will say, the build quality argument isn't as much annoying as it was with a friend of mine when it came to expandable storage. If there was no expandable storage, even if the storage was anywhere between 32GB and 128GB internally and MUCH faster than what he has, he wouldn't buy it. I understand both reasons to have and not have it, but considering it a deal breaker with large storage in general and something much faster is just stupid.

Sorry, had to rant there.
Why don't you just wait to upgrade for a few months, then? You don't HAVE to upgrade right away.

Old
04-09-2013, 05:14 PM
ECL
Very slippery slope

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
I really don't get the love affair with aluminum phones. Aluminum isn't really a special material at all. And I've never heard of people complaining about their S3's falling apart because of poor materials/construction. I've seen a lot of complaints about the iphones bending/glass shattering though.

Almost every single review of the htc One has to be taken with a grain of salt, because everyone seems to have such a hard on for aluminum. It's like if a manufacturer makes an aluminum phone it's automatically one of the best on the market.

Spec's/features/OS will always come first for me when deciding what phone to buy. Unless manufacturers start making phones out of titanium or carbon fiber, materials will never sway me either way.
And you are only one subset of buyer. Many buyers have many different factors for why they will purchase a phone. I don't get the lack of love affair from you for aluminum phones. But then I think for a second and realize that you just don't care for build quality. I do. I don't see why it would be difficult for you to understand that.

A lot of people just do not like the feel of a plastic phone. I am one of them.

Old
04-09-2013, 05:19 PM
Led Zappa
Tomorrow Today!

Quote:
That's fine and dandy for most people. I use every single ounce of available memory on my iPhone (and I actually use what is on it). Mounting does nothing for me when I only use my phone when I am mobile.
Well, me thinks you're being a little obstinate here. If you really liked the phone you'd adjust. Move things off and on once in a while. 64 really isn't that much more than 32 when we're talking today's storage needs. There is no way you can convince me 64 is enough for you and 32 isn't.

Old
04-09-2013, 05:20 PM
Dave
( ͡ ͜ʖ ͡)

Quote:
And you are only one subset of buyer. Many buyers have many different factors for why they will purchase a phone. I don't get the lack of love affair from you for aluminum phones. But then I think for a second and realize that you just don't care for build quality. I do. I don't see why it would be difficult for you to understand that.

A lot of people just do not like the feel of a plastic phone. I am one of them.
So build quality is materials? Whenever I read a catch phrase like that I think of reliability/durability. I'd imagine if the s4 was aluminum and the One was plastic you'd be all over the s4 instead?

Most people seem to put their phones in cases too, what does the material matter if you're gonna wrap it in a plastic case anyway.

Old
04-09-2013, 05:28 PM
ECL
Very slippery slope

Quote:
Well, me thinks you're being a little obstinate here. If you really liked the phone you'd adjust. Move things off and on once in a while. 64 really isn't that much more than 32 when we're talking today's storage needs. There is no way you can convince me 64 is enough for you and 32 isn't.
Why would I adjust when I actually need the 64GB? Excuse me for having more media than you do, I guess?

Old
04-09-2013, 05:32 PM
ECL
Very slippery slope

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
So build quality is materials? Whenever I read a catch phrase like that I think of reliability/durability. I'd imagine if the s4 was aluminum and the One was plastic you'd be all over the s4 instead?

Most people seem to put their phones in cases too, what does the material matter if you're gonna wrap it in a plastic case anyway.
Not just materials, no. You can use expensive materials and still have ugly gaps or a chincy feel. Much like cars.

Quite a few people don't use cases (especially now). The black iPhone 5 needs to go into a case since it has ****** build quality due to a soft anodization process. So it's not just materials, but fit and finish as well. Even though the S4 seems to be put together nicely, I am not a fan of it due to the materials. The One is not only put together wonderfully, but the materials are also fantastic. Same with the white/silver iPhone 5.

I am curious if the black One has the same issues as the black iPhone 5.

Old
04-09-2013, 05:39 PM
Led Zappa
Tomorrow Today!

Quote:
Why would I adjust when I actually need the 64GB? Excuse me for having more media than you do, I guess?
Because you want the phone and there are other things you can do?

It just seems to me that your outrage that HTC has screwed you is overpowering any other thought you have regarding this phone. And most of us have more than 64GB's of media these days. We adjust.

You don't want to? Fine. I actually hope for you that the exclusivity doesn't last that long and if/when Verizon gets the phone your dreams come true and you get the 64Gb.

Old
04-09-2013, 05:44 PM
ECL
Very slippery slope

Quote:
Because you want the phone and there are other things you can do?

It just seems to me that your outrage that HTC has screwed you is overpowering any other thought you have regarding this phone. And most of us have more than 64GB's of media these days. We adjust.

You don't want to? Fine. I actually hope for you that the exclusivity doesn't last that long and if/when Verizon gets the phone your dreams come true and you get the 64Gb.
Actually, I'm on Sprint. The whole point is, I shouldn't have to "adjust." It's silly to offer the phone in different sizes for different carriers. The whole point of a flagship phone is to get as much of the marketplace on all of the carriers it can. Instead, they sign some silly (and really quite odd) deal with AT&T for exclusivity of a portion of what is supposedly a flagship phone.

Old
04-09-2013, 05:51 PM
Led Zappa
Tomorrow Today!

Quote:
Actually, I'm on Sprint. The whole point is, I shouldn't have to "adjust." It's silly to offer the phone in different sizes for different carriers. The whole point of a flagship phone is to get as much of the marketplace on all of the carriers it can. Instead, they sign some silly (and really quite odd) deal with AT&T for exclusivity of a portion of what is supposedly a flagship phone.
No, the point for HTC is to survive and they've decided that getting a block order from ATT for the phone is important. For that block order they've given exclusivity to ATT for the 64GB.

The rumor I read is that ATT agreed to buy a certain amount of the phones out of the gate, which means they have an incentive to move them. HTC is having money troubles and isn't going to be able to market this phone as it should be according to the experts I've read. Sounds like a sound business decision to me.

I don't know why you believe it's marked in stone that a flagship phone should be on all carriers in all variants.

Old
04-09-2013, 05:59 PM
ECL
Very slippery slope

Quote:
No, the point for HTC is to survive and they've decided that getting a block order from ATT for the phone is important. For that block order they've given exclusivity to ATT for the 64GB.

The rumor I read is that ATT agreed to buy a certain amount of the phones out of the gate, which means they have an incentive to move them. HTC is having money troubles and isn't going to be able to market this phone as it should be according to the experts I've read. Sounds like a sound business decision to me.

I don't know why you believe it's marked in stone that a flagship phone should be on all carriers in all variants.
Because HTC should be doing what Apple and Samsung are doing. The exact same thing. Try and be on as many carriers as they can be with a single phone. Only way to truly build brand loyalty and recognition. It has simply propelled Samsung over the last couple of years into the stratosphere.

As of right now, HTC is a tertiary manufacturer, which is a shame.

Old
04-09-2013, 06:04 PM
Led Zappa
Tomorrow Today!

Quote:
Because HTC should be doing what Apple and Samsung are doing. The exact same thing. Try and be on as many carriers as they can be with a single phone. Only way to truly build brand loyalty and recognition. It has simply propelled Samsung over the last couple of years into the stratosphere.

What part of "They don't have the money to market it like Apple and Samsung" don't you understand? By doing this ATT will help market it. I've tried to explain it to you even though it doesn't matter a lick. HTC made a business decision you don't approve of because you can't get your 64GB phone. I'll trust HTC with their business decisions and I hope this phone brings them back to a top tier phone manufacturer.

Old
04-09-2013, 06:05 PM
SolidSnakeUS

Quote:

I don't know if it was Verizon's decision or HTC's, but them not being on Verizon is a real kicker too (for USA anyways, and I mean the One).

Old
04-09-2013, 07:22 PM
Sined
The AndroidBugler!

Is MobileSyrup blocked for anyone?

Old
04-09-2013, 07:24 PM
Dave
( ͡ ͜ʖ ͡)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sined View Post
Is MobileSyrup blocked for anyone?
Yeah it is for me. I follow them on twitter and they said they're working on it. But that was hours ago.

Old
04-09-2013, 07:26 PM
ECL
Very slippery slope

Quote:
What part of "They don't have the money to market it like Apple and Samsung" don't you understand? By doing this ATT will help market it. I've tried to explain it to you even though it doesn't matter a lick. HTC made a business decision you don't approve of because you can't get your 64GB phone. I'll trust HTC with their business decisions and I hope this phone brings them back to a top tier phone manufacturer.
What part about HTC playing the long game instead of the short game do you not understand? This stupid deal with AT&T does not help the company out at all long term. It's a pretty short sighted business decision (and it looks to have been seriously last minute, too).

Quote:
I don't know if it was Verizon's decision or HTC's, but them not being on Verizon is a real kicker too (for USA anyways, and I mean the One).
I assume it was probably Verizon's. They are satan incarnate.

Old
04-09-2013, 07:32 PM
Led Zappa
Tomorrow Today!

Quote:
What part about HTC playing the long game instead of the short game do you not understand? This stupid deal with AT&T does not help the company out at all long term. It's a pretty short sighted business decision (and it looks to have been seriously last minute, too).
Apple was sooooooooooooooo short sighted in giving ATT exclusivity. I give up. Your butt hurt and nothing rational is getting through your noggin'.

Old
04-09-2013, 09:12 PM
ECL
Very slippery slope

Quote:
Apple was sooooooooooooooo short sighted in giving ATT exclusivity. I give up. Your butt hurt and nothing rational is getting through your noggin'.
You do know that Verizon turned Apple down, correct? And, at the time, exclusivity was how it was done. This all started to change in the past 3 or so years.

Old
04-09-2013, 11:52 PM
Mrb1p
PRICERSTOPDAPUCK

Hey geeks.

I've been an HTC user for three years now... I had a Hero and a Desire(Currently)....

Should I get the One ?

Old
04-10-2013, 12:06 AM
Dave
( ͡ ͜ʖ ͡)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrb1p View Post
Hey geeks.

I've been an HTC user for three years now... I had a Hero and a Desire(Currently)....

Should I get the One ?
The One is arguably the best phone on the market, so if you're ready to upgrade and you like HTC, I can't imagine the One disappointing you.

Closed Thread