HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Non-Sports > Geek Emporium
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Geek Emporium Discuss computers, hardware, software, electronics, video games, internet, etc.

The Official Android Thread Part IX: Glorious Stock Android User Master Race

Closed Thread

Old
02-20-2013, 04:15 PM
Dave
( ͡ ͜ʖ ͡)

vCash: 500
Depends on if you want to wait for it I suppose. It's being 'announced' March 14. Hopefully the phone will come out soon after the announcement, but who knows.

I think the s4 is the front runner for me. But I almost just want to wait and see where samsung will go with the Note 3, and in the time between now and then just get a nexus4.

Old
02-20-2013, 05:24 PM
Lecavilier_4

Send a message via MSN to Lecavilier_4
I am also not sure what to get. I have not had a phone in probably 2+ years. The last phone I had was a Blackberry 9000 and this time around I am definitely getting an android. The phones I am looking at right now are:

Nexus 4, Optimus G and Galaxy S3.

Originally I thought for sure I was going to go with a Nexus 4 straight from Google but the up front cost is kind of deterring me away. That being said, I planned on going with Vrigin Mobile Canada and they are going to be carrying the Nexus 4 anyway so that may still be an option. The other problem I have with the Nexus 4 is the non-expandable 16 GB storage. It seems pretty small when you get an OS on there, some apps, music, videos, files, pictures etc. I just have worries that it isn't going to be enough.

Also. The E970 version of the Optimus G isn't available in Canada is it? It is the version with expandable storage (microSD) and 13MP Camera that Sprint carries in the US.

Old
02-20-2013, 08:26 PM
Sined
The AndroidBugler!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidSnakeUS View Post
Ok, so I'm waiting now for a new phone. Should I just wait for the Galaxy S4?
I'd at least wait and see if its any good to make a decision.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lecavilier_4 View Post
I am also not sure what to get. I have not had a phone in probably 2+ years. The last phone I had was a Blackberry 9000 and this time around I am definitely getting an android. The phones I am looking at right now are:

Nexus 4, Optimus G and Galaxy S3.

Originally I thought for sure I was going to go with a Nexus 4 straight from Google but the up front cost is kind of deterring me away. That being said, I planned on going with Vrigin Mobile Canada and they are going to be carrying the Nexus 4 anyway so that may still be an option. The other problem I have with the Nexus 4 is the non-expandable 16 GB storage. It seems pretty small when you get an OS on there, some apps, music, videos, files, pictures etc. I just have worries that it isn't going to be enough.

Also. The E970 version of the Optimus G isn't available in Canada is it? It is the version with expandable storage (microSD) and 13MP Camera that Sprint carries in the US.
You're right, 16GB is quite low.
My HTC One X is often out of memory, but I do have a lot of games a barely play (but stupidly think I will play later thus keeping them).

The upfront cost is a tad hard to swallow but carriers have started showing signs of catering to people who do so with credits on their plans. Rogers recently started offering 10% discounts to people bringing in their own device.

Regardless the Nexus 4's greatest strength is that it will be updated to the latest version of Android in a timely manner and for the next 2 years.

The Optimus G is a very nice phone. Basically a Nexus 4 but not running stock Android. It comes with 32GB as base storage, and I think that's pretty sufficient, unless you are a media (music/video) junkie. The Sprint SD Card expandable version is not available in Canada.

The Galaxy S III is the best Android phone of the year 2012 so is a good choice, but given the eminent unveiling of its successor the Galaxy S IV I would hold off buying an SGSIII.

Old
02-20-2013, 09:27 PM
Hunter Gathers
Raise hell and . . .

Send a message via AIM to Hunter Gathers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sined View Post
What are the odds that it's not a plasticy piece of junk? 100-to-1?

Old
02-20-2013, 10:16 PM
Jori
HFB Partner

S IV could be plastic junk, but with Samsung's marketing machine and mind share, it'll easily outsell the One. I'm rooting for HTC, but I'm pretty much sticking with Nexus devices...no more Sense for me.

Speaking of the Nexus 4, got the 4.2.2 update over the weekend....huge improvement in battery life over 4.2.1. Love this phone, but it is a slippery sucker.

Old
02-20-2013, 10:24 PM
Sined
The AndroidBugler!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post
What are the odds that it's not a plasticy piece of junk? 100-to-1?
Depends on what you value. I bet the SGSIV is plastic yet again. The HTC One will probably destroy it in terms of build quality but will most likely fall again in sales.

Old
02-21-2013, 10:19 AM
ForzaZuffa
Don't stare at it...

Gents, need some advice that would be android related but wasn't sure where to post the Q.

I've got 8 months left on a Telus plan and want to grab a GS3 or a Note II. With their trade in program, my HTC Desire first gen will get me $50 trade in value, or essentially cancelling out the cost of the GS3 ($50 on a 3yr contract).

However, after calling loyalty to try to get them to waive the $80 early upgrade fee, no dice; they were willing to take $20 off it and match my current monthly plan rate of $50 + give me free caller ID (current plan is: 1GB, 200 minutes, free E/W, unlimited texting, no caller ID).

It would essentially cost me $60 to upgrade (free phone), should I take the deal, or wait it out? The only problems with waiting it out are: 1) I hate my current phone (terribad battery life+ only 512MB of internal ram which is a ***** just to fit Facebook and twitter on) and 2) I like the easy $50 I can get for my phone that is fairly scratched up on the casing (screen is fine) and I'm afraid the more months I wait to trade the phone in, the value they'll give me for trade will reduce.

Old
02-21-2013, 12:27 PM
Nalens Oga
HeavenOrLasVegas

vCash: 1963
Is there any android app similar to Qusic for the Ipod where you can track any new releases by a given band?

Old
02-21-2013, 12:34 PM
CoopALoop

I've had my HTC one X for 2 months and have cracked the screen.

(damn you liquor)

Still fully functional, just cosmetic damage. My questions is: should I purchase a display and digitizer and replace the screen myself? (seems easy enough), Or would I bet better off sending it in to be replaced?

Old
02-21-2013, 01:21 PM
Jek McPorkins
Red Six

vCash: 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by ForzaZuffa View Post
Gents, need some advice that would be android related but wasn't sure where to post the Q.

I've got 8 months left on a Telus plan and want to grab a GS3 or a Note II. With their trade in program, my HTC Desire first gen will get me $50 trade in value, or essentially cancelling out the cost of the GS3 ($50 on a 3yr contract).

However, after calling loyalty to try to get them to waive the $80 early upgrade fee, no dice; they were willing to take $20 off it and match my current monthly plan rate of $50 + give me free caller ID (current plan is: 1GB, 200 minutes, free E/W, unlimited texting, no caller ID).

It would essentially cost me $60 to upgrade (free phone), should I take the deal, or wait it out? The only problems with waiting it out are: 1) I hate my current phone (terribad battery life+ only 512MB of internal ram which is a ***** just to fit Facebook and twitter on) and 2) I like the easy $50 I can get for my phone that is fairly scratched up on the casing (screen is fine) and I'm afraid the more months I wait to trade the phone in, the value they'll give me for trade will reduce.
Wait for a couple months, until the SGS4 rolls out. They'll give you a sweeter deal on the SGS3 as they try to blow them out.

You deserve a better plan as well, and that may not be available until your current plan is fulfilled.

Short term pain, long term gain. I'd wait.

Old
02-21-2013, 02:05 PM
ForzaZuffa
Don't stare at it...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psycho Dad View Post
Wait for a couple months, until the SGS4 rolls out. They'll give you a sweeter deal on the SGS3 as they try to blow them out.

You deserve a better plan as well, and that may not be available until your current plan is fulfilled.

Thanks for the input, it's much appreciated.

Old
02-21-2013, 02:13 PM
Lecavilier_4

Send a message via MSN to Lecavilier_4
Quote:

You're right, 16GB is quite low.
My HTC One X is often out of memory, but I do have a lot of games a barely play (but stupidly think I will play later thus keeping them).

The upfront cost is a tad hard to swallow but carriers have started showing signs of catering to people who do so with credits on their plans. Rogers recently started offering 10% discounts to people bringing in their own device.

Regardless the Nexus 4's greatest strength is that it will be updated to the latest version of Android in a timely manner and for the next 2 years.

The Optimus G is a very nice phone. Basically a Nexus 4 but not running stock Android. It comes with 32GB as base storage, and I think that's pretty sufficient, unless you are a media (music/video) junkie. The Sprint SD Card expandable version is not available in Canada.

The Galaxy S III is the best Android phone of the year 2012 so is a good choice, but given the eminent unveiling of its successor the Galaxy S IV I would hold off buying an SGSIII.
The nexus 4 is available through virgin canada today. Highly tempted to get it.

Old
02-21-2013, 09:21 PM
Sined
The AndroidBugler!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kloparren View Post
Is there any android app similar to Qusic for the Ipod where you can track any new releases by a given band?
After a quick Google I didn't find anything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoopALoop View Post

(damn you liquor)

Still fully functional, just cosmetic damage. My questions is: should I purchase a display and digitizer and replace the screen myself? (seems easy enough), Or would I bet better off sending it in to be replaced?
I haven't looked at the one x being disasembled but the One X's glass is laminated to the display which might make it a bit hard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psycho Dad View Post

Good advice.

Old
02-21-2013, 10:19 PM
Towers
Is it on Origin?

Send a message via MSN to Towers
Random update time. My father-in-law absolutely loves his nexus 7.

Old
02-22-2013, 08:44 AM
Sined
The AndroidBugler!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Towers View Post
Random update time. My father-in-law absolutely loves his nexus 7.
Glad to hear!

Old
02-22-2013, 11:01 AM
Sined
The AndroidBugler!

http://asia.cnet.com/htc-one-vs-ipho...t-62220556.htm

HTC One's 4-megapixel "Ultrapixel" Camera vs Apple iPhone 5's 8-megapixel Camera

Old
02-22-2013, 04:06 PM
Kanye
Life of Pablo

vCash: 50
Bought a Nexus 4 yesterday, love it. Fast, sleek, with an incredible screen, unreal price, and actually doesn't feel like a flimsy piece of ****.

Old
02-22-2013, 05:28 PM
Power Man
Grrrr

Ok Im on my 3rd ROM (lol) - on my HTC One S

Pacman ROM - Android 4.2.1

Niiiice

Old
02-23-2013, 02:10 AM
The Russian General
Go Habs Go

Quote:
http://asia.cnet.com/htc-one-vs-ipho...t-62220556.htm

HTC One's 4-megapixel "Ultrapixel" Camera vs Apple iPhone 5's 8-megapixel Camera
I wish they included the 920, especially for night shots comparisons (day shots are meh). That will come anyway.

Old
02-23-2013, 06:21 AM
Fish on The Sand
Untouchable

I bricked my phone tonight. Any idea when the S4 will be released? I've heard May and March. I'd assume May is most likely, which is more realistic?

Old
02-23-2013, 11:34 AM
Le Tricolore
Boo! BOOOOO!

vCash: 50
How did you brick it? I imagine it's easily recoverable.

Old
02-23-2013, 12:06 PM
LickTheEnvelope
6th Overall Blows

Not sure where to post this but I thought it relevent to people looking to upgrade....

The big 3 telecoms (Rogers, Bell, Telus) were mandated by the CRTC to change contracting practices on cancellation fees for cell phones on contracts.

This just changed... (though it does not affect users on old contracts).

Essentially if you upgrade on a new contract, or activate a new line on a contract the canellation fees now cannot exceed the amount of rebates you receive for the device.

So basically cancellation fees now are the device credit / months left on contract.

So say you got $500 off a phone on activation and have a year left in a contract the fee would be $500/36 months = $13.89/month * 12 months (left) = $166.67.

In the past that amount would have been more than double that.

Old
02-23-2013, 12:19 PM
Dave
( ͡ ͜ʖ ͡)

I read about that not too long ago, it's a good step for the canadian mobile market. Is that cancellation fee constant throughout the contract? Say you want to cancel after 6months, you just pay 30months to opt out? Also, would you still have to pay their $50 fee to unlock the phone?

I still think the big 3 are horrible providers and I'd like the crtc to step in and do something. They essentially have a monopoly together and have no incentive to provide better services to their customers.

The most recent new plans released by all three are identical, and are a ripoff. In the plan I'd want they give you some basic features and 3 gigs of data for $80/month. Yet, for some reason, they also give you unlimited minutes. Who wants unlimited minutes? It's like they overcharge you for what you want (data) then try to justify the high cost by giving you more minutes than you ever want/need.

Contrasted by the plans that are offered by the smaller providers like wind, etc. It's unreal what the big three get away with. It's a shame that the big three have the best networks (the reason I'll probably stay with rogers), otherwise they'd lose a lot of business very quickly.

When my most recent 3year contract expired about 6months ago I was really excited to get a new phone, until I actually looked at the services that are being offered. The ****** contracts are the only reason I haven't bought a new phone yet.

Old
02-23-2013, 12:41 PM
nightfighter

vCash: 603
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoopALoop View Post

(damn you liquor)

You live in the vancouver area? Surely you can find some asian mall with a phone repair shop that will do it relatively cheap. My friend had his screen on his One X replaced a couple months ago for about 150$ (including parts and labour).

Old
02-23-2013, 01:01 PM
LickTheEnvelope
6th Overall Blows

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
I read about that not too long ago, it's a good step for the canadian mobile market. Is that cancellation fee constant throughout the contract? Say you want to cancel after 6months, you just pay 30months to opt out? Also, would you still have to pay their $50 fee to unlock the phone?
Yes so under the example above you would pay back 30 months of the $500/36.

Yes if you unlock through the company that provides it they can charge whatever for the unlock.

Quote:
I still think the big 3 are horrible providers and I'd like the crtc to step in and do something. They essentially have a monopoly together and have no incentive to provide better services to their customers.
Technically it was forced on them by a class action suite in Quebec a few years ago.

Contract have been like this in Quebec for the last couple years but just went nationwide about 2 weeks ago.

Quote:
The most recent new plans released by all three are identical, and are a ripoff. In the plan I'd want they give you some basic features and 3 gigs of data for $80/month. Yet, for some reason, they also give you unlimited minutes. Who wants unlimited minutes? It's like they overcharge you for what you want (data) then try to justify the high cost by giving you more minutes than you ever want/need.
Ya unfortunately they decided to take the US route which was make minutes and long distance much less but data plans lower or cost more.

Quote:
Contrasted by the plans that are offered by the smaller providers like wind, etc. It's unreal what the big three get away with. It's a shame that the big three have the best networks (the reason I'll probably stay with rogers), otherwise they'd lose a lot of business very quickly.
A little bit different. Wind also has a lot of global coverage... so i'm not sure how that's less of a monopoly?

Quote:
When my most recent 3year contract expired about 6months ago I was really excited to get a new phone, until I actually looked at the services that are being offered. The ****** contracts are the only reason I haven't bought a new phone yet.
Ya it definetly depends on need that's for sure.

Closed Thread