HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Non-Sports > Geek Emporium
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Geek Emporium Discuss computers, hardware, software, electronics, video games, internet, etc.

The Official Android Thread Part IX: Glorious Stock Android User Master Race

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
04-30-2013, 03:17 PM
  #576
habs_24x
Registered User
 
habs_24x's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,388
vCash: 500
The 16 GB Galaxy S4 only has 8.8 GB of space right out of the box...

http://www.extremetech.com/?x=-961&y...=galaxy+s4+8.8

habs_24x is offline  
Old
04-30-2013, 04:44 PM
  #577
Sined
The AndroidBugler!
 
Sined's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 6,720
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by habs_24x View Post
The 16 GB Galaxy S4 only has 8.8 GB of space right out of the box...

http://www.extremetech.com/?x=-961&y...=galaxy+s4+8.8
And people said sense was bloated.

Sined is offline  
Old
04-30-2013, 05:04 PM
  #578
optimus2861
Registered User
 
optimus2861's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Bedford NS
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,248
vCash: 500
I took the plunge and rooted my Galaxy S2 It was a breeze and now I have finally stopped the power-draining pig that is the useless "WiFi Sharing Manager" once and for all!

optimus2861 is offline  
Old
05-01-2013, 02:39 PM
  #579
Led Zappa
Tomorrow Today!
 
Led Zappa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Sunnyvale, CA
Country: Scotland
Posts: 37,450
vCash: 500
So, ATT is out of stock on the HTC One 64GB and have no estimate on availability. Never even made it to stores.

I guess we know why HTC allowed ATT to have the exclusive. They simply couldn't meet demand. So much for hating on HTC for not allowing you to buy this version on another carrier.

This phone looks to be selling like hotcakes. I hope this keeps up for HTC and competitions sake.

I'm loving mine

__________________

Youth Movement! Tally Ho...
Led Zappa is offline  
Old
05-02-2013, 11:39 AM
  #580
Moves Like Jagr
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Kitchener
Posts: 76
vCash: 500
Anyone know if there is a way to have the battery percentage displayed in the top tight corner on a Nexus 4? I had it displayed on my S2 LTE but there doesnt seem to be an option on the Nexus 4. Checked setting and doesnt seem to have an option for that. I'm guessing rooting is the only way to do this?

Moves Like Jagr is offline  
Old
05-02-2013, 11:40 AM
  #581
optimus2861
Registered User
 
optimus2861's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Bedford NS
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,248
vCash: 500
Does the Battery Widget app in the play store not work on a Nexus 4?

optimus2861 is offline  
Old
05-02-2013, 11:52 AM
  #582
Moves Like Jagr
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Kitchener
Posts: 76
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by optimus2861 View Post
Does the Battery Widget app in the play store not work on a Nexus 4?
Will the widget also display the percentage in the top right corner or just on the main screen? I'll give it a try and see.

Moves Like Jagr is offline  
Old
05-02-2013, 11:59 AM
  #583
optimus2861
Registered User
 
optimus2861's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Bedford NS
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,248
vCash: 500
Top left corner for me on an SGSII. I don't know if that's configurable, I like it there.

optimus2861 is offline  
Old
05-02-2013, 12:16 PM
  #584
Moves Like Jagr
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Kitchener
Posts: 76
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by optimus2861 View Post
Top left corner for me on an SGSII. I don't know if that's configurable, I like it there.
Thanks! I downloaded a battery app it works. Displays in the top left corner.

Moves Like Jagr is offline  
Old
05-02-2013, 04:20 PM
  #585
invictus
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 16,623
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by optimus2861 View Post
I took the plunge and rooted my Galaxy S2 It was a breeze and now I have finally stopped the power-draining pig that is the useless "WiFi Sharing Manager" once and for all!
Any good step-by-step directions for a newb like me to use? I have the Galaxy S2 on Sprint. I am kind of bored with it but can't upgrade until November or so. I figure maybe rooting would be fun.

Any "unbrickably easy" ways to do it? I remember some earlier phones had rooting so easy it was like a one-click thing, basically.

invictus is offline  
Old
05-03-2013, 05:58 AM
  #586
optimus2861
Registered User
 
optimus2861's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Bedford NS
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,248
vCash: 500
The one that applied to my carrier was this:

http://androidforums.com/galaxy-s2-i...tep-guide.html

optimus2861 is offline  
Old
05-03-2013, 09:58 AM
  #587
Stories
Hockey scientist
 
Stories's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 6,524
vCash: 500
Korea Times reporting that LG will make the next Nexus.

http://www.koreatimes.co.kr/www/news...33_134939.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by Korea Times
Currently, the consumer electronics arm of LG Group is working with Internet-giant Google to make another Nexus-branded Google Android smartphone. LG is seeking to expand its partnership in TVs and future businesses, such as Google Glass
I've been happy with my Nexus 4. I'd welcome the next one to be made by LG, too. I hope they can keep the price down and keep the features up

Stories is offline  
Old
05-03-2013, 10:50 AM
  #588
invictus
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 16,623
vCash: 500
So, does the Nexus phones automatically get all the android updates much faster than all other phones? Or is this biggest appeal just less bloatware?

invictus is offline  
Old
05-03-2013, 12:31 PM
  #589
Stories
Hockey scientist
 
Stories's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 6,524
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by invictus View Post
So, does the Nexus phones automatically get all the android updates much faster than all other phones? Or is this biggest appeal just less bloatware?
Essentially, any non-carrier branded Nexus gets each Android update without carrier interference and pretty much on day 1 (usually a few days after the source hits AOSP). Carrier versions (ie. VZW GNex (Toro) and Sprint GNex (Toro Plus)) are delayed by carrier intervention. On top of that, Nexus phones also have unbelievable support in the XDA and mod community since they're really easy to manipulate and the proprietary binaries are easy to find on the net.

Stories is offline  
Old
05-03-2013, 04:33 PM
  #590
invictus
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 16,623
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stories View Post
Essentially, any non-carrier branded Nexus gets each Android update without carrier interference and pretty much on day 1 (usually a few days after the source hits AOSP). Carrier versions (ie. VZW GNex (Toro) and Sprint GNex (Toro Plus)) are delayed by carrier intervention. On top of that, Nexus phones also have unbelievable support in the XDA and mod community since they're really easy to manipulate and the proprietary binaries are easy to find on the net.
That sounds pretty awesome.

invictus is offline  
Old
05-03-2013, 05:10 PM
  #591
awesomo
HARD!
 
awesomo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: location, location
Country: Canada
Posts: 22,680
vCash: 500
I bought a galaxy nexus then the nexus 4. Cannot go to any other phone

awesomo is offline  
Old
05-03-2013, 05:36 PM
  #592
SolidSnakeUS
Registered User
 
SolidSnakeUS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Pipersville, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 32,957
vCash: 500
Finally held and used an S4 a bit. Seriously, the screen difference between that and my phone blew my ****ing mind.

SolidSnakeUS is online now  
Old
05-04-2013, 01:22 AM
  #593
ECL
Very slippery slope
 
ECL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Middle America
Country: United States
Posts: 79,865
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to ECL
Quote:
Originally Posted by Led Zappa View Post
So, ATT is out of stock on the HTC One 64GB and have no estimate on availability. Never even made it to stores.

I guess we know why HTC allowed ATT to have the exclusive. They simply couldn't meet demand. So much for hating on HTC for not allowing you to buy this version on another carrier.
That's not exactly a good thing.

__________________
"Of course giving Sather cap space is like giving teenagers whiskey and car keys." - SBOB
"Watching Sather build a team is like watching a blind man with no fingers trying to put together an elaborate puzzle." - Shadowtron
I still think there should be a section of people at MSG behind the visiting bench, in curly wigs, and dark rimmed glasses, calling themselves the Pidtophiles. - Zamboner
ECL is online now  
Old
05-04-2013, 03:39 AM
  #594
Led Zappa
Tomorrow Today!
 
Led Zappa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Sunnyvale, CA
Country: Scotland
Posts: 37,450
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post
That's not exactly a good thing.
What's your point? Everybody knows HTC is struggling to keep up with the big boys. Getting pull with their MFG's isn't going to come easily.

The point is your over the top *****ing that you can't get the exact phone you want because they aren't offering on your carrier is not because HTC doesn't want to offer it to you. It's because they cant.


Led Zappa is offline  
Old
05-04-2013, 03:51 AM
  #595
Graveland
HONE YOUR CRAFT
 
Graveland's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Sunnyvale
Country: United States
Posts: 12,190
vCash: 50
Yeah i've been trying to purchase an HTC one (64gb) and I've had no luck :|.

Graveland is offline  
Old
05-04-2013, 09:21 AM
  #596
Gonzothe7thDman
Registered User
 
Gonzothe7thDman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Bridgewater, Ma
Country: United States
Posts: 5,665
vCash: 500
If Verizon doesnt release the HTC Droid one, Ill be pulling for the Nexus 5 on VZW.

Ill buy that ish full retail without bloat and no extension of contract thanks.

Gonzothe7thDman is offline  
Old
05-04-2013, 02:46 PM
  #597
DuckJet
Poster of the Year
 
DuckJet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Funkytown
Country: Kazakhstan
Posts: 46,577
vCash: 69
Okay what the hell happened to my S3? I don't run any roms, I haven't done anything crazy to it, and all of a sudden I get this Unfortunately, System UI has stopped message. I can't do ANYTHING to it. I plug it in and my computer has no access to its files so how would I even go about a factory reset?

DuckJet is online now  
Old
05-04-2013, 02:48 PM
  #598
Led Zappa
Tomorrow Today!
 
Led Zappa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Sunnyvale, CA
Country: Scotland
Posts: 37,450
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckJet View Post
Okay what the hell happened to my S3? I don't run any roms, I haven't done anything crazy to it, and all of a sudden I get this Unfortunately, System UI has stopped message. I can't do ANYTHING to it. I plug it in and my computer has no access to its files so how would I even go about a factory reset?
Soft Reset

Whenever the device is frozen or doesn’t respond to commands, simply press and hold the Power button on the device for about 10 to 20 seconds. Eventually, the screen should turn off. You will then be able to turn the device back on and resume normal operation.

or


http://www.hard-reset.com/samsung-ga...ard-reset.html

Led Zappa is offline  
Old
05-04-2013, 03:10 PM
  #599
Sined
The AndroidBugler!
 
Sined's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 6,720
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Led Zappa View Post
Soft Reset

Whenever the device is frozen or doesn’t respond to commands, simply press and hold the Power button on the device for about 10 to 20 seconds. Eventually, the screen should turn off. You will then be able to turn the device back on and resume normal operation.

or


http://www.hard-reset.com/samsung-ga...ard-reset.html
Remember that hard resettingis the equivalent of formatting your PC.

Sined is offline  
Old
05-04-2013, 07:31 PM
  #600
DuckJet
Poster of the Year
 
DuckJet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Funkytown
Country: Kazakhstan
Posts: 46,577
vCash: 69
I took out the battery and it's fine now. I was freaking out. Traditional hard reset method (with the button holding) didn't work because the phone was just straight up frozen. No buttons worked.

DuckJet is online now  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:03 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2015 All Rights Reserved.