HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Non-Sports > Geek Emporium
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie
Notices

Geek Emporium Discuss computers, hardware, software, electronics, video games, internet, etc.

The Official Android Thread Part IX: Glorious Stock Android User Master Race

Closed Thread

Old
03-13-2013, 01:33 PM
SolidSnakeUS

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
People constantly talk about innovation with smart phones, or lack thereof, what do you even mean by saying that? If the gs4 was an aluminum or carbon fiber body or whatever material is nicer than plastic, would that be innovation? Everyone is raving about the HTC One (if it has a good battery, it will probably be the best phone out there) and are kind of hating on the GS4. Without looking at their OS's, what makes the HTC considerably more innovative than the Samsung? Same thing goes for the iPhones, what would apple have to do between their new and old devices to have them be considered innovative?

For me, new phones need to constantly boost the specs of their hardware from iteration to iteration. The 'innovation' between devices should mainly be coming in the form of OS updates. Most phones seem to have stagnated because they've seemingly reached the ideal ergonomic form. The 4-5" rectangle is seen in almost every single phone released, what makes one more innovative than the other?
And you can only design something so much from the norm (aesthetically) before people are divided on either loving it or hating it. So for the highest profit, go by something that is similar in design to the previous model, make it better, faster and stronger, and keep the same market, plus more to those that jump on board.

Old
03-13-2013, 01:58 PM
habs_24x

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidSnakeUS View Post
And you can only design something so much from the norm (aesthetically) before people are divided on either loving it or hating it. So for the highest profit, go by something that is similar in design to the previous model, make it better, faster and stronger, and keep the same market, plus more to those that jump on board.
But thats just it, Samsung would lose marketshare staying with the same look and plastics. Not to mention, Samsung just said they were refreshing the S3 with 1080P displays, wireless charging and bigger battery. Whats the point of the S4, considered the ''Flagship'' model? Im all for a refresh, a Galaxy mini, etc but a flagship phone needs to be premium, not a rehash.

Old
03-13-2013, 02:01 PM
SolidSnakeUS

Quote:
Originally Posted by habs_24x View Post
But thats just it, Samsung would lose marketshare staying with the same look and plastics. Not to mention, Samsung just said they were refreshing the S3 with 1080P displays, wireless charging and bigger battery. Whats the point of the S4, considered the ''Flagship'' model? Im all for a refresh, a Galaxy mini, etc but a flagship phone needs to be premium, not a rehash.
If by the images that it is made by better materials, and possibly in this case carbon-fiber of some sort, that would definitely be an improvement. Not only that, it's pretty stylish to some. Let me put it this way, I have a Droid Incredible 2. The S4 is going to basically destroy my current phone.

Old
03-13-2013, 03:51 PM
Stories
Science!

Quote:
Originally Posted by habs_24x View Post
But isn't the Galaxy S now at the level of an iPhone? Samsung is basically printing money like Apple. Apple only changes their design once every 2 years because they can. Motorola, HTC, and Sony, on the other hand, can't afford to do that. They're all losing major market share.

I don't know. But personally, I couldn't careless what a phone looks like. As long as it has reasonable battery life and lets me customize the daylights out of it. Essentially, I like Nexus(es?).

I don't care about aluminum, I don't care about enclosed backs, I don't care about "premium feel". As long as the device itself is reliable and doesn't constantly break, I'm happy. I'm getting a new phone every year anyway. There are lots of cars out there--not just one that's best for everyone.

Old
03-13-2013, 07:49 PM
Dave

Do samsung gs3's/notes's have a reputation of being unreliable/falling apart/or breaking upon being dropped?

Old
03-13-2013, 09:22 PM
Led Zappa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sined View Post
Looks like Verizon might be getting the HTC One afterall...

http://www.theverge.com/2013/3/13/40...ater-this-year
Damn! Now I might have to wait.

What's the low down on network speeds these days? I get so confused. 4G on Sprint has been crap and I've paid the $10 premium fee for 2 years now without the premium. Is the One gonna be 4G on Sprint and LTE on ATT and Verizon?

Which has the best coverage with the best speeds these days?

If you understood everything I said, you’d be me - Miles Davis

Old
03-13-2013, 10:25 PM
TJ21
Survive Jimbocalypse

Quote:
Do samsung gs3's/notes's have a reputation of being unreliable/falling apart/or breaking upon being dropped?
FWIW, I've dropped my s3 about 3 times on a marble floor (my hand eye needs work) . Every time nothing has broken apart, or come loose. There surprisingly were'nt any scratchmarks either. Granted i got lucky that none of them landed on the screen, but landed on their sides. I know every drop is different, but the phone is by no means flimsy or fragile, despite a plastic outer layer.

Old
03-13-2013, 11:46 PM
Milan the God*

It's officially Samsung Galaxy S IV unveiling day

What I expect:

- 13mp camera
- faster processor
- eye tracking scrolling
- 1080p, 4.99inch screen
- a couple more cool features

Pretty much all the rumored stuff. Would be amazing if it sported a bigger battery, too.

Old
03-14-2013, 12:22 AM
Power Man
Grrrr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milan the Great View Post

What I expect:

- 13mp camera
- faster processor
- eye tracking scrolling
- 1080p, 4.99inch screen

Pretty much all the rumored stuff. Would be amazing if it sported a bigger battery, too.
From what I read today, the eye tracking feature was BS

Old
03-14-2013, 08:21 AM
Sined
The AndroidBugler!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Led Zappa View Post
Damn! Now I might have to wait.

What's the low down on network speeds these days? I get so confused. 4G on Sprint has been crap and I've paid the $10 premium fee for 2 years now without the premium. Is the One gonna be 4G on Sprint and LTE on ATT and Verizon?

Which has the best coverage with the best speeds these days?
Depends on your area.
All HTC Ones will use LTE even the T-Mobile version (I think).

Old
03-14-2013, 08:42 AM
SolidSnakeUS

It is kind of funny watching people complain about the looks of the S4. It looks similar to the previous S3, but I don't think that's a bad thing. It's a bit bigger, looks to be partially made of carbon fiber, much better specs, supposedly a better version of the GPU that the iPhone 5 uses, and so on. I have small hands, but after using the Nexus 7 for a while, I can see how I can work a 4.99" screen just fine.

Old
03-14-2013, 12:10 PM
Jek McPorkins
Red Six

vCash: 110
Quote:
They don't have a bad reputation. Just a lot of naysaying by people who prefer aluminum, glass or kevlar over plastic. People who own S3's and Notes generally love them.

I'd think of Samsung phones much like Blackberries. If you're not using a case and you drop the phone, the back cover may pop off, the battery may go flying, and you might be embarrassed, but you likely only have a scuff on a corner. Which actually protects the innards of the phone by allowing flex and diffusing the impact. Closed-back or non-plastic phones are more likely to be damaged as the innards take the abuse instead.

Old
03-14-2013, 12:52 PM
Stories
Science!

Quote:

What I expect:

- 13mp camera
- faster processor
- eye tracking scrolling
- 1080p, 4.99inch screen

One of the Chinese "leaks" said it should have a 2600mAh battery. In that's true, fabulous. Should have pretty good battery life. The RAZR HD has a 2500mAh (not MAXX which has 3300mAh--Note 2 also is this big).

Old
03-14-2013, 12:57 PM
SolidSnakeUS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stories View Post
One of the Chinese "leaks" said it should have a 2600mAh battery. In that's true, fabulous. Should have pretty good battery life. The RAZR HD has a 2500mAh (not MAXX which has 3300mAh--Note 2 also is this big).
And apparently since it's octo-core, 4 of the cores are used to help save up battery life (not sure how) and the other 4 can be used to full load. Something like that. Just something I read today or yesterday.

Old
03-14-2013, 01:09 PM
Stories
Science!

Quote:
And apparently since it's octo-core, 4 of the cores are used to help save up battery life (not sure how) and the other 4 can be used to full load. Something like that. Just something I read today or yesterday.
Right. 4 A7 cores and 4 A15 cores. So there'll be some kind of dynamic switching between them. Kernel developers are gonna have a field day developing governors for this SoC.

Old
03-14-2013, 01:10 PM
Dave

I've read that the processor might be different depending on what region you live in. I know this has happened in the past comparing Int. devices to Canadian devices, not sure if it also affects people in the US.

Old
03-14-2013, 03:10 PM
Fish on The Sand
Untouchable

Quote:

What I expect:

- 13mp camera
- faster processor
- eye tracking scrolling
- 1080p, 4.99inch screen

what time is the announcement?

Edit: 4pm PDT. Weaksauce.

Old
03-14-2013, 05:56 PM
Dave

5mins until gs4 event starts.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=IDXILsX7_QI

Old
03-14-2013, 06:12 PM
SolidSnakeUS

I think Samsung went balls out on this presentation.

Old
03-14-2013, 06:21 PM
SolidSnakeUS

Give us spot on specs and a release date. C'mon!

Old
03-14-2013, 06:25 PM
Dave

Quote:
Give us spot on specs and a release date. C'mon!
They said it would be launching at the end of april I believe, they didn't give an exact date however, not yet at least.

Old
03-14-2013, 06:29 PM
SolidSnakeUS

**** the end of April...

Old
03-14-2013, 06:34 PM
Ghost in the Shell
#WeLikeOurKarlssons

Ha eraser on photobombs. Pretty cool.

Old
03-14-2013, 06:37 PM
SolidSnakeUS

This thing is just bleeding features. Crazy stuff.

Old
03-14-2013, 06:43 PM
Ghost in the Shell
#WeLikeOurKarlssons

Too bad all these features are linked with Samsung crap like Chaton....

Closed Thread