HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Non-Sports > Geek Emporium
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Geek Emporium Discuss computers, hardware, software, electronics, video games, internet, etc.

The Official Android Thread Part IX: Glorious Stock Android User Master Race

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
03-17-2013, 12:25 PM
  #201
SolidSnakeUS
Registered User
 
SolidSnakeUS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Pipersville, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 30,984
vCash: 500
Either way, still probably going to get it (the S4). Unless the Google Moto X phone comes out by that time. Or would I have to wait till I/O to see the Moto X phone (mid-May)?

SolidSnakeUS is offline  
Old
03-17-2013, 02:43 PM
  #202
Puck
Ninja
 
Puck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Ottawa
Country: Tahiti
Posts: 8,959
vCash: 500
Apple has started a new campaign to tout the iPhone and slam the Samsung S4. It is seen as a very defensive move, Apple is obviously concerned.

http://9to5mac.com/2013/03/16/follow...-slam-android/

http://news.cnet.com/8301-17852_3-57...ung-galaxy-s4/

http://www.theverge.com/2013/3/16/41...ional-campaign

Puck is offline  
Old
03-17-2013, 02:51 PM
  #203
SolidSnakeUS
Registered User
 
SolidSnakeUS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Pipersville, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 30,984
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Puck View Post
Apple has started a new campaign to tout the iPhone and slam the Samsung S4. It is seen as a very defensive move, Apple is obviously concerned.

http://9to5mac.com/2013/03/16/follow...-slam-android/

http://news.cnet.com/8301-17852_3-57...ung-galaxy-s4/

http://www.theverge.com/2013/3/16/41...ional-campaign
It is effective, but yeah, Apple wouldn't do this unless they really did feel threatened. I guess we finally reached a point for Apple that the phone won't just sell anymore because it's made by Apple anymore. If you ask me, the one thing that can get Apple back into the game like crazy would have to be a major UI overhaul. I understand that it works, but my god is it bland now. Nothing exciting about it. I think this is another reason why Android is out in front in terms of its OS. It's trying to be different and ever changing itself for the better.

SolidSnakeUS is offline  
Old
03-17-2013, 03:10 PM
  #204
Dave
( ͡ ͜ʖ ͡)
 
Dave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Laniakea
Posts: 3,737
vCash: 500
The big thing I've seen from apple users (friends), is that they're scared of non-apple products. They all have macbooks, ipods, iphones, and ipads. The view apple (regardless of price) as the best choice in electronics because they're simple, user friendly, and are built well. It's almost as though the view the android OS as some sort of foreign language that they'd have to use and don't want to have to deal with learning it.

However, over the last year or so I have seen a number of long time iphone users have their interests piqued by android phones they see their friends using.

Dave is online now  
Old
03-17-2013, 03:18 PM
  #205
SolidSnakeUS
Registered User
 
SolidSnakeUS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Pipersville, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 30,984
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
The big thing I've seen from apple users (friends), is that they're scared of non-apple products. They all have macbooks, ipods, iphones, and ipads. The view apple (regardless of price) as the best choice in electronics because they're simple, user friendly, and are built well. It's almost as though the view the android OS as some sort of foreign language that they'd have to use and don't want to have to deal with learning it.

However, over the last year or so I have seen a number of long time iphone users have their interests piqued by android phones they see their friends using.
For me, the reason I don't want to use Apple products is because I don't like Apple as a company. I'd say the hate was more so when Jobs was still alive and running the company. Just really, really did not like the guy. And at this point, Apple products (mostly their software end) looks so stale and bland that is the definition of "safe" or possibly "boringly safe" on how iOS is.

SolidSnakeUS is offline  
Old
03-17-2013, 03:29 PM
  #206
Dave
( ͡ ͜ʖ ͡)
 
Dave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Laniakea
Posts: 3,737
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidSnakeUS View Post
For me, the reason I don't want to use Apple products is because I don't like Apple as a company. I'd say the hate was more so when Jobs was still alive and running the company. Just really, really did not like the guy. And at this point, Apple products (mostly their software end) looks so stale and bland that is the definition of "safe" or possibly "boringly safe" on how iOS is.
I was thinking about getting an iPhone around the launch of the whatever phone apple had planned to follow the 4. I think the 3gs and 4 were both desirable phones. But when the 4s and subsequently when the 5 came out I felt that they were too derivative spec/design wise (screen was too small for me) and I felt the OS was boring. The two big things that allowed android to steal my business is that they made very large screened phones and had, imo, a better OS.

Even though people are calling the new galaxy phones derivative, I feel that they're closer to the ideal phone than the iPhone was, so their derivative design really means nothing since I think their phones are close to ideal.

Dave is online now  
Old
03-17-2013, 03:35 PM
  #207
SolidSnakeUS
Registered User
 
SolidSnakeUS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Pipersville, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 30,984
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
I was thinking about getting an iPhone around the launch of the whatever phone apple had planned to follow the 4. I think the 3gs and 4 were both desirable phones. But when the 4s and subsequently when the 5 came out I felt that they were too derivative spec/design wise (screen was too small for me) and I felt the OS was boring. The two big things that allowed android to steal my business is that they made very large screened phones and had, imo, a better OS.

Even though people are calling the new galaxy phones derivative, I feel that they're closer to the ideal phone than the iPhone was, so their derivative design really means nothing since I think their phones are close to ideal.
It took them 5 years to get a bigger screen and since it's almost been 2 years since I've had my 4" Droid Incredible 2, and I really, really need a bigger screen. I don't have very big hands, but after wielding the Nexus 7 for a while, I'm sure I can do very well with an S4.

SolidSnakeUS is offline  
Old
03-17-2013, 05:30 PM
  #208
EvilCorporateLawyer
Very slippery slope
 
EvilCorporateLawyer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Country Roads
Country: United States
Posts: 75,090
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to EvilCorporateLawyer
As a user of both Apple and non-Apple stuff, I would take the looks and simplicity of OSX over Windows any any day of the week (I run both via dual boot on my Macbook Pro) but I would take almost anything from Android (save for the lag) over iOS any day of the week. I have long said my perfect phone would be a 5" iPhone running Android.

__________________
"Of course giving Sather cap space is like giving teenagers whiskey and car keys." - SBOB
"Watching Sather build a team is like watching a blind man with no fingers trying to put together an elaborate puzzle." - Shadowtron
"Used to be only Twinkies and cockroaches could survive a nuke. I'd add Habs to that. I'm convinced the CH stands for Club du Hypocrisy." - Gee Wally
EvilCorporateLawyer is offline  
Old
03-17-2013, 05:32 PM
  #209
EvilCorporateLawyer
Very slippery slope
 
EvilCorporateLawyer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Country Roads
Country: United States
Posts: 75,090
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to EvilCorporateLawyer
FWIW, I think that the Android fanboys are now worse than the Apple fanboys (who are still bad, obviously). Funny how it has been almost a complete 180.

EvilCorporateLawyer is offline  
Old
03-17-2013, 05:36 PM
  #210
Sined
The AndroidBugler!
 
Sined's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 6,561
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post
FWIW, I think that the Android fanboys are now worse than the Apple fanboys (who are still bad, obviously). Funny how it has been almost a complete 180.
I'm not that big a jerk am I

Sined is offline  
Old
03-17-2013, 07:26 PM
  #211
Psycho Dad
Oil Kings
 
Psycho Dad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Sherwood Park
Posts: 10,716
vCash: 610
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post
As a user of both Apple and non-Apple stuff, I would take the looks and simplicity of OSX over Windows any any day of the week (I run both via dual boot on my Macbook Pro) but I would take almost anything from Android (save for the lag) over iOS any day of the week. I have long said my perfect phone would be a 5" iPhone running Android.
Lag, wow. Haven't even thought about lag since buying the Note 2.

Man, those Galaxy S Vibrant days seem like the ancient past.

Psycho Dad is offline  
Old
03-17-2013, 09:20 PM
  #212
EvilCorporateLawyer
Very slippery slope
 
EvilCorporateLawyer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Country Roads
Country: United States
Posts: 75,090
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to EvilCorporateLawyer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sined View Post
I'm not that big a jerk am I
Not at all!!

Most on here aren't.

EvilCorporateLawyer is offline  
Old
03-18-2013, 08:43 AM
  #213
Stories
Hockey scientist
 
Stories's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Bethesda, MD
Country: United States
Posts: 6,343
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post
As a user of both Apple and non-Apple stuff, I would take the looks and simplicity of OSX over Windows any any day of the week (I run both via dual boot on my Macbook Pro) but I would take almost anything from Android (save for the lag) over iOS any day of the week. I have long said my perfect phone would be a 5" iPhone running Android.
Windows isn't really that bad, is it? I find Windows to not be bad at all (fast, stable, smooth) since the days of Vista (that's 2006 now, whoa). Granted, I've always had machines that were at least Core 2 Duo+ with 4gb RAM+. I've never really thought of Windows as all that complex. But I guess that's me. OSX with its constant hot corners always confused me. I always got frustrated using OSX because of that. And if you used your fingers wrong on OSX (eg. random gesture), you'd cause the OS to do something.

Stories is offline  
Old
03-18-2013, 05:53 PM
  #214
Le Tricolore
Boo! Booooo!
 
Le Tricolore's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Montreal
Posts: 28,296
vCash: 500
Not so sure I like this, but it's interesting nonetheless.


Le Tricolore is offline  
Old
03-18-2013, 06:52 PM
  #215
Osprey
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 14,464
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Tricolore View Post
Not so sure I like this, but it's interesting nonetheless.

"Tell your friends. We appreciate any support that you can give us."

In other words... "We need funding. Please start a buzz about our product so that investors will step forward and give us money."

It certainly seems like an interesting idea. The uses beyond traditional input seem the most innovative, though it'll have to catch on and people will have to become comfortable with the traditional input if it's to succeed in other applications.

It's one of those things where you have to try it before you know if you like it or hate it, though. I'm a bit afraid that it's just an adaption of T9 (i.e. 3 letters per button), except that it's arranged according to QWERTY, rather than by alphabetical order. I was happy to get away from T9, so I'm not sure if I'd want to go back to something that's similar. I'd certainly try it before jumping to any conclusions, though.

Osprey is offline  
Old
03-18-2013, 07:01 PM
  #216
Led Zappa
Tomorrow Today!
 
Led Zappa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Sunnyvale, CA
Country: Scotland
Posts: 34,303
vCash: 500

__________________

Youth Movement! Tally Ho...
Led Zappa is offline  
Old
03-18-2013, 07:11 PM
  #217
SolidSnakeUS
Registered User
 
SolidSnakeUS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Pipersville, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 30,984
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Led Zappa View Post
What about the DLXPLUS?

SolidSnakeUS is offline  
Old
03-18-2013, 08:07 PM
  #218
Led Zappa
Tomorrow Today!
 
Led Zappa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Sunnyvale, CA
Country: Scotland
Posts: 34,303
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidSnakeUS View Post
What about the DLXPLUS?
Quote:
However, it looks like HTC deleted the original tweet later, though it's been retweeted plenty of times. Is it possible HTC is trying to rescind its declaration? It hasn't been correcting anyone directing vitriol at Verizon, but perhaps the company doesn't want to burn any bridges. After all, there are several HTC phones on Verizon, and the successor to the Droid DNA, rumored to be the HTC DLXPLUS, should also be available on the nation's largest mobile carrier.
http://www.latinospost.com/articles/...ms-twitter.htm

Led Zappa is offline  
Old
03-18-2013, 08:14 PM
  #219
EvilCorporateLawyer
Very slippery slope
 
EvilCorporateLawyer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Country Roads
Country: United States
Posts: 75,090
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to EvilCorporateLawyer
I thought it was confirmed that the One will be on Verizon a month or two after the main release? Or is that no longer the case?

EvilCorporateLawyer is offline  
Old
03-18-2013, 08:15 PM
  #220
EvilCorporateLawyer
Very slippery slope
 
EvilCorporateLawyer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Country Roads
Country: United States
Posts: 75,090
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to EvilCorporateLawyer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stories View Post
Windows isn't really that bad, is it? I find Windows to not be bad at all (fast, stable, smooth) since the days of Vista (that's 2006 now, whoa). Granted, I've always had machines that were at least Core 2 Duo+ with 4gb RAM+. I've never really thought of Windows as all that complex. But I guess that's me. OSX with its constant hot corners always confused me. I always got frustrated using OSX because of that. And if you used your fingers wrong on OSX (eg. random gesture), you'd cause the OS to do something.
I don't mind Windows, but I just like OSX much, much better. I used to use Windows extensively and I just enjoy being on OSX a hell of a lot more. I'm not doing extensive programming, so for a simple user like me? I think it's a no brainer. But that's just me.

EvilCorporateLawyer is offline  
Old
03-18-2013, 08:20 PM
  #221
Led Zappa
Tomorrow Today!
 
Led Zappa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Sunnyvale, CA
Country: Scotland
Posts: 34,303
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post
I thought it was confirmed that the One will be on Verizon a month or two after the main release? Or is that no longer the case?
I believe something was said that could be interpreted as they were getting it, but it was really a rumor. This was from the official HTC Twitter account. It was removed, so who knows for sure, but the article also points out that they are not saying anything else one way or another and Verizon is getting blasted. Not exactly in HTC's interest since they have phones on that network and don't want to be responsible for negative Verizon press.

Led Zappa is offline  
Old
03-18-2013, 08:30 PM
  #222
EvilCorporateLawyer
Very slippery slope
 
EvilCorporateLawyer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Country Roads
Country: United States
Posts: 75,090
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to EvilCorporateLawyer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Led Zappa View Post
I believe something was said that could be interpreted as they were getting it, but it was really a rumor. This was from the official HTC Twitter account. It was removed, so who knows for sure, but the article also points out that they are not saying anything else one way or another and Verizon is getting blasted. Not exactly in HTC's interest since they have phones on that network and don't want to be responsible for negative Verizon press.
Verizon is such a ****** ****ing company, so it wouldn't surprise me to see them eschew the One. I'll be moving back to Verizon the summer of 2014, so hopefully they don't get worse than they currently are.

EvilCorporateLawyer is offline  
Old
03-18-2013, 08:48 PM
  #223
LickTheEnvelope
6th Overall Blows
 
LickTheEnvelope's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 28,188
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
The big thing I've seen from apple users (friends), is that they're scared of non-apple products. They all have macbooks, ipods, iphones, and ipads. The view apple (regardless of price) as the best choice in electronics because they're simple, user friendly, and are built well. It's almost as though the view the android OS as some sort of foreign language that they'd have to use and don't want to have to deal with learning it.

However, over the last year or so I have seen a number of long time iphone users have their interests piqued by android phones they see their friends using.
In the last 3 months I have inadvertently converted 5 people I know either long time IoS or RIM users to Samsung Galaxy's (my Note 2 does some nice convincing).

I've gotten nothing but thanks from all of them...

LickTheEnvelope is offline  
Old
03-18-2013, 08:49 PM
  #224
LickTheEnvelope
6th Overall Blows
 
LickTheEnvelope's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 28,188
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sined View Post
I'm not that big a jerk am I
Massive jerk Sined.


LickTheEnvelope is offline  
Old
03-18-2013, 08:54 PM
  #225
guinness
those were the days
 
guinness's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Missoula, Montana
Country: United States
Posts: 12,400
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post
I don't mind Windows, but I just like OSX much, much better. I used to use Windows extensively and I just enjoy being on OSX a hell of a lot more. I'm not doing extensive programming, so for a simple user like me? I think it's a no brainer. But that's just me.
I'm the opposite; OSX, like iOS is great, if you can live within Apple's boundaries - on a phone I don't mind, because my uses are specific, and there seems to be an app for just about everything, but on a computer, it's not as simple. Macs seems to run in a 2 year OS/machine cycle, then Apple seems to deem them incapable of particular features, and you have to plunk down more money for a new machine at the 2-3 year mark.

Windows, not so much. Partly helps that most Windows boxes aren't all laptops in different cases, a la iMacs, so if I want to add or upgrade parts, it's a trivial process. MBA's are pretty sweet though, but I could never use a laptop as my primary machine, just too limiting, and Apple seems destined to kill off their desktop options, which is what I'd rather have.

guinness is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:59 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.