HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Character. Oilers Win 6-4. Break Oilers Single Game SOG Record.

Old
02-17-2013, 12:50 AM
BadMedicine*

vCash: 500
Ryan Smyth goes from a pine ride to being a big part of a new Oilers record, this group just ripped one more ghost out of the Oilers closet and rewrote more history, Gagners big night last year was a Dynasty level record and so was tonights shots numbers. He has to be loving this ride as a Veteran.

BadMedicine* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Bryanbryoil
Magician

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlowlyOilersfan View Post
Khabi earned the next start?
Sure, why not? He hasn't played much and maybe Dubnyk could use a little rest since we've relied so heavily upon him thus far.

Replacement*
Checked out

Quote:
Originally Posted by syz View Post
Smyth took two tonight but I didn't actually see either of them. The hold was a phantom call, and I don't think they showed the elbow.
Yeah they were both phantom calls. NHL trying to get him benched again...

Replacement* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Slack
Custom User Title

Quote:
Originally Posted by czar99 View Post
Can Scott oak please go.
I second that motion

Slack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2013, 12:51 AM
PeakMcOil
Loyal To The Oil

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrH4bs View Post

You are the MAN, thank you so much for all the work, have seen you in lots of other threads too.

PeakMcOil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2013, 12:52 AM
Shizuka

Exhilarating comeback, damn!!!! Hall was once again flying out there, and Hemsky's goal -- sick. Great to see Nuge potting his 1st. Attaboy = )

I had to admit when I saw the first goal scored by Colorado, and Whitney standing there in front of the net -- I didn't have a good vibe. But they came back like a house on fire, which they needed. They were hard on the puck and down low, it was incredible to see the system being properly played and the horses swarming all over the place.

Great long weekend!!!!

Shizuka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
frag2

What a game. So many positives.
First line - Hopefully, this is where they break out. Firing all cylinders but never got it going...until today. Kind of iffy about Hall being selfish with the shots but if they cause rebounds, I guess thats OK.

Original Second line - Hemsky was flying. All good all night. Gagner was as well but little less apparent. Harti has cardio issues. He's too slow to keep up and when he exerts effort, seems to gas.

Second Second line - Once Yak was added, the line meshed very well. Then again, that's to be expected since it was the most productive line throughout the year.

Third line - Yakupov didn't fit with this line but when Eager was put in, it just worked. Smyth is still too slow though.

Fourth line - did what was expected, cycle and push the play. Didn't expect too much out of them but they didn't do anything wrong IME. PRV was flying, as he should always, and he actually scored which always helps

Only issues I had with the D were Petry, Whitney, and N. Schultz. Pretty much the weaker links of their respective pairs. Schultz doesn't know how to shoot or clear the puck. Petry loses positioning way too often and Whitney, while "better" than his last outing, is still horrible.

J. Schultz had a quiet night IMO but didn't make any glaring gaffes.

Dubnyk - classic Dubnyk unfortunately. First and Second were weak goals. Fingers crossed he rebounds back like the after the home opener.

Khabi - pretty much Khabibulin in god mode. That save sequence where he was all over was amazing. I think goal he let in was due to the snow spray by the oncoming Avs player messing up his view. Oh well, we still won.

All in all, happy with the game.

There was 1 major issue I have with the game though - *** CBC and their staff. You think SNET is bad, these guys are worse. They don't know if they are cutting into each others speech and they don't even know when they are supposed to have commercial breaks. Brutal. Our tax money pays this ****?!?!!??!

frag2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
McClelland

vCash: 50
When the first line gets out of their bad luck, we win! Props also to pajaarvi for 1 more gwg, hemsky woke up at his best today(wow). Our pp continues to look great,

The problem are how we are gonna valuate this win over the Avs, they gave up 56 shots! Happy anyway, we scored 5 on 5!

McClelland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2013, 12:53 AM
molsonmuscle360

Best game this season by the Oilers. I'd say it would have been 5-1 or something like that if Khabi would have started...Dubs was just having a bad night.

molsonmuscle360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Seedling
Tier 7 fan (ballcap)

Quote:
Originally Posted by czar99 View Post
Can Scott oak please go.
Somebody will just go off on that idiot someday. Such a jerk.

Seedling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Replacement*
Checked out

Big game from Nuge and topline. Best topline performance of the year.

Hemsky of old tonight.

Lost in this Smyth with two brilliant assists and what this player brings you in bottomsix rotation.

Gotta mention as well that its 3-0, Gagner wins the faceoff on the PP, then deftly tips the puck over to Hemsky for our first goal. I saw that right away. Took the NHL 3 periods to make the correction.
Also Gagner with the brilliant play on the tying goal.

Replacement* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
McCupofOil
Save Us McJesus

Cool comeback but lets be real. It was against a severely depleted Colorado team but nevertheless, good on the Oilers for not giving up and coming at Colorado in waves, all lines.

We've all been really hard on Smyth and rightfully so but he really stepped up tonight when the team needed him. 2 terrific passes to Hemsky and Paajarvi for 2 huge goals and he was really pushing the play. Good to see some vintage Smyth even if it's only for one night.

I was especially glad to see the big smile on Paajarvi's face, it's so easy to root for that kid. 2 game winning goals too. Go Magnus.

Hall has been ridiculously good most of this season. If only he would cash in on even a few of his many chances, his point totals would be ridiculous, best player on the team IMO. Nuge is officially back, he has been playing pretty well most of the season but has really started to step up the last several games. I think (hope) that this is the game they needed to kick start their offense.

Full credit to Hemsky. He has been looking like his old self and has been one of our best forwards most of this season at least offensively.
Yakupov seemed rejuvenated playing with Gagner and Hemsky late. Good on Krueger for recognizing that he needed a jump start and playing him with those two.

Khabibulin is an unsing hero. Came in and stabilized this game when it could have easily gotten away and make some huge saves late.

So overall, happy with the comeback but realize the opponent tonight puts the victory in perspective. Lets hope that they build on this because they'll need to be on their game against some tough teams at home coming up and on the dreaded road trip.

McCupofOil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
dustrock
Too Legit To Quit

We'll see if we build anything from this. This is the type of game where all the criticism looks stupid.

As far as trading Hemsky, does anyone really want him gone? I think it's a case of him being our most valuable asset.

This game showed the best of Gagner, but still concerned about him defensively.

dustrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Byakin1

Tonight was another proof as to who the 'engine' of this team is. It's Taylor Hall.

Byakin1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2013, 12:54 AM
cyril*

Three 5 on 5 goals tonight, plus the empty netter. Good start.

cyril* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2013, 12:54 AM
MrH4bs

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeakOil View Post
You are the MAN, thank you so much for all the work, have seen you in lots of other threads too.
np! Glad to help

MrH4bs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2013, 12:55 AM
czar99

I feel like I just chased a pick pocket for six blocks and got my wallet back.....yah for the vcash.

czar99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
oilers2k10
Yak Don't Back Down

at 10:01, I nearly called it..

"Oilers will win this game if they keep shooting like that..7-4 oilers, book it"

what can you say, I'm good at these predicting things..

oilers2k10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
AlowlyMcOilersfan
Comrade

In all seriousness, 56 shot/game is unsustainable.

AlowlyMcOilersfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
PeakMcOil
Loyal To The Oil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
Big game from Nuge and topline. Best topline performance of the year.

Hemsky of old tonight.

Lost in this Smyth with two brilliant assists and what this player brings you in bottomsix rotation.

Gotta mention as well that its 3-0, Gagner wins the faceoff on the PP, then deftly tips the puck over to Hemsky for our first goal. I saw that right away. Took the NHL 3 periods to make the correction.
Also Gagner with the brilliant play on the tying goal.
It was a good play, and Gagner is certainly answering his critics, but it's a pretty big stretch to call it a brilliant play.

PeakMcOil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Wheathead
Formally a McRib

Send a message via ICQ to Wheathead
The difference between Smyth and Whitney? Smyth got mad and played better. Whitney? Whines and pouts about being benched.

One of these players no longer needs to be on this team. Guess which one?

Wheathead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2013, 12:56 AM
czar99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Joe Sakic View Post
Looks like Oilers are going to win the Stanley Cup this year.
This period.

czar99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2013, 12:57 AM
Expatriate

WOW, what a come back

Expatriate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2013, 12:58 AM
Byakin1

Honorable mention to Fistric. Quietly very solid and kept Whitney from getting embarrased

Byakin1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2013, 12:58 AM
molsonmuscle360

So out of those 56 shots how many did Taylor Hall get? 30ish?

molsonmuscle360 is offline   Reply With Quote