HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2013 Leafs Trades/Proposals/Signings: Version VI - Just trade O'Reilly Already!

Closed Thread

Old
02-17-2013, 01:31 AM
Schenn
In Rod We Trust

vCash: 816
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Knight View Post
We've been trying to get a number 1 C for a while now to no avail. No one gift wraps a number 1 C. You either draft one yourself or you sign one.

All I know is the same argument you're using for Jake Gardiner, who I'm a fan of, can be applied to Ryan O'Reilly here, except I'll go on and say that he's been an impact player in the NHL since he was drafted.

The intangibles that he possesses can not be taught. Let's take his playmaking skills for example and I'll quote a recent Hockey Prospectus article.

The fact is, that the sense I get from us that we need top end talent, but we want to give peanuts for them. The reality is that while Sherman is a duma**, he's not that big of a duma** either.

We were willing to go all in for Brad Richards who is up there in age and is struggling this year with the Rangers. Top that off with the fact that the guy signed a 9 year contract to boot. Would you want to do that with any available C in the free agent market?

O'Reilly might not belong in the same elite group as guys like Crosby, Stamkos, Malkin, Getzlaf, Sedin, Staal and Thornton but he belongs in the category of players like Dustin Brown, Ryan Callahan and David Backes.

What you'll get with Reilly at the end is untapped potential on the offensive end and superior defense than any player in the elite group I mentioned above.

Thank You.

02-17-2013, 01:35 AM
Sonny21
Registerd User

vCash: 500
Quote:
We've been trying to get a number 1 C for a while now to no avail. No one gift wraps a number 1 C. You either draft one yourself or you sign one.

All I know is the same argument you're using for Jake Gardiner, who I'm a fan of, can be applied to Ryan O'Reilly here, except I'll go on and say that he's been an impact player in the NHL since he was drafted.

The intangibles that he possesses can not be taught. Let's take his playmaking skills for example and I'll quote a recent Hockey Prospectus article.

The fact is, that the sense I get from us that we need top end talent, but we want to give peanuts for them. The reality is that while Sherman is a duma**, he's not that big of a duma** either.

We were willing to go all in for Brad Richards who is up there in age and is struggling this year with the Rangers. Top that off with the fact that the guy signed a 9 year contract to boot. Would you want to do that with any available C in the free agent market?

O'Reilly might not belong in the same elite group as guys like Crosby, Stamkos, Malkin, Getzlaf, Sedin, Staal and Thornton but he belongs in the category of players like Dustin Brown, Ryan Callahan and David Backes.

What you'll get with Reilly at the end is untapped potential on the offensive end and superior defense than any player in the elite group I mentioned above.
Very well said.

Old
02-17-2013, 01:36 AM
Smif

Quote:
Originally Posted by charliolemieux View Post
HE is also a forward who got outscored by a d-man. So you C'mon?????

And he was 19yrs old for half the year as a rookie. Since age is such a big deal. Gards came up through the US university system. Which means less hockey than ROR would have played in the OHL.

D-men take longer yadda yadda yadda

Bottom line is RoR for Gards = bad idea
Last year ROR outscored Gards by 25 points and is a year younger. Colorado played a defensive system while Toronto played a run and gun offensive system. Compare apples to apples man.

Old
02-17-2013, 01:37 AM
Phion Keneuf
Top Dawg Ent.

Quote:

Great post, I agree completely.

Old
02-17-2013, 01:42 AM
charliolemieux
rsTmf

Quote:

Brown and Callahan and Backes?

RoR would need to make about 200 more hits per season to be compared to those three.

Old
02-17-2013, 01:43 AM
charliolemieux
rsTmf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smif View Post
Last year ROR outscored Gards by 25 points and is a year younger. Colorado played a defensive system while Toronto played a run and gun offensive system. Compare apples to apples man.
Ummm 3rd year as opposed to rookie year.. hello???

Old
02-17-2013, 01:47 AM
Schenn
In Rod We Trust

Quote:
Ummm 3rd year as opposed to rookie year.. hello???
Well you compared their rookie years. O'Reilly was 18, Gardiner was 21. That makes a difference as well.

Old
02-17-2013, 01:51 AM
Schenn
In Rod We Trust

2013 Leafs Trades/Proposals/Signings: Version VI - Just trade O'Reilly Already!

Hopefully O'Reilly is traded to the Leafs.

Quote:

Quote:
According to the refined version of our new statistic "passes", which is meant to estimate how many times a player has set up a shot on goal, O'Reilly was the league's 12th best playmaker in the league last season. He finished the season with 292 passes, or 3.6 passes per game, and 1.55 passes for every shot of his own, both roughly equivalent to Pavel Datsyuk—that's the second time we've favorably compared the two!

O'Reilly might not belong in the same elite group as guys like Crosby, Stamkos, Malkin, Getzlaf, Sedin, Staal and Thornton but he belongs in the category of players like Dustin Brown, Ryan Callahan and David Backes (and those guys are key cogs for winning teams, probably the most important players).

Last edited by Schenn: 02-17-2013 at 02:19 AM.
Old
02-17-2013, 01:51 AM
Schenn
In Rod We Trust

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh....php?t=1352511

Next thread.

Old
02-17-2013, 01:53 AM
charliolemieux
rsTmf

Old
02-17-2013, 01:54 AM
Superstar

Yeah, they need a dman -- 55 shots on net tonight by the Oilers.

Old
02-17-2013, 01:55 AM
charliolemieux
rsTmf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schenn View Post
Hopefully O'Reilly is traded to the Leafs.
we really need a puke smilie around here.

Quote:
Well you compared their rookie years. O'Reilly was 18, Gardiner was 21. That makes a difference as well.
YA and so does one being a d-man and coming up through the us university system and the other being a forward and coming up through the OHL.

I find gards 30tps as a 21yr old rookie on defense 10x more impressive than Rors 26pts as a 19/20yr old sophmore playing forward.

Old
02-17-2013, 01:58 AM
Superstar

Quote:

YA and so does one being a d-man and coming up through the us university system and the other being a forward and coming up through the OHL.

I find gards 30tps as a 21yr old rookie on defense 10x more impressive than Rors 26pts as a 19/20yr old sophmore playing forward.
Yeah, no to trading Gardiner -- Franson perhaps.

I can't believe all the hype ROR is getting, the panel on HNIC in Canada said he would have been drafted behind Tavares if redone again. Boy oh boy, what a bunch of clowns.

Old
02-17-2013, 02:02 AM
goonx

51 pt one season wonder boy.

Old
02-17-2013, 02:02 AM
charliolemieux
rsTmf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superstar View Post
Yeah, no to trading Gardiner -- Franson perhaps.

I can't believe all the hype ROR is getting, the panel on HNIC in Canada said he would have been drafted behind Tavares if redone again. Boy oh boy, what a bunch of clowns.
It has gotten way out of control.

Old
02-17-2013, 02:06 AM
Superstar

Quote:
It has gotten way out of control.
For sure. Colorado is asking for a roster player, prospect(s) and a pick -- and he still demands $5 mil plus.

Old
02-17-2013, 02:12 AM
Schenn
In Rod We Trust

Quote:
Originally Posted by goonx View Post
51 pt one season wonder boy.
55 points, 21 years old, captain material, incredible defensively. I know ROR is getting over hyped, but there is good reason for it. If he came to Toronto, he would be a fan favorite.

Old
02-17-2013, 02:16 AM
rdawg1234

Lmao at the ROR hype

so Colorado fans consider him their #2 C at best(most say #3 behind stats and Duchene) yet this guy is so good out of nowhere?

Seriously did someone say he has better defensive game than the elite #1 C's? yet he's a minus player the past two years(with teammates that were well into the plus area.)

He doesn't hit that much either, so I don't get where that's from.

He's no bergeron, I just don't get the hype behind this guy.

There is zero reason to trade a guy like Gardiner for him when Gardiner++ can net you a better centre potentially.

Old
02-17-2013, 02:17 AM
charliolemieux
rsTmf

Quote:
55 points, 21 years old, captain material, incredible defensively. I know ROR is getting over hyped, but there is good reason for it. If he came to Toronto, he would be a fan favorite.
More likely he'd be the whipping boy while everyone cry's about Gardiner putting up 50pts a season feeding Duchene and Landeskog in Colorado.

Old
02-17-2013, 02:17 AM
van Hockey

vCash: 50
Quote:
Serious question, and don't lie, you'll just be cheating yourself.

How many times have you seen Ryan O'Reilly play last season against a team not located in Toronto? (was only one game anyway).

Old
02-17-2013, 02:21 AM
rdawg1234

Quote:
Show me the stats that prove he's incredible defensively. from what I've gathered he doesn't hit much, and his linemate had a +20 +/- while he had a -1, that's a little fishy.

Old
02-17-2013, 02:23 AM
Superstar

Quote:
I know he's older, but Bozak had 47pts in 73 games last year -- pretty good, eh?

Old
Schenn
In Rod We Trust

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brody View Post
Serious question, and don't lie, you'll just be cheating yourself.

How many times have you seen Ryan O'Reilly play last season against a team not located in Toronto? (was only one game anyway).
4-5.

Part of the reason why I am a big ROR supporter is because I have watched him multiple times considering he is the only NHL talent to come from my high school. I have watched him skate in person through out the summer in the area, as well as followed his OHL career more than the average fan would have because I was familiar with who he was.

All I have ever heard is good things about his family, and the excellent hockey training program his father runs in the area.

I was hoping the Leafs would somehow draft him in 09.

(I'm not going to pretend I know him personally, because I don't)

Old
Kyle Doobas*
#groovystats

vCash: 159
thread needs more birddog

Old
JMcLeaf
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

vCash: 619
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdawg1234 View Post
Show me the stats that prove he's incredible defensively. from what I've gathered he doesn't hit much, and his linemate had a +20 +/- while he had a -1, that's a little fishy.
last season he lead the league in takeaways and had low a giveaways total

Closed Thread