HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Snow trying to extend Streit

Old
02-17-2013, 07:10 AM
CREW99AW

vCash: 500
Snow trying to extend Streit

xECK29x posted the info on the Isles board. So long as the isles don't give Streit a NTC or NMC, I'm in favor of giving him a 2-3 yr extension.

http://mobile.newsday.com/inf/infomo...4661881&part=0
Streit's agents at CAA and Islanders general manager Garth Snow have had some preliminary talks on an extension, Newsday has learned. The Islanders still are painfully thin on NHL -ready defensemen, so Streit, who has had some struggles in his own zone, still would be welcome to return on a short-term deal beyond this season.

"The fact is I like it here. We have a really good team," said Streit, who entered Saturday night's game leading Islanders defensemen in scoring (3-3-6 in 13 games) while carrying a team-worst minus-9 rating. "I've been here five years and I have a really good role, I love the room and I can tell the improvement is here the last few years. It's maybe 5 percent we're missing to break through. Overall, I'd like to stay."

Last edited by caley: 02-17-2013 at 01:34 PM.
CREW99AW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2013, 10:04 AM
dookers9

What - Snow doesn't think that Visnovsky will stick long term?

Streit's been a steady rock for the Islanders. That perennial brutal +/- is less a function of poor defensive play and obviously more a statement at how under-achieving the team has been during his years there on Long Island.

Age is creeping up, though.

dookers9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2013, 10:17 AM
CREW99AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by dookers9 View Post
What - Snow doesn't think that Visnovsky will stick long term?

Streit's been a steady rock for the Islanders. That perennial brutal +/- is less a function of poor defensive play and obviously more a statement at how under-achieving the team has been during his years there on Long Island.

Age is creeping up, though.
If Streit would accept a 2-3 yr deal, it would let the isles ease De Haan or Donovan into his role and he could be moved in 1-2 seasons.

Vis has played well. Isles would probably like to extend his deal, but it sounds as if he loved playing for his hometown team and will be heading back there after this season. It'll be interesting to see, if the isles are anywhere close to the 8th seed as the playoffs near, whether they'll move Vis or hold onto him, hoping too sneak in.

CREW99AW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2013, 10:24 AM
blinkman360
Back to Basics

Extending Streit could end up being a mistake. We should be using his money as well as Visnovsky's($7.1M total in salary) to bring in a PMD who is also reliable defensively. That would give us five defensemen(whoever that new PMD is, Hamonic, MacDonald, Carkner and Strait) which would leave one open spot for one of our NHL-ready defense prospects(Donovan, deHaan, Reinhart, etc.).

I really like Streit but it is clear that he's not the same defenseman he was 2 or 3 years ago. Hopefully this is just some sort of rust, but since he played throughout the lockout I'm not so sure that's the case.

blinkman360 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2013, 10:28 AM
IslesRock4
Global Moderator
Fantasy Hockey Talk

I don't really want him back. Especially if he continues to keep the C away from Tavares. That would piss me off more than anything.

IslesRock4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2013, 10:31 AM
blinkman360
Back to Basics

Quote:
Originally Posted by IslesRock4 View Post
I don't really want him back. Especially if he continues to keep the C away from Tavares. That would piss me off more than anything.
Well I'm assuming even if he's re-signed that he'll give the C to Johnny. IMO, the Captaincy could be affecting his play. Streit doesn't really seem like the Captain type.

blinkman360 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2013, 12:00 PM
boredmale

Given his age 3 years/3M a year. Islanders fans get on his case to much for being put into situations that he shouldn't be playing. Simple fact the guy is an offensive dynamo on the PP and it's not his fault that our defense as a whole could use major improvement in other areas.

boredmale is offline   Reply With Quote