HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Florida Panthers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

It's Time to Tank: Who Gets Moved

Closed Thread

Old
04-01-2013, 11:05 AM
I May Be Wrong
I May Be The Stig

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to I May Be Wrong
Quote:
Originally Posted by Markstrom Rules View Post
I agree with this. We are ideally situated to take advantage of this if we choose, and can basically take our pick of the litter. Too bad we couldn't unload Versteeg before he got injured though.
I don't mean to pile on your post MR -- this is more meant to just talk about Versteeg in general. Why has the mood changed on him? He was a pretty big offensive player for us last season. I am for writing this season off for a lot of players -- not even on our team. It was a funky season to begin with. I don't see why we want to unload him. He is one of the few natural finishers we have, and although he isn't the most consistent player on both sides of the ice, he picks the puck nicely from players and has a decently high IQ offensively. He floats, yeah, but what can you do? I wouldn't even call his contract bad if he scores 20-25 a season and hits 50-55 points. Not at all.

Old
04-01-2013, 11:14 AM
adam graves
Panthers 17yr sth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Booootthh View Post
I don't mean to pile on your post MR -- this is more meant to just talk about Versteeg in general. Why has the mood changed on him? He was a pretty big offensive player for us last season. I am for writing this season off for a lot of players -- not even on our team. It was a funky season to begin with. I don't see why we want to unload him. He is one of the few natural finishers we have, and although he isn't the most consistent player on both sides of the ice, he picks the puck nicely from players and has a decently high IQ offensively. He floats, yeah, but what can you do? I wouldn't even call his contract bad if he scores 20-25 a season and hits 50-55 points. Not at all.
Love you MR, but agree with this.

Old
04-01-2013, 11:27 AM
PanthersHockey1
Avs Bandwagon

Quote:
Kris versteeg is any interesting case imo. Circa December 2011 when it was disclosed he had an hip injury it explained his lack of production. When kris versteeg is effective he is playing north south, when he is injured he plays east west.

I think we need to see a healthy versteeg again before making a judgement. I think the reason why he floated many of the past games he played was due to injury.

Old
04-01-2013, 11:34 AM
PantherboyHTR
An Old School Cat

Quote:
Versteeg is hard to gauge at this point. He wasn't just in a slump this season, he has been in a slump since the 2nd half of last season.
He is noticed too many times by many here floating around the ice, very nonchalant.

I think if I were DT, I would hold on to him this summer, unless an offer knocks my socks off. The main reason is his trade value is near an all-time low right now. Also we can always use scoring on this team. Maybe putting his on a line with a young guy next season like Hubs or Bjugstad will put some energy and emotion back into his game.

I expect Versteeg to come into the year fully healthy and in better shape, along with a better team attitude. No one likes to be questioned.

Old
04-01-2013, 11:52 AM
CanadianPanther
One Patient Panther

vCash: 50
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=419580

On The Defensive?

Aside from discussing a potential Tyler Bozak for Roberto Luongo trade, the Toronto Sun also mentions that the Maple Leafs are searching for help on their blue line.

The Coyotes' Keith Yandle, Panthers' Dmitri Kulikov, and Flames' Jay Bouwmeester are a few of the names linked to Toronto on the rumour mill, according to the Sun.

This is coming from the Toronto Sun which is horrible reporting but If i was Tallon, Kulikov is worth more than a straight up trade for Bozak in the long run. I'd rather try and sign Bozak as a FA in the off season if he's still available.

I'd be surprised if Leafs didn't land Luongo or Miller this year along with a solid defenseman, they would go from a first round exit team to a potential contender and I HATE THE LEAFS WITH A PASSION.

Old
04-01-2013, 12:05 PM
RainingRats

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianPanther View Post
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=419580

On The Defensive?

Aside from discussing a potential Tyler Bozak for Roberto Luongo trade, the Toronto Sun also mentions that the Maple Leafs are searching for help on their blue line.

The Coyotes' Keith Yandle, Panthers' Dmitri Kulikov, and Flames' Jay Bouwmeester are a few of the names linked to Toronto on the rumour mill, according to the Sun.

This is coming from the Toronto Sun which is horrible reporting but If i was Tallon, Kulikov is worth more than a straight up trade for Bozak in the long run. I'd rather try and sign Bozak as a FA in the off season if he's still available.

I'd be surprised if Leafs didn't land Luongo or Miller this year along with a solid defenseman, they would go from a first round exit team to a potential contender and I HATE THE LEAFS WITH A PASSION.
There's no chance in hell Tallon would trade Kulikov for a free agent to be. If he's going to Toronto it's going to be for JVR who isn't going to be traded. Tallon said he was keeping Kulikov on the air with Kypreos and Doug MacLean

Old
04-01-2013, 12:11 PM
SoupyFIN
Lu ♥

Quote:
Originally Posted by PanthersHockey1 View Post
Eklund speculated this and I think he may be right that the panthers could end up being buyers or at least over summer i can see another brian campbell like contract (This time a forward) who is overpaid and underperforming end up coming to the panthers for little to nothing going the other way because many teams will have to fit under the shrinking cap.
Looked at capgeek for potential players, starting from which team is closest to the upper limit this year:

Flyers: Briere
Canucks: He-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named
Wild: Heatley
Rangers: Gaborik, Richards
Sharks: Havlat, Burish, Boyle
Hawks: Frolik, (Olesz & Montador likely bought out)
Habs: Bourque, (Kaberle buyout)
Pens: -
Bolts: Malone
Sabres: Leino
Bruins: -
Caps: Ward
Leafs: (Komisarek buyout)
Wings: -
Devils: Hedberg
Canes: Jokinen
Jets: Jokinen
Ducks: -
Stars: Robidas
Avs: -
Preds: Kostitsyn
Jackets: -
Sens: -
Oilers: Horcoff, Eager
Isles: -
Yotes: -
Blues: Elliott

Of the said players, I'm only interested in:

Gaborik, Burish and Malone, if it's a swap for Upshall or Kuba (I'm not sure how the +35 contract rule is with amnesty buyouts..?).

Hedberg (again, not sure about the +35 rule), if it's a swap for Clemmer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PanthersHockey1 View Post
Kris versteeg is any interesting case imo. Circa December 2011 when it was disclosed he had an hip injury it explained his lack of production. When kris versteeg is effective he is playing north south, when he is injured he plays east west.

I think we need to see a healthy versteeg again before making a judgement. I think the reason why he floated many of the past games he played was due to injury.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PantherboyHTR View Post
Versteeg is hard to gauge at this point. He wasn't just in a slump this season, he has been in a slump since the 2nd half of last season.
He is noticed too many times by many here floating around the ice, very nonchalant.

I think if I were DT, I would hold on to him this summer, unless an offer knocks my socks off. The main reason is his trade value is near an all-time low right now. Also we can always use scoring on this team. Maybe putting his on a line with a young guy next season like Hubs or Bjugstad will put some energy and emotion back into his game.

I expect Versteeg to come into the year fully healthy and in better shape, along with a better team attitude. No one likes to be questioned.
I'd put this way:

A) He's traded during the summer, most of the people around here are happy that floater is gone.

B) Tallon keeps him midway through next season, Steeg keeps on floating, he's traded and most of the people around here are happy that floater is gone.

C) Tallon keeps him, he gets back to his 2011 start of the season form and stays with the team, most of the people around here are happy he's back to his old self.

I'd be fine with any of those options.

Old
04-01-2013, 12:21 PM
Markstrom Rules
Sup

Quote:
Originally Posted by PantherboyHTR View Post
Versteeg is hard to gauge at this point. He wasn't just in a slump this season, he has been in a slump since the 2nd half of last season.He is noticed too many times by many here floating around the ice, very nonchalant.

Exactly. It's not just this season. Versteeg has been playing this way for quite some time now. I'm not letting him off the hook because of "injuries". If Weiss wasn't let off the hook, then why should Versteeg be?

Old
04-01-2013, 01:32 PM
Coolburn

Send a message via AIM to Coolburn Send a message via MSN to Coolburn Send a message via Yahoo to Coolburn
Quote:
Goc filled a needed role at the time and he did a great job. We NEED Weiss or a replacement brought from outside to be a stopgap for the #1 job for a couple years. And we also have two young centers, Matthias and Shore, who need playing time. Bjugstad will also be competing with Shore in camp. Goc has to go. Even if he plays on the 4th line, his salary would be excessive for a 4th line center. That money can be better utilized.
I kinda agree that we're at a point now where Goc would be a luxury as a 4th liner. We would probably be able to get a very good return for him at the deadline in a few days IMO. Signing a 4th line center shouldnt be too hard even if one of the young guys like Shore or Bjugstad dont fill that role next yr.

And I agree we need Weiss or someone else like him as a stopgap until guys are further along in their development. Even if we draft a guy like MacKinnon, I would rather bring him on slowly as well and let him have some time on a lower line before relying on him too much. Plus he could potentially play RW as much as center immediately so that adds to his versatility and playing him on a 2nd line to start out.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AwesomePanthers View Post
We could sign Bjugstad, and use him in 7-8 NHL games without taking a year off his ECL. Or are you guys thinking AHL?
Due to the lockout shortened season, the limit is 6 games I believe and then that takes a yr off of his ELC. I think it would be a mistake to use up a yr of Bjugstad on this season. But playing him 5 games in the NHL wouldnt kill him at all. He could even sign an ATO with San Antonio for a few games and then we could sign him fully to an ELC and play him our last 5 games.
Quote:
I agree with this. We are ideally situated to take advantage of this if we choose, and can basically take our pick of the litter. Too bad we couldn't unload Versteeg before he got injured though.
We should be smart about it though too. There are other teams that can do this too like Winnipeg who should take advantage of their cap space to fill a need while paying a lower price. The guys that probably will be available are guys on longer term contracts who we really dont want IMO. We need a guy who can fill in short term while our prospects develop and there probably wont be too many like that because it would be easier for teams to just buy those guys out.

The only issue I have with Versteeg is now he's overpaid by a lot. He wouldnt be so bad on a contending team like we hope to have in a couple yrs as a 3rd liner. But at $4.5M thats too much for a 3rd line IMO. Tallon probably overpaid to keep him here when he probably should have done a 1 yr deal with him to keep him around and then see where we were at. Though that probably would've made him a UFA after this season so I guess it was a catch-22. We made a mistake that we're gonna have to live with for quite a while IMO.

Old
04-01-2013, 02:00 PM
Coolburn

Send a message via AIM to Coolburn Send a message via MSN to Coolburn Send a message via Yahoo to Coolburn
With Columbus putting one of its 1st rounders on the block as available for scoring help, I would slightly consider moving Fleischmann at this point. Getting a possible top 15 pick in addition to our top 5 pick would be pretty awesome IMO (I'd ask for the Rangers pick right now with how they are playing).

Old
04-01-2013, 02:15 PM
Boothinator
@MrBoothinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolburn View Post
I kinda agree that we're at a point now where Goc would be a luxury as a 4th liner. We would probably be able to get a very good return for him at the deadline in a few days IMO. Signing a 4th line center shouldnt be too hard even if one of the young guys like Shore or Bjugstad dont fill that role next yr.

And I agree we need Weiss or someone else like him as a stopgap until guys are further along in their development. Even if we draft a guy like MacKinnon, I would rather bring him on slowly as well and let him have some time on a lower line before relying on him too much. Plus he could potentially play RW as much as center immediately so that adds to his versatility and playing him on a 2nd line to start out.
Due to the lockout shortened season, the limit is 6 games I believe and then that takes a yr off of his ELC. I think it would be a mistake to use up a yr of Bjugstad on this season. But playing him 5 games in the NHL wouldnt kill him at all. He could even sign an ATO with San Antonio for a few games and then we could sign him fully to an ELC and play him our last 5 games.
We should be smart about it though too. There are other teams that can do this too like Winnipeg who should take advantage of their cap space to fill a need while paying a lower price. The guys that probably will be available are guys on longer term contracts who we really dont want IMO. We need a guy who can fill in short term while our prospects develop and there probably wont be too many like that because it would be easier for teams to just buy those guys out.

The only issue I have with Versteeg is now he's overpaid by a lot. He wouldnt be so bad on a contending team like we hope to have in a couple yrs as a 3rd liner. But at $4.5M thats too much for a 3rd line IMO. Tallon probably overpaid to keep him here when he probably should have done a 1 yr deal with him to keep him around and then see where we were at. Though that probably would've made him a UFA after this season so I guess it was a catch-22. We made a mistake that we're gonna have to live with for quite a while IMO.
I would like to sign Derek Roy from Dallas.

According to reports they have stopped the contract talks with Roy because he asked too much..
I would rather throw 5 million at him than at Weiss IMO

He is a UFA next season

Old
04-01-2013, 02:23 PM
IceManCat
A New Era

Quote:
With Columbus putting one of its 1st rounders on the block as available for scoring help, I would slightly consider moving Fleischmann at this point. Getting a possible top 15 pick in addition to our top 5 pick would be pretty awesome IMO (I'd ask for the Rangers pick right now with how they are playing).
I wouldn't mind this either if true

Old
04-01-2013, 02:31 PM
adam graves
Panthers 17yr sth

Quote:
Flash is a consistent scorer, of good character and always giving 100%. Don't see a reason at all to trade him for draft picks; as DT said its not like 2 yrs ago where we are cleaning house.

We need on 7/1 to have a winning roster, not a hope and prayer, or club red wont be the only empty sections.

Old
04-01-2013, 02:33 PM
SoupyFIN
Lu ♥

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by IceManCat View Post
I wouldn't mind this either if true
I'll agree with you guys.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boothinator View Post

According to reports they have stopped the contract talks with Roy because he asked too much..

He is a UFA next season
5 million isn't going to be enough, at this pace he's the biggest thing in UFA and he & his agent knows it.

Old
04-01-2013, 02:35 PM
Coolburn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boothinator View Post

He is a UFA next season
I would easily pass on Roy, too small, too much of a playmaker too. Also while his cap hit is $4M, his salary is currently $5.5M this season so signing him will probably cost more than that IMO. Also, my guess is he wants a long term contract in the 5-6 yr range. I dont feel confident that Roy will continue to score if you sign him for the term he's going to want. Heck he only had 44 pts last season in a full yr and then if you prorate this season, he would have scored around 65 pts which isnt much better than Weiss.

Personally, we gotta go after Bozak at this point and sign him. At least if we sign him to a longer deal, we know we can push him down to another line and he'll still fit in fine. His size is ideal, he's got a balanced game and would be a stopgap until our prospects are more along in development. Perfect for our team IMO both short term and long term.

Old
04-01-2013, 04:40 PM
JonathanHuberdoh
Maybe.....next year?

Send a message via AIM to JonathanHuberdoh
I don't know what Columbus would want for one of their 1st rounders, but I don't want to give up someone like Kopecky or Flash for one. I just don't think it's worth it at this point in our development. We are trying to be a good team along with growing our talent. Trading a proven 25 goal scorer in the NHL for potential isn't a good idea at this stage IMO. I don't see the need for another 1st rounder especially considering the depth in this draft and that our 2nd rounder will be a low 30's pick.

I also don't want to move Goc. As I've said before, his value won't be that high, and he is a great two-way player. Having him as a 4th line center is great IMO because it's depth. This team has a history of injuries and once again we want to move our depth for picks? It's time we start letting the picks we've made over the last 3 years starting showing up on our roster and fighting these guys for spots instead of just having them handed to them at training camp. Goc is a wonderful center to have on the 4th line and I will be unhappy if we move him.

Old
04-01-2013, 04:44 PM
JonathanHuberdoh
Maybe.....next year?

Send a message via AIM to JonathanHuberdoh
Quote:
I would easily pass on Roy, too small, too much of a playmaker too. Also while his cap hit is $4M, his salary is currently $5.5M this season so signing him will probably cost more than that IMO. Also, my guess is he wants a long term contract in the 5-6 yr range. I dont feel confident that Roy will continue to score if you sign him for the term he's going to want. Heck he only had 44 pts last season in a full yr and then if you prorate this season, he would have scored around 65 pts which isnt much better than Weiss.

Personally, we gotta go after Bozak at this point and sign him. At least if we sign him to a longer deal, we know we can push him down to another line and he'll still fit in fine. His size is ideal, he's got a balanced game and would be a stopgap until our prospects are more along in development. Perfect for our team IMO both short term and long term.
I don't understand everyone's obsession here with Bozak. I live in Toronto and I see a lot of Leafs games. He is a product of his wingers. He really isn't that great of a player. His defensive game is lacking. I think he'll command big money and I don't think he's worth it.

I do expect Toronto to re-sign him though.

Old
04-01-2013, 05:02 PM
CanadianPanther
One Patient Panther

Quote:
Quote:

We would have 3 picks in the first 40 spots, that would be alot like what Tallon had before. Goc with our 3rd or 4th round pick could command a 1st rounder. It'll be hard to let Goc go but as others have said, he served his contract well here.

We would need a replacement Center with Weiss probably leaving, Roy or Bozak could be the stopgap 1st line guy with a 2-3 year contract. We may have to overpay but it would make sense if it's a short term while Bjugstad/Shore/Trochek and hopefully Mackinnon are taking time to develop.

Imagine those guys along with Matthias as our Center depth for years to come. Sign me up.

If Weiss and Goc are gone, Roy/Bozak or some other Center will be needed ASAP. I wouldnt be mad if Tallon could somehow trade for or sign one of those two guys to a 3year deal at $16 million if it allows for our young Centers to develop. That's the type of money Weiss would probably want anyhow, somewhere around $5 - 6.5 million a year.

Old
04-01-2013, 05:15 PM
CanadianPanther
One Patient Panther

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonathanHuberdoh View Post
I don't understand everyone's obsession here with Bozak. I live in Toronto and I see a lot of Leafs games. He is a product of his wingers. He really isn't that great of a player. His defensive game is lacking. I think he'll command big money and I don't think he's worth it.

I agree with your both your posts above but Tallon's hands are tied with the ? surrounding Weiss. I wouldn't ideally like Goc to go either but if we could get another 3 picks in the top 40, Tallon would have no excuse in not completing his blueprint after this draft.

Tallon could then draft a top 5 forward, a potential 17th-30th overall defenseman with our new pick and another forward with our 2nd round 31st-36th overall pick. It's inticing for sure but maybe you're right and we should just be happy with 2 picks in the top 40, hold onto some of the utility players and grow the team together for a couple years.

Old
04-01-2013, 06:14 PM
KWGoon

If the Panthers had an owner/owners who didn't impose their own artificial salary cap, and a team president who actually makes decisions based on hockey success, this would be one of the most desirable destinations for FAs, especially forwards.

1) Young talent with more young talent yet to come -- check
2) Expected to get better each year -- check
3) Lacking an established (Hubie hopefully to be there soon though) big time forward right now -- check
4) If player development is done right, yearly playoff team -- check
5) If player development is done really right, possible top 3 team year after year for quite some time -- check

Any other team GM outside of Penguins, Bruins, and Chicago would love to be in DT's shoes right now. Their options would be wide open. EXCEPT for the stingy know nothing owners and the clueless low-IQ president.

Old
04-01-2013, 08:40 PM
Coolburn

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonathanHuberdoh View Post

Actually I'm assuming that the Leafs sign Weiss so they won't have the money or desire to sign Bozak. I'm not under any illusion as to who Bozak is either. We have some decent wingers here for him to feed off of also (Flash, Huby, Mueller, Steeg). I think he's gonna be more affordable than Weiss and could fit here longer than Weiss too. He's just a stopgap though until we are sure Bjugstad or whoever in our pipeline is that solid #1 guy.

Old
04-01-2013, 08:51 PM
Coolburn

Quote:
Originally Posted by KWGoon View Post
If the Panthers had an owner/owners who didn't impose their own artificial salary cap, and a team president who actually makes decisions based on hockey success, this would be one of the most desirable destinations for FAs, especially forwards.

1) Young talent with more young talent yet to come -- check
2) Expected to get better each year -- check
3) Lacking an established (Hubie hopefully to be there soon though) big time forward right now -- check
4) If player development is done right, yearly playoff team -- check
5) If player development is done really right, possible top 3 team year after year for quite some time -- check

Any other team GM outside of Penguins, Bruins, and Chicago would love to be in DT's shoes right now. Their options would be wide open. EXCEPT for the stingy know nothing owners and the clueless low-IQ president.
You do realize that our payroll is over $57M for a bottom dwelling team right now? That cap is going down next yr to $64.3M so its not like they are being cheap like you are making it out to be. If it was some other owner like we had previously n Cohen, he would've ordered a sell off of the big salary players already.

They need the fan turnout to actually afford to spend more and that's not happening unless we are PERENNIAL winners, which isn't happening right now (#4 on your list). When we are that, I'm sure our owners will spend more. Yormark doesn't have anything to do with the hockey moves so at least we don't have to worry about his decisions there. When we are #5 on your list, Yormark won't matter to any of us anyway cause we will just be basking in the glow of the on-ice success.

Old
04-01-2013, 09:16 PM
HockeyRulez
Lets Go Panthers!!!

The tank looks like its in serious jeopardy.... Avs keep losing and the Flames, well you all know whats going on there.....

Old
04-01-2013, 09:24 PM
Beezer
I'm Da Better Goalie

Can we stop winning games already! Just our luck win when we want to lose! Although we are still mathematically in it there are just way too many teams to leap frog so it cannot be done. How are teams letting us beat them? Come to play and and keep us at the bottom please! And Craparelli, you better not win us another game like you did the other day!

I'd rather suffer 12 more games and reap the benefits of adding Mac & Bjugs to the team next season!

Old
04-01-2013, 10:27 PM
KWGoon

Quote:
You do realize that our payroll is over $57M for a bottom dwelling team right now? That cap is going down next yr to $64.3M so its not like they are being cheap like you are making it out to be. If it was some other owner like we had previously n Cohen, he would've ordered a sell off of the big salary players already.
According to CapGeek, Panthers are 20th in spending. That means they are below average, which by my definition, PARTICULARLY in the context of how well DT has set the team up for the next several years, equals being cheap.
Quote:
They need the fan turnout to actually afford to spend more and that's not happening unless we are PERENNIAL winners, which isn't happening right now (#4 on your list). When we are that, I'm sure our owners will spend more. Yormark doesn't have anything to do with the hockey moves so at least we don't have to worry about his decisions there. When we are #5 on your list, Yormark won't matter to any of us anyway cause we will just be basking in the glow of the on-ice success.
Yormark sets the tone for earnings by the corporation, and he's tone deaf. Thus it affects the franchise's future adversely. Also, I disagree that fans need to turn out FIRST to fund the possibility that the team may subsequently succeed, buoyed by the influx of cash it generates. No. Real hockey team owners realize that they have to put a consistently winning product on ice FIRST, and people will come after that. The owners take the risk, and if they do well, they will reap the rewards. It's quite simple.

This team got a major break that -- given all the injuries -- this is a short season. It's almost a freebie for them to tank one more time. But starting next season they must start to deliver or they'll lose the interest of the people and the young core. Thus spending the extra $5M or so is actually quite critical.

Closed Thread