HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Ryan O'Reilly Headed to Offer Sheet or Trade? (Part 3)

Closed Thread

Old
02-16-2013, 09:24 PM
spiny norman
Global Moderator
Dinsdale !!!

vCash: 500
Ryan O'Reilly Headed to Offer Sheet or Trade? (Part 3)

Please continue.

Part 1: http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh....php?t=1343795

Part 2: http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh....php?t=1349357

Old
02-16-2013, 09:29 PM
R S
Renegade Stylings

vCash: 0
What's the breakdown for offer sheets again? What would the Avs get if a team signed him for 5 million?

Old
02-16-2013, 09:30 PM
Kershaw

Imo, O'Reilly will be a Leaf in the next few days with Gardiner and something minor heading the other way.

Old
02-16-2013, 09:30 PM
Freudian
No Guenin, No cry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade Stylings View Post
What's the breakdown for offer sheets again? What would the Avs get if a team signed him for 5 million?
$4,701,132 to $6,268,175 First-, second-, and third-round pick

I can't see it happening though. Avs would match unless there was a good chance the first rounder will be a very high one.

Old
02-16-2013, 09:33 PM
Crisp Breakout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freudian View Post
$4,701,132 to $6,268,175 First-, second-, and third-round pick

I can't see it happening though. Avs would match unless there was a good chance the first rounder will be a very high one.
Not only that, but it does sound like ROR won't sign one. He can do us one last solid before hitting the road...

Old
02-16-2013, 09:34 PM
cgf

Just cause there's a lot of confusion about why Ryan isn't signed gunna quote myself from the previous thread:

O'Reilly wants a top 6 role so he can put up the numbers to earn a big deal, that's why he's demanding so much money from the Avs. It forces them to either trade him someplace where he will be a top2 C, play him with the better wingers to validate paying him that much, or they pay him the big bucks to make up for not getting the chance to produce as much as he could elsewhere.

Avs management are way more concerned with the precedent this negotiations sets for future deals with Dutchy, Landy, EJ and Varly, than they are with paying ryan 4.5+, that's why I'm fully convinced they were hoping for an offersheet in that range, that way they could get ryan locked up while being able to say they were forced into the deal and didn't cave in future negotiations.

Old
02-16-2013, 09:34 PM
CobraAcesS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kershaw View Post
Imo, O'Reilly will be a Leaf in the next few days with Gardiner and something minor heading the other way.
So they wouldn't do MDZ without a plus, but they are going to take Gardiner and something minor?

Old
02-16-2013, 09:35 PM
Rhaego

Quote:
I don't see why the Avs make that trade. This season looks like its going nowhere fast and you might as well hold out for the best offer you can find

Old
02-16-2013, 09:36 PM
Carlzner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kershaw
Absolutely.

If Sather did indeed call the Avs with Del Zotto being offered in return, both sides are idiots. Sather for offering a top pair 2-way d-man and the Avs for asking more to pile on.
Del Zotto is not close to being a top pairing defenseman right now.

Old
02-16-2013, 09:38 PM
Crisp Breakout

Stop quoting that Kershaw fella... Anyone who was around the Nash threads should know better.

Old
02-16-2013, 09:39 PM
CobraAcesS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlzner View Post
Del Zotto is not close to being a top pairing defenseman right now.
He is a hell of a lot more proven than Gardiner and hes improved defensively enough to be a #2. Plenty of Rangers fans will tell you hes been one of their best defenders this year AHEAD of McDonagh.

I would happily play MDZ on the top pair next to EJ.

Old
02-16-2013, 09:40 PM
Carlzner

Quote:
Originally Posted by CobraAcesS View Post
He is a hell of a lot more proven than Gardiner and hes improved defensively enough to be a #2. Plenty of Rangers fans will tell you hes been one of their best defenders this year AHEAD of McDonagh.

Of course they'll say that when they're trying to sell him to you.

And I don't think MDZ and EJ on the same pairing is a good idea... EJ isn't exactly a rock defensively, to put it lightly, and MDZ is much further from being one than EJ.

Old
02-16-2013, 09:42 PM
TheJuxtaposer
#Shorks

vCash: 1379
Quote:

MDZ is definitely worth more than Gardiner, but I don't think MDZ straight up would be a good deal for the Avs.

Old
Rhaego

Quote:

And I don't think MDZ and EJ on the same pairing is a good idea... EJ isn't exactly a rock defensively, to put it lightly, and MDZ is much further from being one than EJ.
Its better than Hunwick

Old
CobraAcesS

Quote:

I have to question your judgment with this statement, actually when MDZ was brought up for O'Reilly Rags fans didn't want to make the deal straight up. Not exactly trying to sell something there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJuxtaposer View Post
MDZ is definitely worth more than Gardiner, but I don't think MDZ straight up would be a good deal for the Avs.
Let me clarify this... I wouldn't trade O'Reilly for MDZ straight across either. Arguing MDZ vs Gardiner and MDZ potentially in a #2 role as an offensive defender (For Colorado).

Old
02-16-2013, 09:43 PM
Goulet17

I just watched the Hotstove on the DVR.

If you are being honest, the segment was all over the board on ROR and it is hard to understand the full picture.

Friedman (who should have spoken more) said the Avs and Rangers talked about a deal in which the Avs would send one of their D with ROR to NYR for MDZ, but that Colorado wanted more in addition to MDZ for ROR and a defenseman.

I have serious doubts about this rumor because MDZ is represented by Newport and the Avs have long running bad blood with Newport and Meehan. I think that bad blood contributed to the current situation with ROR. Lacroix put a moratorium on dealing with Meehan and his group for years, they simply wouldn't deal with their clients.

Healy discussed that teams are mulling an offer sheet, but he admitted that Colorado would probably match any offer. He discussed that maybe teams will try to structure an offer in such a way that it has a poison pill (i.e., backloaded, large signing bonus). But given the Avs ample cap space, wealthy owners, and history, this seems like an extremely unlikely scenario.

Healy was talking as if it would have to be structured for compensation with 1st, 2nd, and 3rd round picks, so it would be a significant offer.

PJ Stock then went on to say that he thinks ROR is really overrated, and Friedman responded that many GMs view him as a first line center.

Healy noted and Kevin Weekes concurred, that if the 2009 NHL draft was held today, Tavares would be the first overall pick and ROR would be second. I thought this was pretty over the top, but whatever.

Old
02-16-2013, 09:43 PM
Championship*
#Joel&Ellie

Wouldn't trade MDZ for him straight up let alone add. Pass on the Howson, I mean Sherman.

Old
02-16-2013, 09:44 PM
Kershaw

Quote:
So they wouldn't do MDZ without a plus, but they are going to take Gardiner and something minor?
Friedman said the Rangers wanted a defenseman with O'Reilly, but they balked at the counter offer given by the Avs. My guess is that Elliot/Barrie was requested by Slats.

And yes, Gardiner is severely underrated here. He was a top 4 d-man, is young and shoots LH and plays the LH side. Perfect d-partner of the future for the Avs top pairing. Also fits description of offensive d-man the Avs are requesting. It just seems so logical that a trade will happen with the Leafs and Avs.

Quote:
Avs do not want another center for O'Reilly. Want an offensive D-man or proven forward/plus pick
-Dater

To
O'Reilly

To
Gardiner
2nd/MacArthur

Old
02-16-2013, 09:46 PM
shadow1

Quote:

Not when the Avalanche got him, but he is now. However, the offensive ability he arrived to Colorado with has vanished off the face of the Earth.

Old
02-16-2013, 09:47 PM
Goulet17

Quote:
Friedman said the Rangers wanted a defenseman with O'Reilly, but they balked at the counter offer given by the Avs. My guess is that Elliot/Barrie was requested by Slats.

And yes, Gardiner is severely underrated here. He was a top 4 d-man, is young and shoots LH and plays the LH side. Perfect d-partner of the future for the Avs top pairing. Also fits description of offensive d-man the Avs are requesting. It just seems so logical that a trade will happen with the Leafs and Avs.

-Dater

To
O'Reilly

To
Gardiner
2nd/MacArthur
I think if the Avs offered ROR and either Elliott or Barrie in addition to MDZ, I think you can understand why the Avs asked for more. It seemed more like Sather was trying to fleece the Avs and he became upset when the Avs countered.

Old
02-16-2013, 09:47 PM
Kershaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockies94 View Post
I don't see why the Avs make that trade. This season looks like its going nowhere fast and you might as well hold out for the best offer you can find
How is the season going nowhere? The Avs are still very much in the mix of things right now. They can still make the playoffs.

Old
02-16-2013, 09:48 PM
Deen

I suspect that Calgary moving Jones to waivers might have something to do with ROR.

Old
02-16-2013, 09:48 PM
Freudian
No Guenin, No cry

Please, not another debate about the abilities of EJ Johnson. It's been done to death already. Just realize that the chance of him being added to O'Reilly in any trade has zero chance of happening.

Quote:
How is the season going nowhere? The Avs are still very much in the mix of things right now. They can still make the playoffs.
Missing EJ, Wilson, Landeskog, Downie and O'Reilly. Avs aren't making the playoffs. They might have had a chance with a full team.

Old
02-16-2013, 09:49 PM
Goulet17

Quote:
Downie is out for the year. And due to concussions, EJ and Landeskog are out indefinitely. Ryan Wilson is also out for an extended period with an ankle injury.

It is a lost year. The Avs are simply trying to tread water for a while.

Old
02-16-2013, 09:49 PM
Crisp Breakout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goulet17 View Post
Healy noted and Kevin Weekes concurred, that if the 2009 NHL draft was held today, Tavares would be the first overall pick and ROR would be second. I thought this was pretty over the top, but whatever.
That seems... like overrating. Over Duchene, Hedman, and OEL? I mean I'd put him on the ice over Duchene when the game's on the line right now, but I don't buy it long term.

Closed Thread