HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must use the RUMOR prefix in thread title. Proposals must contain the PROPOSAL prefix in the thread title.

Jarmo might trade Jack Johnson.

Old
02-19-2013, 09:22 AM
Anderson55

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by calcal798 View Post
Terrible idea. JJ provides something very similar to what Phaneuf provides to the Leafs. He will be a great building block for this team going forward.
lol whats that an overpaid Dman prone to turnovers and defensive lapses?

Anderson55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 09:28 AM
seafoam
Evening / Morning

vCash: 50
Johnson will only be traded in a package for a better defenseman.

seafoam is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 10:04 AM
Anderson55

Quote:
Originally Posted by seafoam View Post
Johnson will only be traded in a package for a better defenseman.
That makes Zero sense, if hes going to be traded it will be for a package of picks, prospects or young roster players.

Old
02-19-2013, 10:13 AM
seafoam
Evening / Morning

What I'm saying is Johnson won't be traded, the BJ's have no one to replace his minutes.

Old
02-19-2013, 10:15 AM
seafoam
Evening / Morning

If they get Jones or Murray can step into a top four role as early as next year, then I can see Johnson being traded for prospects and picks, but right now with no heir apparent, I don't see him getting dealt.

Old
02-19-2013, 10:56 AM
TOGuy14

Quote:
What I'm saying is Johnson won't be traded, the BJ's have no one to replace his minutes.
Is filling minutes really of high importance to a team that is in competition for the 1st overall pick?

If you want to make a case for JJ staying in Columbus it better be based on more than "he plays a lot of time per night" When you are going into a massive rebuild, every pick / prospect helps

TOGuy14 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 11:06 AM
seafoam
Evening / Morning

Alright, I just don't think he has a lot of value.

Old
02-19-2013, 11:20 AM
Beukeboom Fan

Quote:
If they get Jones or Murray can step into a top four role as early as next year, then I can see Johnson being traded for prospects and picks, but right now with no heir apparent, I don't see him getting dealt.
Quote:
Alright, I just don't think he has a lot of value.
NO offense - but you need 6 d-men. Add in - in the VAST majority of cases, d-men aren't ready to carry the load as teenagers. It's REALLY rare for d-men to be able to anchor a blueline until at LEAST 22+, which means that Murray and Seth Jones (potentially) MIGHT be ready in 2016-2017. Add in, it's REALLY helpful to have a vet who can help ease them into that role. From everything I've heard, Johnson is a very good teammate who has REALLY embraced his role on a rebuilding team.

Also, he's locked up to a great contract for a LONG time. Given that CLM is unlikely to be able to attract the upper tier UFA's, that's a HUGE benefit.

Just from my perspective, JJ catches a lot of grief for having a reputation as being bad defensively. I haven't seen that since he's come to CLM, and I think he'd have very strong value if it came to a trade. He's obviously not a "perfect" d-man, but given the fact that he's logging a TON of minutes on the worst team in the league, there are going to be pretty rough stats.

I think that the thread title is terrible. Obviously, Jarmo "might" trade anyone on the Jackets roster. I don't see how JJ is any more likely to be dealt than anyone else. The thought that the Jackets should trade everyone that has value is ludicrious. All that guarantees is that they get brutalized for an extended period of time and they don't have framework to add their talented prospects too. You get an Islanders type situation where the young guys are just thrown to the wolves. That's not good for development IMO.

Beukeboom Fan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 11:50 AM
Mayor Bee
\/me_____you\/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horseradish View Post
He's a bad d-man. I literally wouldn't trade anything for him, and the Oilers have a lousy d-corps.

Every metric I've seen concerning his defensive performance is staggeringly bad. If it weren't for his point production, he wouldn't be an NHLer. He's basically Andy Delmore with a better draft pedigree.
That is completely absurd.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anderson55 View Post
That makes Zero sense, if hes going to be traded it will be for a package of picks, prospects or young roster players.
Young roster player...like a 26-year-old defenseman signed to a long-term contract who logs 28 minutes a night in all situations?

Mayor Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 12:02 PM
Nizzy

Trade him get another 1st in this years draft ..4 picks in the first round and Murphy is the pipe line ..Jackets will have a solid future and depth

Nizzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 12:23 PM
vipernsx
Flatus Expeller

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSGJ View Post
I think Jarmo will try to trade JJ to a GM who buys into Johnson's reputation and don't look at the underlaying stats. An incompetent GM in other words.
Hmm lets see, Gainey, gone, Sutter, coaching in LA, Burke, gone, Howsen, gone, Don Waddell, nope, Lowe, bumped out, Neil Smith, not for a long time....

Maybe Darcy Regeir?

In the salary cap world, a GM's ability to draft well and manage his club's players has been exposed and most franchises have made changes where necessary.

Rather than an incompetent GM, maybe a team in desparate need of a RH, PMD. PMD are hard to come by which is why the JJ, Zidlickys and MABs of the word have found jobs. Maybe Detroit would have interest as they struggle to fill the gaping hole left by Lidstrom. Maybe LA and their banged up blueline takes him back. Perhaps a swap with Goligoski. Or during the offseason grab a team looking to blow things up and start over. Though I can't imagine him playing any better than in Columbus which is as close as he's going to get to his hometown.

vipernsx is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 01:31 PM
Anderson55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayor Bee View Post

Young roster player...like a 26-year-old defenseman signed to a long-term contract who logs 28 minutes a night in all situations?
i was replying to the poster who said that the only way they would him would be for a better dman

Old
02-19-2013, 02:26 PM
Hans Landaskog

CBus would have to add in a JJ for ROR trade.

Hans Landaskog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 03:08 PM
Matt Foley
Regular Season Stud

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSGJ View Post
First of all what kind of GM is Jarmo Kekäläinen?

http://www.sbnation.com/2013/2/13/39...ger-introduced

Secondly, what kind of player is Jack Johnson according to the advanced stats guys?

http://www.coppernblue.com/2012/2/24...on-is-not-good

It isn't just Derek Zona on Copper n' Blue who is not a fan. I read several advanced stats bloggers and they all agree about Jack Johnson, which makes me think that Jarmo would agree as well.

I think Jarmo will try to trade JJ to a GM who buys into Johnson's reputation and don't look at the underlaying stats. An incompetent GM in other words.

The reason this might not happen is that JJ is the biggest name on a very depleted team and that he was the return on a big trade. It wouldn't be a popular trade, but Jarmo ought to do it for the best of the team.
If a GM wants to offer Jarmo an insanely strong return for JJ, then I'm sure he will listen and pull the trigger on it if he feels it's in the best interests of the team. Otherwise, I think he will realize that he can't go Full Kiddy Corps on the blueline and will need to keep someone with experience and decent leadership skills around until they can lead themselves.

Since his arrival here, JJ has embraced the challenge that is the Columbus Blue Jackets and has said and done all the right things to this point. Stats aside, I like his attitude and wish that everyone on the team approached the game the way he does.

The Jackets desperately need scorers and with the blueline being the main source of talent within the org, I wouldn't be shocked to see some defensemen moved. That said, the one I'd least like to see moved would be JJ.

Matt Foley is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 03:49 PM
Habitant le colon
Un partisan

Is a Subban - JJ a possibility?

Habitant le colon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 03:55 PM
candyman82

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans Landaskog View Post
CBus would have to add in a JJ for ROR trade.
Hahahahaha!

Ryan O'Reilly is a second line center with one good season under his belt. Try again.

candyman82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 05:12 PM
chunkbox

nah thats ok i like JMFJ right where he is ...

unless...

we could snag another lottery pick ...

chunkbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 05:26 PM
me2
Callng out the crap

vCash: 93
I was sad when the CBJ traded Carter to LA, not because LA got Carter but because they got rid of JJ.

me2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 06:47 PM
Horseradish

Quote:

No. It's not. He's god awful defensively. Lots of bloggers have done some advanced analysis of how badly his team/linemates suffer when he's on the ice. And in different ways and different metrics too. He's putrid defensively.

He doesn't score enough to make his defensive liabilities worth it. He's barely an NHL d-man, even despite his scoring ability. The team would immediately improve if they got a functional NHL d-man who could play 15+ minutes a night for him. I'm dead serious.

Horseradish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 06:52 PM
Horseradish

Quote:
Originally Posted by candyman82 View Post
Hahahahaha!

Ryan O'Reilly is a second line center with one good season under his belt. Try again.
...and makes his team better at both ends.

CBJ are a net minus for obtaining JJ. Let alone gifting Carter for him. Lombardi must have squealed like a little girl when Howson accepted his friendly-joshing proposal.

That trade set CBJ back another couple of years at least. At least the return for Nash addressed a number of needs nicely.

I'd seriously rather have Marc-Andre Bergeron on my team than have JJ.

Horseradish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 07:11 PM
Fro
Cheatin on CBJ w TBL

Quote:
No. It's not. He's god awful defensively. Lots of bloggers have done some advanced analysis of how badly his team/linemates suffer when he's on the ice. And in different ways and different metrics too. He's putrid defensively.

He doesn't score enough to make his defensive liabilities worth it. He's barely an NHL d-man, even despite his scoring ability. The team would immediately improve if they got a functional NHL d-man who could play 15+ minutes a night for him. I'm dead serious.
Quote:
...and makes his team better at both ends.

CBJ are a net minus for obtaining JJ. Let alone gifting Carter for him. Lombardi must have squealed like a little girl when Howson accepted his friendly-joshing proposal.

That trade set CBJ back another couple of years at least. At least the return for Nash addressed a number of needs nicely.

I'd seriously rather have Marc-Andre Bergeron on my team than have JJ.
you really haven't watched him play since leaving LA...he was a net plus player with CBJ last year and has been most consistant DMan for them this year amongst a rash of injuries...he eats big minutes and plays in all areas well...

Fro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 08:48 PM
Bender
TheHockeyProspector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nizzy View Post
Trade him get another 1st in this years draft ..4 picks in the first round and Murphy is the pipe line ..Jackets will have a solid future and depth
Jesus Murphy?

Who are you talking about?

Bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 09:50 PM
Mayor Bee
\/me_____you\/

Quote:

You've clearly forgotten the first rule of analysis: "is it true?" The second rule is "what does it mean?" You overlook the fact that in 21 games with Columbus last year, he had 14 points and was a +5. That was after leaving a playoff team and going to the bottom of the league.

That's wonderful that you're dead serious. Everyone is allowed to be completely, 100% wrong on something and yet be too blind or prideful to admit it. It doesn't affect me one bit.

Here, you either passed right by or else ignored what I already said in this thread. So you don't make the same mistake twice, here it is again.

Quote:
Not only that, but has any CBJ fan criticized Johnson's defense since he arrived? I think it's safe to say that we run the gamut from numbers-rejecters to part-time Sabremetricians (like me), and our experiences in hockey range from simply watching for a couple years to being active in the game in some context for a long time...yet not one of us is critical of Johnson in the defensive zone. Yeah, he has his moments, but it's not like he's Phil Housley out there.

Hell, we've seen our share of defensemen who were just brutal in their own zone...Bryan Berard, Andy Delmore, Scott Lachance, Grant Clitsome, Anton Stralman, Christian Backman all come to mind. It's not like we have no idea what below-average defense looks like.

Last edited by Mayor Bee: 02-19-2013 at 09:57 PM.
Mayor Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 10:54 PM
Redgren Grumbholdt

Quote:
Originally Posted by candyman82 View Post
Hahahahaha!

What has Jack Johnson done exactly? Solid point totals, but hes been a complete defensive liability for the majority of his career.

Redgren Grumbholdt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 10:57 PM
MJMazzarone
#LGD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anderson55 View Post
It won't be for picks. Doesn't Columbus own like...three first round draft picks? Why would they need draft picks?

I don't think they should trade him at all. They would go from Carter to Johnson to a return that would more then likely worse and more of a downgrade. Keep Johnson. He's not only a servicable defenseman but a fan favorite as well. Columbus needs talent but I don't see how trading Jack Johnson makes sense right now.

MJMazzarone is offline   Reply With Quote