HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

12-13' Prospects Thread Version XV: Rielly Wins WHL Eastern Conf. Dman of the Year

Closed Thread

Old
02-25-2013, 11:28 AM
Interactif

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Passenger View Post
Should be interesting to see how the Marlies shape up next year.
Biggs, Percy, Leivo, Broll and MacWilliam should make it, and players such as McKegg, Ross, Devane, should also be given expanded roll. I really like Scott Sabourin of the Generals, undrafted could be signed as a Free Agent, just not sure if there is a spot for him on the Marlies. Team should be younger and tougher, next year.
Sabourin and Petgrave both! Worth a flyer on them, Biggs, Percy, Nilsson, and Leivo all with great developmental years. Sparks is interesting also, the 2011 draft may be one of our best.

Old
02-25-2013, 12:30 PM
FreeBird
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikebel111 View Post
U love to make up fake facts.
Kadri has a much better skill level than mika,
Ur just a leaf hater
Come on now Zbad is 19 at the same age Kadri was playing for the Knights, he also scored the winning goal in the WJHC to give Sweden the Gold Metal at 18, big time player with lots of upside.

Old
02-25-2013, 12:32 PM
ErnieLeafs
LOVE & LIVE the Game

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeBird View Post
Come on now Zbad is 19 at the same age Kadri was playing for the Knights, he also scored the winning goal in the WJHC to give Sweden the Gold Metal at 18, big time player with lots of upside.
Nowhere near as gifted with talent as Kadri.

He's got a bigger body, and faster on his feet, but doesn't touch the natural ability of Kadri. If Kadri had Mika's size and strength, he would've been a top 4 player in that draft.

Old
02-25-2013, 12:35 PM
Dark Passenger

Quote:
Thats like handing out the stanley cup after 2 games. Lets come back in several years and see where these players are. MZ looks a real good young player, but I'm more than happy with what I see in Kadri. He's been our most dangerous forward on a consistent basis this year.

Old
02-25-2013, 12:35 PM
FreeBird
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grant View Post
http://www.nhl.com/ice/boxscore.htm?id=2012020256

According to NHL.com Kadri had 0 turn overs and 1 takeaway (same for Zibanejab).
How many times did you see him cough up the puck in the Sens end or fail to keep it in the Zone. Multitude of times, he was a turn over machine. Of course he's frail and it's hard to win one on one battles, he makes some great moves but doesn't have the strength to follow through and complete the play.

Old
02-25-2013, 12:36 PM
FreeBird
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew311 View Post
So if you had to choose, you would take the Sens roster from last night over the Leafs roster?
Including the injured list, in a heart beat.

Old
02-25-2013, 12:37 PM
ErnieLeafs
LOVE & LIVE the Game

Quote:
How many times did you see him cough up the puck in the Sens end or fail to keep it in the Zone. Multitude of times, he was a turn over machine. Of course he's frail and it's hard to win one on one battles, he makes some great moves but doesn't have the strength to follow through and complete the play.
I believe he is either tied for the lead in points, or second on the team. He follows through on plenty of plays.

Old
02-25-2013, 12:43 PM
FreeBird
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErnieLeafs View Post
Nowhere near as gifted with talent as Kadri.

He's got a bigger body, and faster on his feet, but doesn't touch the natural ability of Kadri. If Kadri had Mika's size and strength, he would've been a top 4 player in that draft.
That's right and Naz will never be as big and strong as Zbad the difference will only become greater as time goes on.

Old
02-25-2013, 01:06 PM
ErnieLeafs
LOVE & LIVE the Game

Quote:
That's right and Naz will never be as big and strong as Zbad the difference will only become greater as time goes on.
Marty St. Louis, Mike Ribeiro, Theo Fleury, Cory Conacher, Nazem Kadri... All not very big and strong, but seem to be doing/have done just fine.

Old
02-25-2013, 01:11 PM
Dark Passenger

Quote:
Ask Emelin how frail Kadri is

Old
02-25-2013, 01:15 PM
ErnieLeafs
LOVE & LIVE the Game

Quote:
Ask Emelin how frail Kadri is
Or Paul Martin.

Old
02-25-2013, 01:28 PM
caribouPINE

Whats up with Brad Ross this year?

He was great for Portland last season. Had a solid playoffs. Thought he could be a contributor for the Marlies- though I knew with the NHL lockout, he wasn't really going to have a chance.

Is he in the ECHL now? Looks like a bit of a lost year for him. Hopefully he can regroup and makes an impact in the A next season.

Old
02-25-2013, 01:40 PM
Drew311
Play Me

Quote:
Including the injured list, in a heart beat.
That's not what I asked. You were so impressed with the young Senators on Saturday, funny how you wouldn't take their current roster over the Leafs.

Old
02-25-2013, 01:43 PM
ErnieLeafs
LOVE & LIVE the Game

Quote:
Originally Posted by caribouPINE View Post

He was great for Portland last season. Had a solid playoffs. Thought he could be a contributor for the Marlies- though I knew with the NHL lockout, he wasn't really going to have a chance.

Is he in the ECHL now? Looks like a bit of a lost year for him. Hopefully he can regroup and makes an impact in the A next season.
He played in Portland with a really solid cast around him. He rode shotgun to some of the best players in junior to keep teams honest, and did benefit from that situation. I'm not saying he isn't talented, or making excuses for him, but that has to be considered.

That said, he's still one of my favourite prospects, and I believe he'll be like a lot of other guys, and take some time to adjust to the pro game. I think he still has solid upside as a 3rd liner.

Old
02-25-2013, 01:46 PM
Drew311
Play Me

Quote:
None of the Leafs could sustain any offensive zone time, they were all coughing the puck up and getting beat along the boards. Why do you choose to single Kadri out? Kulemin and JVR are much bigger than Kadri and didn't win any battles, so how can you connect Kadri's size and strength to his lack of effectiveness on Saturday?

Old
02-25-2013, 01:52 PM
Drew311
Play Me

Quote:
Originally Posted by caribouPINE View Post

I think Ross' confidence took a big hit this season. He was one of the top scorers on his junior team and was used in basically every situation. Then he comes to the Marlies and gets basically spot 4th line duty for the first few months, and for the majority of games being a healthy scratch.

He's going to have to be brought along slowly, giving him more and more responsibility as he grows as a player. Hopefully next year he gets a good amount of top six time and we see the agitator in him come back. I'm sure it's not as easy to push guys around like he did in junior. If he's not mucking it up and getting under the skin of other players, he's not all that of an effective player.

Old
02-25-2013, 03:04 PM
FreeBird
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew311 View Post
That's not what I asked. You were so impressed with the young Senators on Saturday, funny how you wouldn't take their current roster over the Leafs.
Well then I'll take the Sens, they have 3 goaltenders better than any one we have. In the end Goaltending is paramount to value and winning.

Old
02-25-2013, 03:05 PM
sniper81

Quote:
Should be interesting to see how the Marlies shape up next year.
Biggs, Percy, Leivo, Broll and MacWilliam should make it, and players such as McKegg, Ross, Devane, should also be given expanded roll. I really like Scott Sabourin of the Generals, undrafted could be signed as a Free Agent, just not sure if there is a spot for him on the Marlies. Team should be younger and tougher, next year.
I think a team will take a flyer on him for sure. Only issue he has is his skating. His stride is so awkward that i dont think it can be legthened out.

Old
02-25-2013, 03:09 PM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

The better swede isn't even Ziba, it's Silfverburg for the sens. Ziba is physically god gifted and has a good awareness of ice but that's about it. Anyways let's drop sens talk.

02-25-2013, 03:36 PM
KlattNazty

Quote:
Originally Posted by sniper81 View Post
I think a team will take a flyer on him for sure. Only issue he has is his skating. His stride is so awkward that i dont think it can be legthened out.
I think if they all get time next year, its going to be one heck of a tough team, and very much of a protect your brother mentality given they are all same age.

Devane, Broll, Biggs, Ross fighting and scrapping for guys like Percy, Leivo, McKegg etc.

Old
02-25-2013, 03:50 PM
VanW27

He was very good.

I was surprised to see they have him playing centre and not RW. He ended with just 1 assist on the night, although he should of been credited with a second.

On his first assist (the one he didn't get credit for) he used his speed to drive wide down the right wing then fired a shot on goal that the goalie blockered away. He then used his speed to skate around the net and catch Budish from behind and pick his pocket as he was trying to exit the zone. He got the puck to his teammate who fired a quick shot and Farley cashed the rebound.

His second assist was a good 1 timer from the top of the circle on the power play that went off the post and right to Farley who again cashed in the rebound.
He also had another post on a 4 on 4, he was all alone in front and fired a one timer then got the rebound and backhanded it off the post.

While he was very good offensively I was also quite impressed with his defense at centre ice as he went head to head with the Budish, Bjukstad, Rau line and did a very good job against them. Despite his size he seemed very strong when battling along the wall.

Old
02-25-2013, 03:53 PM
blasted_Sabre
Global Moderator
Warden of the North

Thanks for this.

Now that game is over, im moving it to the prospect sticky

Old
02-25-2013, 05:49 PM
HockeyNightInBelfast
HockeyNightInBelfast

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErnieLeafs View Post
I think, because of the infusion of youth, that they may struggle in the standings some, but the development of the young guys is what's important, and with Eakins at the helm, you have to feel good about that situation.
Definitely want Eakins to be the man 'at the helm' next year given his track record with developing our prospects into NHL-ready call-ups. We have to be prepared however, that there are as yet no guarantees of Eakins with the Marlies beyond this year.

He signed a one year deal as I recall, but that was with Burkie as his boss. Though he & Carlyle may be old mates from their days at the Jets & the Moose & though he may be paid more than the average AHL coach & loves Toronto, I can't see Eakins wanting to be a career AHL coach as he was more or less the same as a player.

It's not realistic to think that he will not get an offer at some stage, hopefully not soon but it's gonna happen.

Columbus could be a possibility if JD & the new GM are looking to make changes. Also, Kruger is on a short leash in Edmonton. Eakins is special & he wouldda got the Oilers attention during the AHL playoffs v Oklahoma last year.

But a year with Biggs, Leivo, Reilly & co would be awesome

Old
02-25-2013, 05:53 PM
sniper81

Quote:
Originally Posted by KlattNazty View Post
I think if they all get time next year, its going to be one heck of a tough team, and very much of a protect your brother mentality given they are all same age.

Devane, Broll, Biggs, Ross fighting and scrapping for guys like Percy, Leivo, McKegg etc.
Some big and skilled wingers who definetly like to fight, lets hope they focus on proper ice time for young players and less veterans taking key ice time. I think Hamilton and Zigo should stay becuase they have been great off the ice leaders, but some of the D should be clearing out.

Old
02-25-2013, 05:57 PM
Grant
LL Genius

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mad Dalton View Post
Definitely want Eakins to be the man 'at the helm' next year given his track record with developing our prospects into NHL-ready call-ups. We have to be prepared however, that there are as yet no guarantees of Eakins with the Marlies beyond this year.

He signed a one year deal as I recall, but that was with Burkie as his boss. Though he & Carlyle may be old mates from their days at the Jets & the Moose & though he may be paid more than the average AHL coach & loves Toronto, I can't see Eakins wanting to be a career AHL coach as he was more or less the same as a player.

It's not realistic to think that he will not get an offer at some stage, hopefully not soon but it's gonna happen.

Columbus could be a possibility if JD & the new GM are looking to make changes. Also, Kruger is on a short leash in Edmonton. Eakins is special & he wouldda got the Oilers attention during the AHL playoffs v Oklahoma last year.

But a year with Biggs, Leivo, Reilly & co would be awesome
It was a 3 year extension that he signed this past summer but I believe after the first year he can leave to take an NHL coaching position.

Closed Thread