HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Notices

12-13' Prospects Thread Version XV: Rielly Wins WHL Eastern Conf. Dman of the Year

Closed Thread

Old
03-03-2013, 01:12 PM
Duffman955

vCash: 500
Since I don't think Kadri is a prospect any more, I don't see any high potential forwards in the leafs development system. Very few forwards have top 6 potential. So far I can only think of Colborne (who is a longshot), and Biggs who is more of a grinder.

On the other hand, our defense looks pretty stacked. Reilly has #1D potential, while Finn, Percy and Blacker can be solid top 4. We also have a lot of lesser known guys that have decent potential.

Old
03-03-2013, 01:26 PM
S2S
Come at me bros

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duffman955 View Post
Since I don't think Kadri is a prospect any more, I don't see any high potential forwards in the leafs development system. Very few forwards have top 6 potential. So far I can only think of Colborne (who is a longshot), and Biggs who is more of a grinder.

On the other hand, our defense looks pretty stacked. Reilly has #1D potential, while Finn, Percy and Blacker can be solid top 4. We also have a lot of lesser known guys that have decent potential.
I'm gonna throw bpa out the window for a second and say if we were to go by postion with our 7 picks (missing a 4th but will receive a 6th from the Ducks, correct me if I am wrong) I would do (in no order).

3C's
2W's
1D
1G

Again, this is ignoring bpa which you can't do. But we must replenish the system. Also I have a rule of thumb, 1 goalie every two years should be the right amount to keep the system "full enough" but not too many to neglect other positions.

Old
03-03-2013, 03:22 PM
Schenn
Dirt Road Scholar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaf Rocket View Post
He'll be fine, don't worry.

Could be giving him limited time to keep him fresh for the playoffs?
I am pretty sure they are out of the playoff picture at the moment.

03-03-2013, 03:30 PM
Phion Keneuf
Top Dawg Ent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeakerForTheDead View Post
Reminded by that thread but what happened to Sondre Olden?
We let him go. I was a fan of his, but he was always considered a boom or bust guy. Leafs may have felt he was closer to busting than booming.

He's playing in Norway this year.

Old
03-03-2013, 03:53 PM
CrankuptheSnakes
LOVE & LIVE the Game

Would LOVE to see us scoop up Antti Raanta, the starting for Assat in the SM-Liiga. He's playing out of this world, currently, and has a 1.84 GAA, and a .944 save percentage.

Athletic goalie who moves well laterally, It would be nice to bring him in to play in the AHL, and see if we can get an NHL goaltender out of it.

Some highlights:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4l72TSit7aA

Old
03-03-2013, 04:32 PM
theIceWookie
formerly FinnishKule

Quote:

Leivo, McKegg, Toninato, Abbott, Connor Brown all have top 6 upside. Whether they get there or not is the question, but they all have top 6 upside.

Old
03-03-2013, 04:48 PM
416Leafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by theIceWookie View Post
Leivo, McKegg, Toninato, Abbott, Connor Brown all have top 6 upside. Whether they get there or not is the question, but they all have top 6 upside.
Theres a difference between top 6 upside and projected to be a top 6 NHLer. At this point, we dont really have any forward prospects where the expectation is a top 6 role in the NHL.

D looks good though, and winger position looks good set longterm as well. Goaltending MIGHT be.

Old
03-03-2013, 05:02 PM
Anth93

I think Leivo is our only legitimate top 6 prospect. Guys like Brown/Toninato/McKegg have the tools, but the chances of them surpassing any of JVR/Lupul/Kessel/Kadri/Frattin seem impossible.

Old
03-03-2013, 05:03 PM
Anth93

Quote:
Originally Posted by 416Leafer View Post
Theres a difference between top 6 upside and projected to be a top 6 NHLer. At this point, we dont really have any forward prospects where the expectation is a top 6 role in the NHL.

D looks good though, and winger position looks good set longterm as well. Goaltending MIGHT be.
Have you seen Leivo? I'd say you're incorrect. His hustle and two way ability means he'll be effective even when he isn't scoring (which we see right now). Obviously the shot/soft hands give him a valuable projection.

Old
03-03-2013, 05:15 PM
The Shadow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anth93 View Post
Have you seen Leivo? I'd say you're incorrect. His hustle and two way ability means he'll be effective even when he isn't scoring (which we see right now). Obviously the shot/soft hands give him a valuable projection.
Leivo is not projected as a sure fire top 6 man - I'm one of his biggest supporters and he is more of a top 9 guy who has alot of work to do before he can be top 6

the poster is right - we don't have any sure fire top 6 guys on forward

Old
03-03-2013, 05:16 PM
Lebanese Leaf

Our forward prospects really have their work cut out for them to crack the Leafs. Who knows how things will change, but as it stands we already have an excess of bodies that can play in the top 9, and most of them are young up and comers.

Old
03-03-2013, 05:18 PM
theIceWookie
formerly FinnishKule

Quote:
Originally Posted by 416Leafer View Post

Well its a good thing expectation isn't reality.

And look to Anth93's post on Leivo. He's definitely got top 6 upside and expectation. Leafs are apparently very high on him.

And the way the Leafs have been drafting late since Morrison took over, one of those guys will emerge as a top 6 guy.

Old
03-03-2013, 05:19 PM
Anth93

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Shadow View Post
Leivo is not projected as a sure fire top 6 man - I'm one of his biggest supporters and he is more of a top 9 guy who has alot of work to do before he can be top 6

That would mean nobody on the Rangers is a project able top 6 guy. Think about it.

Old
03-03-2013, 05:42 PM
OptimusForever
#teambernier

vCash: 50
Yup, hopefully were sitting in a good spot to draft a few good forward prospects with our high picks

Old
03-03-2013, 05:47 PM
Duffman955

I say this year, we don't take a "safe" pick with our first rounder, we go for a guy with high end skill. Safe, two-way forwards can be found later in the draft.

Old
03-03-2013, 05:51 PM
johnny_rudeboy

Quote:
I say this year, we don't take a "safe" pick with our first rounder, we go for a guy with high end skill. Safe, two-way forwards can be found later in the draft.
And we already have plenty of those in the system. I want us to draft the kid with the best combination of soft hands and good vision that is left for us to pick when it is our turn.

Old
03-03-2013, 05:53 PM
CrankuptheSnakes
LOVE & LIVE the Game

I put up a semi-realistic mock in the draft thread, if anyone wants to read/comment/analyze/make one.

Old
03-03-2013, 06:03 PM
The Legend
Stamkos in 2016

My first time into this thread in 9 years - but I saw a feature on the 2013 draft, and for the first time, I'm actually excited about some of these prospects.

I'm curious if anyone thinks there is any possibility of getting any of the highly ranked forwards? (I'm not sure if this even the proper place for this post)....I just think that in the cap-era, teams should do whatever possible (including trading high priced stars) to get players under team control for as long as possible.

Old
03-03-2013, 06:05 PM
Interactif
Meet The New Boss

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Shadow View Post

Leivo is the closest one we have, it wouldn't surprise me when he is fully developed he will be a top 6 player, what is intriguing is he starts at Center on some shifts. He plays RW/LW and may even be versatile enough to spot at C. I make it no secret I am very high on him, and from what I have heard so are the Leafs.

Old
03-03-2013, 06:06 PM
Duffman955

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErnieLeafs View Post
I put up a semi-realistic mock in the draft thread, if anyone wants to read/comment/analyze/make one.
Gauthier looks like a tremendous player, he is a big, two-way center with excellent puck skills. But I still question his offensive upside.

I like picking a goalie with the 2nd pick as well.

Old
03-03-2013, 06:12 PM
FlowNoMo

Good god MJ is terrible.

Moose Jaw Warriors ‏@MJWARRIORS
Puck about to drop here @mosaicplace. Warriors/Blades, Blades looking to continue the win streak, Warriors trying to break the losing skid.

An early goal by Matej Stransky has the Warriors in an early 1-0 hole. Looking for the quick bounce back goal #planetred

Another quick goal on a great pass and Duncan Siemens has the blades up 2-0 early in the first 16:10 remaining #planetred

edit: 3-0 now 9 mins in

Last edited by FlowNoMo: 03-03-2013 at 06:20 PM.
Old
03-03-2013, 06:15 PM
HockeyNightInBelfast
HockeyNightInBelfast

It should be an interesting draft.

One wonders what moves Nonis might make at the trade deadline i.e.) does he acquire picks etc...?

If we continue our 'above 500' ways, our 1st pick will be like 20th overall.

Would love to see a move to trade up, like what Burke always threatened to do but never pulled off.

The offensive prospect core could be replenished in one swift move to draft an offensive talent our scouts might have taken a fancy to...

As for the exisiting prospects, I like the sound of Leivo - drafter as a dark horse who is looking like he might really pay some offensive dividends.

Also, McKegg may still come around - we always knew it would take him time so let's be patient.

Old
03-03-2013, 08:25 PM
FlowNoMo

Somehow MJ tied it up with 4 goals in 12 minutes in the third. Potentially ending Saskatoon's 20 game win streak

Old
03-03-2013, 08:29 PM
mikebel111
Optimistic/Patient

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flowzie View Post
Somehow MJ tied it up with 4 goals in 12 minutes in the third. Potentially ending Saskatoon's 20 game win streak
And they win it, u gotta give credit to warriors though, they never quit
Reilly gets an assist on winning goal, finishes with 2 assists

Old
03-03-2013, 08:33 PM
FlowNoMo

Amazing lmao

Closed Thread