HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

12-13' Prospects Thread Version XV: Rielly Wins WHL Eastern Conf. Dman of the Year

Closed Thread

Old
02-21-2013, 10:57 AM
Interactif
Realism ** Optimism

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pi View Post
In that 2011 draft, I wanted to draft Puempel and Jenson. I would rather have Biggs + Percy now.
I wanted Biggs and Grimaldi, it was almost impossible to narrow it down to one prospect for this draft. We touched on Percy, Jenner, Rattie, Lessio, even Sproul were mentioned here I recall. This was a very deep draft, in retrospect trading the 39th pick was expensive, but Biggs slid and would have been taken by Detroit, I wasn't unhappy when we picked him one bit, players with his skill set are very rare.

Old
02-21-2013, 11:02 AM
Interactif
Realism ** Optimism

Quote:
Originally Posted by leafsfuture View Post
From what I remember, Eberle was actually viewed favourable by many scouts, especially after his play at the U-18s.

THe big concern was whether his scoring touch would translate to the NHL, and it wasnt without good reason. He has made huge strides since then, but he was definitely seen as a guy with upside
From my memory Eberle's size was the key issue, I don't believe anyone had him going higher than what he went in the 1st rd, he was 28th or 29th on Mac's list if my memory is correct and that is where he went.

Old
02-21-2013, 11:04 AM
FreeBird
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Interactif View Post
Not sure what you mean?
Your predicting great things from these prospects who are not even putting up a pt a game. Guys like Ryan and Ross who were drafted higher and had better stats in their final year of Jr. have done nothing at the ahl level, why would Biggs and Leivo have more success going forward.

Old
02-21-2013, 11:31 AM
Interactif
Realism ** Optimism

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeBird View Post
Your predicting great things from these prospects who are not even putting up a pt a game. Guys like Ryan and Ross who were drafted higher and had better stats in their final year of Jr. have done nothing at the ahl level, why would Biggs and Leivo have more success going forward.
It's an opinion based on my observations, and based on my projections. Sure I Stand by it.

Old
02-21-2013, 12:03 PM
ErnieLeafs
LOVE & LIVE the Game

Marek Tvrdon is someone who slipped in the draft, who plays the game like Biggs, is big like Biggs, but has a tangible scoring element to his game. He was someone on my radar after he slipped out of the 2nd round.

Old
02-21-2013, 12:59 PM
mikebel111
Optimistic/Patient

What is with you guys? Biggs IMO has exceeded expectations. Sure he has hit a wall, but we knew this was coming, it's his first year, and could reach 30 goals, what else do you want? I also think he has a slight chance of making the leafs next season. Power forwards take longer to develop, patience has payed off with kadri,
I am loving the development of percy, like some said, gunnerson with a little more offense, PP QB for 2nd PP IMO, is a young leader, since he is the captain
Give them time,

Old
02-21-2013, 01:00 PM
sniper81

Quote:
Point totals really aren't the end all be all in the chl, Ross may have put up alot more points but Biggs has better tendancies, positioning and a better pro body. This is the last time i will say this, stop worrying abut Biggs point totals and watch him play live. View his positioning compared to most CHL players. I would 90 % of his goals are rebounds withing 15 feet of the net, to me, (combined with his size and skating) make him a better pro prospect than ross. Biggs has a pretty decent set of hands an can actually make decent moves on the rush or on the cycle.
I thought we were going to take Jenner at 25 and Percy at 30, Obviously i would rather have Jenner then and now, what can you do.

Old
02-21-2013, 01:05 PM
Animal

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikebel111 View Post
What is with you guys? Biggs IMO has exceeded expectations. Sure he has hit a wall, but we knew this was coming, it's his first year, and could reach 30 goals, what else do you want? I also think he has a slight chance of making the leafs next season. Power forwards take longer to develop, patience has payed off with kadri,
I am loving the development of percy, like some said, gunnerson with a little more offense, PP QB for 2nd PP IMO, is a young leader, since he is the captain
Give them time,
contradiction don't you think?

Old
02-21-2013, 01:10 PM
ErnieLeafs
LOVE & LIVE the Game

Quote:
Give them time,
I don't hate the Biggs pick at all... I'm fine with him, I just don't expect anything special out of him. There's no reason to, as he's never shown anything truly special at any level. He's a role player in the NHL, and probably shouldn't be expected to produce, although hoping for production never hurts.

I look at him a lot like Clarkson, but not this year's Clarkson, the one that put up 22,32,24 pts. A role player who will knock some people around, drop the gloves when necessary, and produce in the 20-35 point range.

Old
02-21-2013, 05:49 PM
Mike1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErnieLeafs View Post
I'm fine with them, and happy to have them, but the idea of being aggressive (in moving up, and reaching pretty big for Percy), just to pick conservatively, makes ZERO sense to me. There were better players than both on the board when they were picked, so it's kind of hard to wrap my head around.
It's called having bad scouts...the Leafs have always lacked the ability to find quality players in the draft & often go for players that they think are "safe" picks. If all a safe pick gives you is players with limited upside who will play in the NHL as a role player, give me risky any day of the week.

Old
02-21-2013, 05:56 PM
Number13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike1 View Post
It's called having bad scouts...the Leafs have always lacked the ability to find quality players in the draft & often go for players that they think are "safe" picks. If all a safe pick gives you is players with limited upside who will play in the NHL as a role player, give me risky any day of the week.
Very misinformed post. Kadri, Frattin, Reimer, Kulemin, Gunnarsson, Komarov, Holzer all heavily contributing this year with some very solid prospects in waiting. Yes we may have missed some better prospects at certain spots, but tell me one team who hasn't.

Old
02-21-2013, 08:19 PM
amyles
We The North

Biggs with a goal. Anyone know why Brown is not playing tonight?

Old
02-21-2013, 09:30 PM
The K Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggs21 View Post
contradiction don't you think?
I can see where he's coming from. Biggs turning into a SCORING power forward could take longer, but he could possibly make the roster as a grinder (which I think most of us can agree would be a poor decision).

I think he'll spend at least a season with the Marlies before seeing any time with the Leafs unless there are a ton of injuries on the wing.

Old
02-21-2013, 09:34 PM
showtime8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Number13 View Post
Very misinformed post. Kadri, Frattin, Reimer, Kulemin, Gunnarsson, Komarov, Holzer all heavily contributing this year with some very solid prospects in waiting. Yes we may have missed some better prospects at certain spots, but tell me one team who hasn't.
They have found some good role players, but no real superstars from the draft.

Out of that list, all of their 1st round picks have been busts or successful with another team. So the biggest critique for the scouts would be not realizing high end talent.

Old
02-21-2013, 09:47 PM
ErnieLeafs
LOVE & LIVE the Game

Quote:
Originally Posted by showtime8 View Post

Out of that list, all of their 1st round picks have been busts or successful with another team. So the biggest critique for the scouts would be not realizing high end talent.
I agree here.

Old
02-21-2013, 09:52 PM
philer Bozel
It's Playoff Time!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grant View Post
Yup, it would happen.

And then we say "it's all apart of his development, Pietrangelo was sent back to junior and it worked out for him."

And then they say "Are you really comparing Rielly to Pietrangelo? "

And then we say "no we are just comparing their development paths."

And then they change the subject to the Kessel trade and bring up Hamilton saying he is a future HHoFer because that's the cool thing to do on HF.
This is actually hilarious and sad at the same time.

Old
02-21-2013, 09:54 PM
Interactif
Realism ** Optimism

Quote:
Originally Posted by showtime8 View Post

How many teams have found superstars other than Detroit drafting as late as the Leafs have? We have often traded our picks ie. Seguin, Hamilton, and in 2010 did we even have a 1st round pick?

Old
02-21-2013, 09:58 PM
Lebanese Leaf

Leaf scouting team is top notch, one of the best.

Old
02-21-2013, 10:07 PM
67Cup

Quote:
Check the stats more carefully with respect to Leivo.

Old
02-21-2013, 10:08 PM
Interactif
Realism ** Optimism

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike1 View Post
I can't remember his name, but the Leafs took a very unsafe pick in Stefanovich? He was a boom or bust pick, in the end he didn't amount to much.

Old
02-21-2013, 10:10 PM
ErnieLeafs
LOVE & LIVE the Game

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyundai View Post
I can't remember his name, but the Leafs took a very unsafe pick in Stefanovich? He was a boom or bust pick, in the end he didn't amount to much.
So let that one boom/bust pick deter you?!

There was another by the name of Sondre Olden, as well.

You can't win, if you don't play..

Old
02-21-2013, 10:14 PM
Lebanese Leaf

Quote:

Dominic Toninato is one they just took in 2012. Connor Brown as well.

Not to mention the boomb/bust Swedish D-men they always take late (Granberg, Nilsson, Loov).

Old
02-21-2013, 10:16 PM
67Cup

Quote:
Give them time,
He is in his first year in the OHL but he is also in his final year of junior eligibility. As such, he is playing against younger and smaller opponents for the most part. His production is definitely not disastrous, but it is certainly nothing to get excited about either. His value lies in other areas than offensive ability at this point in his development.

Let's be realistic.

Old
02-21-2013, 10:24 PM
Interactif
Realism ** Optimism

Quote:

You weigh the risks, you want to pick NHL players. The Leafs have had very few high picks due to trading them. I was responding to the "we only take safe picks". Stefanovich was not one of them.

Old
02-21-2013, 10:25 PM
charliolemieux
rsTmf

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyundai View Post
How many teams have found superstars other than Detroit drafting as late as the Leafs have? We have often traded our picks ie. Seguin, Hamilton, and in 2010 did we even have a 1st round pick?
Ottawa.

THE list of Sens great late picks is a good one. You can start with Alfie. Then there are recent late picks Condra and Greening playing right now. Then there are Names like Neil, Rachunek, Elliott, Sami Salo, Laich And their first diamond in the rough Pavol Demitra.

And those are all 6th round or later. Pretty damn good for 22 years.

There are other 3rd -5th rounders that turned out well, but for 6th round or later, including four 9th rounders, I am impressed.

Closed Thread