HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Leiweke: Kings Hockey back this Fall

Closed Thread

Old
03-26-2005, 04:22 AM
Peter James Bond

vCash: 500
Leiweke: Kings Hockey back this Fall

We're back playing hockey in September. We will have a King season," Leiweke said. "And there's an enormous amount of conviction and planning toward the fan. The fan has become a high priority for us and we can't abuse that trust…."

LINK TO HOCKEY!

Old
03-26-2005, 08:04 AM
Legionnaire
Kill! Jeff, Kill!!!

Q: How do you know Tim Liewike is lying?

A: His lips are moving.

03-26-2005, 09:17 AM
Old Hickory

vCash:
Tim has been a little over optimistic in the past. I hope he is right though

Old
03-26-2005, 09:58 AM
Mxpunk

I think there will be hockey with replacement players, especially with the NHL's filing with the U.S. Labor Board the other day....Let's pray!

Old
03-26-2005, 11:06 AM
Albi

Send a message via MSN to Albi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Legionnaire
Q: How do you know Tim Liewike is lying?

A: His lips are moving.
Exactly.
Lie-Weekly can't be a good reason to bring my hopes up

Old
03-26-2005, 11:57 AM
David A. Rainer

Send a message via MSN to David A. Rainer
To be honest, you could probably ask anyone within the Kings organization and they would say the same thing. So just because it is Liewike speaking shouldn't leasen the impact of what is said. They probably all received the same memo from their legal department - irrespective of the path chosen, legal resolution of the dispute likely before September.

03-26-2005, 12:48 PM
Old Hickory

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by David A. Rainer, Esq.
To be honest, you could probably ask anyone within the Kings organization and they would say the same thing. So just because it is Liewike speaking shouldn't leasen the impact of what is said. They probably all received the same memo from their legal department - irrespective of the path chosen, legal resolution of the dispute likely before September.
Good point

Old
03-26-2005, 01:13 PM
kingsforever

go to tsn.ca and go to the article there people are badmouthing the kings and that they have no fans come on guys and girls go on and post and show how much you care

Old
03-26-2005, 03:18 PM
Matt13

Come on Frozen Fury!!!!!!!

Old
03-26-2005, 03:19 PM
Matt13

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsandsensfan
go to tsn.ca and go to the article there people are badmouthing the kings and that they have no fans come on guys and girls go on and post and show how much you care

i think its better that you dont. Why let the owners and players think we are willing to accept them back so easily.

Old
03-26-2005, 07:46 PM
Old Hickory

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt13
i think its better that you dont. Why let the owners and players think we are willing to accept them back so easily.
Fans need to pick one side and stick to it. That will end the lockout the quickest possible way.
If this thing does come down to replacement players, the NHLPA's strategy will be to hope they bomb and the NHL comes back with it's tail between it's legs.
If it does come down to replacement players, we need to show up 18,000+ strong at Staples.

Old
03-27-2005, 04:33 PM
blind willie

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsjohn
Fans need to pick one side and stick to it. That will end the lockout the quickest possible way.
If this thing does come down to replacement players, the NHLPA's strategy will be to hope they bomb and the NHL comes back with it's tail between it's legs.
If it does come down to replacement players, we need to show up 18,000+ strong at Staples.
I'm going to disagree with you on this one. It's greed on both sides that set up this showdown. I for one am not going to pay major league money to see minor league talent. By showing up, I would be letting the NHL know that I don't care what kind of product they put on the ice.

Old
03-27-2005, 04:40 PM
Dooney
Love me some Carter!

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by blind willie
I'm going to disagree with you on this one. It's greed on both sides that set up this showdown. I for one am not going to pay major league money to see minor league talent. By showing up, I would be letting the NHL know that I don't care what kind of product they put on the ice.
You pretty much did it all last year with the exception of a few players on the Kings

It's hockey, hopefully the prices will come down a bit and I suspect they will, I will be there.

Old
03-27-2005, 04:45 PM
Mxpunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dooney & Bourke
You pretty much did it all last year with the exception of a few players on the Kings

It's hockey, hopefully the prices will come down a bit and I suspect they will, I will be there.

I agree. I'd rather see young, hungry players who are playing for their livelihood and the love of the game. It will be similar to watching college hockey. They have the most at stake, and it would be amazing to see the determination throughout an entire season. Sure, I'll miss some of the superstars, but I still would embrace the replacements.

No doubt ticket prices will go down as well.

Old
03-27-2005, 04:52 PM
Dooney
Love me some Carter!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mxpunk
I agree. I'd rather see young, hungry players who are playing for their livelihood and the love of the game. It will be similar to watching college hockey. They have the most at stake, and it would be amazing to see the determination throughout an entire season. Sure, I'll miss some of the superstars, but I still would embrace the replacements.

No doubt ticket prices will go down as well.
I agree and I sense we will see some AHL players as well. It will be good and it will be like a re-birth. I can't wait.

Old
03-27-2005, 06:23 PM
T2M

I'll only show up if they sign me as a replacement player. Just because they wear Kings jerseys doesn't mean they're Kings.

Old
03-27-2005, 06:37 PM
blind willie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dooney & Bourke

There is a difference however with young players coming up having to perform against the best competiton in the world. It is a lot harder to stay hungry when you don't have to compete at a top level every night to earn a roster spot. Having replacement players will not cure the problem the NHL and so many other sports are facing. Over expansion, and dilution of the talent base. The players are easy targets, because of the those players that are at the extreme high end of the salary range. It is easy to point to a Jagr or Guerin as proof of the owners claim. But, the sad fact is the owners are the ones who offered that salary in the first place. But, we are expected to believe, at face value, that the owners are losing money at such a rate that it is more profitable for them to cancel a season. If that were really the case, how come these owners aren't grabbing at the chance to unload their teams or the league? Any other business that was losing the money they claim to be losing, would be closing down stores, would be contracting services to the point where they could once again make money. But that isn't happening. This boils down to the fact owners don't trust each other, and some teams can't compete. Can't play in the big leagues? Then get out. Why do we demand desire and committment from the players, and just sit back and let the owners pull our strings?

So it boils down to a situation where we have greedy owners, greedy players and the fan ends up the loser. So, I have decided to become greedy as well. If they want my dollar, then they have to earn it. I want top notch talent on the ice. I want players who not only have desire, but have the ability to play hockey at a level that is worth me spending money to watch. I want owners who are fans of the game, who understand what a great sport hockey can be. If all I care about is watching effort, then I might as well continue to travel down and watch the Ice Dogs.

Old
03-27-2005, 07:15 PM
Old Hickory

vCash:
Quote:
I see your point and I don't want to pay major league money either. Relisitically, they will slash ticket prices because their labor costs will be so much lower. I don't expect any scabs to make over a million a year.
But most importantly, but not showing up you are helping the NHLPA in their argument that people won't see replacement players and the lockout will only drag on.

Old
03-27-2005, 07:39 PM
Dooney
Love me some Carter!

Quote:
If all I care about is watching effort, then I might as well continue to travel down and watch the Ice Dogs.
Well you just might see some Ice Dogs as replacement players too

Seriously though, The NHL put an offer out and the PA was just not willing to negotiate in good faith IMO on the players behalf. I think the players are the ones who ended up losing in the end due to Goodenows hardnose stance. I still believe they want to play or they would not have gone down to the wire like they did.

As much as I have a distaste for Bettman, if this is what it will take to bring hockey back in some form and get it in the publics eye as the NHL as quickly as possible than I am all for it and I will support the LA Kings. The sport is taking enough knocks and losing enough of a fan base, it can't afford to lose more. It might surprise you the untapped talent out there, if given the chance to play. Bring it on and let's meet between periods at Team LA

Old
03-27-2005, 08:46 PM
blind willie

I want hockey back too. But I don't see the th eplayers as being villains. I see owners and a players association that are more willing to make a point than negotiate. I'm tired of sports that think they can put any level of player on the field and expect my money. Yes, replacement players may bring the lock out to an end quicker. But, at what cost? How many of those players will remain in the league once the top players come back? If some do remain, what will that do to team chemistry? There is already a shocking lack of respect among a lot of the players. Look what happened to replacemnet players in football and baseball? How many remained in the game? How will the players who remain be treated. We sit back and complain about the loyalty of players. We boo Blake because he wanted more than the Kings were willing to offer. We expect loyalty of the players. What about the loyalty of owners to put a quality product on the ice? What about the loyalty of fans to cheer not for a uniform, but for the players who have given their all. I'm not talking about the players who just collect their check and show up thinking that's all it takes. I want a game with integrity. If they want to put a lessor product out on the ice, then schedule some AHL games at Staples and sell them at a lower level. But don't place an NHL sticker on an AHL or lower team and expect me to buy it. In my book that's like placing a Mercedes emblem on a Yugo and expecting me to be happy with my new luxury vehicle.
If all you want is hockey, than by all means go. I'm just going to wait until the real NHL comes back, or a new league comes along with the top players. Be happy to meet any of you before or after a game for drinks, however.

Old
03-27-2005, 09:09 PM
Old Hickory

vCash:
Good points, let me break it out jt style
Quote:
I want hockey back too. But I don't see the th eplayers as being villains. I see owners and a players association that are more willing to make a point than negotiate.
Exactly, so helping one side make their point will end this quicker

Quote:
I'm tired of sports that think they can put any level of player on the field and expect my money. Yes, replacement players may bring the lock out to an end quicker. But, at what cost? How many of those players will remain in the league once the top players come back?
I think it will parallel the XFL, maybe 5 or 6 guys will earn contracts. Pavel Rosa might finally get his shot

Quote:
If some do remain, what will that do to team chemistry?
What chemistry? They haven't played together for a season and every teams roster will be dramatically different.

Quote:
There is already a shocking lack of respect among a lot of the players. Look what happened to replacemnet players in football and baseball? How many remained in the game?
I don't know about football. I know the baseball players that remained lost out on merchandise deals. I know Matt Herges was effected this way

Quote:
How will the players who remain be treated. We sit back and complain about the loyalty of players. We boo Blake because he wanted more than the Kings were willing to offer. We expect loyalty of the players.
Alot of these replacement players will likely be fringe AHL guys like Steve kelly and Pavel Rosa and players that lost their jobs in Europe to NHL'ers. I think the NHL players will feel some animosity to them at first but eventually will forgive them

Quote:
What about the loyalty of owners to put a quality product on the ice? What about the loyalty of fans to cheer not for a uniform, but for the players who have given their all.
This is the owners attempt at getting the game going again. Remember the owners have made quite a few proposals to the players one formal proposal and lat minte counter offer before the season was cancelled.
The loyalty of the fans to cheer for the uniform is exactly why you should show up and support replacement players.

Quote:
I'm not talking about the players who just collect their check and show up thinking that's all it takes. I want a game with integrity. If they want to put a lessor product out on the ice, then schedule some AHL games at Staples and sell them at a lower level.
After being the first league to lose a season , the owners need to get their NHL franchise back on the ice. I would be shocked it tickets were anywhrre close to normal levels.
Section 101 at Staples is 115.50 for a seat. I would imagine this would drop to $40
Section 330 is 24.50. I would imagine it would drop to around $10

Quote:
But don't place an NHL sticker on an AHL or lower team and expect me to buy it. In my book that's like placing a Mercedes emblem on a Yugo and expecting me to be happy with my new luxury vehicle.
If all you want is hockey, than by all means go.
Can't argue with this

Quote:
I'm just going to wait until the real NHL comes back, or a new league comes along with the top players.
Back to my original point, showing up to watch replacement players, if it comes to it, will get the NHL players back quicker.

Quote:
Be happy to meet any of you before or after a game for drinks, however.
Anytime my friend. Anytime

Old
03-27-2005, 09:09 PM
T2M

Quote:
What about the loyalty of owners to put a quality product on the ice? What about the loyalty of fans to cheer not for a uniform, but for the players who have given their all.
Now I'm backing this up. Yzerman and Sackic are the last of a dying bread, the franchise player who'll play his whole career with one team. We're in a market where we can build a dynasty, and keep the players around for the whole term of it. Real character players with high skill level who come and play here should retire here. I've talked about a "Kings Core" in the past, where players come up through our ranks wanting to be Kings for life. We should pay them respectably but I really think that star players and owners should be working together to build up a tradition on each team instead of trying to milk each other for all the profits. The two sides really need to work together, and then we can start on building a history in this city that every other team in the new era of hockey will be jealous of.

T2M

Old
03-27-2005, 10:22 PM
blind willie

The players did make a "real offer" but ownership complained it wouldn't be cost effective 2 or 3 years down the line. Why? Becaue they can't trust the other owners if no cap is in place. KJ I think you missed my point on being loyal to the uniform. I think as fans we have become too loyal to what the player is wearing, and not on who is wearing the uniform. I became an ex-Laker fan when they brought in Malone. I also think you have somewhat unrealistic expectations of price rollbacks. If the owbers are losing the amount of money they claim, they won't be able to make that kind of cut. There are certain fixed costs involved just to play a game. Lights, airconditioning, labor costs for the people working at the game. Those costs don't go down, regardless of who is playing. I think you will be lucky if you see a reduction of 20% across the board. Staples Center is just too expensive of a venue to reduce prices to the level you suggest. That's why concerts and other activities cost so much there.

I have trouble in believing that all these multimillionaire owners suddenly became so inept at managing their finaces that they can't afford to conduct business any longer.
If they really wanted to negotiate, they would be sitting down and working out a plan which could benefit both parties. Instead, it has become a matter of trying to impose their will and break the union. On the surface, that may look great. But in the long run, it will create animosity and more problems down the line. I think the replacement players may just force more players to head to Europe. For the star players it may even pay better. As for the players forgiving the replacements. I don't think a hockey player's career lasts long enough for that to happen. Hockey is a violent sport. What happens when that replacement player gets a stick to the face or ran into the boards? Is someone going to jump to his defense? I think it may turn real ugly.

Old
03-28-2005, 08:43 AM
T2M

Quote:
If they really wanted to negotiate, they would be sitting down and working out a plan which could benefit both parties. Instead, it has become a matter of trying to impose their will and break the union.
Somewhere Conn Smythe is smiling about this.

Old
03-28-2005, 11:46 AM
jt

Quote:
I'm not so sure I see the "greed" by the owners. I see some stupidity (Rangers, Stars, Caps, Leafs, Flyers, Blues) and in some ways the opposite of greed (overpaying players and actually LOSING money). But for the most part, I see owners who are smart and try to run good hockey clubs WITHOUT much greed. I mean, how can you say any of these teams are greedy: Ducks, Thrashers, Bruins, Sabres, Flames, Canes, Hawks, Avs, BJ's, Wings, Oilers, Panthers, Kings, Habs, Preds, Devils, Isles, Sens, Coyotes, Pens, Sharks, Lightning, Canucks?

The only thing I accuse "the owners" of is not having the nads to stand up to the players in 1994 and cancel THAT season instead of this one. But that was a damn hard choice to make then because they were making at lease some money then...now most aren't making any.

Closed Thread