HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Cole's Plus/Minus: The Crosby and Vanek Show (w/ guest Craig Adams)

Closed Thread

Old
02-17-2013, 03:22 PM
KIRK

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by IcedCapp View Post
You guys need to define the terms better, because I don't think KIRK will EVER be happy
Dude, I'm ******* ecstatic today. Bylsma has won another cup in February.

I still see the makings on one and done. Sorry . . .

Old
02-17-2013, 03:24 PM
IcedCapp
IcedCapp The White

Quote:
Originally Posted by KIRK View Post
Dude, I'm ******* ecstatic today. Bylsma has won another cup in February.
sighhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh. I'm gonna fed ex you a keg of your favorite beer.

Old
02-17-2013, 03:27 PM
KIRK

Quote:
sighhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh. I'm gonna fed ex you a keg of your favorite beer.
Free beer, and by Fed Ex no less . . . my work here is done.

Old
02-17-2013, 03:29 PM
NeedleInTheHay

Quote:
Originally Posted by td_ice View Post
Dude was scaring me with that. I thought he flipped.
It was The Clash! how could you not jam it out?

Old
02-17-2013, 03:29 PM
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
You Suck McBain!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KIRK View Post
Well, as much as I'm sure Bylsma will inspire the greatness back into him, I'll take your bet.
Let's set some terms then. What pace do you think is fair?

Quote:
EDIT: By the way, I'd like you to be as right about the playoffs as you've been about the regular season. Hasn't helped you before, of course, but I digress . . .
Before?

Old
02-17-2013, 03:33 PM
WarriorScholar

Quote:
You guys need to define the terms better, because I don't think KIRK will EVER be happy
He will be happy when the wings get Malkin so he can be used properly.

Now onto my daily lineup predictions going into playoffs...

Bennett - Crosby - Stewart
Kunitz - Malkin - Neal
Cooke - Sutter- Dupuis
Glass - Vitale - Adams
Kennedy/ Jeffrey

Bennett has already showed glimpses of his skill. We will see him improve tremendously after a handful of games under his belt and he will prove to be a better option than an unknown rental who we would likely have to overpay for because of it not being a sellers year. Putting us into position to make a good hockey trade for Chris Stewart .

Tune into tomorrow for totally different lineup

Old
02-17-2013, 03:34 PM
bathroomSTAAL
The halcyon days

Random encouraging thing I saw from the highlights:

After Miller's insane save on Neal, Crosby and Neal were laughing all the way to the bench. Could easily have looked frustrated or exasperated but they just laughed it off, whereas someone like Ovechkin would be staring at the ceiling, probably while the play continues around him.

Old
02-17-2013, 03:34 PM
Sideline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowdy Roddy Peeper View Post
The bouquet toss will be a stretch pass, ruining the evening once and for all.
Nah, he'll cancel the whole thing in a rage when his wing men at the bachelor party flub countless easy chances to score that KIRK sets them up with using his "getting married" play.

Old
02-17-2013, 03:35 PM
gogasson

Gonna also give a plus to NBC today. Not sure I remeber who it was, but it was one of those side comments on Sid where they were talking about Sid and how he felt good at the beginning of the year, but from all the rehab, he was a little over weight, like 220 or so. A few weeks into the season, he's back down that that normal playing weight around 203 and look at how he's playing.
Can we laugh at the Crosbyphobes from the beginning of the year that thought his career was over yet???

Old
02-17-2013, 03:37 PM
gogasson

Quote:
Originally Posted by bathroomSTAAL View Post

After Miller's insane save on Neal, Crosby and Neal were laughing all the way to the bench. Could easily have looked frustrated or exasperated but they just laughed it off, whereas someone like Ovechkin would be staring at the ceiling, probably while the play continues around him.
Great sequence there, they didn't get frustrated, great save but we'll get it back.

Old
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
You Suck McBain!

Oh, I almost forgot. HUGE plus to Miller and Micheletti on the NBC broadcast.

Fantastic PBP and commentary.

Old
Mr Jiggyfly

- The breakout on the PP was exactly what I have been wanting to see. They were coming up ice as a five man unit, all moving their feet and giving the puck carrier options. This not only makes it easier to gain zone entry, but all of your players are moving their feet and hit the blueline with speed on dumps, not just the puck carrier.

- Neal is a huge problem on the Malkin line right now. He is missing assignments in his own end and not winning board battles, at all. He needs to start moving his feet and battling. Goals don't mean **** if you aren't doing other things to help your team win.

- BB is not making mistakes and is holding up well along the boards. That is all I really expect from him for awhile. The offense will come when he gets comfortable.

- Despres benched and Bort gets what... 9 mins of ice? I guess the plan is to wear out the top four before the playoffs and ensure the rookies aren't ready. What could possibly go wrong?

- Lack of coverage on the points continue to kill this team. Why the zones are not being shifted higher is mind boggling. It has been a problem for half a dozen games now. It needs rectified.

Old
02-17-2013, 03:39 PM
ColePens
Global Moderator
Your Savior

Send a message via AIM to ColePens
A win is a win. We will take it. Huge props to Miller and Fleury for making a 7 goal game still be a goaltenders game. I thought both guys were very good. Miller - spectacular.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowdy Roddy Peeper View Post
+ We're now #1 in the conference
+ Sid playing guilty after his boneheaded penalty
+ DUPES
+ Kunitz
+ Martin

- lack of discipline
- Orpik...he was floating and chasing all afternoon
- Malkin...uninspired
- Sutter...weak
Couldn't get to the write up today - but looks like RRP stole all my material. This is exactly how I would have it. Just some minor notes:

- I wish we could finish games when we come out flying like we do. I think today was a great way to give up 3 straight and then have to fight back. This will pay some dividends down the road. We finally faced adversity and didn't lose.

- Sutter is looking weak. He has to find his game here in Pittsburgh. I think he's trying to do different things instead of just being himself.

- I don't care to see Bort only getting 9 minutes of ice. I will admit he struggled early, but come on. That's a bit low.

- I love what I see out of Beau. I think he's a great talent that we need in our organization. He's only going to grow, too.

- Letang was god awful, then makes a miracle play work to Dupers to tie it up. Need better consistency from him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ugene Malkin View Post
Very classy, just like Glass patting him after.
Great stuff by both men. I appreciated that.

edit: How the **** is Joe VItale at the bottom of the list for ice time? The guy does so much. It's a shame.

Old
02-17-2013, 03:40 PM
ColePens
Global Moderator
Your Savior

Send a message via AIM to ColePens
We forgot.. the broadcast team was simply amazing. That is how you call a game. Great information and great play call all day. It was such a huge treat.

Old
02-17-2013, 03:49 PM
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
You Suck McBain!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColePens View Post
We forgot.. the broadcast team was simply amazing. That is how you call a game. Great information and great play call all day. It was such a huge treat.
I wish all Pens games were played on TSN. They bring that standard every time.

Quote:
- I don't care to see Bort only getting 9 minutes of ice. I will admit he struggled early, but come on. That's a bit low.
Really tight game. There's gonna be times like this when rookies have their time cut, especially when, like you say, he struggled early.

Quote:
- I love what I see out of Beau. I think he's a great talent that we need in our organization. He's only going to grow, too.
For sure. He flubbed a few chances, but he's showing a lot of offensive IQ and responsible play out there. Looks promising.

Old
02-17-2013, 03:50 PM
End of Line
Human After All

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71 View Post
FTW.

"I don't know what the stronger emotion would be, the joy of winning or the pain of losing"-Sidney Crosby.
Old
02-17-2013, 03:50 PM
LetangInTheSO

Quote:
A massive improvement over Steigy and Errey, and I think Miller's pretty good, but he's still probably 3rd or 4th on my list of top PBP guys in Canada. Hughson is #1 for me (it seems that most love him and some ardently hate him), and as senile as he is, I still get shivers hearing Bob Cole's voice call a hockey game (his voice just summons memories of my childhood and playoff games in the 80s/90s/00s...if I were older, that would go back even farther), I also think Shorthouse calls a very good game, albeit quite biased in favor of Vancouver.

Old
02-17-2013, 03:53 PM
Darth Vitale
Transitional Period

Quote:
Originally Posted by bathroomSTAAL View Post

I thought that was great. Two players out there having fun doing what they're doing.

Old
02-17-2013, 03:54 PM
Darth Vitale
Transitional Period

Quote:
BUT... there were no QUIRKY COMMENTS, man! No unintentionally funny stuff or pointless sidebar comments. I felt cheated.

Old
02-17-2013, 03:59 PM
Luigi Lemieux

Malkin and Sutter both need to pick their games up. For a supposedly great defensive center Sutter loses practically every single board battle. How i miss Staal...

Old
02-17-2013, 04:03 PM
Darth Vitale
Transitional Period

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luigi Lemieux View Post
Malkin and Sutter both need to pick their games up. For a supposedly great defensive center Sutter loses practically every single board battle. How i miss Staal...
Sutter seems kind of lost to me right now. I get the sense sometimes he could be a much more assertive and offensively interesting player but whether it's Bylsma's system / the role he's given him or something else, I think Sutter has another gear we haven't seen it yet. Maybe they're trying to ensure his numbers stay relatively low so he won't be in a position to ask for a big raise next spring.

Old
02-17-2013, 04:04 PM
KIRK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chancellor Vitale View Post
Sutter seems kind of lost to me right now. I get the sense sometimes he could be a much more assertive and offensively interesting player but whether it's Bylsma's system / the role he's given him or something else, I think Sutter has another gear we haven't seen it yet...
Pretty sure it can't be Bylsma's system.

Old
02-17-2013, 04:05 PM
Darth Vitale
Transitional Period

Playing with linemates who can't score doesn't help.

Old
02-17-2013, 04:06 PM
KIRK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chancellor Vitale View Post
Playing with linemates who can't score doesn't help.
That's not an excuse.

Old
02-17-2013, 04:08 PM
Darth Vitale
Transitional Period

All right yinz keep it cool or there will be no more opportunity to compare Vanek and Adams.

Closed Thread