HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Colorado Avalanche
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Avs Recall Stefan Elliott

Old
02-19-2013, 06:23 PM
NOTENOUGHBREWER

vCash: 500
The team traded Shattenkirk and Liles believing at least one of these two would be a worthy successor. I don't think they'll give up on them so easily. Any team in contention would want a vet roster player like an O Brien or O Byrne for the playoffs. Perhaps they'll be moved.

Does anyone else think Obi Wan Kenobi would've been a terrible roommate or RA if they were in college with him?

NOTENOUGHBREWER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 06:38 PM
CalderKing21
Darth Calder

vCash: 450
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonewolfe2015 View Post
Everyone knew on here that Barrie was the more polished defender defensively. He had the hockey IQ to know where to be and what play to make. But no one was fooled that his strength was going to hold him back. If we're lucky he can take that hockey IQ and demonstrate his offensive talents in the NHL to the degree that allows him to be a Dan Boyle-lite.

But I still maintain Elliott has the higher potential and is the more effective offensive talent. Once he gets his legs under him and some confidence I think he will put up some serious numbers. His wrist shot is quite probably the best this team has had since Sakic. What we've never been disillusioned with is that he defensively is very raw and not confident enough physically to assert himself with his size.

Two very similar yet very different prospects, each with a lot of potential (underrated around the league) and a good future in the NHL. We just need to be patient as fans and hope they pan out, I'd argue a new coach is required to let that happen. I'm also very hopeful Siemens can bring the ying to their yang and solidify the defensive responsibilities of those guys.
sounds about like my thoughts as well. Elliot i've always seen as the offensive guy who will be ok on defense. Barrie i've always thought would be the defensive guy who plays a all around game well and maybe ends up as a guy we fans always assume will be capable of more but never fully reaches expectations on O.

CalderKing21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 07:59 PM
avsfan09

Quote:
Everyone knew on here that Barrie was the more polished defender defensively. He had the hockey IQ to know where to be and what play to make. But no one was fooled that his strength was going to hold him back. If we're lucky he can take that hockey IQ and demonstrate his offensive talents in the NHL to the degree that allows him to be a Dan Boyle-lite.

But I still maintain Elliott has the higher potential and is the more effective offensive talent. Once he gets his legs under him and some confidence I think he will put up some serious numbers. His wrist shot is quite probably the best this team has had since Sakic. What we've never been disillusioned with is that he defensively is very raw and not confident enough physically to assert himself with his size.

Two very similar yet very different prospects, each with a lot of potential (underrated around the league) and a good future in the NHL. We just need to be patient as fans and hope they pan out, I'd argue a new coach is required to let that happen. I'm also very hopeful Siemens can bring the ying to their yang and solidify the defensive responsibilities of those guys.
Barrie's hockey sense>Elliots wrist shot. Barrie is already playing at a high level. He's making quick decisions with the puck, good passes, not hesitating on defence and quarterbacking the PP well.

I never watched Elliot in junior hockey or the AHL, so I'll reserve judgement for him. From what I saw last year, I wasn't very impressed. He needs to be more assertive, and hopefully he gets that going soon.

avsfan09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 08:02 PM
shadow1

He's talented by very raw. I think he's still a year away, but in this era players turn the corner quickly. All it takes is some confidence.

shadow1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 08:05 PM
Lonewolfe2015

vCash: 413
Quote:
Originally Posted by avsfan09 View Post
Barrie's hockey sense>Elliots wrist shot. Barrie is already playing at a high level. He's making quick decisions with the puck, good passes, not hesitating on defence and quarterbacking the PP well.

I never watched Elliot in junior hockey or the AHL, so I'll reserve judgement for him. From what I saw last year, I wasn't very impressed. He needs to be more assertive, and hopefully he gets that going soon.
The same criticism you make of Elliott (assertiveness) is the biggest criticism I have had about Barrie until the past few games. It would seem the combination of being our #1 dman, playing with Hejda and getting lots of PP time has helped his confidence.

But I still maintain Barrie holds back way too much and hesitates to make the creative play offensively out of fear for messing up and it hurts his game.

In comparison, Elliott was very assertive last year and dominated offensively.

Lonewolfe2015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 08:26 PM
avsfan09

Quote:
The same criticism you make of Elliott (assertiveness) is the biggest criticism I have had about Barrie until the past few games. It would seem the combination of being our #1 dman, playing with Hejda and getting lots of PP time has helped his confidence.

But I still maintain Barrie holds back way too much and hesitates to make the creative play offensively out of fear for messing up and it hurts his game.

In comparison, Elliott was very assertive last year and dominated offensively.
I don't remember this at all. Not saying your wrong, but what I remember is him turning the puck over alot when rushing the puck. The only time he was effective was with his wrist shot, and the end to end rushes. Hopefully he gets past his nervousness and gains some composure.

Barrie has been playing great lately, and I'm sure we might see more offensive creativity in the future. For now though, I'm extremely happy with his poise and puck movement. He's great at walking the line and dishing the puck. He's been making great pinches and looks very composed.

avsfan09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 08:30 PM
cgf
Fire Bednar

Elliott was pretty awesome his first handful of games until he started getting really pushed around more and more until he got shellshocked. But that first, I wanna say 5 or 6 games, he was awesome. Explosive with the puck and his wrister and was being aggressive.

cgf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 08:49 PM
hattrick3518

vCash: 2100
Quote:
Originally Posted by Av-merican View Post
And you were expecting more from a kid freshly recovered from a serious knee injury suddenly pulled from the AHL into the NHL before he was ready?
It's not like he's been killing it in the AHL, would like to see other players worked into the line-up, i.e. Gaunce...

But hey, what do I know. Elliott may be our best chance at this point.

hattrick3518 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 09:16 PM
Freudian
Clearly deranged

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by hattrick3518 View Post
It's not like he's been killing it in the AHL, would like to see other players worked into the line-up, i.e. Gaunce...

But hey, what do I know. Elliott may be our best chance at this point.
Sacco: "With those two guys in the lineup, it's pretty obvious: We're trying to generate some more offense from our back end. We're looking for a couple guys to help move the puck up to our forwards,"

I think it's less about Avs being sold on Elliott being ready and more about the role he plays.

Freudian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 12:48 AM
Unaffiliated

Main thing I remember from Elliott last year was beauty snipes from the point.

I think he beat Brodeur clean for his first goal?

edit: nvm, it was his second goal.

but still:

Best wrister on the team?

Unaffiliated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 01:53 AM
avsfan89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unaffiliated View Post
Main thing I remember from Elliott last year was beauty snipes from the point.

I think he beat Brodeur clean for his first goal?

edit: nvm, it was his second goal.

but still:

Best wrister on the team?
If Elliot becomes that good again from last year and improves upon it in conjunction with Barrie's own development. Colorado's defense would be just fine in the future:

(dman from ROR trade) - EJ
Hejda - Barrie
Elliot - Siemens

avsfan89 is offline   Reply With Quote