HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk > Polls - (hockey-related only)
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2

How far do the Toronto Maple Leafs Go?

View Poll Results: How far do the Leafs Go?
Miss Playoffs 189 45.54%
First Round Defeat 138 33.25%
Second Round Defeat 42 10.12%
Third Round Defeat 5 1.20%
Finals Defeat 5 1.20%
Stanley Cup Champs 36 8.67%
Voters: 415. You may not vote on this poll

Old
02-18-2013, 07:03 AM
SNES

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by BROOKLYnKNIGHTS View Post
I follow the Leafs mostly besides my team. I just feel they are due. The Leafs havent won a cup in a long time. I feel the same magic as Kings fans felt last season. Scrivens is not a savior but he has given this team so much hope for now and the future. His performance against the Senators is one for the books. He badly outplayed Craig andersen.
Wow, call the HoF, Scrivens went all Goalie mode on a AHL Bingo team! DEFINATELY one for the record books....they should make a movie! Or at least write some songs about the glory of Scrivens mighty win over th big bad bingo boys! Kinda rhymes...

SNES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 07:57 AM
sharks9

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atomos2 View Post
I guess the habs really do need Gomez if they were so good back then. Maybe you could trade him for Pachioretty, at least you won't have to worry about injuries or Tetanus shots.

Leafs have a decent chance of making the playoffs. If they are able to do this to a team, it shouldn't be that hard:

They just need a few more games against Montreal
Yea because you can clearly judge a team based off of one game

sharks9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 08:13 AM
Melnyks Mirage
We are what we are.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Litework View Post
Toronto had the higher seed in 3 of the 4 matchups. So Toronto was actually the favorites.
Not according to local media they weren't...we were touted as having more skill while the Leafs were derided as being old, creaky thugs. And if we were underdogs why did Team 1200 have a "Panic Watch" until 4 a.m. in the morning every time they beat us?
Yeah, we as a city took that just fine...

Anyway, to answer the OP's question, I said second round if they face Pittsburgh or not Carolina not Boston.

Last edited by Melnyks Mirage: 02-18-2013 at 11:53 AM.
Melnyks Mirage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 09:15 AM
Atomos2
#theProspectsGrim

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharks9 View Post
Yea because you can clearly judge a team based off of one game
Well I definitely can't judge a team based on your opinion. I basically lost all respect for your opinion back when you decided to go on the Prospects board and started ripping into Rielly at the beginning of the year when you had never even seen him play, all in the efforts to satisfy your hatred for the leafs.

There's no way you can make a conscious realistic assessment of the leafs because that leaf hate bias will always be creeping into your mind like a disease. Try working on that and then come back and make a realistic assessment without the snarky comments about the good ol' days or about history and please focus on the present.

Atomos2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 09:29 AM
sharks9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atomos2 View Post
Well I definitely can't judge a team based on your opinion. I basically lost all respect for your opinion back when you decided to go on the Prospects board and started ripping into Rielly at the beginning of the year when you had never even seen him play, all in the efforts to satisfy your hatred for the leafs.

There's no way you can make a conscious realistic assessment of the leafs because that leaf hate bias will always be creeping into your mind like a disease. Try working on that and then come back and make a realistic assessment without the snarky comments about the good ol' days or about history and please focus on the present.
Show me one time I ever hated on Rielly. I only ever ripped on the fact that Leafs fans believed Craig Button's ridiculous list.

In the present, the Leafs still probably won't make the playoffs. Maybe a first round exit at best, they have too many holes to go far.

sharks9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 09:30 AM
IceDaddy
24 and Counting

I think they will make it in and lose in the 1st round.

IceDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 10:05 AM
tony d
Thanks for memories

1st round exit

02-18-2013, 10:48 AM
Atomos2
#theProspectsGrim

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharks9 View Post
Show me one time I ever hated on Rielly. I only ever ripped on the fact that Leafs fans believed Craig Button's ridiculous list.

In the present, the Leafs still probably won't make the playoffs. Maybe a first round exit at best, they have too many holes to go far.
Bold 1: I can't bring a specific quote because the thread is closed, but for anyone who is interested, they can look upon the final pages of LD Morgan Rielly - Moose Jaw Warriors, WHL (2012 Draft) on the prospects board to see your work.

Bold 2: This looks like a reasonable statement that I would probably say too. If it wasn't for previous comments and remarks you have made about the franchise, I'd prolly value it a lot more.

Atomos2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 11:41 AM
LEAFANFORLIFE23

so much disrespect Oh well

LEAFANFORLIFE23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 11:47 AM
vanwest

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEAFANFORLIFE23 View Post
so much disrespect Oh well
You earn respect. Most of us see every year where the Leafs are projected in September/October to be in the playoffs only to fade after Christmas. Until the Leafs actually make the playoffs people are quite right to be sceptical.

vanwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 11:53 AM
LEAFANFORLIFE23

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanwest View Post
You earn respect. Most of us see every year where the Leafs are projected in September/October to be in the playoffs only to fade after Christmas. Until the Leafs actually make the playoffs people are quite right to be sceptical.
if you actually watched this team you know the difference between this team and ANY team Ron Wilson coached in Toronto

Old
02-18-2013, 11:55 AM
vanwest

Quote:
if you actually watched this team you know the difference between this team and ANY team Ron Wilson coached in Toronto
I have watched the team. Probably more objectively than you. Wilson also had the team on some good runs when he was coach. I understand why some Leaf fans want to blame everything on the coach and absolve the players of all responsibility but the fact remains that the players played poorly under both Wilson and Carlyle last year. Until those same players actually show that they can make the playoffs I don't think it's direspectful to be sceptical. You need to grow a thicker skin.

Old
02-18-2013, 12:06 PM
Pyrophorus

Send a message via MSN to Pyrophorus Send a message via Yahoo to Pyrophorus Send a message via Skype™ to Pyrophorus
Quote:
I have to see this!

Link?

projected by who?

Pyrophorus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 12:08 PM
Ari91

I'm not expecting playoffs but I'm hoping for them. If they make it, they'll be a lower seed team and the only way I see any chance of them making it past the first round as a lower seeded team is if they somehow draw Pittsburgh in the first round. I know playoff hockey is different but based on regular season play, for some reason the Leafs generally play well against Pittsburgh.

Ari91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 12:14 PM
LEAFANFORLIFE23

Quote:
I have watched the team. Probably more objectively than you. Wilson also had the team on some good runs when he was coach. I uuderstand why Leaf fans want to blame everything on the coach and absolve the players of all responsibility but the fact remains that the players played poorly under both Wilson and Carlyle last year. Until those same players actually show that they can make the playoffs I don't think it's direspectful to be sceptical. You need to grow a thicker skin.
so why is it that Randy can get so much more out of what is largely the same group as Wilson coached? the reason is Wilson was a coach that had NO system he just let the team play fire wagon hockey which would be fine if we could do it on a regular basis but we couldn't and EVERYONE knew it except Wilson .

Randy doesn't do that and thats why he has a team that could be tied for 2nd in the east after tonight.

Old
02-18-2013, 12:21 PM
vanwest

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEAFANFORLIFE23;59956697[B
]so why is it that Randy can get so much more out of what is largely the same group as Wilson coached?[/B] the reason is Wilson was a coach that had NO system he just let the team play fire wagon hockey which would be fine if we could do it on a regular basis but we couldn't and EVERYONE knew it except Wilson .

Randy doesn't do that and thats why he has a team that could be tied for 2nd in the east after tonight.
You're basing your analysis on 15 games?
I know that people on HF Boards have short memories but you're also 3 points out of 9th place. I can understand why Leaf fans are feeling pretty optimistic as they are off to a good start in a short season. But anyone who draws conclsuions on a 15 game sample size is jumping the gun, IMO. Again, we've seen this Leaf team play well in spurts before. Let's wait until at least the half way point until saying they've turned the corner. A couple of losses in a row or a couple of wins in a row could change everything.

Old
02-18-2013, 12:40 PM
LEAFANFORLIFE23

Quote:
You're basing your analysis on 15 games?
I know that people on HF Boards have short memories but you're also 3 points out of 9th place. I can understand why Leaf fans are feeling pretty optimistic as they are off to a good start in a short season. But anyone who draws conclsuions on a 15 game sample size is jumping the gun, IMO. Again, we've seen this Leaf team play well in spurts before. Let's wait until at least the half way point until saying they've turned the corner. A couple of losses in a row or a couple of wins in a row could change everything.
actually it's 33 the beginning of change could be seen last year when he came in but he was hired to late for it to show up in the standings but you could the boys buying in. This year it's showing up in the standings

Old
02-18-2013, 12:43 PM
vanwest

Quote:
actually it's 33 the beginning of change could be seen last year when he came in but he was hired to late for it to show up in the standings but you could the boys buying in. This year it's showing up in the standings
Now it's my turn to ask you if you watched them last year.
They played poorly last year after he came in too. It's a 15 game sample size where they have played well. Nothing more nothing less. As I say let's wait to see if this is a blip or a real change.

Old
02-18-2013, 12:50 PM
MessierII

Seen this movie before. I'd be suprised if they make it but who knows in this short year.

MessierII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 12:53 PM
ottawa*
go habs go

I'm hoping for a 9th place finish for them but I see them just making the playoffs...so I'll go with 1st round exit

ottawa* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 01:59 PM
HarrisonFord
He's baaaaaack

2nd round exit. They'll upset a team like Pitts or NYR in the 1st round, and then get shelled in the 2nd round due to lack of playoff experience and young players.

HarrisonFord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 02:14 PM
No Fun Shogun
Global Moderator
34-38-61-10-13

vCash: 123
Much as I wouldn't bet on the Wings to miss the playoffs, I'm not betting on the Leafs to make it.

Miss playoffs. They'll find a way to Leaf it up before the end of the regular season.

No Fun Shogun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 02:36 PM
JetsHomer

I think Tampa and Philly make playoffs of the teams that are currently out. Toronto and Ottawa both fall in the standings.

JetsHomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 02:46 PM
Kel Varnsen
Below: Nash's Heart

The leafs build their team with everyone elses scraps and spare parts. It's no wonder they always suck.

Kel Varnsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 02:55 PM
Tanner Glass
Call me Nils

I'll give it a week until they're out of a playoff position, which they won't regain