HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Colorado Avalanche
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The David Jones Thread

Old
02-18-2013, 03:12 AM
The Angry Teatowel
@AngryTeatowel

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dahrougem2 View Post
Lol care to elaborate? Team's aren't going to give the moon for O'Reilly, Jones for Stafford is essentially a wash in my eyes although Stafford has more upside. Obviously O'Reilly is valued much more than Ennis is but Ennis is no slouch, tons of offensive potential and he can play both centre and wing. Sekera is much, MUCH more valuable than Elliott, or Barrie those two are interchangeable, and could be a guy we pair Johnson with. 2nd rounder to entice them a bit more, it's going to likely be an early 2nd round pick
Terrible asset management on our part. You can drop at least the second from our side and change Barrie/Elliott into ROB or SOB.

The Angry Teatowel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 06:28 AM
Colorado Avalanche

He needs to get faster again. He used to get good chances by crashing the net with speed, now hes just too slow to do it and he loses the puck.

Colorado Avalanche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 07:09 AM
kento19
@kento19

vCash: 50
Where are we cap wise?
If we shipped him off would we need similar contract to reach the cap floor? I have no idea where this team is cap wise.

kento19 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 07:23 AM
The Angry Teatowel
@AngryTeatowel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevekento19 View Post
Where are we cap wise?
If we shipped him off would we need similar contract to reach the cap floor? I have no idea where this team is cap wise.
If only there was a well known website for this kind of thing

Old
02-18-2013, 07:25 AM
Lonewolfe2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado Avalanche View Post
He needs to get faster again. He used to get good chances by crashing the net with speed, now hes just too slow to do it and he loses the puck.
He looked faster to start out the year, I wonder if he injury had something to do with it.

I'm really perplexed by the guy though. He's so much streakier than he started his career out as. For whatever reason, the guy seems to have forgotten what made him successful.

As with all players, getting rid of Sacco could revive their careers. I'd had to see us give up on Jonesy before changing coaches.

Lonewolfe2015 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 07:26 AM
kento19
@kento19

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Angry Teatowel View Post
If only there was a well known website for this kind of thing
What's the cap minimum though?

Old
02-18-2013, 07:40 AM
The Angry Teatowel
@AngryTeatowel

Quote:
If only there was a well known internet search engine...

Old
02-18-2013, 07:43 AM
Lonewolfe2015

Quote:
http://letmebingthatforyou.com/?q=Wh...alary%20Cap%3F

Lonewolfe2015 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 08:22 AM
Bubba Thudd
Infer-Action!!!

vCash: 7757
Bing sux.

Bubba Thudd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 08:41 AM
Pierce Hawthorne
Formerly Avsare1

As a couple others have said, im not all that worried. I think he can still turn it around.

Whatever we get from the Oreilly trade will likely help him a lot actually. If we trade for an OFD for ROR then that should mean more shots to the net from our D and that's where Jones is best, when he can clean up the garbage. If we trade for another Top 6 forward then that forward will likely take Pajamas spot in the Top 6 so Jones will have another good forward to play alongside.

I wouldn't buy Jones out yet anyway, at least wait till after the 13/14 season to see if he cant turn it around then. We don't have any contracts that are expiring after this season, we don't really need cap space yet.

Besides I'd much rather see our 2 amnesty buyouts go on the likes of Zanon/Hunwick/Obrien than on Jones, they have been worse even during one of Jones worst times.

Pierce Hawthorne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 08:45 AM
Colorado Avalanche

Pyjamas has been better than Jones.. He deserves more top-6 ice time than Jones.

Colorado Avalanche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 08:56 AM
AslanRH
Guenin Get Out

vCash: 354
Quote:
Terrible asset management on our part. You can drop at least the second from our side and change Barrie/Elliott into ROB or SOB.
May need to package Gaunce instead of a vet Dman, but agree that the value is fair.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonewolfe2015 View Post
He looked faster to start out the year, I wonder if he injury had something to do with it.

I'm really perplexed by the guy though. He's so much streakier than he started his career out as. For whatever reason, the guy seems to have forgotten what made him successful.

As with all players, getting rid of Sacco could revive their careers. I'd had to see us give up on Jonesy before changing coaches.
Quit putting those silly "The Perks of Firing Sacco" thoughts in my head! Its like buying a lotto ticket: start thinking of all the things I could do if I win, but in the end I wind up disappointed and out a couple bucks.

AslanRH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 09:44 AM
forsbergavs32

Just baffles me that we gave him that contract, yet are low balling our top point producer from last season.

forsbergavs32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 11:51 AM
CB Joe

vCash: 544
Quote:
Originally Posted by forsbergavs32 View Post
Just baffles me that we gave him that contract, yet are low balling our top point producer from last season.
2 yrs for 7m is not low balling.

CB Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 12:18 PM
forsbergavs32

Quote:
Originally Posted by CB Joe View Post
2 yrs for 7m is not low balling.
ROR to me is worth more than Jones considering how inconsistent Jones has been.

Old
02-18-2013, 12:22 PM
Huis Clos*
Creamy Hamstrings

Quote:
For the millionth time plus one: UFA versus RFA.

Huis Clos* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 12:22 PM
kento19
@kento19

Quote:
Quote:
UFA vs RFA... Again...

Old
02-18-2013, 01:03 PM
forsbergavs32

Quote:
UFA vs RFA... Again...
Yes I understand that UFAs cost more...however, Jones should have never been re-signed in the first place, he has been streaky over his career, and was not worth that money, UFA or not. While O'Reilly has shown improvement every year in his game, plus he's younger and is a better 2 way forward than Jones will ever be.

Old
02-18-2013, 01:11 PM
AslanRH
Guenin Get Out

vCash: 354
Quote:
Yes I understand that UFAs cost more...however, Jones should have never been re-signed in the first place, he has been streaky over his career, and was not worth that money, UFA or not. While O'Reilly has shown improvement every year in his game, plus he's younger and is a better 2 way forward than Jones will ever be.
I would bet that at the time, more than 5 teams would have signed Jones to about the same deal. It just hasn't worked out so far. Its frustrating as a fan, but it happens.

AslanRH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 09:05 PM
dahrougem2

Quote:
If you do this, then the Sabres laugh and hang up the phone. O'Byrne and O'Brien suck, they're 3rd pairing defenseman at best, Sekera is a real good player, you won't get him by removing a pick AND taking the young defenseman out. We are going to have one of Barrie/Elliott, why do we need two? To get pushed around like we had been a few years ago again with the Liles-anchored defense? No thanks

O'Reilly holding out lowers his value, so we won't get what everyone wants for him. Tyler Ennis is a great player, works his tail off every shift and has tremendous skill. Sure, he's a little small but with guys like Landeskog, McGinn, Downie etc I don't think that's going to be a problem.

Then, you compare Jones and Stafford. Stafford has been in the league longer, has two 20 goal seasons and a 30 goal season, while Jones has two 20 goal seasons yet has never broken 50 points, something Stafford has done twice. Its not bad asset management, its a great deal for us, and for the Sabres they get a great two-way centre in O'Reilly, a puck-moving defenseman who's young, a pick, and someone to replace Stafford

dahrougem2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 09:12 PM
ABasin
Crow is yummy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonewolfe2015 View Post

I posted this thought in another thread a week or so back, but IMO the issue with Jones is that he's a straight one trick pony: he's good at getting garbage goals around the net. He positions himself pretty well around there, has reasonably quick hands, and has the size to take the beating. Other than that, his game is really below average all around.

The problem with this - and the lack of goal production by Jones so far - is that the Avs (particularly their defensemen) aren't getting pucks to the net, where Jones can do his one thing. And if Jones doesn't do his one thing, he's not a terribly useful hockey player. He's not otherwise awful, but he's really not that good either.

ABasin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 09:14 PM
Avsboy

I think Jones is a bit overpaid, but I would only get worried about him if he doesn't put up at least 8 goals by season's end. He is streaky and the D this year has done nothing offensively, so that explains a lot. Maybe with Landeskog and his puck control on the other end of Stastny, and with Barrie and perhaps an offensive defenseman return from RoR, Jones can finally set up shop in front of the net.

Avsboy is online now   Reply With Quote