HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk > Polls - (hockey-related only)
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2

Does WSH regret trading Varlamov?

View Poll Results: well
Yes they do 39 48.75%
No Holtby is fine 41 51.25%
Voters: 80. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
02-18-2013, 12:11 AM
  #1
Puckgenius*
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: At the rink
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,558
vCash: 500
Does WSH regret trading Varlamov?

And perhaps should have traded Neuvirth instead? I always thought trading Varlamov was a risky move as he just had too much upside and got the wrong end of the stick in WSH.

Puckgenius* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 12:12 AM
  #2
Hutzler
Registered User
 
Hutzler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,154
vCash: 500
Hindsight is 20/20

I'm sure they do a bit...but I think Holtby will be just fine.

Hutzler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 12:15 AM
  #3
LatvianTwist
Global Moderator
 
LatvianTwist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Houston
Country: Tibet
Posts: 18,483
vCash: 500
Depends on how those picks do. Wouldn't have gotten the same return for a different goaltender.

LatvianTwist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 12:31 AM
  #4
DeluzioN
Registered User
 
DeluzioN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 104
vCash: 500
Was the pick WSH received the one they used to select Forsberg? If yes, shouldn't we see how he does at the NHL level before deciding if they regret it?

DeluzioN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 12:31 AM
  #5
Hardyvan123
tweet@HardyintheWack
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,108
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Puckgenius View Post
And perhaps should have traded Neuvirth instead? I always thought trading Varlamov was a risky move as he just had too much upside and got the wrong end of the stick in WSH.
Hotlby is fine and they got 2 really good picks out of that trade, flipped one to Dallas but the other one got lucky with Forsberg slipping down last year.

No way they regret that move

Washington has the wrong mix of players in front of the goalie and until they figure that out they won't go anywhere.

Hardyvan123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 12:33 AM
  #6
Evincar
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Evincar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 3,451
vCash: 500
Im sure it will be the Avs who regretted trading for him.

Evincar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 12:34 AM
  #7
Machinehead
Moderator
Hank, pls
 
Machinehead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: New York New York
Country: United States
Posts: 37,152
vCash: 500
Certainly not tonight they didn't. Holtby was amazing.

__________________
Machinehead is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 12:35 AM
  #8
Kershaw
 
Kershaw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Country:
Posts: 25,519
vCash: 500
Varlamov will win a Vezina or two before his career is over imo. So yes, they will regret trading him.

Kershaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 12:39 AM
  #9
CoachBadkitten
Matt Hunwick
 
CoachBadkitten's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Colorado
Country: United States
Posts: 4,356
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Litework View Post
Im sure it will be the Avs who regretted trading for him.


Good one.

CoachBadkitten is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 12:42 AM
  #10
Drury_Sakic
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 3,364
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Litework View Post
Im sure it will be the Avs who regretted trading for him.
Not at the moment at least. Varly has been the only player outside of Duchene who has shown up for every game this season. Has he been perfect, no, but seems to be one of a small handful of guys that are working hard on the Avs roster and he shows a "I give a ****" level that again only he and Duchene have this year.

Even against Duchene he may very well be the Avs MVP right now. If the Avs have a snowballs chance in hell to make the playoffs, Varly will be the reason it happens.

If the Avs can field a half average NHL team sometime in the next 4-5 years, Varly has a legit chance at winning a cup given how he has played thus far.

That said, the Caps will only really regret trading Varly insomuch as he maybe could have kept the contention window of the team open another year or two. Odds are one of the two young guys will rebound and develop into a decent to great NHL goalie, it just may take a year or two...and during that time the Caps may have to tread water. The real mistake it seems was in the Caps not bringing in a vet backup ( like the Avs did with Giggy) to spell the bad streaks by the younger goalies. I guess they tried that with Vokoun, but he never seem like a mentor type guy to begin with.

It may even work out as a plus for the Caps if one of the two drafted players works out or is used in a trade to bring in a final piece. The only real x-factor in all of it is what do you do with Ovi if he starts to become unhappy playing for a team that is in a minor re-build? I do not see Ovi as the type of guy that is willing to ride out a 2-3 year re-tooling of the team. (but I could be wrong) Again, that said, I don't think the Caps continue to struggle past this season if they are smart on the UFA market and one of the two goalies gets his game figured out this summer.

Drury_Sakic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 12:49 AM
  #11
Evincar
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Evincar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 3,451
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drury_Sakic View Post
Not at the moment at least. Varly has been the only player outside of Duchene who has shown up for every game this season. Has he been perfect, no, but seems to be one of a small handful of guys that are working hard on the Avs roster and he shows a "I give a ****" level that again only he and Duchene have this year.

Even against Duchene he may very well be the Avs MVP right now. If the Avs have a snowballs chance in hell to make the playoffs, Varly will be the reason it happens.

If the Avs can field a half average NHL team sometime in the next 4-5 years, Varly has a legit chance at winning a cup given how he has played thus far.

That said, the Caps will only really regret trading Varly insomuch as he maybe could have kept the contention window of the team open another year or two. Odds are one of the two young guys will rebound and develop into a decent to great NHL goalie, it just may take a year or two...and during that time the Caps may have to tread water. The real mistake it seems was in the Caps not bringing in a vet backup ( like the Avs did with Giggy) to spell the bad streaks by the younger goalies. I guess they tried that with Vokoun, but he never seem like a mentor type guy to begin with.
My comment wasnt a knock on Varly. I would never trade a 1st round pick (which turned out to be 11 overall) for a goalie. Especially for one that only played 60 games in the NHL. Just look at the elite goalies in the league today and where they were drafted.

Evincar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 12:53 AM
  #12
Duchene2MacKinnon
71****70
 
Duchene2MacKinnon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Country: Canada
Posts: 15,110
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Litework View Post
My comment wasnt a knock on Varly. I would never trade a 1st round pick (which turned out to be 11 overall) for a goalie. Especially for one that only played 60 games in the NHL. Just look at the elite goalies in the league today and where they were drafted.
Would you draft a goalie in the first round?

Duchene2MacKinnon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 01:00 AM
  #13
Evincar
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Evincar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 3,451
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronaldo View Post
Would you draft a goalie in the first round?
Nope. Just to name a few examples: Jonathan Quick was drafted in in the 3rd round. Lundqvist was drafted in the 7th round.

Evincar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 01:02 AM
  #14
skip2mybordeleau
We're not that good!
 
skip2mybordeleau's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,799
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Litework View Post
Nope. Just to name a few examples: Jonathan Quick was drafted in in the 3rd round. Lundqvist was drafted in the 7th round.
carey price?

skip2mybordeleau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 01:05 AM
  #15
Alain Racette
Registered User
 
Alain Racette's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,335
vCash: 500
If anything, VARLY himself certainly doesn't regret the trade to Colorado... it saved more than his career.

He stated that if he wasn't the starting goalie in Washington, he was playing for Yaroslavl.

Alain Racette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 01:08 AM
  #16
Duchene2MacKinnon
71****70
 
Duchene2MacKinnon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Country: Canada
Posts: 15,110
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Litework View Post
Nope. Just to name a few examples: Jonathan Quick was drafted in in the 3rd round. Lundqvist was drafted in the 7th round.
Fair enough but many gm's disagree with you.

Just a few examples Price was drafted 5th overall. Luongo drafted 4th

Duchene2MacKinnon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 01:13 AM
  #17
jfisher6
#thestructure
 
jfisher6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Denver
Country: United States
Posts: 3,140
vCash: 50
It's too early to tell.

Mostly because we haven't seen what Forsberg can really do. The 2nd was a throw in in another trade, so it didn't hinge on this trade to happen.

I can tell you however, from EVERYTHING I have read, and all of the games that I have watched. Not for a MOMENT do I regret the Avs making that trade.

Varlamov is an amazing goaltender with elite reflexes, he's young and still finding his way, but from what we've seen, he'll be a #1 for years to come, and I hope he plays for us for the rest of his career. I honestly wouldn't trade him for any of his contemporaries (i.e. Schneider, Rask, Pavelec, Lehtonen, etc) and I am so glad that Washington decided to trade him to us.

jfisher6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 01:41 AM
  #18
Benny FTW
TurnSoonestToTheSea
 
Benny FTW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Kingston
Country: Canada
Posts: 22,903
vCash: 50
Yes they miss him but im sure they love Forsberg.

Benny FTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 01:52 AM
  #19
Evincar
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Evincar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 3,451
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronaldo View Post
Fair enough but many gm's disagree with you.

Just a few examples Price was drafted 5th overall. Luongo drafted 4th
Notable goalies drafted in the 1st round: Price, Luongo, Rask, Lehtonen, Varlamov, Fleury, Ward.

Notable goalies drafted in the 2rd round or later/undrafted: Quick, Miller, Lundqvist, Rinne, Smith, Bryzgalov, Anderson, Backstrom, Halak, Vokoun, Hiller, Kipprusoff, Howard, Crawford.

Still look like a good idea to draft a goalie in the 1st round? And Rask was traded for Andrew Raycroft straight up, while Lehtonen was traded for a 4th round pick and a prospect.


Last edited by Evincar: 02-18-2013 at 01:58 AM.
Evincar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 02:12 AM
  #20
jfisher6
#thestructure
 
jfisher6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Denver
Country: United States
Posts: 3,140
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Litework View Post
Notable goalies drafted in the 1st round: Price, Luongo, Rask, Lehtonen, Varlamov, Fleury, Ward.

Notable goalies drafted in the 2rd round or later/undrafted: Quick, Miller, Lundqvist, Rinne, Smith, Bryzgalov, Anderson, Backstrom, Halak, Vokoun, Hiller, Kipprusoff, Howard, Crawford.
That's 1 round vs 2+3+4+5+6+7+(8) every year PLUS undrafted players.

Drafting goalies in any round will be a gamble, they are so hard to project

jfisher6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 02:12 AM
  #21
Aucoin11*
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 939
vCash: 500
What washington should regret is hiring a series of coaches that are passing over the superior goalie for some rebound machine with a weak glove.

Aucoin11* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 02:14 AM
  #22
Aucoin11*
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 939
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Litework View Post
Notable goalies drafted in the 1st round: Price, Luongo, Rask, Lehtonen, Varlamov, Fleury, Ward.

Notable goalies drafted in the 2rd round or later/undrafted: Quick, Miller, Lundqvist, Rinne, Smith, Bryzgalov, Anderson, Backstrom, Halak, Vokoun, Hiller, Kipprusoff, Howard, Crawford.

Still look like a good idea to draft a goalie in the 1st round? And Rask was traded for Andrew Raycroft straight up, while Lehtonen was traded for a 4th round pick and a prospect.
Wait so you're saying there's more goalies from the 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th, 6th, and 7th round combined than in JUST the first round? So the combination of 6 rounds does better than one?

Wow. Terrific information.

Your last tidbit speaks to horrific management, not the value of drafting in the first round.

Aucoin11* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 02:29 AM
  #23
CoachBadkitten
Matt Hunwick
 
CoachBadkitten's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Colorado
Country: United States
Posts: 4,356
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Litework View Post
Nope. Just to name a few examples: Jonathan Quick was drafted in in the 3rd round. Lundqvist was drafted in the 7th round.
The Avs were in desperate times regarding a goalie. They couldn't wait until a late round pick panned out for them. They knew Varly was a starter and a good one also. He also fits the age core perfectly. I would make that trade 10 out of 10 times.

CoachBadkitten is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 02:31 AM
  #24
Wizeman*
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 2,624
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Puckgenius View Post
And perhaps should have traded Neuvirth instead? I always thought trading Varlamov was a risky move as he just had too much upside and got the wrong end of the stick in WSH.
He over plays the puck otherwise is a solid netminder. Never winning a Vezina but solid. Do they miss him?

Nope. They have two good young goalies to replace him

Wizeman* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 02:33 AM
  #25
Wizeman*
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 2,624
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Litework View Post
Notable goalies drafted in the 1st round: Price, Luongo, Rask, Lehtonen, Varlamov, Fleury, Ward.

Notable goalies drafted in the 2rd round or later/undrafted: Quick, Miller, Lundqvist, Rinne, Smith, Bryzgalov, Anderson, Backstrom, Halak, Vokoun, Hiller, Kipprusoff, Howard, Crawford.

Still look like a good idea to draft a goalie in the 1st round? And Rask was traded for Andrew Raycroft straight up, while Lehtonen was traded for a 4th round pick and a prospect.
Cory Schneider?

Wizeman* is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:19 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.