HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Lundy and Carter to get a look flipping lines???

Closed Thread

Old
09-23-2003, 11:19 AM
JR#9*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edge
If he doesnt work, he doesnt work but you gotta at least find out. You cant just keep throwing carter out there because he "should" work with that line combo.

And having watched carter very closely for years in edmonton he benefited a lot from a lack of forward depth and from playing with names like smyth, weight and comrie.
Never said that Carter should be kept w/Lindros if he doesn't start clicking with him.The debate became who's game is more suited for Lindros' wing.

And as for the Carter in EDM thing, I'm fully aware that he is a guy who feeds off of who he plays with and that's why he scores the bulk of his goals from within 5 ft of the net with rebounds of others shots and slamdunks off of others setups and that's why I think he'd do good as a cleanup man going to the net as he does playing with Lindros-Rosie.

Old
09-23-2003, 11:19 AM
Melrose_Jr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKLOOCH22
There is no use to have Carter around so now Sather can add to the system without taking away anything from the team by getting a good prospect and pick.
I totally disagree with that. I'm not a huge Carter fan either, but his versatility could prove to be invaluable when injuries strike the top 2 lines. Besides, what can his value possibly be right now with a number of quality UFA's left on the market?

Old
09-23-2003, 11:24 AM
Edge

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR#9
Never said that Carter should be kept w/Lindros if he doesn't start clicking with him.The debate became who's game is more suited for Lindros' wing.

And as for the Carter in EDM thing, I'm fully aware that he is a guy who feeds off of who he plays with and that's why he scores the bulk of his goals from within 5 ft of the net with rebounds of others shots and slamdunks off of others setups and that's why I think he'd do good as a cleanup man going to the net as he does playing with Lindros-Rosie.

Honestly i think lundmark MIGHT {keyword} be a better fit. He camps in front of the net and he's hungry. Now thats not a gurantee but its certainly worth a look.

But see Carter was never a slam the puck in from 5 feet type of guy, that was smythy. Carter, as funny as this sounds, was just kinda there. The oilers havent really missed him because he didnt bring anything "special" to the lineup. he was a good player but borderline as a core player.

I think he could be use on a line with holik and would add some offensive punch to the line, whereas that touch might not be quite a fit for the top line.

Old
09-23-2003, 11:28 AM
JR#9*

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKLOOCH22

Carter cannot stickhandle and does not have Lundmark's "new school" type of moves. Carter is not a fast skater. Carter does not play a crash and bang style suitable on the 3rd-4th lines. Carter is good on a bad team.

Anson Carter is not the RW for Lindros' line. If he gets pushed down to Holik's line he is still taking up a spot from a guy that has even only a single element to his game. Moore should be on the team and Carter should be gone for a pick or prospect(s).
Jsut what exactly are these "new school" moves that Jamie performers so well??

And Carter is a good player on a bad team?I guess being the LEADING scorer on a PLAYOFF team makes him not good enough for us???Or being a very good player on a playoff Boston team where he was good enough to return a in-his prime Guerin straight up backs up your point.

You're killing me here with this.Now not only Jamie should bump Carter off the line but Moore should now bump him off the team???

I'm not even going to bother with this stuff.

Old
09-23-2003, 11:31 AM
JR#9*

Quote:
Honestly i think lundmark MIGHT {keyword} be a better fit. He camps in front of the net and he's hungry.
When have you seen Jamie "camp" infront of the net as a NYR????

Has never happened.

Old
09-23-2003, 11:34 AM
JR#9*

Quote:
But see Carter was never a slam the puck in from 5 feet type of guy, that was smythy. Carter, as funny as this sounds, was just kinda there.
So what kind of goals did Anson pump in to net 25 and 28 goals the last 2 yrs???

They weren't breakaway's, they weren't slappers, they were the garbage goals from right infront of the net and the word that came up time after time after the trade from Edm fans describing his play was "garbage goals", often timely ones.

And when you say"just kinda there" doing it 28 times in season seems like a hell of alot of luck and the only way you score a goal by "just kinda being there" is it it takes place right infront of the net.

Old
09-23-2003, 11:41 AM
Edge

they were often in the slot as smyth distracted everyone and comrie set up a play. all he had to do was stand there, the other two guys did 95% of the work. Even then most edmonton fans wanted to rip their heads off because he'd do nothing through most of the game and walk away with a goal.

just like there are some guys who do a ton of things and dont show up on a scorecard, there are other who it's the reverse.

I am not saying Carter is worthless but with the rangers first line you dont have someone standing in the net freeing space for him, and Carter is NOT going to be the guy who does that job.

Lundmark on the other hand DOES create havoc in front of the net, it's not a matter of who is necessarily the best player at the moment but rather which player is the best for what is needed. Carters style doesnt match that. Now if this was 7 years ago and Graves was standing in the net and messier was "Creating" offense then yes, but Rucinsky certainly isnt going to standing in the net so carter's "game" is compromised in that situation much the same way that i dont want to see Lundmark or moore as a third line checking winger.

Old
09-23-2003, 11:53 AM
JR#9*

Quote:
they were often in the slot as smyth distracted everyone and comrie set up a play. all he had to do was stand there, the other two guys did 95% of the work.

Lundmark on the other hand DOES create havoc in front of the net,
I think your getting carried away and understating Carter';s game.You don't put up that many goals and become a team leading scorer by other's doing 95% of the work.

And if Smyth and Carter both were in the goal mouth that's a pretty damn crowded net.

As for the Lundy stuff, look I'm a fan of the kid but some of this stuff is getting out of hand with analyzing his play.

I'd love to hear of one example where he "created havoc" infront of the net or how he "camps out infront of the net" b/c both are simply untrue.

Old
09-23-2003, 12:08 PM
Edge

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR#9
I think your getting carried away and understating Carter';s game.You don't put up that many goals and become a team leading scorer by other's doing 95% of the work.

And if Smyth and Carter both were in the goal mouth that's a pretty damn crowded net.

As for the Lundy stuff, look I'm a fan of the kid but some of this stuff is getting out of hand with analyzing his play.

I'd love to hear of one example where he "created havoc" infront of the net or how he "camps out infront of the net" b/c both are simply untrue.
1. Nope watched him for several years as an oiler fan. Go over there and ask em if they miss him if ya wanbt.

2. He was the leading scorer because Smyth spent 15 some odd games on the DL. Eric Lindros was out number two scorer, but how many opportunities did he create?

3. You're right that is crowded net, which is why i said carter wasnt in the net, NOR was he in the net after smyth went out. Kind funny how the line went down after smyth was out. Carter didnt go to the net and just standing there didnt help much. Thus marchant and york become the most valuable players. So based on that, at BEST Carter was the number 5 guy on the chart behind Smyth, Comrie,Marchant, and York. And considering Comrie {i've made it and dont have to work hard} is ahead of him says something.

4. Analyzing his play? How do you mean? He goes to the net and stands there, he goes in the corners and he has enough skill in his game that he could possibly be a fit on the line. What are we supposed to analyze? His hair cut?

5. As for the front of the net, watch shifts where he was out there with an offensive player that roamed around {Bure, Kovalev, even Nedved} almost time after time he went right to the net to see if he knock something in, if another player went to the net, he went to work the corners. There was a game in march against the mighty ducks that the rangers won 5-2 or something like that. I remember watching him do that all night. I use that an example because that was one of the few nights the rangers looked to have a game plan and it worked. They dominated a team that played a 7th game for the cup.

That wasnt the only time but it was a good example {i cant recall specific games, i'm not a machine}. This year he is a little wiser, a little older, a bit stronger and the lindros line is looking for exactly that type of play from the RW.

Again one cant say whether it will work but its certainly worth a look. Carter doesnt play the style that RW needs to. I dont know if lundmark will consistently either, but we arent going to find out by not trying it.

Old
09-23-2003, 03:07 PM
Lundyfan

Send a message via Yahoo to Lundyfan
JR, I'm starting to think you don't watch that close. Don't yell, I mean that nicely. Jamie's first goal as a Ranger was a tap in, to the left of the net. He scored 2 goals in the Washington game, both were deflections from in front of the net. He IS in front of the net a lot and has been even in the AHL. A friend of mine who went to a LOT of Hartford games even made the comment that he liked the way Jamie set up in front of the net. Does he crash in and stand there like Graves did? NO, at least not all the time. But to say he never does is wrong.

Old
09-23-2003, 05:31 PM
RANGERDIEHARD

Quote:
Originally Posted by klingsor
I'll take your word on Lundmark, but to date he has not shown the tenacity of either York or Fleury.
I'll back crack puck on Lundmarks' style of play in Juniors. Although I've never seen Lundmark play in Juniors, his profile stated that he would rarely score the pretty goal but releyed heavily on going to the net hard. Also Lindros has had success with Rucinsky and Bure as well, so I don't think it's correct to say that he needs a power winger to go to the net. I think trying Lundmark at RW on Lindros' line is worth a try; he plays a North-South game and cycles well.

Old
09-23-2003, 05:41 PM
Edge

i think the point that all of us are missing here is that it's only a tryout. Nothing more nothing less, if it works awesome, if not, ah well.

Whether you think he is more of a perimeter player or goes hard to the net it's worth a shot. I don't care if he shoots the puck out of his @$$ if it goes in and the line works.

If it doesn't then they try something else.

Personally i don't believe carter is a fit.

Honestly i dont know if lundmark is a fit {we're all gonna find out}.

Interested in the idea of Moore as a RW, in college he came off that right side strongly and though i don't think he is a first line player, character might just be enough to push him a little further than his talents which are pretty good as is.

Old
09-23-2003, 06:47 PM
Barnaby

It's worth a shoot trying Lundmark. Maybe he'll have the enthusiasm to kickstart Lindros. If nothing else he'll get alot of minutes.

Old
09-23-2003, 07:11 PM
JCProdigy

Quote:
Whether you think he is more of a perimeter player or goes hard to the net it's worth a shot. I don't care if he shoots the puck out of his @$$ if it goes in and the line works.
Well that certainly would be an interesting sight to see now wouldn't it! But seriously you're right. There is know hurt in trying to see if Lundmark would work better on the top line then Carter. If he doesn't then hopefully he stays on Holik's right side.

JR, I understand that Lindros has had his best 'career' success with a guy like Leclair but that was pre concussions. This isn't the same player that played in Philly. he can't afford to go crashing into the zone like that bull in the china shop. I still believe he can be effective WHEN healthy but he's different now. He's ammended his game to use the great skill that he has to survive in the NHL. Remember he was dubbed the next great thing because he brought a skill set that nobody had seen on a man that size. At the age of 30 (31?) I believe he still has that skill set which I think he could use just as well with Lundmark as Carter.

Old
09-23-2003, 09:39 PM
Edge

i'd like to think either way Lundmark is going to have a bigger role this season.....but i know i am probably asking for too much.

Closed Thread