HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Don Cherry's Comments on Oilers website

Old
02-18-2013, 09:22 AM
oilers25

vCash: 500
Don Cherry's Comments on Oilers website

When I heard his comments, I was also thinking along those lines. He said the offense they are playing is not suitable for today's NHL as everybody tightens up on defense and plays a tight defensive system (look no furthur then Pacific division except Anaheim and Central divisionm except Hawks). I think we cannot play that Oilers style hockey as we don't have the personnel (bigger players).

I wouldn't mid Ralph playing a decent defensive system like MacT as 95% of the teams in the NHL play a form of trap. We saw that against Sharks and Flames that when they clog up neutral zone, we cannot score as much.

Also, Cherry said we need bigger players (no surprise) there and mentioned Leafs on how Brown, orr and Fraser are there now so no one takes liberties with skilled players and he is correct that we don't have many of them on our roster. I would love a Clifford or Brown.

Last thing he mentioned was veteran leadership and how important that was. That;s good that we havce smyth but he wasn;'t impressed with benching. We do need veteran leadership and Smyth who may be slower as Olympic Rings and Stanley Cup appearance and Canada Cup/World cup/Team Canada appearances and a great person from what I know!

oilers25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 09:37 AM
oilers2k10
Yak Don't Back Down

vCash: 203
Oilers do need more size and grit...I think Brian Boyle could be brought in as a 13th forward..him along with one more 8 minute a night tough guy up front who can skate, a healthy Eager..and a 7th defenceman who can play decent, hit and fight (improved version of C.Teubert) and with a healthy Jones we are set (not that Jones intimidates opposition, but probably could if he wasnt so fussy about his hair)..

Oilers are on the right path...Hartikainen can skate, hit..doesnt really fight..

Oilers need to ship out 2 veteran non hitting, non fighting players and bring in a few guys who can do the job, while still put up 5-10 goals a season..

oilers2k10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 10:17 AM
worraps
Acceptance

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by oilers25 View Post
When I heard his comments, I was also thinking along those lines. He said the offense they are playing is not suitable for today's NHL as everybody tightens up on defense and plays a tight defensive system (look no furthur then Pacific division except Anaheim and Central divisionm except Hawks). I think we cannot play that Oilers style hockey as we don't have the personnel (bigger players).

I wouldn't mid Ralph playing a decent defensive system like MacT as 95% of the teams in the NHL play a form of trap. We saw that against Sharks and Flames that when they clog up neutral zone, we cannot score as much.

Also, Cherry said we need bigger players (no surprise) there and mentioned Leafs on how Brown, orr and Fraser are there now so no one takes liberties with skilled players and he is correct that we don't have many of them on our roster. I would love a Clifford or Brown.

Last thing he mentioned was veteran leadership and how important that was. That;s good that we havce smyth but he wasn;'t impressed with benching. We do need veteran leadership and Smyth who may be slower as Olympic Rings and Stanley Cup appearance and Canada Cup/World cup/Team Canada appearances and a great person from what I know!
Everyone in the Pacific and Central Division has bigger players, the reason the Blackhawks and Ducks are tremendously successful is because they open things up and let their tremendously skilled players play in an offensive system. Toews and Kane aren't dominating anyone with their size.

Strong physical players would definitely augment the Oilers offense; giving it a different look to throw against the opposition (the 80's Oilers epitomized this with Gretzky-Kurri being followed up by Messier-Anderson) but in the absence of strong physical players, you don't trap.

Let the elite skill develop, naturally, in an offensive system and fill in the holes as you can. You're not going to win anything in the long term unless you address overall team toughness but you also aren't going to win anything in the long term if you reign the kids in and try to make them into something they aren't.

worraps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 10:51 AM
Tarus
Fire Mact

He's right the Oilers need more veterans, but his comments about "what they are doing to Smyth", and about how Smyth should be one of the leaders on the team shows he simply doesn't watch the team or the players.

He's also is still stuck on the enforcer stuff still. Does anyone really believe that the Oilers would be able to get through the neutral zone trap if they had 3 tough guys on the 4th line? That "playing like they are a foot taller" would force teams to back off on their defensive pressure? It's absurd. The Oilers need more size to balance out the roster, but they do not need Don Cherry's antiquated ideas about size and toughness, the Oilers simply aren't losing games due to cheapshots or playing scared.

The book on the Oilers is that you don't give them space, force them to make decisions faster than they want to, and pressure them into mistakes their inexperience is naturally prone to making - the type of things that only time, experience, and execution can rectify. All things a 4th line plug who acts nasty and takes insigating penalties will never be able to help with.

Tarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 11:00 AM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

What else would Don Cherry say? Pretty predictable view from an analyst that has always been a proponent of the rough stuff aspect of the game.

I remain unconvinced and as an Oiler fan believe that speed, skill, team game, can prevail.

Its also up to the NHL and what course they want to set. Allow the thugs to control the game or the players with skill. Right now they've made a decision and hacks like the Flyers are struggling. Chicago meanwhile the best team in the league.

At some point the league needs to realize what really is the best sell for the game.

Heres the thing. Nobody was too enamoured with watching the Flyers, Bruins, Flames in the 80's. But everybody around the league would come out to see the vaunted Oilers and they were the biggest draw in every rink.

We're setting the table for that again and in an entertainment industry the NHL needs to figure out how its bread is buttered. Skilled product or WWE **** and players like Marchand, or Rinaldo ruining games.

Replacement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 11:15 AM
molsonmuscle360

His reasons for what we should get are the reasons a lot of other analysts were excited to see us this year. I remember Lebrun saying before the lockout ended that a lot of NHL officials were hoping that the Oilers start changing the coaching style of the NHL and get it back to a strong offensive game.

molsonmuscle360 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 11:20 AM
Tarus
Fire Mact

Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
What else would Don Cherry say? Pretty predictable view from an analyst that has always been a proponent of the rough stuff aspect of the game.

I remain unconvinced and as an Oiler fan believe that speed, skill, team game, can prevail.

Its also up to the NHL and what course they want to set. Allow the thugs to control the game or the players with skill. Right now they've made a decision and hacks like the Flyers are struggling. Chicago meanwhile the best team in the league.

At some point the league needs to realize what really is the best sell for the game.

Heres the thing. Nobody was too enamoured with watching the Flyers, Bruins, Flames in the 80's. But everybody around the league would come out to see the vaunted Oilers and they were the biggest draw in every rink.

We're setting the table for that again and in an entertainment industry the NHL needs to figure out how its bread is buttered. Skilled product or WWE **** and players like Marchand, or Rinaldo ruining games.
The same Oilers that ran with enforcers on Gretzky's wing? Anything 80s/90s with regards to fighting and enforcers is a bad example when relating things to this day and age, even the high flying Oilers.

Also, the ability to play a high skill game is something stifled by clutch and grab, an issue that will always be a problem unrelated to fighting or toughness(or cheapshots for that matter).

Marchand and the cheapshot stuff is more from putting in an anti-fighting rule, and then refusing to fill the vacuum when it comes to enforcement. A guy like Cooke who has intentionlly hurt players to the point he has ended the careers of star hockey players, should have been permanently removed from playing in the NHL long time ago.

Old
02-18-2013, 11:21 AM
Wheatking

Quote:

Well, we've seen the last two games that this is right. Sure, we lost to the Stars but we were the better team. The top line dominated both games and it was because they were dumping the puck in and winning races with their speed. There were no battles for the puck. They weren't out muscling anyone. They didn't need to. Dmen were backing up on them and they were still gaining possession because they were faster. Fairly easily too.

Wheatking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 11:28 AM
Tedi

Quote:

Agreed...funny how leaf fanatics are telling everyone else now how successful they are. I'm sure the leafs are a 3 game losing skid away from imploding yet again and Cherry can eat crow once again with his rock em sock em mentality. The days of the line brawl are in the past, it is time for the NHL to evolve not regress again.

Tedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 11:35 AM
Sethis

vCash: 725
I'm unconvinced.

Going line by line, we have:

Hall-Hopkins-Eberle - Nothing needed here, they have the cycle game down pat. Eberle is the only one with a real size issue, and he's elusive and stocky enough that it is not an issue. Hall and Hopkins both have the size and as they put on the man strength will be able to take and give with everyone but the leagues heavyweights. This one is fine (and it is the one that matters most).

Yak-Gagner-Hemsky - We do have an issue here. These guys are all small, and while each could get away with being the skill guy on a line that relies on at least one bigger body, they can get abused. However, at this stage in team building, we can get away with it. The fact is we have more talent on our second line than all but a handful of teams in the league. I'll take that over the days of elevating Griers and Murrays to play with Swansons and Clearys.

Smyth-Horcoff-Paajarvi/Jones - We're fine. No thugs, but noone who will really get abused, and the first two names are wily enough that they can avoid things that aren't blatant cross checks to the back when the puck is 3 feet away (eff you, Doan).

Harski/Eager/Petrell-Belanger-Paajarvi/Jones - Obviously not an issue when we get to the names at the bottom.

On defense is a different issue. Size and the way to use it is as much an issue as all around aptitude when we're putting guys like Potter and The Artist Formerly Known As Whitney in there. We need an overhaul, yesterday. I think our team defense is getting exposed more than a lack of size.

I hate to use the tired old example of Detroit, but their forwards never had an issue being small after the days of Shanahan and the Grind Line (greater part of the Datsyuk/Zetterberg era) because they had the security blanket that was Lidstrom on the back end. We can't necessarily expect to find the greatest defenseman of the common era, but if we improve the personnel the problems we are seeing will be less visible IMO.

Sethis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 12:05 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarus View Post
The same Oilers that ran with enforcers on Gretzky's wing? Anything 80s/90s with regards to fighting and enforcers is a bad example when relating things to this day and age, even the high flying Oilers.

Also, the ability to play a high skill game is something stifled by clutch and grab, an issue that will always be a problem unrelated to fighting or toughness(or cheapshots for that matter).

Marchand and the cheapshot stuff is more from putting in an anti-fighting rule, and then refusing to fill the vacuum when it comes to enforcement. A guy like Cooke who has intentionlly hurt players to the point he has ended the careers of star hockey players, should have been permanently removed from playing in the NHL long time ago.
The day of enforcers is done. I think we all agree on that. The club doesn't even want Ben Eager fighting right now and waived Hordichuk because theres absolutely no role for him.

"Clutch and grab"? Touch a player right now, even put a hand or a stick on him and its getting called. The NHL right now is zeroing in on no interference whatsoever letter of law. As I mentioned the question is will they retain it. Strangely enough whenever the NHL decides it needs to put out its best product it clamps down on holding, grabbing, etc and lets the game rise above wrestling on ice. it does this to gain favor from fans in what is an entertainment product. Why doesn't it continue in that vein?

The NHL could easily put an end to the nonsense caused by the worst offenders in hockey and just get rid of these players through elevated systems of suspensions for mutliple offenders. Also by calling the game a little closer to the law. People can think what they want but when Marchand punches Sedin in the face 6 times in a row between whistles and Sedin is just standing there expecting some application of justice to eventually occur its a joke. Thats WWE bad and the refs playing 3 blind mice to contrived drama. I want to see a game with proper application of rules. Not an NHL product that can never figure out what it is or should be but seems always to be lurching from one flux to the other.

The relative value of a Marchand, vs a Sedin, or a Cooke, or a Crosby is decided by the NHL. But what they've *decided* thus far is they can never make up their mind.

Too bad. Hockey is a brilliant sport played at full speed and un encumbered by grabbing and interference.

Old
02-18-2013, 12:09 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sethis View Post
I'm unconvinced.

Going line by line, we have:

Hall-Hopkins-Eberle - Nothing needed here, they have the cycle game down pat. Eberle is the only one with a real size issue, and he's elusive and stocky enough that it is not an issue. Hall and Hopkins both have the size and as they put on the man strength will be able to take and give with everyone but the leagues heavyweights. This one is fine (and it is the one that matters most).

Yak-Gagner-Hemsky - We do have an issue here. These guys are all small, and while each could get away with being the skill guy on a line that relies on at least one bigger body, they can get abused. However, at this stage in team building, we can get away with it. The fact is we have more talent on our second line than all but a handful of teams in the league. I'll take that over the days of elevating Griers and Murrays to play with Swansons and Clearys.

Smyth-Horcoff-Paajarvi/Jones - We're fine. No thugs, but noone who will really get abused, and the first two names are wily enough that they can avoid things that aren't blatant cross checks to the back when the puck is 3 feet away (eff you, Doan).

Harski/Eager/Petrell-Belanger-Paajarvi/Jones - Obviously not an issue when we get to the names at the bottom.

On defense is a different issue. Size and the way to use it is as much an issue as all around aptitude when we're putting guys like Potter and The Artist Formerly Known As Whitney in there. We need an overhaul, yesterday. I think our team defense is getting exposed more than a lack of size.

I hate to use the tired old example of Detroit, but their forwards never had an issue being small after the days of Shanahan and the Grind Line (greater part of the Datsyuk/Zetterberg era) because they had the security blanket that was Lidstrom on the back end. We can't necessarily expect to find the greatest defenseman of the common era, but if we improve the personnel the problems we are seeing will be less visible IMO.
Yak will be the strongest forward on this club and is solid right now. His strength is better lower body proportioned as well ala Jagr and as befits powering through opponents. This guy has good leg development for his age and has a good frame. I've seen him go through, as well as around people. This is a power forward as he grows up. No doubt in my mind.

Old
02-18-2013, 12:11 PM
dnicks17

The big difference, that Cherry seems to be clueless about, is the East vs. the West.

It's pretty easy to pick up a couple of goons and bully teams(if you even want to call it that) in the East.

Won't happen in the West.

dnicks17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 12:18 PM
smackdaddy
Hall-RNH-Eberle

I found his comments to be ridiculous and pedestrian. Just the same old cliches about what everybody figures the problem is with the Oil.

"Gotta get bigger. Look at the Leafs, they got 4 tough guys". Big deal. Unless those 4 tough guys are playing top 6 minutes like Clowe then there's no point. Like people have said his ideas are antiquated. I was insulted because it wasn't so much as a well thought out analysis but something he scribbled down on the flight over. When half our offense is less than 25 years old yeah it's gonna be an issue. It's not something to blow up the team about.

It was just so lacking in any real analytical thought but that's Cherry for ya.

smackdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 12:33 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

One example of how clueless Cherry is on this club. He stated that the Oil getting Peckham back (he has the name right now) will help the club.

Little does he know Peckham is both injured and consigned to the rubble heap and has a limited window here of maybe this year and is walking dead as an NHL Player who's game has been entirely exposed. Because of Cherry's reliance on physical indicators he talks about Peckham as if he's one of the more important D on the club.

I don't think he mentioned J Schultz once in the interview..

Old
02-18-2013, 12:48 PM
Tarus
Fire Mact

Quote:
The day of enforcers is done. I think we all agree on that. The club doesn't even want Ben Eager fighting right now and waived Hordichuk because theres absolutely no role for him.

"Clutch and grab"? Touch a player right now, even put a hand or a stick on him and its getting called. The NHL right now is zeroing in on no interference whatsoever letter of law. As I mentioned the question is will they retain it. Strangely enough whenever the NHL decides it needs to put out its best product it clamps down on holding, grabbing, etc and lets the game rise above wrestling on ice. it does this to gain favor from fans in what is an entertainment product. Why doesn't it continue in that vein?

The NHL could easily put an end to the nonsense caused by the worst offenders in hockey and just get rid of these players through elevated systems of suspensions for mutliple offenders. Also by calling the game a little closer to the law. People can think what they want but when Marchand punches Sedin in the face 6 times in a row between whistles and Sedin is just standing there expecting some application of justice to eventually occur its a joke. Thats WWE bad and the refs playing 3 blind mice to contrived drama. I want to see a game with proper application of rules. Not an NHL product that can never figure out what it is or should be but seems always to be lurching from one flux to the other.

The relative value of a Marchand, vs a Sedin, or a Cooke, or a Crosby is decided by the NHL. But what they've *decided* thus far is they can never make up their mind.

Too bad. Hockey is a brilliant sport played at full speed and un encumbered by grabbing and interference.
The NHL was going back to full clutch and grab as shown with recent stanley cups finals(Bos/Van and LA/NJ), especially during the tail end of last year where refs pretty much stopped calling anything for 4 months( along with rumors about testing if clutch and grab promoted player safety by slowing the game down). It also wasn't just a decline in enforcement in the old rules, but also the fact that players and coaches adjusted to the 2006 crackdown, and found new ways slow the game down again. It's a bit of an arms race in a lot of ways, and the NHL will always have to keep adapting the rules to keep the game free flowing, though it would be nice if they were more proactive about it.

You are probably right as well - they changes were likely done to present a better product on the ice after a lockout. The last two years were intensely boring as far as hockey goes, and the NHL doesn't need another snoozefest when trying to smooth things over with fans.

But the style of hockey, fighting, and cheapshot artists have become irrelevant to each other as time has moved on. Fighting doesn't deter cheap shots, prevent injuries, or provide space on the ice for skill players anymore(hasn't for years).

And yes, cheapshot artists absolutely should be suspended right out of the game, but they exist primarily due to the protection of anti-fighting rules, along with the NHL's complete unwillingness to run the gauntlet of *****ing and moaning that arises when league suspensions are any stronger than "slap on the wrist" over the long term(Last year's Shanaban whine-fest being a good example).

Old
02-18-2013, 01:02 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
The NHL was going back to full clutch and grab as shown with recent stanley cups finals(Bos/Van and LA/NJ), especially during the tail end of last year where refs pretty much stopped calling anything for 4 months( along with rumors about testing if clutch and grab promoted player safety by slowing the game down). It also wasn't just a decline in enforcement in the old rules, but also the fact that players and coaches adjusted to the 2006 crackdown, and found new ways slow the game down again. It's a bit of an arms race in a lot of ways, and the NHL will always have to keep adapting the rules to keep the game free flowing, though it would be nice if they were more proactive about it.

You are probably right as well - they changes were likely done to present a better product on the ice after a lockout. The last two years were intensely boring as far as hockey goes, and the NHL doesn't need another snoozefest when trying to smooth things over with fans.

But the style of hockey, fighting, and cheapshot artists have become irrelevant to each other as time has moved on. Fighting doesn't deter cheap shots, prevent injuries, or provide space on the ice for skill players anymore(hasn't for years).

And yes, cheapshot artists absolutely should be suspended right out of the game, but they exist primarily due to the protection of anti-fighting rules, along with the NHL's complete unwillingness to run the gauntlet of *****ing and moaning that arises when league suspensions are any stronger than "slap on the wrist" over the long term(Last year's Shanaban whine-fest being a good example).
WE agree on a lot here. Also that the NHL has reverted years and which is what I was saying. But as a product it needs to make a decision. Its one thing to play good little socialists having regressive draft that awards incompetence and a capped league that limits team quality differential but that said furthering equal playing field by allowing teams like the Phoenix Coyotes to prevail on ice through officiating is not growing a lot of fans.

I'm a bit cynical and remember years ago when the Florida Panthers went on their hug their way through the SC playoffs run. They weren't a good team, before, after, or during that run, but they were a market that desperately needed some help, some success. I often times think that the NHL likes their little scripted cinderella runs and provides referring consistent to allowing that in the playoffs.

But the fan wanting to watch quality hockey being played gets tired of the script and seeing Phoenix and LA gnaw each other to death in the conference final. This doesn't help the NHL overall except that a big market, with a very unlikely squad, finally won the prize for this market.

Old
02-18-2013, 01:33 PM
lakai17

Caps took out the Bruins last year. We are forced to play a fast skating game due to management.

lakai17 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 10:20 PM
Roof Daddy

While I don't agree with Cherry's "Leafs model" as a key to success, there is a greater need for a tough guy who can play than some posters would care to admit. It's easy to overlook during the regular season where aside from the occasional home and home series you may not see the same team again for a month, but get into the playoffs and (potentially) play the same team 7 times in two weeks and the hate level amps up pretty quickly. I would much rather face CHI in the first round than a team like St.Louis, despite the Hawks being the better team.

Now, we don't really have any antagonistic players like the Canucks, so the likelihood of us inciting any goonery in a 7 game series is remote, but if that is how a team decides to approach us in the playoffs we need an answer of some sort. Is Eager good enough? He's good enough to play a regular shift on the 4th line when he has his head on right (ie no dumb penalties). Is he enough of a physical force to keep a team honest? I'm not sure, especially when we don't have an Iggy/Lucic/Clowe/Backes type in our top 6. I know those players are hard to find, but I think we need one to take that next step.

Roof Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 11:15 PM
Sheikyerbouti

I commented on that in another thread I thought his comments were hilarious. I'm honestly surprised it made the main page of the Oilers site.

He basically said two things:

1. We need to be tougher to play against
2. We need a more veterans in the line-up (balance)

Those two things are obviously true. Finding a Lucic or Backes to play in the top six is going to very difficult. Whale hunting for such rare players is what got us into this mess.

We can easily add veteran size to our line-up. I like Petrell, but this team would be better served with a big vet warrior than a second year player PK specialist. Carrying Belanger/Horcoff together carries inherent risk that has not been addressed. There has been big experienced centers on waivers this year while we roll VV and Lander. Potter is another second year player (basically) that was guaranteed a roster spot this year, when he could have been reinvested in veteran help on defense.

All we've done is add more youth to a struggling line-up and the leadership we've brought in like Smyth and Schultz are not difficult to play against.

I agree with Cherry that those two things are fixable short term and a necessity.

Sheikyerbouti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 11:25 PM
okgooil
HFBoards Sponsor

Meh. The oilers don't need size. They are fine. Det has been the most successful team of this era and they were not big or overly physical. The thing is we could use a top 6 guy with size, but guess what, those guys don't grow on trees. I am not that worried, If they keep up their play they had last game, they will draw a ton of calls and start killing teams on the pp. The problem will take care of itself.

okgooil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 11:46 PM
Tarus
Fire Mact

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheikyerbouti View Post
I commented on that in another thread I thought his comments were hilarious. I'm honestly surprised it made the main page of the Oilers site.

He basically said two things:

1. We need to be tougher to play against
2. We need a more veterans in the line-up (balance)

Those two things are obviously true. Finding a Lucic or Backes to play in the top six is going to very difficult. Whale hunting for such rare players is what got us into this mess.

We can easily add veteran size to our line-up. I like Petrell, but this team would be better served with a big vet warrior than a second year player PK specialist. Carrying Belanger/Horcoff together carries inherent risk that has not been addressed. There has been big experienced centers on waivers this year while we roll VV and Lander. Potter is another second year player (basically) that was guaranteed a roster spot this year, when he could have been reinvested in veteran help on defense.

All we've done is add more youth to a struggling line-up and the leadership we've brought in like Smyth and Schultz are not difficult to play against.

I agree with Cherry that those two things are fixable short term and a necessity.
Cherry isn't saying the Oilers need to be tougher to play against, he's saying they need tough guys to protect the smaller players from injuries and cheapshots, a flawed and antiquidated concept that has proven to be a useless endeavor in Edmonton(Laraque, Smac, Hordichuk etc).

Cherry's argument is putting forward distinctly different from the difficult to play against argument. The type of guys Cherry puts on a pedestal can fight, but are easy to play against as they are terrible at the actual game of hockey.

Old
02-19-2013, 12:14 AM
Sheikyerbouti

Quote:
Cherry isn't saying the Oilers need to be tougher to play against, he's saying they need tough guys to protect the smaller players from injuries and cheapshots, a flawed and antiquidated concept that has proven to be a useless endeavor in Edmonton(Laraque, Smac, Hordichuk etc).

Cherry's argument is putting forward distinctly different from the difficult to play against argument. The type of guys Cherry puts on a pedestal can fight, but are easy to play against as they are terrible at the actual game of hockey.
I disagree, the first thing he says is too young. He's right, then he incorrectly rants about smyth because he hasn't watched the team much this year.

Then he says who's gonna protect them here. He's right, I guarantee every pre-game scouting report on the oilers reads play them physical. There's isn't 4 hordichuk's or Smac's on the Leafs, they have Orr and grit sprinkled everywhere to protect and open ice for their skill

Cherry is more and more difficult to understand so maybe I'm looking too far into his ambiguous use of "tough guy". I would like to add 4 scary ass dudes to our team, as long as they can skate

Old
02-19-2013, 12:31 AM
Sheikyerbouti

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnicks17 View Post
The big difference, that Cherry seems to be clueless about, is the East vs. the West.

It's pretty easy to pick up a couple of goons and bully teams(if you even want to call it that) in the East.

Won't happen in the West.
Vancouver would be called a bully imo. Their bottom nine plays a big role in opening up teams for the sisters. Burke and Gillis have built those teams in similar images.

The Canucks nondescript bottom 9 factors into games similarly to the way the leafs have played. It's a minute of BOOM, and it opens up the ice for perimeter players like Jordan Schroeder who we couldn't ice and get away with.

Old
02-19-2013, 12:43 AM
Tarus
Fire Mact

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheikyerbouti View Post
I disagree, the first thing he says is too young. He's right, then he incorrectly rants about smyth because he hasn't watched the team much this year.

Then he says who's gonna protect them here. He's right, I guarantee every pre-game scouting report on the oilers reads play them physical. There's isn't 4 hordichuk's or Smac's on the Leafs, they have Orr and grit sprinkled everywhere to protect and open ice for their skill

Cherry is more and more difficult to understand so maybe I'm looking too far into his ambiguous use of "tough guy". I would like to add 4 scary ass dudes to our team, as long as they can skate
He says -

"They're getting hurt all the time because they don't have any big tough guys. Look at Toranta, they've got 3 guys you wouldn't even look at the wrong way. Kessal, and Grabovski and all those guys are flying all over the place because they're protected. And who is going to protect them here? And that's one of the reasons, it's a, you can do what you want, take liberties, and uh, nobodies going to pay the price."

Those 3 guys -

Colten Orr - 43 pim 6:03 TOI
Mike Brown - 29 pim 5:02 TOI
Frazer Mclaren 20 pims 5:18 TOI

Another video that clarifies his point

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockeynight...#id=2336040419

His example - Jordan Tootoo 32 pims 8:44 TOI

Don Cherry is not subtle, nor is he difficult to understand considering he's been hammering the exact same point for 40 years. He might have a point if he gave the example of the leafs and pointed out that they balanced the roster by getting a bigger top 6 forward in JVR for a redundant defenseman, and it would be a relevant commentary on the Oilers.

But he's not, he's talking about enforcers, and it's enforcers because he's always talking about enforcers.