Notices

Iggy at the deadline

Old
02-18-2013, 01:29 PM
Rumpy

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rancourt Fist Pump View Post
If it's a straight 1 for 1, I'd imagine they ask for our best center (Bergy?), which Chia would probably laugh at the idea of trading away a lock Selke candidate in the prime of his career for a player in decline, so I can't imagine player for player trade talks getting very far.

They need talented, passing centers to play with Iggy anyway; not against em. Without Iggy, they may as well tear it all down, and start loading up on draft picks. And that would cost us a hell of a lot more than just Bergy in the long run. My guess would be similar to the Rick Nash package just because Flames management is stubborn and ridiculous.

The Flames didn't want to even talk trade last year, or the year before that. Their stance is likely to be the same this year, as long as they have a snowball's chance in hell of making the playoffs. That means they'll still require a massive over payment to even peak their interest.

No thx. Not cost effective whatsoever going into next year with a reduced cap. You don't take chances like that on players as old as Iginla. Corey Perry on the other hand...
Sorry but you are out to lunch with your expected return for Iginla. I think the Flames have actually improved this year getting some secondary scoring in Cervenka Hudler Cammalleri and even Backlund they are a lot deeper up front than they have been. Boumeester is playing decent so far and Wideman is what he is.....

However Iginla knows his time is coming to an end and even if he loves Calgary it'll be up to him to weigh his options and chose if he wants to win a cup?

The problem will be Calgary might be close in the playoff race. If they aren't Feaster and Flames fans should look no further than what happend with Sundin.

Iginla and the Flames will be damned if they do and damned if they don't.

Either way asking for Bergeron is a joke I also read on the Flames board a Bruins fan who suggested Krecji WTF is wrong with some people? The point of a rental is just that.... A rental and you never trade a core piece of your team.

The Flames will get a first round pick and 1 or 2 prospects.

I like Spooner and Subban and Koko just as much as the next guy but the way the Bruins team is built right now you load up and give it a go.

I'd offer the following scenario's:

1rst rounder Knight and Krug

Spooner/Koko/Subban and a 2nd

Spooner/Koko/Subban and Caron

etc you get the picture....

There is no way Calgary gets a impact player back in this deal. At the very most they would get a Backlund type of prospect from some team that that can sell a change of scenery helping. Voracek Frolik etc and 1rst rounder...

Quote:
A cup run he contributed virtually nothing to. He was a warm body, that's it. He played our system, and did nothing Kaberle-esque to warrant his acquisition as a reason for our winning the cup. Aside from gaining the red line and dumping the puck in, Adam McQuaid could have filled his role better than he did.

Didn't our PP go 0-30 or 40 something for a stretch while he was on the team? For what we paid for em, he was supposed to QB that PP to respectability. He QB'd it alright lol!
You do realize Kaberle led the Bruins in defensive scoring on that cup run? He was questionable in the defensive zone but he also created a lot of transition when he had time. I specifically remember a goal in the Mtl series that was all Kaberle with a 90 foot pass.

Dump on him all you want but with Out the Ryder Save the Horton goal/goals or maybe on a smaller scale that one Kaberle pass the Bruins wouldn't have won that cup.

So criticize that deal all you want I make it 12 times out of 10 over again and it's the reason I'm willing to give up a couple good prospects for an aging and probably rental in Iginla.

Rumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 01:37 PM
Boston Bruno

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rancourt Fist Pump View Post
A cup run he contributed virtually nothing to. He was a warm body, that's it. He played our system, and did nothing Kaberle-esque to warrant his acquisition as a reason for our winning the cup. Aside from gaining the red line and dumping the puck in, Adam McQuaid could have filled his role better than he did.

Didn't our PP go 0-30 or 40 something for a stretch while he was on the team? For what we paid for em, he was supposed to QB that PP to respectability. He QB'd it alright lol!
I dont mean to defend Kaberle, as I called him Kraperle and thought we overpaid..

BUT

Virtually nothing? 11 points, tied with Seids for most points by a dman for the bruins in the playoffs.

I think he warrants a little more respect.. Mcquaid played 2 less games, had 4 points. So really he did have a little more offensive output. (Even though he /Kaberle did have a D squad team worst +8 unless you pro rate Hnidy for 3 games..)

Not the end all, but still not a corpse. Not saying we should name our Kids Tomas..Thomas maybe.. lol

Boston Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 01:40 PM
Neely08

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumpy View Post
I specifically remember a goal in the Mtl series that was all Kaberle with a 90 foot pass.
Kaberle to Ryder. Was a gorgeous and timely play.

Neely08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 02:44 PM
Rancourt Fist Pump
best of the worst

Quote:
Sorry but you are out to lunch with your expected return for Iginla. I think the Flames have actually improved this year getting some secondary scoring in Cervenka Hudler Cammalleri and even Backlund they are a lot deeper up front than they have been. Boumeester is playing decent so far and Wideman is what he is.....

However Iginla knows his time is coming to an end and even if he loves Calgary it'll be up to him to weigh his options and chose if he wants to win a cup?

The problem will be Calgary might be close in the playoff race. If they aren't Feaster and Flames fans should look no further than what happend with Sundin.

Either way asking for Bergeron is a joke I also read on the Flames board a Bruins fan who suggested Krecji WTF is wrong with some people? The point of a rental is just that.... A rental and you never trade a core piece of your team.

I like Spooner and Subban and Koko just as much as the next guy but the way the Bruins team is built right now you load up and give it a go.

There is no way Calgary gets a impact player back in this deal. At the very most they would get a Backlund type of prospect from some team that that can sell a change of scenery helping. Voracek Frolik etc and 1rst rounder...

You do realize Kaberle led the Bruins in defensive scoring on that cup run? He was questionable in the defensive zone but he also created a lot of transition when he had time. I specifically remember a goal in the Mtl series that was all Kaberle with a 90 foot pass.

Dump on him all you want but with Out the Ryder Save the Horton goal/goals or maybe on a smaller scale that one Kaberle pass the Bruins wouldn't have won that cup.

So criticize that deal all you want I make it 12 times out of 10 over again and it's the reason I'm willing to give up a couple good prospects for an aging and probably rental in Iginla.
Agreed. The asking price is out to lunch. And that's the point. The Flames are out to lunch. They've outright refused to even open negotiations before. "...it's a nonstarter", I think is a Feaster quote from last year. So sue me if I don't think the Flames have changed their tune.

Things like this lead me to believe that they wouldn't even be open to talks unless the return is absolutely ridiculous in the 1st place.

And good luck ever getting the Flames to admit that they're sellers lol! Look at their track record for christ sake. If they're mathematically still in it, they won't sell. Iginla could have landed them a beautiful package the last 2 years running; with all kinds of teams willing to drive the price up, the Flames flat out let any potential opportunities to improve their organization for years to come, just die on the vine. I fail to see how a pick and a prospect rental fee would suddenly peak their interest, with no guarantees that he would return to them.

If we could land Iggy for a pick and a prospect, I'd love it. No way would I want to give em back afterwards, but I'd make that deal. Like I said, good luck convincing the Flames ridiculous management to even listen to logic. If they have a snowball's chance in hell of making the playoffs, they won't even listen. That much has been established.

Rancourt Fist Pump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 03:22 PM
Rancourt Fist Pump
best of the worst

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boston Bruno View Post
I dont mean to defend Kaberle, as I called him Kraperle and thought we overpaid..

BUT

Virtually nothing? 11 points, tied with Seids for most points by a dman for the bruins in the playoffs.

I think he warrants a little more respect.. Mcquaid played 2 less games, had 4 points. So really he did have a little more offensive output. (Even though he /Kaberle did have a D squad team worst +8 unless you pro rate Hnidy for 3 games..)

Not the end all, but still not a corpse. Not saying we should name our Kids Tomas..Thomas maybe.. lol
K, maybe "virtually" was a strong word. And by strong I mean inaccurate Let's just say, the B's coulda done it without em. I don't buy for a second that he pushed us over the top in any way shape or form. We were better in certain areas and worse in certain areas when he was on the ice.

My whole stance is: the Bruins don't need defenseman like him. Most teams do, ours doesn't. Not really anyway. We all remember Wideman. He could put together a beautiful stretch pass too. That was good Wideman. I think we can all agree that the team was better off without bad Wideman lol! Same as Kaberle for me.

What he did for us in transition was little. We got up the ice slightly quicker when he was on, but the end result was the same: we dumped and chased the vast amount of the time. What good is a guy who can stretch the D, if you're not a big rush team? Nice to have good skill back there, but the B's break out methodically, as a unit, and they largely keep the passes short. They really don't need guys like this (as memorable as 1 playoff goal may be for some).

I don't miss em 1 bit. Not a Bruin. Never really was in my mind. Him or Joe Corvo. Just another hired gun PMD, with no defensive brain that will never shine in our system because we don't need them to shine.

We don't need guys like him to win cups. Not the way the B's play...sure would be nice to score on a few PP's here and there tho

Not to crap on everything the guy does, but leading the B's defenseman in scoring doesn't really seem like a feat to me. When you consider he was far and away the most offensively skilled defenseman on the team, you really should expect that, shouldn't you?

For what we gave up to get em, I really don't think he could have lived up to any of my expectations. Especially after he bailed. Long story short: I ****ing hate rentals.

Last edited by Rancourt Fist Pump: 02-18-2013 at 03:28 PM.
Rancourt Fist Pump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 03:26 PM
cashman rules*

Quote:

Good post dudeBergy was in my no touch zonei will go on record and say Iggy would just love coming to the greatest hockey town in the world bar none,get it done chiapet.

cashman rules* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 03:35 PM
SPLBRUIN

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSCII View Post
To pry Iginla away from Calgary, a team will have to grossly overpay. If he's going to be a pure rental, I don't think it will be worthwhile.
This is it, just not worth what the Flames will demand. As for Alfreddson, he is going nowhere, he is most likely to return to Ottawa next year. If I was Chia I would hone in on the likes of a Ryder, someone who won't cost us as much, whatever we do Spooner should not be included.

SPLBRUIN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 03:40 PM
BrainOfJ
\_(ツ)_/

I honestly believe you could see iggy come in at 4 for 2 years re-signing..no doubt he would love the playoff ride.

BrainOfJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 04:32 PM
William Faulkner
A Wizard A True Star

I think Calgary won't trade him. A couple of years ago I thought it might happen, but at this point I don't think they will get what they want for him.

And why should they trade him, really? If they don't get what they consider valuable pieces, they will let him play out his career in Calgary. Unless he makes it known that he wants a shot with a contender, the team will just let him retire as the best Flame ever. Or they can try to rebuild with him, hoping he takes a cheaper contract.

02-18-2013, 05:53 PM
Mr. Make-Believe
Pass me another nail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neely08 View Post
Led the league at one point last year in shots and hits. Our kind of guy. Would be nice to plug into that 3rd line.

We need another big guy who can go into a corner, come up w/ the puck, make a play, scoring ability would be nice, too.

I love Iggy, always have, you'd have to have an extra hole in your head not to. I have to say I liked the idea 2 years ago better than I do now. If they want to hand him over for nothing, sure, but that's not going to happen. Another option in Calgary is a guy like Glenncross.

What ever they're going to do, the sooner that player(s) can acclimate to the system. Develop chemistry, learn to stand perfectly still on the PP, etc.
You're going to have a tougher time getting Glencross out of Calgary than you would Iginla.

Iggy? He's not the Flames' best player anymore. Sorry to say. I love the guy as much as any this side of patty59 and even I can admit that.

- If Iggy ISN'T dealt, the Flames have made a mistake.

- If Iggy IS dealt, it won't be for a giant package. He can choose where he goes and that team can choose what to pay. Feaster can take that - or he can watch his club's franchise player sign with another team in the offseason for nothing. The only "bidding war" that may happen is between clubs of Iggy's choosing.

I want the guy on the team. And I'm not scared of the return.

Mr. Make-Believe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 06:21 PM
DKH

Send a message via AIM to DKH
there is a great thread on the Flames board on Iginla,,,,one Bruins fan has proposed Krejci, Caron, and a first and I think the Flames fans may accept

I'd go Koko, Spooner, and Knight. Boston has had no luck drafting in the second round so why not take a run at the Cup. None of these guys has ever scored a goal in the NHL and Iggy is the man. He could be our next Recchi.

but no guarantee because they are looking at the Pens and Devils for their top prospects.

My favorite all-time thread was the several hundred posts on the Canadiens board after it was let out that Ryan McDonough was going to the Rangers and they started speculating the certain huge yield only to get Scott Gomez....it was epic, I'll be curious what Iginla brings back if he still is not showing the signature power moves hockey people arent seeing-yet.

DKH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 06:27 PM
Bi Coastal Bawse*

Would rather keep those 3 to be honest

Bi Coastal Bawse* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 06:29 PM
Gee Wally
Global Moderator
True Grit

Awards:
My favorite over there was when they were defending / pushing Ryder, Halak and a second for Sidney Crosby.

Ahhh......good times.

You tell 'em I'M coming...

and Hell's coming with me, you hear?! ... Hell's coming with me!
Gee Wally is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 06:34 PM
Artemis
Took the red pill

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKH View Post
there is a great thread on the Flames board on Iginla,,,,one Bruins fan has proposed Krejci, Caron, and a first and I think the Flames fans may accept

I'd go Koko, Spooner, and Knight. Boston has had no luck drafting in the second round so why not take a run at the Cup. None of these guys has ever scored a goal in the NHL and Iggy is the man. He could be our next Recchi.

but no guarantee because they are looking at the Pens and Devils for their top prospects.

My favorite all-time thread was the several hundred posts on the Canadiens board after it was let out that Ryan McDonough was going to the Rangers and they started speculating the certain huge yield only to get Scott Gomez....it was epic, I'll be curious what Iginla brings back if he still is not showing the signature power moves hockey people arent seeing-yet.
Koko, Spooner AND Knight? You have got to be joking.

If Feaster ever makes hat proposal I hope Chiarelli laughs himself sick before hanging up.

Edit: OK, I've reread that. You are joking. You're awful, you know. :-P

Artemis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 07:50 PM
DKH

Send a message via AIM to DKH
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
Koko, Spooner AND Knight? You have got to be joking.

If Feaster ever makes hat proposal I hope Chiarelli laughs himself sick before hanging up.

Edit: OK, I've reread that. You are joking. You're awful, you know. :-P
the only way I trade any of Spooner, Knight, koko or Subban specifically is in a deal that brings back a stud young cost controlled guy like OEL in PHX, Kulikov in FLA, Carlson in WASH....that type of high end yute D

I would not trade any of these for a rental I dont care if they can poop hot fudge sundaes- it would be to use the Pouliot threads author's phrase idiotic.

If they did trade Spooner and whatever to Calgary for a rental in Iginla I will laugh my balls off if Iggy comes here, leaves after the season Cup less and Spooner becomes a 70 point PP stud in Calgary, Hell, I'll post atleast once a week about what a dumbass move this was as long as HF is around

There are quite a bit of people who watch the OHL who think Subban is going to be unreal in the NHL- I cant believe anyone hear would put him in for a rental....

I am on record with everyone who knows me as flipping out over the Jeff Bagwell deal in 1990 for Lary Anderson. I heard it damn near killed Lou Gorman who made it and he became obsessed with it- sadly. Bagwell is going to the HOF someday as long as PED cant be proven and Anderson was a nice rental

to me I personally project all 4 of those guys as falling along the lines of Bergeron, Krejci, Marchand, and Lucic and dealing for a rental is a joke- of course, the same people that would do that deal would certainly have dealt Lucic, Marchand, Krejci, Rask and the rest for a 30 game kick of the can and I dont believe them if they say otherwise

you trade your best prospects get me a Carlson-type, not because you have a fathead on your wall of some former star player, or pretend you are him in neighborhood ball hockey

DKH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 07:55 PM
BrainOfJ
\_(ツ)_/

Dan...the same could have been said for Klaus, Karsums, and Lashoff back not long ago could it not? Also dangerously close to adding Caron to that list.

I also remember just a few seasons back people refusing to ever trade "jumbo joe 2"

BrainOfJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 08:40 PM
Strafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrainOfJ View Post
Dan...the same could have been said for Klaus, Karsums, and Lashoff back not long ago could it not? Also dangerously close to adding Caron to that list.

I also remember just a few seasons back people refusing to ever trade "jumbo joe 2"
Yes but: Kalus, Karsums or Lahoff turned out to NOT be like those mentioned so it's fairly obvious that Chia knows his own players, no matter the level very well.
"Jumbo Joe?" Well...I don't see the linkage.

Strafer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 09:34 PM
Dwatson783
@dwatson783

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strafer View Post
Yes but: Kalus, Karsums or Lahoff turned out to NOT be like those mentioned so it's fairly obvious that Chia knows his own players, no matter the level very well.
"Jumbo Joe?" Well...I don't see the linkage.
Jumbo Joe 2 = Colborne.

Dwatson783 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 09:43 PM
Pie O My

Quote:
Kaberle to Ryder. Was a gorgeous and timely play.
as was Kaberle to Teddy Purcell.

Pie O My is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 09:54 PM
bruins2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman rules View Post
I really want this guy at the deadline,whats it gonna take to get him without trading the following...

Looch
Seguin
Bergy
Krejci
Marchand
Bevs
Hamilton
Rask
Horton(maybe)

I don't care if it is a short rental to get him either
no thank you.

bruins2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 09:56 PM
bruins2011

Horton has Washington written all over him.
Problem is, what do they give us back?

bruins2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 10:00 PM
Pie O My

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman rules View Post
I really want this guy at the deadline,whats it gonna take to get him without trading the following...

Looch
Seguin
Bergy
Krejci
Marchand
Bevs
Hamilton
Rask
Horton(maybe)

I don't care if it is a short rental to get him either
why do you consider the bolded such an untouchable? Isn't he in the same mold as the best player we got in return for trading a sure fire HOFer with 5 Norris trophies?

Pie O My is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 10:16 PM
Neely08

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Make-Believe View Post
You're going to have a tougher time getting Glencross out of Calgary than you would Iginla.

Iggy? He's not the Flames' best player anymore. Sorry to say. I love the guy as much as any this side of patty59 and even I can admit that.

- If Iggy ISN'T dealt, the Flames have made a mistake.

- If Iggy IS dealt, it won't be for a giant package. He can choose where he goes and that team can choose what to pay. Feaster can take that - or he can watch his club's franchise player sign with another team in the offseason for nothing. The only "bidding war" that may happen is between clubs of Iggy's choosing.

I want the guy on the team. And I'm not scared of the return.
It just doesn't feel like a Chia move to me, sorry. How many threads have we had over big names that could be realistically had, just to end up disappointed? I'm sure he's looking at people for the 3rd line, and possibly elsewhere. And, just like Peverly and Kelly, it will be guys that weren't on anyone elses radar aside Chia's.

Would I love him here? Absolutely. But, I'd be surprised if this happened.

7mil in the bank, I think he'll spread it around more. If he does nothing, I will be very, very disappointed, and even more shocked.

Neely08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 10:26 PM
GordonHowe

I haven't followed this thread, though well aware of the debate over the last few years.

You all know more about it than me (doubtless the same folks who posit Washington-Boston deal elsewhere), but no, I would not trade for Jerome. These veteran moves have paid off for the Bruins, on a much smaller scale, over the past few years (CK, RP). Still, I'd rather keep what we have, and any future assets, rather than trade for a great guy who should retire with the Flames.

As for that other deal, guess I show my ignorance, and I'm aware of our PMD problem, but Adam & Johnny are heart & soul Bruins. I'd prefer we keep them.

GordonHowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 11:54 PM
Mr. Make-Believe
Pass me another nail

Quote:
It just doesn't feel like a Chia move to me, sorry. How many threads have we had over big names that could be realistically had, just to end up disappointed? I'm sure he's looking at people for the 3rd line, and possibly elsewhere. And, just like Peverly and Kelly, it will be guys that weren't on anyone elses radar aside Chia's.

Would I love him here? Absolutely. But, I'd be surprised if this happened.

7mil in the bank, I think he'll spread it around more. If he does nothing, I will be very, very disappointed, and even more shocked.
I agree completely. The likelihood isn't the debate. We could have EASILY trumped NJ for Kovalchuk if Chiarelli had chosen to. But he didn't and likely won't for Iginla either. As much as I'd like to see it.

Not sure where your 7M comes into play though... Because the Bruins have a lot more room than that. Or are you mentioning Iggy's salary?

I think one factor that should be considered, is how much we stand to lose in this off-season and how much a big splash could mean for this team in the playoffs. Slow and steady (I'm sure)... But realistically Chiarelli knows just as well as we do, that the Bruins are NOT better next season than they are right now. If there's a chance to take a shot at the Cup, there's not gonna be a better time to do so.

I still see the most realistic scenario as being a move or two (at the most) that strikingly underwhelms us.

Mr. Make-Believe is offline   Reply With Quote