HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

Sam Reinhart vs other 1st overalls

Old
05-14-2013, 06:40 PM
CP31

vCash: 500
Sam Reinhart vs other 1st overalls

It seems right now that Reinhart, possibly Ekblad will be the first pick next year. How does Reinhart compare to other first overalls? I get the feeling he will be a weak first pick from what I hear.

CP31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2013, 06:42 PM
StrongIslanders90

It doesn't matter because Ekblad will be the pick...

StrongIslanders90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2013, 06:43 PM
HockeySensible
NHL Says...

From what I've read, William Nylander's expected to be the 1st overall pick, with Ekblad expected to be 2nd overall. I think Reinhart was more of a favourite a year ago at this time, than he is now. Still has a chance to be 1st overall, but others have stepped up to lay claim to that title and between now and 2014, more than a few more players will as well.

HockeySensible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2013, 06:45 PM
CP31

Quote:
Originally Posted by HossTheBoss View Post
From what I've read, William Nylander's expected to be the 1st overall pick, with Ekblad expected to be 2nd overall. I think Reinhart was more of a favourite a year ago at this time, than he is now. Still has a chance to be 1st overall, but others have stepped up to lay claim to that title and between now and 2014, more than a few more players will as well.
Ah. I will admit I have not been following these guys at all. In general than, how strong is this top 3 compared to previous drafts?

CP31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2013, 07:33 PM
DJB
Sens best prospect

vCash: 50
Way too early. Remember Couturier?

Ya.

DJB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2013, 07:35 PM
Jabba11
Hockey Lobby

William Nylander is the 1st overall pick for now.

There's nothing exciting about Reinhart's game..he's gonna be a good top 6 player..not a franchise player. He's gonna have the Couturier treatment and next year, there will be a Huberdeau type of player that will come out of nowhere and it wouldn't surprise me that Sam falls in the top 5-7.

Jabba11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2013, 08:25 PM
TheJuxtaposer
#healBurish

vCash: 567
Reinhart thinks the game at an elite level, but doesn't have dynamic skills. I've said it before and I'll say it again, he reminds me a lot of Joe Pavelski, but probably with more offensive creativity. Now, that makes him an extremely good player. But not a first overall caliber player, unless this draft is even weaker than it seems.

I think regardless, there isn't the top-end talent in 2014 we've seen in recent years. I can't comment on the depth since I only know a couple guys at the top well.

TheJuxtaposer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2013, 08:28 PM
bottomofthefoodchain

As far as Swedes go Nylander has imo looked better than Forsberg, Lindholm etc did before their draft year. Would be great to see a Swede go #1 overall again but we'll see what happens.

bottomofthefoodchain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2013, 08:31 PM
SephF
Thanks Smytty

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJB View Post

Ya.
Exactly

SephF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2013, 08:34 PM
spfan

I don't see Ekblad being unseeded of being the 1st Overall pick.

spfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2013, 08:37 PM
Hardyvan123
tweet@HardyintheWack

Quote:
Originally Posted by CP31 View Post
It seems right now that Reinhart, possibly Ekblad will be the first pick next year. How does Reinhart compare to other first overalls? I get the feeling he will be a weak first pick from what I hear.
Quote:
Originally Posted by StrongIslanders90 View Post
It doesn't matter because Ekblad will be the pick...
Quote:
Originally Posted by HossTheBoss View Post
all 3 guys are in the mix for being 1st in 14.

As to the OP, all 3 have questions in their games still

Reinhart's ceiling might not be the highest but his floor is.

Ekblad lacks top end skating and it might hurt his chances at nHL stardom.

Until Nylander plays in North America there are going to be questions on how his game will translate as well.

Hardyvan123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2013, 08:43 PM
TheJuxtaposer
#healBurish

vCash: 567
^Agreed that Reinhart has a high floor. He doesn't have great skating or size, but his hockey IQ is just off the charts. Can't see him not a #2C at worst.

TheJuxtaposer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2013, 08:44 PM
bottomofthefoodchain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardyvan123 View Post
all 3 guys are in the mix for being 1st in 14.

As to the OP, all 3 have questions in their games still

Reinhart's ceiling might not be the highest but his floor is.

Ekblad lacks top end skating and it might hurt his chances at nHL stardom.

Until Nylander plays in North America there are going to be questions on how his game will translate as well.
Nylander used to play for Chicago Mission in midget were he was 2 ppg, no idea about the level there. Also played at WHJC U-17 and looked superb.

bottomofthefoodchain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2013, 08:53 PM
Markstrom Rules
Great Finnish

Ekblad will be #1.

Markstrom Rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2013, 08:57 PM
jigglysquishy

vCash: 492
Reinhart would be the weakest number 1 since Johnson, but that being said, I fully believe Ekblad will go 1st.

Ekblad looks to have potential of Pietrangelo+. I would put, in terms of their value as draft time prospects, Ekblad behind Tavares, Hall, Kane, and Jones for post-Crosby players.

jigglysquishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2013, 09:41 PM
DKQ
Generic User Title

Ekblad is going to be first overall, kid is just unbelievable defensively. I've never soon a junior player with the same kind of ability to just dissolve any kind of offensive chance, just always knows where to be and how to calmly deal with it

DKQ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2013, 12:02 AM
Canuck71

Quote:
Originally Posted by jigglysquishy View Post
Reinhart would be the weakest number 1 since Johnson, but that being said, I fully believe Ekblad will go 1st.

Ekblad looks to have potential of Pietrangelo+. I would put, in terms of their value as draft time prospects, Ekblad behind Tavares, Hall, Kane, and Jones for post-Crosby players.
I feel this is a great comparison for Ekblad. They do play a similar game. Ekblad will be a force next year.

Canuck71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2013, 12:11 AM
Hardyvan123
tweet@HardyintheWack

Quote:
Originally Posted by bottomofthefoodchain View Post
Nylander used to play for Chicago Mission in midget were he was 2 ppg, no idea about the level there. Also played at WHJC U-17 and looked superb.
I have Nylander as my early number 1 so far, but a move to NA would really help his case IMO.

Hardyvan123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2013, 12:23 AM
TampaBolt
Muck Fichigan!

Quote:

No Stamkos? You didn't like him as a prospect? Some scouts per Bob McKenzie even said they would take Stamkos over JT.

"If John Tavares were eligible for the 2008 draft and it was being held on Saturday, where would he rank on the lists they just submitted?"
The strong consensus is at No. 2, just behind Sarnia sniper Steven Stamkos. Tavares accumulated 91 voting points. Stamkos had 100; and Drew Doughty 88.

http://www.tsn.ca/story/print/?id=217783

TampaBolt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2013, 07:57 AM
NEhockeycoach

Great topic. It seems like next years class is a bit weaker, at least at thee top, than this years or 2013. Obviously time will tell, and we won't really know until 2019 how good the class actually is.

I know that the 96' group isn't very strong from down here in New England. The best player (Eichel) is a 2015 draft eligible player, and the other good players will be good in college/QMJHL but not high end draft picks.

NEhockeycoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2013, 09:07 AM
jigglysquishy

Quote:
Originally Posted by TampaBolt View Post
No Stamkos? You didn't like him as a prospect? Some scouts per Bob McKenzie even said they would take Stamkos over JT.

"If John Tavares were eligible for the 2008 draft and it was being held on Saturday, where would he rank on the lists they just submitted?"
The strong consensus is at No. 2, just behind Sarnia sniper Steven Stamkos. Tavares accumulated 91 voting points. Stamkos had 100; and Drew Doughty 88.

http://www.tsn.ca/story/print/?id=217783
Stamkos was rather uninteresting as a number 1 pick at the time. Yes, you had your JT haters, but his hype was the lowest post-Johnson and certainly lower than JT or Hall.

That being said, we can all see that he's had the best career out of any of the number 1st overalls since Crosby.

Old
05-15-2013, 09:14 AM
tony d
The man

Right now I think Ekblad will be #1 but Reinhart will go in the top 2 or 3.

People got to learn how to use punctuation. On our radio ads the other day a black man's wallet was reported as missing. Instead of a man's wallet black in colour missing a black man's wallet is missing.
tony d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2013, 10:12 AM
TampaBolt
Muck Fichigan!

Quote:
Stamkos was rather uninteresting as a number 1 pick at the time. Yes, you had your JT haters, but his hype was the lowest post-Johnson and certainly lower than JT or Hall.

That being said, we can all see that he's had the best career out of any of the number 1st overalls since Crosby.
Just to clarify I am not a JT hater, I just believe he gets somewhat overrated due to his junior career, with that being said he will become so much better it's scary.

PD: I did not know you were talking only about hype, in which case I agree. Stamkos got close to zero publicity until Tampa Bay assured the number 1 pick and started the "Seen Stamkos?" campaign.

TampaBolt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2013, 10:15 AM
jigglysquishy

Quote:
Originally Posted by TampaBolt View Post
Just to clarify I am not a JT hater, I just believe he gets somewhat overrated due to his junior career, with that being said he will become so much better it's scary.

PD: I did not know you were talking only about hype, in which case I agree. Stamkos got close to zero publicity until Tampa Bay assured the number 1 pick and started the "Seen Stamkos?" campaign.
Yes, hype.

JT beat a Gretzky record. He was putting up 2 PPG at 16. He was the first ever 15 year old to play in the OHL (well, not really, but for conversation sake he was). His hype was massive.

Ekblad is being more hyped a year before his draft than Stamkos was, but doesn't even come close to what JT was.

Old
05-15-2013, 11:56 AM
Mr Forever
The Oilers :(

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJB View Post

Ya.
Quite a few teams made mistakes letting him fall that far.

Mr Forever is offline   Reply With Quote