HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Colorado Avalanche
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The David Jones Thread

Old
02-17-2013, 11:38 PM
jfisher6
#thestructure

vCash: 50
The David Jones Thread

Does anyone else hope that this sorry guy gets traded elsewhere, for almost anything?

I feel like he's our worst forward, rolewise (i.e. Mark Olver is better at being a 4th line center than David Jones is at being a top-6 forward) and I feel like he is really contributing in a big way to our funk that we've been going through this season.

Now obviously the largest weakness of this team is the defensemen, but do you think it would help the Avalanche if David Jones was packaged with, say, Ryan O'Reilly to bring in something even more valuable than what ROR could get being the sole part of the deal?

Here's my little scouting report if you will:

11 Games Played
1 goal (a PPG)
1 assist
-9 rating
9 blocked shots
15 hits
5 giveaways - 2 takeaways

The one thing I'll give him is that he has 0 PIM.

He's also contributed to our astoundingly bad penalty kill unit

Maybe I'm wrong, maybe this isn't the popular opinion, but I want him OUT!

Trade him to Phoenix with ROR for Yandle.

Last edited by Frenchy: 02-18-2013 at 08:50 AM.
jfisher6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2013, 11:54 PM
Avs For Life
#92 #9 #29

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfisher6 View Post
Does anyone else hope that this guy gets traded elsewhere, for almost anything?

I feel like he's our worst forward, rolewise (i.e. Mark Olver is better at being a 4th line center than David Jones is at being a top-6 forward) and I feel like he is really contributing in a big way to our funk that we've been going through this season.

Now obviously the largest weakness of this team is the defensemen, but do you think it would help the Avalanche if David Jones was packaged with, say, Ryan O'Reilly to bring in something even more valuable than what ROR could get being the sole part of the deal?

Here's my little scouting report if you will:

11 Games Played
1 goal (a PPG)
1 assist
-9 rating
9 blocked shots
15 hits
5 giveaways - 2 takeaways

The one thing I'll give him is that he has 0 PIM.

He's also contributed to our astoundingly bad penalty kill unit

Maybe I'm wrong, maybe this isn't the popular opinion, but I want him OUT!

Trade him to Phoenix with ROR for Yandle.
How can you get a penalty when youre no where near the puck

Last edited by Frenchy: 02-18-2013 at 08:51 AM.
Avs For Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2013, 11:57 PM
BoxOfChocolates

He ****ing sucks. Buy his ass out in the summer.

BoxOfChocolates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2013, 11:58 PM
Crisp Breakout

Sometimes no PIM is an indication that a player isn't engaged... here is a perfect example. Jones is just a loaf, who goes on random hot streaks where everything he throws at the net is gold. Hate him.

Crisp Breakout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 12:00 AM
NothingLikeAnEJ
Jimmies: Rustled

Hopefully this thread can work some magic and we'll see a David Jones goal tomorrow.

NothingLikeAnEJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 12:03 AM
CobraAcesS

#TradeJones #JonesHate

Hes a 4M *****... And I'm not sure hes even that useful, everything from his name to his play, and his attitude are all vanilla.

Count me in on this one...

(I have to say I am usually not this hard on players and don't generally 'hate' players, but I can't stand him. He also gives post game interviews that mimic Sacco's lackadaisical no passion attitude as well. "Uh well, it'll be ok...")

Last edited by Frenchy: 02-18-2013 at 08:52 AM.
CobraAcesS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 12:03 AM
Christian Litscher
Hockey's Future Staff

He'll turn it around.

Christian Litscher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 12:12 AM
Duchene2MacKinnon
71****70

As I said before not sure why anyone is complaining about his play, he's always been a streaky goal scorer. I've never been a fan and wanted him gone 2 years ago but he has chemistry with Stastny so, Shermy over paid to keep him. Yeah, it sucks that he's overpaid but what are you going to do? He'll score in a couple of games and the flood gates will open but until then he sucks.

For the people who keep saying buy him out, just stop no team in the world would buy out a player just 48 games after signing a 4 year deal.

Duchene2MacKinnon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 12:19 AM
CobraAcesS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronaldo View Post
As I said before not sure why anyone is complaining about his play, he's always been a streaky goal scorer. I've never been a fan and wanted him gone 2 years ago but he has chemistry with Stastny so, Shermy over paid to keep him. Yeah, it sucks that he's overpaid but what are you going to do? He'll score in a couple of games and the flood gates will open but until then he sucks.

For the people who keep saying buy him out, just stop no team in the world would buy out a player just 48 games after signing a 4 year deal.
Yeah I don't think we will buy him out, but I do believe ala Rene Bourque he will have some value at the trade deadline. He can and SHOULD be traded for anything anyone is willing to pay.

Hes been streaky, yes... Unfortunately it's not only in his scoring now, it includes his play on the ice. He shows up about 1 game a week.

Old
02-18-2013, 12:19 AM
Av-merican
@Av_merican

Eh, I'm not worried. As someone else here pointed out (I think it was ABasin) once we have a defense that can actually get pucks on net through traffic, we'll see more from Jones. He's never been a guy who can create his own offense, rather he can pounce on rebounds and get the occasional breakaway.

Av-merican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 12:21 AM
CobraAcesS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Av-merican View Post
Eh, I'm not worried. As someone else here pointed out (I think it was ABasin) once we have a defense that can actually get pucks on net through traffic, we'll see more from Jones. He's never been a guy who can create his own offense, rather he can pounce on rebounds and get the occasional breakaway.
Well we used to be able to say he wasn't horrible defensively, that has changed...

Old
02-18-2013, 12:28 AM
Av-merican
@Av_merican

Quote:
Originally Posted by CobraAcesS View Post
Well we used to be able to say he wasn't horrible defensively, that has changed...
He never impressed me much defensively. He can be a halfway decent PK guy but really, he's never had very good positional sense. I don't think his defense regressed any, rather the Avs defense did.

Old
02-18-2013, 12:36 AM
AslanRH
#RespectTheCliche

Unfortunately the rest of the league probably views him the same way. I hate the buyout idea if the team can get anything remotely valuable for him, but with that contract, he'd have to go to a rebuilding team like the BJs or Isles who could afford to wait and see if he gets back on track. I'd take a couple under performing prospects at this point just to restock the depth on the farm.

AslanRH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 01:21 AM
Grackle Party
Varls Barkley 2k12

I actually think he has been throwing the body pretty well this year. that being said he is not a 4 million dollar grinder. And like I said in another thread Id trade him for a 7th at this point, i dont care if he scores 25 goals a year for his new team for the remainder of his contract, he brings nothing to this team for the role he has been given.

Grackle Party is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 01:27 AM
Av-merican
@Av_merican

A buyout's not happening, nor should it. A trade, perhaps, but not a buyout.

Old
02-18-2013, 01:30 AM
jfisher6
#thestructure

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grackle Party View Post
I actually think he has been throwing the body pretty well this year. that being said he is not a 4 million dollar grinder. And like I said in another thread Id trade him for a 7th at this point, i dont care if he scores 25 goals a year for his new team for the remainder of his contract, he brings nothing to this team for the role he has been given.
I don't think 15 hits in 11 games qualifies as "throwing the body pretty well" especially for a dude with his size and skating ability

McGinn has double that amount and plays about the same minutes.

15 hits in 11 games isn't BAD per se, but with all of the nothingness that he is contributing in other facets of the game, it's nothing to pump him up about lol, and I know you weren't trying to

jfisher6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 01:34 AM
cgf

Jones has just been drinking too much since he knows we're tanking, and with SOB spending so much time in the pressbox, Jones has had some drinking buddies on the team that could get wasted with him late into the night.

cgf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 01:37 AM
The Kingslayer

vCash: 966
When was the last time we bought out a player? Tom Preissing? Yah Jones wont get bought out. What needs to happen is the organization have some sort of intervention with him and perhaps they can bring in some male models to teach him how to turn left. He cant turn left.

The Kingslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 01:39 AM
Freudian
Deja vu again?

The five stages of having David Jones on a four year deal:

1. Denial: No. We didn't sign a player with that name. Never heard of him.
2. Anger: How can they be so stupid to sign him for four years. His shooting percentage is unsustainable and he's in a constant state of falling over.
3. Bargaining: Surely they can buy him out this summer? I hear Pittsburgh wants a winger. Perhaps they'll trade for him.
4. Depression: We have David Jones so what's the point of watching Avalanche play?
5. Acceptance: It's going to be ok. He can only play for 15 minutes a game. There will be 45 minutes of David Jones free hockey. And he had a goal last week. He's always been a streaky scorer so I'm sure he'll get going.

You're in the early stages. It will get better. I'm already at five.

Freudian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 01:47 AM
Rhaego

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freudian View Post
The five stages of having David Jones on a four year deal:

1. Denial: No. We didn't sign a player with that name. Never heard of him.
2. Anger: How can they be so stupid to sign him for four years. His shooting percentage is unsustainable and he's in a constant state of falling over.
3. Bargaining: Surely they can buy him out this summer? I hear Pittsburgh wants a winger. Perhaps they'll trade for him.
4. Depression: We have David Jones so what's the point of watching Avalanche play?
5. Denial Part II: It's going to be ok. He can only play for 15 minutes a game. There will be 45 minutes of David Jones free hockey. And he had a goal last week. He's always been a streaky scorer so I'm sure he'll get going.

You're in the early stages. It will get better. I'm already at five.
FTFY

I'm pretty sure there's just 4 stages that keep repeating.

Rhaego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 02:51 AM
Mouse21*

a trade at the end of the year.

blowing out his knee a couple years ago killed him. he used to be very fast, now hes pretty slow. has no explosiveness at all.

Mouse21* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 03:37 AM
dahrougem2

Package Ryan O'Reilly, David Jones, Stefan Elliott, and our 2nd Round Pick this season to Buffalo for Tyler Ennis, Drew Stafford, and Andrej Sekera

dahrougem2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 03:44 AM
shadow1

There probably isn't a worse contract in the entire NHL - that has three years remaining and isn't paying Rick Dipietro - but Colorado isn't exactly loaded at right wing so hopefully he turns the corner.

shadow1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 03:46 AM
Mouse21*

Quote:
Originally Posted by dahrougem2 View Post
Package Ryan O'Reilly, David Jones, Stefan Elliott, and our 2nd Round Pick this season to Buffalo for Tyler Ennis, Drew Stafford, and Andrej Sekera
nope.

Mouse21* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 03:51 AM
dahrougem2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouse21 View Post
nope.
Lol care to elaborate? Team's aren't going to give the moon for O'Reilly, Jones for Stafford is essentially a wash in my eyes although Stafford has more upside. Obviously O'Reilly is valued much more than Ennis is but Ennis is no slouch, tons of offensive potential and he can play both centre and wing. Sekera is much, MUCH more valuable than Elliott, or Barrie those two are interchangeable, and could be a guy we pair Johnson with. 2nd rounder to entice them a bit more, it's going to likely be an early 2nd round pick

dahrougem2 is offline   Reply With Quote