Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Chara to carry Slovak flag in Sochi opening ceremony

Old
01-16-2014, 06:25 AM
Ivanko

vCash: 500
Chara to carry Slovak flag in Sochi opening ceremony

I just read an article in Slovak newspapers that Chara will carry the flag for Slovakia in the Sochi Winter Olympics opening ceremony. My first thoughts were that it is a really nice honor for him and I can hardly think of a more deserving athlete to do it. However, I am also a little confused, because the opening ceremony is on 7 February and the Bruins play games on the 6th and 8th, so to make it there in time, he would have to miss these two games (or own a teleportation device). I guess he will be allowed to leave earlier by the team management? (kind of sucks with the defense being so depleted, but it's just 2 regular season games, so not a big deal I guess).

Here is a link to the article: http://sport.sme.sk/c/7068880/satan-...ie-vlajku.html

Ivanko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2014, 06:28 AM
4ORRBRUIN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivanko View Post
I just read an article in Slovak newspapers that Chara will carry the flag for Slovakia in the Sochi Winter Olympics opening ceremony. My first thoughts were that it is a really nice honor for him and I can hardly think of a more deserving athlete to do it. However, I am also a little confused, because the opening ceremony is on 7 February and the Bruins play games on the 6th and 8th, so to make it there in time, he would have to miss these two games (or own a teleportation device). I guess he will be allowed to leave earlier by the team management? (kind of sucks with the defense being so depleted, but it's just 2 regular season games, so not a big deal I guess).

Here is a link to the article: http://sport.sme.sk/c/7068880/satan-...ie-vlajku.html
Good for Chara .. Guys been a great captain and a great Bruin

4ORRBRUIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2014, 06:55 AM
Alicat
City of Champions!

What a great honor for him. Well deserved!

The sad part is that if he does miss the last 2 games he's going to be accused of not being a good Captain and being selfish by some media and posters (I really hope that doesn't happen).

I am Boston Strong

Alicat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2014, 07:27 AM
MTaylorJ1

Quote:

I'm curious to see what the reaction is to this. Great honor for Z. At the same time, his employer is compensating him quite nicely to play NHL games for them, so I can see where some people will get their feathers ruffled. Especially if the Olympics aren't your thing.

Me? I think Z needs a break anyway. One of those games is St. Louis on the road, if Z is in Sochi, I'd probably give Rask the night off too and call up Svedberg. 6-1 losses count the same as 3-1 losses. Give up a regular season game to be better conditioned for the playoffs.

MTaylorJ1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2014, 07:29 AM
BrainOfJ
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTaylorJ1 View Post
I'm curious to see what the reaction is to this. Great honor for Z. At the same time, his employer is compensating him quite nicely to play NHL games for them, so I can see where some people will get their feathers ruffled. Especially if the Olympics aren't your thing.

Me? I think Z needs a break anyway. One of those games is St. Louis on the road, if Z is in Sochi, I'd probably give Rask the night off too and call up Svedberg. 6-1 losses count the same as 3-1 losses. Give up a regular season game to be better conditioned for the playoffs.
Yeah, only issue is St. Louis is such a measuring stick game...but there are plenty of those dating back to the "cali swing" to the Olympics

BrainOfJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2014, 07:39 AM
Ivanko

Quote:

I fully agree with you. It's definitely better for him to miss some regular season games than be completely gassed out when playoffs start. Even more so due to the olympics where he will play big minutes for sure. It can be a win-win for him and the team - happy and rested Chara is better than unhappy and tired Chara. Also, an opportunity like that comes maybe once in his life and he deserves it.

Also, I just found a quote from the President of Slovak Olympic Committee confirming that he will be allowed to come earlier (my translation): "All NHL players will get the leave on 9 February, and fly from over the pond. Zdeno Chara will arrive earlier, his team gave him an exception. He is the only NHL player allowed to come to Sochi earlier."

Ivanko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2014, 07:42 AM
MTaylorJ1

Quote:
I fully agree with you. It's definitely better for him to miss some regular season games than be completely gassed out when playoffs start. Even more so due to the olympics where he will play big minutes for sure. It can be a win-win for him and the team - happy and rested Chara is better than unhappy and tired Chara. Also, an opportunity like that comes maybe once in his life and he deserves it.

Also, I just found a quote from the President of Slovak Olympic Committee confirming that he will be allowed to come earlier (my translation): "All NHL players will get the leave on 9 February, and fly from over the pond. Zdeno Chara will arrive earlier, his team gave him an exception. He is the only NHL player allowed to come to Sochi earlier."
Don't get me wrong, as an American Bruins fan, I hate the fact that Chara is playing in the Olympics. The same goes for Rask, Bergeron, Krejci, and Eriksson. But especially with Seidenberg out and knowing that Slovakia will ride Z like a mule in Sochi.

The olympics are great when your NHL team is a non-contender. If I were a Sabres fan I'd be all about them. Even in 2010, our team was so mediocre they didn't bother me, but the fact that we're nearing the end of the Chara window and we're already depleted on the back end. I hate them.

Old
01-16-2014, 07:45 AM
Baddkarma
El Guapo to most...

Send a message via AIM to Baddkarma
Z has been and is a great Bruin and pro. This is a great honor for him. I hate what the Olympics do to the NHL every year anyway, so I say let him attain this great honor.

Baddkarma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2014, 07:56 AM
Mainehockey33
HF Boards Founder

Good for him, he deserves it. He should miss a few games here and there so he can be rested for the playoffs but he's a workaholic. He's the perfect captain in my opinion.

Mainehockey33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2014, 07:57 AM
Donnie Shulzhoffer
Rocket Surgery

That flag will be easy to find in the crowd.

Donnie Shulzhoffer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2014, 08:03 AM
hoss75

I got another reason to watch the opening ceremony now... The other being a drinking game some neighbors invented

hoss75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2014, 08:16 AM
Greek_physique
Caron - Legit SNIPER

That's so cool! Awesome

01-16-2014, 08:41 AM
patty59

Murph thinks Bergeron should carry it instead.

patty59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2014, 09:09 AM
BrainOfJ
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Quote:
Originally Posted by patty59 View Post
Murph thinks Bergeron should carry it instead.
What's truly amazing is that Murphy has spent a career criticizing a guy who now has two jobs, while ol Jimmy searches for just one.

Old
01-16-2014, 09:17 AM
Scotto74
taking a break

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrainOfJ View Post
Yeah, only issue is St. Louis is such a measuring stick game...but there are plenty of those dating back to the "cali swing" to the Olympics
I don't believe in measuring stick games. I have seen to many times in the past one team dominate another during the regular season meetings only to get crushed in the playoff by the same team they measured so well against in the regular season.

BOSTON STRONG!!!
Scotto74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2014, 09:31 AM
RustyBruins72

IMO there's no greater honour than representing your country on a world stage. I think Chara is a very fitting person to carry their flag.

Congrats to big Z. I am sure he's thrilled!

RustyBruins72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2014, 09:34 AM
LSCII
Dark Cloud

Is he going to use a flag pole, or just hold up the flag on it's own since he's taller than everyone else?

Patriotism aside, I don't want any Bruins players in the games and risking injury for something that doesn't help the Bruins.

LSCII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2014, 09:49 AM
BrainOfJ
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotto74 View Post
I don't believe in measuring stick games. I have seen to many times in the past one team dominate another during the regular season meetings only to get crushed in the playoff by the same team they measured so well against in the regular season.
Yeah, I mean more for trade deadline sake.

Old
01-16-2014, 09:50 AM
MTaylorJ1

Quote:
Yeah, I mean more for trade deadline sake.
If Rask stands on his head and shuts out the Blues, would you still think we don't need a Seidenberg replacement?

I don't think that game is going to tell us anything we don't already know about our needs at the deadline.

Old
01-16-2014, 09:54 AM
TCL40

Great for him but if we don't replace Seids before then the defense will be junk.

The defense right now has 4 guys who are third pairing D-men.

TCL40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2014, 09:54 AM
BrainOfJ
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Quote:
If Rask stands on his head and shuts out the Blues, would you still think we don't need a Seidenberg replacement?

I don't think that game is going to tell us anything we don't already know about our needs at the deadline.
No, but if the D showed that they can play a structured game against a team with a very good chance at being one of the final 2, I'd be more comfortable with a 3/4 type than thinking we fully need another #2.

I mean, if it's Tuukka standing on his head, that's one thing. Doesn't reassure me about the D at all...but if it's a strong defensive effort against a deep team, that's another thing.

Cause so far, we haven't seen that yet.

Old
01-16-2014, 09:59 AM
MTaylorJ1

Quote:
No, but if the D showed that they can play a structured game against a team with a very good chance at being one of the final 2, I'd be more comfortable with a 3/4 type than thinking we fully need another #2.

I mean, if it's Tuukka standing on his head, that's one thing. Doesn't reassure me about the D at all...but if it's a strong defensive effort against a deep team, that's another thing.

Cause so far, we haven't seen that yet.
I don't think we will see it to be honest, so St. Louis wouldn't change my mind. Of course I thought we needed a 2/3 before the year even started given Z's age and the heavy workload Z and Seids have endured. Losing Seidenberg just highlights that for me.

Old
01-16-2014, 10:04 AM
BMC
PerJohan Axelsson

A tremendous honor & well deserved. Z will represent his country with dignity & class just like he does the Bruins.

BMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2014, 11:01 AM
Ladyfan
Miss Savvy and Looch

vCash: 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyBruins72 View Post
IMO there's no greater honour than representing your country on a world stage. I think Chara is a very fitting person to carry their flag.

Congrats to big Z. I am sure he's thrilled!
This ^ If Z has to miss a game or 2 than so be it.

Congrats Z !!!

01-16-2014, 11:40 AM
hubey

Congrats to Big Z!
Since coming to Boston he has been one of the main reasons this team has become one of the best in the league.

Good on the B's organization for allowing this to happen.

hubey is offline   Reply With Quote