HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Phaneuf talks contract

Old
02-18-2013, 01:49 PM
RealisticLeaf55
Hurt a Smurf

vCash: 2090
Phaneuf talks contract

http://t.co/yrWxVX86

"Right now I'm not focusing on [what happens] past my contract, but I definitely want to be here for the long-term. You look at the success the Marlies had with the young guys there and the way that we're playing here now. We're taking steps as a team and taking steps in the right direction as a team. I want to be a part of that when we're having success."

Great attitude towards his team

RealisticLeaf55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 01:50 PM
Daisy Joy
Jerry D'asigo

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RealisticLeaf55 View Post

"Right now I'm not focusing on [what happens] past my contract, but I definitely want to be here for the long-term. You look at the success the Marlies had with the young guys there and the way that we're playing here now. We're taking steps as a team and taking steps in the right direction as a team. I want to be a part of that when we're having success."

Sounds good too me

Daisy Joy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 01:51 PM
Brody
$$

vCash: 560
He's a great captain.

Brody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 01:53 PM
Mess
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RealisticLeaf55 View Post

I think Phaneuf is saying "play the kids" and he likes it.

02-18-2013, 01:54 PM
Jerkini

I'm probably one of Phaneuf's biggest fans, but you have to think he has to come down from that $6.5 cap hit. I think something in the $5 million range is reasonable, possibly an 8 year deal to lower the cap hit even further.

Jerkini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 01:54 PM
FlareKnight

vCash: 50
Well long as doing whatever he can to help the team means taking a paycut I'm all for it. Can't come back at the 6.5 he's been making.

But not a bad thing to keep him as a key part going forward. While the accuracy of that slapshot worries me, he has done well playing against tough opponents.

FlareKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 01:55 PM
LeafOfBread
van Dreamsdyk

I hope Nonis makes use of front-loading and contract variance so that he can still give Phaneuf good money up front but a manageable cap hit. That would be awesome.

LeafOfBread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 01:56 PM
johnny_rudeboy

Yes, he speaks like a Captain should. As an Dion doubter I was really pleased to read that he took a great deal of interest in the young ones. I really think he thrives being the senior figure playing for such a classic franchise as the Leafs.

johnny_rudeboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 01:56 PM
Pi

vCash: 100
I think Phaneuf will take a pay cut and stay with the Leafs. I don't know why people hate him.

The best reason I can think of is, we miss the playoffs, he's the captain, it's better to blame him or Kessel than some 4th line guy.

We have to lock him up before July 1st hits though..Flyers are going to be one desperate team looking for a good D.

They will probably bid for him to help with the loss of Timmonen/Pronger.

People need to realize this:

The Phaneuf that put up 50+ points in Calgary was not a defense first guy. That stigma has followed him...even though he's a much better defenseman now.

Ever since he has become a Leaf, he has played a shutdown role...this team depends on him to play 25 mins and he does it well.

Quote:
In eight games this month he has been on the ice for only three goals against at even-strength, despite logging nearly 20 minutes per game in such scenarios.

Pi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 02:00 PM
LeafOfBread
van Dreamsdyk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pi View Post
I think Phaneuf will take a pay cut and stay with the Leafs. I don't know why people hate him.

The best reason I can think of is, we miss the playoffs, he's the captain, it's better to blame him or Kessel than some 4th line guy.

We have to lock him up before July 1st hits though..Flyers are going to be one desperate team looking for a good D.

They will probably bid for him to help with the loss of Timmonen/Pronger.

People need to realize this:

The Phaneuf that put up 50+ points in Calgary was not a defense first guy. That stigma has followed him...even though he's a much better defenseman now.

Ever since he has become a Leaf, he has played a shutdown role...this team depends on him to play 25 mins and he does it well.
Yes, he's improved drastically. We need a solid #2 to insulate him though.

Old
02-18-2013, 02:03 PM
Al14

I don't dislike him, but, I find that he suffers from too many defensive brain farts (pilonitis) and can't hit the net to save his life (missitalotitis)!

Al14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 02:05 PM
Pi

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeafOfBread View Post
Yes, he's improved drastically. We need a solid #2 to insulate him though.
I hope one of Rielly or Gardiner fits that role.

Phaneuf has played pretty well considering he's never really known who his D partner is going to be from game to game.

Old
02-18-2013, 02:05 PM
zeke
#TeamReimer

Phaneuf doesn't miss the net any more than any other top scoring defenseman.

zeke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 02:08 PM
Pi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al14 View Post
I don't dislike him, but, I find that he suffers from too many defensive brain farts (pilonitis) and can't hit the net to save his life (missitalotitis)!
He does miss the net a lot but a few weeks ago I was reading an article that wrote that Phaneuf is not close to the worst in that department.

He had 12 goals last year. Guys like Pietrangelo, Doughty, Byfuglien, Chara etc have had trouble hitting the net too.

Old
02-18-2013, 02:09 PM
LeafOfBread
van Dreamsdyk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pi View Post
I hope one of Rielly or Gardiner fits that role.

Phaneuf has played pretty well considering he's never really known who his D partner is going to be from game to game.
Yeah, it's annoying how he's had a revolving door for partners. The only constant on the first pairing has been Phaneuf. Aside from that, he's played with Aulie, Gunnarsson, Schenn for a short period (this would've been an ideal pairing if we didn't ruin Schenn), Holzer, Kostka, Beauchemin, and he's had other guys rotate for a game or two here and there.

Out of all those guys the only one I really like with him is Gunnar. Beauch would've been a good partner under Carlyle, but definitely not Wilson.

Imo, a Stuart Percy type of defenseman would be a perfect partner for Phaneuf. He needs a smart, dependable safe partner, kind of like Suter-Weber.

Old
02-18-2013, 02:15 PM
FlareKnight

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeke View Post
Phaneuf doesn't miss the net any more than any other top scoring defenseman.
If he doesn't, sure makes it seem like that. He winds up and I'm only wondering how loud the sound will be when it goes high and hits the glass. Maybe if Phaneuf just wristed the puck more rather than too often going for an inaccurate kind of shot.

FlareKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 02:16 PM
Cap'n Flavour

Send a message via ICQ to Cap'n Flavour Send a message via MSN to Cap'n Flavour
I guess the ever-diligent hockey media absolutely has to cover this story months before Phaneuf or Kessel could possibly even begin negotiating contract extensions. There's nothing else to talk about in the NHL.

Cap'n Flavour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 02:17 PM
snizzbone
Give me the puck ;-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerkini View Post
I'm probably one of Phaneuf's biggest fans, but you have to think he has to come down from that $6.5 cap hit. I think something in the $5 million range is reasonable, possibly an 8 year deal to lower the cap hit even further.
Don't think there is a chance that happens. He'll still be in the 6-7 range.

snizzbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 02:18 PM
Al14

Nothing more than 5.0M cap hit on a new 5 year contract... that's what I would aim for if I were Nonis.

Al14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 02:21 PM
Pi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flowzie View Post
Don't think there is a chance that happens. He'll still be in the 6-7 range.
Yeah. I think his existing contract is good for me. 6-6.5 on a 6 year deal or so..

People have to realize that Matt Carle and Wiz make 5.5M when they were UFA's.

Old
02-18-2013, 02:21 PM
stakesishigh
how swede it is

As long as he doesn't get any raise in his salary, I'm thrilled to have him stick around long-term.

He's a huge part of this team.

stakesishigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 02:24 PM
416Leafer

Id be happy if we could get him signed longterm at 5.5-6. Considering Wideman, Wizniewski, Burns, etc have. I cant see it being any lower, and could still be up near 6.5. Hopefully not though.

416Leafer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 02:24 PM
sangreale

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al14 View Post
Unlike the fans who are always criticising him ... you know the ones suffering from don'thaveaclueitis.

sangreale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 02:25 PM
DirtyDion03
**** Brooklyn

vCash: 166
I think he'll get something like Edler. The contracts will be a bit different with the new CBA. Something like 5 or 5.25 seems far. Saves us some money too.

02-18-2013, 02:32 PM
Parkdale

I like Phaneuf...as a second pairing D. We still need a better #1 for this team.

edit: second pairing D meaning # 2 D

Last edited by Parkdale: 02-19-2013 at 12:06 PM. Reason: Clarify meaning of second pairing
Parkdale is offline   Reply With Quote